Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 247 2022 Top 150 Updated Today

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag View Post
    I don't know the impact YET, but I predict Gonzaga players won't have nearly the same potential N/I/L Ca$h earnings as other top-tier programs, or perhaps even as high as some lower tier programs (Memphis, BYU, Syracuse).

I'm not sure how much this may have so far resulted in high school recruits or potential transfers from other programs choosing against GU.

Part of me fears that with the loss of Roth, Lloyd, and BYU (weaker conference than ever) from the Zags' sphere of orbit, it's now-or-never for a national championship, and our "run" for 6 seasons 2017-2022 will be the high water mark. (5 squads in that time period realistically among the top 4 nationally each season - '17 '19 '20 '21 '22)
    StatZag - I think you hit the nail on the head. I do think the NIL thing is hurting Gonzaga recruiting. I think there is the perception that the players from other schools in power conferences can be paid more than what they can make at Gonzaga. I don't know enough about it but I think the NIL thing is not fully putting all schools on a level playing field.
    Love the Zags!!!

If we canít get good transfers and have a below standard 2023 class despite an amazing season on the court in 2021-22 then Iíll be concerned about our staying power in the top 5. But the top programs always have years where theyíre just top 25 good instead of top 5 good. Itís possible that will be us in 2022-23 if we lose a bunch of guys. Itís also possible Sallis and Hickman return and Timme decides to play a 4th year like Luka Garza did. Maybe NIL makes that a better option than moving overseas for the time being if he doesnít have NBA opportunities. I am super high on Hickman but donít think heís a lock to leave by any stretch. Iíd imagine the plan is 2 years and if he outperforms that then awesome for him and weíll probably win the title this year.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    If we can’t get good transfers and have a below standard 2023 class despite an amazing season on the court in 2021-22 then I’ll be concerned about our staying power in the top 5. But the top programs always have years where they’re just top 25 good instead of top 5 good. It’s possible that will be us in 2022-23 if we lose a bunch of guys. It’s also possible Sallis and Hickman return and Timme decides to play a 4th year like Luka Garza did. Maybe NIL makes that a better option than moving overseas for the time being if he doesn’t have NBA opportunities. I am super high on Hickman but don’t think he’s a lock to leave by any stretch. I’d imagine the plan is 2 years and if he outperforms that then awesome for him and we’ll probably win the title this year.
    This can change in an instant with a solid transfer or 2 and a surprise signing. Gonzaga the last 5-6 years finds ways to stay relevant and I don't see that changing for awhile.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by jsnider View Post
    StatZag I think the NIL thing is not fully putting all schools on a level playing field.
    exactly how I see it. But of course, Im in the camp of they should have left well enough alone.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    exactly how I see it. But of course, Im in the camp of they should have left well enough alone.
    Yes, but Few was a proponent of NIL, right? I gotta think GU knew the implications and thinks it’s well-positioned in this environment.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Yes, but Few was a proponent of NIL, right? I gotta think GU knew the implications and thinks it’s well-positioned in this environment.
    When you’re a coach you kinda have to say you’re for NIL don’t you? Seems like being against it might hurt recruiting a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    When you’re a coach you kinda have to say you’re for NIL don’t you? Seems like being against it might hurt recruiting a bit.
    Yes, but didn’t he go so far as testifying before Congress on its merits?

I definitely defer to Few et al on the merits of they know more than me and have a better feel for the implications something like this could impact in areas I’ve never considered, but on the surface I still disagree. The value of an college education is a very good trade off in my head. Then again I also disagree that minimum wage should be a “living wage” and not a “starting wage” but let’s not open up that lol

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Then again I also disagree that minimum wage should be a “living wage” and not a “starting wage” but let’s not open up that lol
    So, you're expressing an opinion on a topic, and then saying not to "open up" what you just opened up? Got it.

Exactly!

sorry, I'll slink back to Caldwells site now...

You must get it for free, I'm shocked anyone would pay for that...

Quote Originally Posted by jsnider View Post
    StatZag - I think you hit the nail on the head. I do think the NIL thing is hurting Gonzaga recruiting. I think there is the perception that the players from other schools in power conferences can be paid more than what they can make at Gonzaga. I don't know enough about it but I think the NIL thing is not fully putting all schools on a level playing field.
    The P-5 + BE conferences have a distinct advantage...they have tremendous income and financial support from their boosters, which in turn will provide stronger opportunities for their athletes. In this case many think that bigger is better and recruits will show a tendency to gravitate to these programs...Money talks and BS walks as the saying goes...It stands to reason that with all the assets these schools have they can and will develop a track record of signing top tier recruits in Bball and FB...money garners more money...

It will become increasingly more difficult for all the other conferences to compete for top tier basketball recruits. Recently we saw top tier recruits sign with HBC's but that is a rarity. IMO GU will get a top tier recruit but they won't be getting 2-3 top 25 recruits on any regular basis...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    The P-5 + BE conferences have a distinct advantage...they have tremendous income and financial support from their boosters, which in turn will provide stronger opportunities for their athletes. In this case many think that bigger is better and recruits will show a tendency to gravitate to these programs...Money talks and BS walks as the saying goes...It stands to reason that with all the assets these schools have they can and will develop a track record of signing top tier recruits in Bball and FB...money garners more money...

It will become increasingly more difficult for all the other conferences to compete for top tier basketball recruits. Recently we saw top tier recruits sign with HBC's but that is a rarity. IMO GU will get a top tier recruit but they won't be getting 2-3 top 25 recruits on any regular basis...
    You speak of conferences, but of real importance is budget and support. GU’s budget is in the top tier of the power conferences. GU is a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    You speak of conferences, but of real importance is budget and support. GU’s budget is in the top tier of the power conferences. GU is a unicorn.
    GU is a unicorn in a lot of respects, but they are behind the eight ball in this case. It's not the conferences per se that will be financially lucrative for the kids, it's the marketing potential. The Power Five teams in the largest media markets are in a much more advantageous position than a small school in the Pacific Northwest. Can you say UCLA, Syracuse, etc.? I'd also look for schools like SMU, Georgia Tech and Villanova to make a leap in attracting top tier prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    GU is a unicorn in a lot of respects, but they are behind the eight ball in this case. It's not the conferences per se that will be financially lucrative for the kids, it's the marketing potential. The Power Five teams in the largest media markets are in a much more advantageous position than a small school in the Pacific Northwest. Can you say UCLA, Syracuse, etc.? I'd also look for schools like SMU, Georgia Tech and Villanova to make a leap in attracting top tier prospects.
    Agree that GU is a Unicorn but the P-5 & BE total 76 teams in every major TV market in the country. GU by itself will be hard pressed to be able to find the resources to which these conferences/teams have access. If the BE were to invite GU to join then that would add to their marketing ability for their student athletes because the BE have connections in major TV markets as well.

All I'm saying is that the playing field isn't leveling out but on the contrary as GU by itself, in the WCC will be hard pressed to compete in NIL contacts/contracts for their student athletes...not say they won't be able to do better than many other teams in the west...

It isn't going to be easy for us...

Marketing?? People are just giving kids money now under the guise of NIL. Here's one example: https://www.ksl.com/article/50222512...on-scholarship

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Marketing?? People are just giving kids money now under the guise of NIL. Here's one example: https://www.ksl.com/article/50222512...on-scholarship
    Crazy. I see every BYU female athlete in every sport is being paid. About 6 thousand a year. A two million dollar contract. And that's from only one company. I'm sure more companies will jump on board.