Thread: Ask UW football why we don't play local teams in non conference games.

Default Ask UW football why we don't play local teams in non conference games.

Never underestimate a Grizzly! Montana Griz Football defeated the #20 UW Huskies tonight in what was just the sixth FCS win over a ranked FBS opponent in FCS history. Final score: 13-7. Welcome back to Grizzly football! #GoGriz

#7 ranked Iowa State almost lost to FCS team Northern Iowa yesterday as well.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Never underestimate a Grizzly! Montana Griz Football defeated the #20 UW Huskies tonight in what was just the sixth FCS win over a ranked FBS opponent in FCS history. Final score: 13-7. Welcome back to Grizzly football! #GoGriz

Great point.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Don't agree with the logic . Nothing to win and everything to lose by playing local teams. No real big reason we don't play a few of the locals. Anyone, anywhere, anytime? <- what happened to that??

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post

I love the Griz!

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Don't agree with the logic . Nothing to win and everything to lose by playing local teams. No real big reason we don't play a few of the locals. Anyone, anywhere, anytime? <- what happened to that??
    Because it's their Super Bowl. If we play the 250th ranked EWU team and they play out of their minds, we come out flat, we could be in the same boat.

Could be....... but we have a code. We never duck anyone. Big or small

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Could be....... but we have a code. We never duck anyone. Big or small
    I couldn't agree with you more doc.....it is exactly why we should play local teams.....if Eastern beat Gonzaga in a early non conference game it would a good thing for Eastern and for Gonzaga and for the Community....probably mean a couple hundred thousand in local economic activity .just my opinion of course....
    Last edited by bartruff1; 09-05-2021 at 05:28 PM.

- the thread title implies this is why we should not play local small colleges, yet to keep with the analogy the huskies had played montana before 18 times and had never lost.
    - heck i'd sign the eagles up for an 20 year scheduling contract if i knew going in we'd likely win 18 or 19 of the games.

- zags always play the small college teams, everyone does, so indeed why not ewu, idaho or montana. there is no greater risk of a loss there than western michigan or s.w. louisiana or is it s.e. louisiana? or is it n.e.....

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - the thread title implies this is why we should not play local small colleges, yet to keep with the analogy the huskies had played montana before 18 times and had never lost.
    - heck i'd sign the eagles up for an 20 year scheduling contract if i knew going in we'd likely win 18 or 19 of the games.

- zags always play the small college teams, everyone does, so indeed why not ewu, idaho or montana. there is no greater risk of a loss there than western michigan or s.w. louisiana or is it s.e. louisiana? or is it n.e.....
    The Griz beat the Huskies before...in 1920. This is something that happens like clockwork. Once a century.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Montana (and EWU) plays D-1 in hoops and not in a lower (FCS type, D2, D3) division. It is an apples and oranges comparison to football.

Erase the classifications. We still should play large and small. One might say since we don’t play football the comparison doesn’t matter. We should play big and small schools in this missed comparison
    Last edited by MDABE80; 09-06-2021 at 01:19 PM.

Obviously I’m pretty excited about the Griz
    Montana State lost in the final seconds to Wyoming also.
    Sports media is only talking about how poorly the Huskies played, no mention of how well Montana may have played. No respect!
    Go Griz!!
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

dont play against a local unranked team or you might lose like the Huskies just did?
    now take the word 'local' out of that sentence.
    you should get the same thing, we are a national brand, any loss to a same-ranked low
    (same as EWU or WSU) makes nat'l headlines.
    When its local it gets alot more money flowing, locally (just on GU side alone)

ZGZ nails it.