Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: WCC Replacement Candidates:

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    GCU has the fanbase, commitment from the institution, its stakeholders, and has a TON of money being poured into that program. Their financial commitment is 10x that of Pacific and they average about 3-5k more fans per game than any other institution outside of SMC/BYU and GU.
    While all of that may be true, GCU will never be a part of the WCC. Ever.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    While all of that may be true, GCU will never be a part of the WCC. Ever.
    Thank you, GZ.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Agree 100% if we're solely talking about basketball. The WCC has competitive programs in other sports.
    I'm sure you do. No argument there. But when it comes down to it, Gonzaga is known for its basketball program which, again, is the best west of the Rockies. Your basketball program feeds the rest of your athletic programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Very preceptive post...agree; however, there are many on here that think just adding another team well below GU's level will be fine and the WCC will just continue on as usual...

Don't know how or when but GU needs to move to a conference that adds the possibility of improved competition...unfortunately, P-5 conferences are out of the question due to location and more than likely the BE is as well...leaving only the MWC...time will tell whether we just stand pat or move...
    Again, you may do all right without adding another team, or bringing in Seattle. That, to me, is better than adding either WAC school that some on here are wont to do. You may be able to backfill the BYU schools but during conference time that is a bit harder to do. Personally, if we could add a home and home with you each year as a sort of quasi conference schedule I'd do that in a New York minute. We got really pissed when the MWC forced us to accept a 20 game in conference schedule.

To keep relevance with the way College Basketball conferences are changing we need to be aggressive and a bit selfish. I know it's not an easy fix but the WCC imo may be sloping the wrong direction.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    You assume that these programs are only going to up. Given the track record of the standard mid-major, I would say that is a mistake. Gonzaga cannot rely on the POTENTIAL of new members to guide its own future. These schools could easily backslide and the odds are certainly in favor of that happening. Just look how difficult it has been for any other existing school in the WCC; why would GCU be any different?
    This is absolutely true. The year Pacific joined the WCC (2013), the Tigers played in the NCAA tournament. Take a look at 'em now. The WCC maybe thought they were buying Wagyu in 2013, but they got stuck with carrion.

Keep it where it is. Any team added will worsen the league. To hell with the uneven conference schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Keep it where it is. Any team added will worsen the league. To hell with the uneven conference schedule.
    What about any MWC teams? That league is about to implode. I'm guessing there aren't any schools there currently that fit the mold though.

All the teams should play a full schedule of home and home games......If a school can't support the league it should GTF out.....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    All the teams should play a full schedule of home and home games......If a school can't support the league it should GTF out.....
    Yeah, Few doesn’t agree with this. Neither did Roth, nor does Chris. We are no longer in the 1970s-2000.

Ya....they would rather play Merrimack ...definitely the team of the future....or Dixie State.....Alcorn State.....Bellarmine.....Central Michigan....Tarleton.....Northern Arizona.....North Alabama.....

I am not responsible for what they think...only for what I think....

Ya....they would rather play Merrimack ...definitely the team of the future....or Dixie State.....Alcorn State.....Bellarmine.....Central Michigan....Tarleton.....Northern Arizona.....North Alabama.....

KenPom rankings of this bunch from last year: 287, 328, 342, 167, 281, 261, 319, 273.
    If the reason for dropping 2 conference games was to reduce the number of bad games on the schedule this seems to not be working. Once BYU leaves, and if we don’t add anyone, playing everyone twice would be 16 conference games just like now. With the major conferences adding more conference games it is harder to find quality non con games and this is what we end up with. Are any of those really better than playing USD or Portland twice?

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    KenPom rankings of this bunch from last year: 287, 328, 342, 167, 281, 261, 319, 273.
    If the reason for dropping 2 conference games was to reduce the number of bad games on the schedule this seems to not be working. Once BYU leaves, and if we don’t add anyone, playing everyone twice would be 16 conference games just like now. With the major conferences adding more conference games it is harder to find quality non con games and this is what we end up with. Are any of those really better than playing USD or Portland twice?
    I suspect two of those will be substituted with quality opponents. But yes, it is worse. In the doldrums of conference, an additional home-and-home arrangement would serve no positive purpose for the program. Some of these early gimmes can be helpful for a myriad of reasons. And there is the financial component of ticket sales to consider.

The Zags are into driving their Ferrari up and down the driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    What about any MWC teams? That league is about to implode. I'm guessing there aren't any schools there currently that fit the mold though.
    No, the MWC isn't going to implode. Once the AAC lost UC, UH and UCF they became the 6th best conference as TV money goes. You go on their site
    they claimed that they would raid the Big12 after UT and OU left. That didn't happen, they lost their best 3 teams to the Big12. Then they were going to get SDSU and BSU from the MWC. Nope. Finally, they went for AFA and CSU in the MWC. Nope again.

I have no idea what happens next, but we would really love to have Gonzaga in the MWC. Normally, BB programs don't "move the needle" but y'all do.

If you stay put and don't add teams then consider adding a couple of games with MWC teams annually. A quasi conference game done during the normal conference year so you, and us, gets some national exposure. Would y'all like a game against SDSU and, say UNLV (or UNR) for two games per year in the middle of conference play? Hell. just adding us home and away each year would be something special. Two games between two of the top 5 teams in the West. People would watch.

It’s not going to be as easy to convince the better programs from MWC or WAC who usually finish in the sub-150 NET range to join the WCC as we might think. Both BYU and Pacific arrived with recent NCAA tournament history and expectations of more to come. Pacific hasn’t been to the dance since while BYU never won the auto bid and has been forced into play-in games when they did get an at large. GU has been “too” dominant lately and made the rest of the WCC look “worse” than it probably really is. Who wants to come to the WCC to play second fiddle to GU? What’s in it for them that they don’t have where they are already?

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    It’s not going to be as easy to convince the better programs from MWC or WAC who usually finish in the sub-150 NET range to join the WCC as we might think. Both BYU and Pacific arrived with recent NCAA tournament history and expectations of more to come. Pacific hasn’t been to the dance since while BYU never won the auto bid and has been forced into play-in games when they did get an at large. GU has been “too” dominant lately and made the rest of the WCC look “worse” than it probably really is. Who wants to come to the WCC to play second fiddle to GU? What’s in it for them that they don’t have where they are already?

ZZ
    No current MWC team would consider joining the WCC as we all have football programs. However, Gonzaga to the MWC would be a done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by AztecDen View Post
    No current MWC team would consider joining the WCC as we all have football programs. However, Gonzaga to the MWC would be a done deal.
    Yes, you're right...football drives conferences with football teams; subsequently, NO MWC teams would be migrating to the WCC.

As we all now know, the WCC w/o BYU is a much weaker basketball conference and I believe that GU will eventually move to the MWC, where strong teams (SDSU, BSU USU, & UNLV) would give GU a much better challenge for GU then the current WCC schools can offer...

I believe all the MWC schools have much larger facilities then any of the current WCC programs, except for BYU...

IMO MWC would have more invitations to the dance than would the WCC...we have only had three schools one time and most probably three teams in 2020...MWC has had multiple bids several times and recall four teams a few years back

Yes, you're right...football drives conferences with football teams; subsequently, NO MWC teams would be migrating to the WCC.

As we all now know, the WCC w/o BYU is a much weaker basketball conference and I believe that GU will eventually move to the MWC, where strong teams (SDSU, BSU USU, & UNLV) would give GU a much better challenge for GU then the current WCC schools can offer...

I believe all the MWC schools have much larger facilities then any of the current WCC programs, except for BYU...

IMO MWC would have more invitations to the dance than would the WCC...we have only had three schools one time and most probably three teams in 2020...MWC has had multiple bids several times and recall four teams a few years back
    If sports were the only criteria, I think you would be right...however the affiliation with WCC schools is a different type of school with different values, private faith based schools as opposed to secular state schools.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    If sports were the only criteria, I think you would be right...however the affiliation with WCC schools is a different type of school with different values, private faith based schools as opposed to secular state schools.
    So you believe that GU won't leave the WCC for the MWC or BE for that matter, because of the religious affiliation with all those WCC schools - sans UOP? IMO I think those ties will be cut at some point in the future...

So you believe that GU won't leave the WCC for the MWC or BE for that matter, because of the religious affiliation with all those WCC schools - sans UOP? IMO I think those ties will be cut at some point in the future...
    Leaving for the MW or the BE would be 2 totally different things. The MW is large public football playing schools and not much of an upgrade for basketball. The BE are made up of Catholic non-football schools for the most part. I would consider the MW and BE to be almost exact opposites for possible conferences for GU to move to. The only thing the MW would have going for it would be better travel than the BE.

UOP is a religious affiliated school of the right size in the right location...a Methodist is just a Catholic with a good job....

UOP is a religious affiliated school of the right size in the right location...a Methodist is just a Catholic with a good job....
    'About University of the Pacific
    Originally a Methodist institution, Pacific now carries no set religious affiliation. In addition to its liberal arts based College of the Pacific, courses are taught at the schools of Business, Health Sciences, Engineering, Law, Dentistry, and Education.'

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    'About University of the Pacific
    Originally a Methodist institution, Pacific now carries no set religious affiliation. In addition to its liberal arts based College of the Pacific, courses are taught at the schools of Business, Health Sciences, Engineering, Law, Dentistry, and Education.'
    Well...they are even smarter than I thought they were... but in any case Gonzaga is going to stay in the WCC and the WCC is not going to invite a MW school....IMHO of course

Well...they are even smarter than I thought they were... but in any case Gonzaga is going to stay in the WCC and the WCC is not going to invite a MW school....IMHO of course
    I agree. Gonzaga is MORE than sports.