Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: WCC Replacement Candidates:

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    GCU has the fanbase, commitment from the institution, its stakeholders, and has a TON of money being poured into that program. Their financial commitment is 10x that of Pacific and they average about 3-5k more fans per game than any other institution outside of SMC/BYU and GU.
    While all of that may be true, GCU will never be a part of the WCC. Ever.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    While all of that may be true, GCU will never be a part of the WCC. Ever.
    Thank you, GZ.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Agree 100% if we're solely talking about basketball. The WCC has competitive programs in other sports.
    I'm sure you do. No argument there. But when it comes down to it, Gonzaga is known for its basketball program which, again, is the best west of the Rockies. Your basketball program feeds the rest of your athletic programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Very preceptive post...agree; however, there are many on here that think just adding another team well below GU's level will be fine and the WCC will just continue on as usual...

Don't know how or when but GU needs to move to a conference that adds the possibility of improved competition...unfortunately, P-5 conferences are out of the question due to location and more than likely the BE is as well...leaving only the MWC...time will tell whether we just stand pat or move...
    Again, you may do all right without adding another team, or bringing in Seattle. That, to me, is better than adding either WAC school that some on here are wont to do. You may be able to backfill the BYU schools but during conference time that is a bit harder to do. Personally, if we could add a home and home with you each year as a sort of quasi conference schedule I'd do that in a New York minute. We got really pissed when the MWC forced us to accept a 20 game in conference schedule.

To keep relevance with the way College Basketball conferences are changing we need to be aggressive and a bit selfish. I know it's not an easy fix but the WCC imo may be sloping the wrong direction.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    You assume that these programs are only going to up. Given the track record of the standard mid-major, I would say that is a mistake. Gonzaga cannot rely on the POTENTIAL of new members to guide its own future. These schools could easily backslide and the odds are certainly in favor of that happening. Just look how difficult it has been for any other existing school in the WCC; why would GCU be any different?
    This is absolutely true. The year Pacific joined the WCC (2013), the Tigers played in the NCAA tournament. Take a look at 'em now. The WCC maybe thought they were buying Wagyu in 2013, but they got stuck with carrion.