Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: WCC Replacement Candidates:

Only thing I love about this is BYU came in thinking they would own the conference. They will leave never have winning the conference or conference tourney. However I hate the fact of them moving on. Just no easy fix or appeal. I wish we had another opportunity to entertain a high level conference.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    That's great news for the rest of the WCC, but what about Gonzaga? These are poor replacements for BYU.
    Got any better ideas? This is the WCC? Better for Gonzaga? leave the league. You arent going to get better than GCU or CBU joining the WCC. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Got any better ideas? This is the WCC? Better for Gonzaga? leave the league. You arent going to get better than GCU or CBU joining the WCC. Sorry.
    Yes!

You own stock in GCU?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    You own stock in GCU?

You own stock in GCU?
    Basically.

GU starts a JV program for WCC play so all Olympic sports can have a home and Varsity enters Big East Basketball only....get big GU donors to cough up huge entry fee to buy off BE...i mean offset travel costs

Basically.
    Common or preferred? And with the Baptists, too?

Basically.
    Sell. The US Department of Education will come for GCU eventually.

Speaking of stock....any CEO or CFO will tell you it is much easier to grow the bottom line (earnings) than it is to grow the top line (revenue) so if you are trying to expand market share....that is risky business.....you need to enter markets that have less competition like Seattle rather than Denver or Phoenix that have NBA and P5 teams.....

It is much quicker and effective to grow earnings by cutting costs....like travel and lodging ....

Sell. The US Department of Education will come for GCU eventually.
    I dunno. The Department of Education should be abolished due to the dismal product coming out of public schools. They've got more pressing issues besides GCU. The kids can't read, write or balance a checkbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    I dunno. The Department of Education should be abolished due to the dismal product coming out of public schools. They've got more pressing issues besides GCU. The kids can't read, write or balance a checkbook.
    That, too. I said eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    or balance a checkbook.

They actually use those?
    But we don't play nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    They actually use those?
    Good point. I should have been more in tune with today's financial tools. But, don't get me started on the idiocy of debit and credit cards.

Looks like there’s an ongoing dispute about whether GCU is for-profit or non-profit.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...nd-who-decides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking into the Big East a bit today and I know it would be a huge upgrade for Men’s basketball, but it would be a downgrade for baseball and other than UConn a downgrade for women’s basketball as well. It will be hard to justify the move for only one sport when you add in all the extra travel.

SanDiego writer says Mountain West looks for us to join it. Apart from religious affiliations in Wcnc, it would be quite an elevation in competition and stature. We were ok with pre BYU WCC but that’s what we would return to.
    For me, I’d aim higher. Offers are coming in. Not for the upcoming season but beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    SanDiego writer says Mountain West looks for us to join it. Apart from religious affiliations in Wcnc, it would be quite an elevation in competition and stature. We were ok with pre BYU WCC but that’s what we would return to.
    For me, I’d aim higher. Offers are coming in. Not for the upcoming season but beyond.
    Really? For basketball? This conversation was beat to death a few years ago when GU threatened to leave and it was a wash. Back then the WCC routinely had the higher RPI and was always getting two teams in. They only got one team in the year the tournament was cancelled. I guess it might be a small step up but now. It probably makes more sense now without BYU but it still doesn't seem like a substantial step up.

Quote Originally Posted by jayray View Post
    Really? For basketball? This conversation was beat to death a few years ago when GU threatened to leave and it was a wash. Back then the WCC routinely had the higher RPI and was always getting two teams in. They only got one team in the year the tournament was cancelled. I guess it might be a small step up but now. It probably makes more sense now without BYU but it still doesn't seem like a substantial step up.
    His thoughts. Just to be clear. There will be others who invite.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I was looking into the Big East a bit today and I know it would be a huge upgrade for Men’s basketball, but it would be a downgrade for baseball and other than UConn a downgrade for women’s basketball as well. It will be hard to justify the move for only one sport when you add in all the extra travel.
    Basketball pays for them all. The tail doesn’t wag the dog.

Can't we just bulldoze another 2 blocks of the logan neighborhood and put in a football stadium already. They don't have to be good, which means we only beat WSU every year.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    Only thing I love about this is BYU came in thinking they would own the conference. They will leave never have winning the conference or conference tourney. However I hate the fact of them moving on. Just no easy fix or appeal. I wish we had another opportunity to entertain a high level conference.
    They have two seasons left to try and win either conference title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Smile Would Love To See...

...some kind of hybrid WCC & MWC. A semi-merger, as it were. Maybe basketball merger only. Don't know how'd that work, what it'd look like. This fan really likes our WCC schools. Would be great to add New Mexico, San Diego State, Nevada, and UNLV to our annual schedule. All those schools have had quality and/or top quality B-ball programs in the past.

I think the answer will have to come down to some kind of basketball only merger (all other sports staying as is). The Big East is just too, too, too far away. Let's add two annual flights to Nevada, another to SoCal, and a new one to New Mexico instead. Wonder if anyone's thought of pitching such a B-ball structure to the college sports networks -- CBS, Fox, ESPN, etc.

Step 1: Build the right TV package
    Step 2: Merge the two conferences's basketball programs.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Doc,
    The WCC will be a much weaker conference w/o BYU and a totally weaker conference w/o GU too...

None of the P5 conferences will invite GU so there are several smaller conferences that would love to have GU join but at best, those conferences would still be a one bid conference.

There are no other quality teams around that adding them would strengthen the WCC to take the place of BYU...none, nada...

The argument that the MWC only had one team in the 2019-2020 year is not an argument for not joining the MWC...without GU the WCC is only a one team conference, so with GU then the MWC would be at a minimum of a two bid conference and with their past history, possibly four teams might get invited...my best recollection was 3-WCC teams were in the Dance ONE TIME...

We will have to see what happens after two years, when BYU actually leaves...but the MWC has 11 schools all of which play football but adding a Bball only school like GU would be their 12th team for Bball...

Doc, you might be right that other offers may come in but outside of the MWC and the pipe dream of the BE are you thinking of any others?

Last time I saw our basketball budget was well beyond 3 times the average WCC budget and better than almost all of the pac 12 schools.