Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: WCC Replacement Candidates:

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Seattle makes the most sense and used to be a member.....I don't give a rip about RPI or RPM or any of that stuff..... Gonzaga controls it's own destiny for the NCAA Tourney....
    I’d be good with Seattle too. Nobody out west is going to add anything basketball wise. GU’s options for leaving are limited. The PAC 12 isn’t interested, the MWC isn’t an upgrade, the Big East is the best option except every other team is 2-3 time zones away. There are no schools out West that would fit the Big East other than GU, so we’d be on our own out here.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    Would rather drop a member than water down an already weak group.
    outside the box....i like it

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    Would rather drop a member than water down an already weak group.
    As I noted on Twitter, looking at last year's KenPom, if we lose BYU and Portland, our average KenPom rating would go from 8.55 to 9.88.

BYU fans: "We get to play Kansas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma St, Houston, Cincinnati, and all these other great schools - twice a season!"
    Gonzaga fans: "Well WE might get to play Seattle U, a diploma mill, or a former NAIA team!"

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Iíd be good with Seattle too. Nobody out west is going to add anything basketball wise. GUís options for leaving are limited. The PAC 12 isnít interested, the MWC isnít an upgrade, the Big East is the best option except every other team is 2-3 time zones away. There are no schools out West that would fit the Big East other than GU, so weíd be on our own out here.
    Seattle U playing in renovated Key Arena gets my vote, if they can hire a big name coach to go with the big time arena no reason they canít develop a quality hoops program. a conference game in Seattle every year would be jazzy!
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Seattle U playing in renovated Key Arena gets my vote, if they can hire a big name coach to go with the big time arena no reason they can’t develop a quality hoops program. a conference game in Seattle every year would be jazzy!
    Approximately how long do you think all of that will take to happen? One season? Two? You make it sound so easy to develop a "quality hoops program".

When BYU leaves we should not replace them. In fact we should ask who else should go.

One of the worst secondary effects of BYU coming was the addition of Pacific, which was always a bad idea. Adding two teams instead of one led, initially, to four more WCC and four fewer OOC slots in the schedule.

Because BYU had been consistently decent, the trade off had been at least palatable.

But without BYU we lose any benefit to the trade off and are left just with another mediocre to bad (depending on the season) WCC team to furnish us meaningless wins that drag down our tournament resume and don’t challenge our mettle.

Gonzaga should whittle the WCC schedule down to as few games annually as the NCAA will allow. Currently the bottom two teams only play the top two once per year the following year. Can we expand that principle to the bottom four only playing the top four once a year, and slot the four games that are this freed up with high quality opposition?

Just a thought because I don’t see any better options.

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    When BYU leaves we should not replace them. In fact we should ask who else should go.

One of the worst secondary effects of BYU coming was the addition of Pacific, which was always a bad idea. Adding two teams instead of one led, initially, to four more WCC and four fewer OOC slots in the schedule.

Because BYU had been consistently decent, the trade off had been at least palatable.

But without BYU we lose any benefit to the trade off and are left just with another mediocre to bad (depending on the season) WCC team to furnish us meaningless wins that drag down our tournament resume and don’t challenge our mettle.

Gonzaga should whittle the WCC schedule down to as few games annually as the NCAA will allow. Currently the bottom two teams only play the top two once per year the following year. Can we expand that principle to the bottom four only playing the top four once a year, and slot the four games that are this freed up with high quality opposition?

Just a thought because I don’t see any better options.
    You might free up another couple of games, but where are the non-con opponents going to come from? With all the consolidation amongst the big boys, their conference schedules are going to increase, causing earlier start points for their conference slates. This in turn equals fewer opportunities for P6 games for the Zags.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    As I noted on Twitter, looking at last year's KenPom, if we lose BYU and Portland, our average KenPom rating would go from 8.55 to 9.88.
    Start cutting from the bottom, like a poorly written news story.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Boise and SDSU. Maybe AFA for prestige. Have to dispense with the CYO church league character, unfortunately. Break the mold, think outside the box. Whether the WCC leadership has that ability, we shall see. They should retain Mike Roth as a consultant on expansion, or league development, yadda.
    Sorry jazz, AFA adds zero prestige in basketball or academics. Itís no longer the engine that produces air warriors, itís just another woke school.

Now thatís a role for which the league has plenty of candidates.
    Get yer dartboard out!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Sorry jazz, AFA adds zero prestige in basketball or academics. It’s no longer the engine that produces air warriors, it’s just another woke school.
    C'mon Tex. Surely you jest, or perhaps a it's the result of a hangover from TB12 drubbing your 'Boys. AFA is a top 30 liberal arts college. Maybe it's the "liberal" that's off-putting.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...e-academy-1369

C'mon Tex. Surely you jest, or perhaps a it's the result of a hangover from TB12 drubbing your 'Boys. AFA is a top 30 liberal arts college. Maybe it's the "liberal" that's off-putting.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...e-academy-1369
    Sorry jazz, the “Boys “ aren’t my team, never were. NFL is dead to me.

I’m at work, but I recall a cheating scandal at the AFA last year. I’ll check it out tonight.

It’s not just the AFA, our military and its institutions are a shadow of what they once were.

BTW, did you see my PM to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Tetonka Test View Post
    Based purely on Academic reputation, I'd rate them as follows:

1. Air Force
    2. Denver
    3. Seattle
    4. Cal Baptist
    5. Grand Canyon
    Ignoring academics for a moment, and purely ranking basketball upside (none of these have any real existing prestige)

1. Grand Canyon. Brings a passionate fanbase. Good recruiting market in Phoenix. New Market for the WCC. Good facilities.
    2. Denver. Brings a new market in Denver. Good facilitates.
    3. Seattle. Promoting them to the WCC would be a mistake IMO, as they'd steal recruits from Gonzaga. But they have a good market. Good facilities.
    4. Air Force. A new market. Good fanbase. But little basketball upside because of recruiting limitations.
    5. Cal Baptist. I don't know anything about them.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Sorry jazz, the “Boys “ aren’t my team, never were. NFL is dead to me.

I’m at work, but I recall a cheating scandal at the AFA last year. I’ll check it out tonight.

It’s not just the AFA, our military and its institutions are a shadow of what they once were.

BTW, did you see my PM to you?

Cheating scandals have been endemic at the academies since I got an appointment back in the 60s to the new AFA and the USMA (bowed out of both). The stringent honor code and the pressure to survive much less succeed is immense. My son played BB in the Patriot League and always felt it a privilege to take the court at those campuses once a year.

I recall a PM but not the subject. Back to work you go.

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post

This is exactly what I posted in the other thread on the topic. If Pacific joined with BYU, the ideal situation would be to drop them with BYU leaving. I know that's harsh, and I'm sorry, but from a purely pragmatic stance, it'd be the best move. They never made sense to be added in the first place. Denver or Seattle would've made more sense back then, but I don't see any reason to make things worse by bringing them in now.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by Tetonka Test View Post
    3. Seattle. Promoting them to the WCC would be a mistake IMO, as they'd steal recruits from Gonzaga. But they have a good market. Good facilities.

Steal soccer recruits?

The solution (outside of joining another conference) is as follows:

The WCC schedule will be spread out over the course of the entire basketball season. The 2 bottom feeders do not get a Gonzaga home game. These two bottom feeders will play Gonzaga in October or November, which will allow Gonzaga to play conference games as warm ups instead of scheduling teams like Texas Southern early in the season. Gonzaga needs to strike deals with the Big 12, MWU, AAC and even the Pac 12 to play home/home or even one-off non-conference games against teams like SDSU, BYU, Baylor, Memphis, etc. in January, February and March. Gonzaga will be allowed to schedule conference games in October to December to allow for flexibility to schedule non-conference games in January to March. The TV Networks need to help Gonzaga get this set up, along with friends at places like BYU, Baylor, etc.

The WCC will not add a 10th team.

All away conference games against teams like SMC, SCU, Pepperdine, Stockton, Portland, etc. will be played in NBA arenas (Oracle, Chase, SAP, Staples Center, Moda, Stockton Arena, etc. No more high school gyms.

First college basketball game is November 9th.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    The solution (outside of joining another conference) is as follows:

The WCC schedule will be spread out over the course of the entire basketball season. The 2 bottom feeders do not get a Gonzaga home game. These two bottom feeders will play Gonzaga in October or November, which will allow Gonzaga to play conference games as warm ups instead of scheduling teams like Texas Southern early in the season. Gonzaga needs to strike deals with the Big 12, MWU, AAC and even the Pac 12 to play home/home or even one-off non-conference games against teams like SDSU, BYU, Baylor, Memphis, etc. in January, February and March. Gonzaga will be allowed to schedule conference games in October to December to allow for flexibility to schedule non-conference games in January to March. The TV Networks need to help Gonzaga get this set up, along with friends at places like BYU, Baylor, etc.

The WCC will not add a 10th team.

All away conference games against teams like SMC, SCU, Pepperdine, Stockton, Portland, etc. will be played in NBA arenas (Oracle, Chase, SAP, Staples Center, Moda, Stockton Arena, etc. No more high school gyms.
    I like that idea just don’t think that will happen (playing other opponents during conference games). All of these big conferences are going to add more conference games squeezing the smaller conference schools. Last year GU tried to schedule Villanova and a few other games during conference play. Those didn’t work out even with some cancellations to those schools schedules. This alignment change really exasperates the situation which is a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Honestly from a basketball standpoint - what a bunch of garbage.
    Yea why are we so keen on adding terrible basketball programs? Go poach SDSU and that's about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

AFA would immediately burnish the leagueís academic rep. Much like the USNA and USMA in the Patriot league. Spectacular choice.
    Well damn, why donít we just invite Duke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bayÖ small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I know all of these schools very well.

GCU and Cal Baptist in terms of investment to athletics and facilities would be the best candidates. Both are up and coming programs and would not only finish top 5 in terms of competition this coming year, but they each would have the 2nd nicest arena's in the WCC from day one. I would guess i know more than any commenting on here about these candidates

GCU's atmosphere is as good in game as GCU's and cal baptist has the fourth highest attendance per game in So Cal behind UCLA, SDSU and USC.

Seattle is awful, their program isnt good and their fan support isnt either.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Yea why are we so keen on adding terrible basketball programs? Go poach SDSU and that's about it.
    Maybe it’s a church league thing.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I know all of these schools very well.

GCU and Cal Baptist in terms of investment to athletics and facilities would be the best candidates. Both are up and coming programs and would not only finish top 5 in terms of competition this coming year, but they each would have the 2nd nicest arena's in the WCC from day one. I would guess i know more than any commenting on here about these candidates
    That's great news for the rest of the WCC, but what about Gonzaga? These are poor replacements for BYU.