Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: WCC Replacement Candidates:

I don't think The BE is a pipe dream at this point. It is realistically our only play left other than going independent or MWC.

Who is going to broadcast the 1st day or two of the WCC Basketball tournament if there's gonna be no BYUTV?

That is the only thing I am going to miss when they bail.

Oh .... That and my visits to www.cougarboard.com when they lose to Pepperdine, Loyola Marymount, Portland etc. That was ALWAYS entertaining for me.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Zags basketball competing in the Pac 12 would be a great fit, but obviously can't happen without a competitive football team.
    It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rijman View Post
    Zags basketball competing in the Pac 12 would be a great fit, but obviously can't happen without a competitive football team.
    And also becoming a research institution

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Who is going to broadcast the 1st day or two of the WCC Basketball tournament if there's gonna be no BYUTV?

That is the only thing I am going to miss when they bail.

Oh .... That and my visits to www.cougarboard.com when they lose to Pepperdine, Loyola Marymount, Portland etc. That was ALWAYS entertaining for me.
    I respectfully disagree with this.

Personally, I will miss at least two and sometimes three top 50 conference games on our resume, with one at home every year automatically without any scheduling headaches.

I will miss seeing what are usually good entertaining and competitive games where we are tested. And sometimes even beaten by good solid competition.

I will miss the competition on other sports which is genuinely solid across the board.

I will miss the annual game at BYU, which gives us a chance to play in a truly large hostile environment.

If we are relegated to the WCC of yore without BYU it is a MAJOR blow for the program and the conference. And you don’t have to like BYU or its fans to appreciate this fact.

This is not good news for us, whether you will “miss” BYU or not.

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post

Personally, I will miss at least two and sometimes three top 50 conference games on our resume, with one at home every year automatically without any scheduling headaches.

I will miss seeing what are usually good entertaining and competitive games where we are tested. And sometimes even beaten by good solid competition.

I will miss the competition on other sports which is genuinely solid across the board.

I will miss the annual game at BYU, which gives us a chance to play in a truly large hostile environment.

If we are relegated to the WCC of yore without BYU it is a MAJOR blow for the program and the conference. And you don’t have to like BYU or its fans to appreciate this fact.

Yup - I very much look forward to the BYU games...they are/were a great foil. Do people honestly get up and excited for playing Santa Clara, Portland, San Diego, or any of the other flotsam? They're lying if they say they do. Only St. Mary's has provided the same interest, but even they have fallen off the radar after the last few years.

"Do people honestly get up and excited for playing Santa Clara, Portland, San Diego, or any of the other flotsam? "

Yes, I'd say the majority here do, inexplicable as that may seem.

in a washington generals way

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    "Do people honestly get up and excited for playing Santa Clara, Portland, San Diego, or any of the other flotsam? "

Yes, I'd say the majority here do, inexplicable as that may seem.
    Historically, there are about 3-4 home games per year that are looked at with anticipation (here is this year's home schedule: Dixie St, UT, Alcorn St, Bellamine, Merrimack, UW, Tarleton St, NAU, North Alabama, USF, Pepp, BYU, LMU, UP, Pacific, SMC, SC). This year, along with Texas, BYU is by far the best team coming to the Kennel. BYU has annually provided one of the best home games and is one of the few road games that is in a hostile environment on the opposition's campus (our OOC schedule is good this year but all are neutral site games). The MW is probably a lateral move at best. The Pac-12 is a non-starter due to both football and academics. The BE is a tough sell due to logistics and costs to the other 13 varsity sports. I don't know that there is a good replacement to BYU, but please don't double down on stupid and add a bad school just for the sake of adding somebody. And maybe, just maybe, a few less Dixies, Merrimacks, Tarletons, NAU, N AL, etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by spike_jr View Post
    Historically, there are about 3-4 home games per year that are looked at with anticipation (here is this year's home schedule: Dixie St, UT, Alcorn St, Bellamine, Merrimack, UW, Tarleton St, NAU, North Alabama, USF, Pepp, BYU, LMU, UP, Pacific, SMC, SC). This year, along with Texas, BYU is by far the best team coming to the Kennel. BYU has annually provided one of the best home games and is one of the few road games that is in a hostile environment on the opposition's campus (our OOC schedule is good this year but all are neutral site games). The MW is probably a lateral move at best. The Pac-12 is a non-starter due to both football and academics. The BE is a tough sell due to logistics and costs to the other 13 varsity sports. I don't know that there is a good replacement to BYU, but please don't double down on stupid and add a bad school just for the sake of adding somebody. And maybe, just maybe, a few less Dixies, Merrimacks, Tarletons, NAU, N AL, etc.....
    Deaf ears, spike.

I'm not sure y'all really need to replace BYU, you can pretty much schedule anyone you want to fill those two spots. As for the MWC a few programs have gotten better recently: Nevada, Boise St. and Colorado State. My school, SDSU, has been solid for the last 16 years. UNLV and New Mexico have been hurt by bad coaching hires. Having a 12 team conference (Hawaii football only paired with you) with a West and East Division with a few crossover games to get to 14 still gives you plenty of scheduling opportunities and you would be playing in arenas. I think it would be a good basketball league, especially if UNLV and New Mexico can get back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post

Yeah. I pretty much agree with everything you have said, yet I am not a big enough person to articulate that. So I will stick with missing BYU TV and leave it at that.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Quote Originally Posted by AztecDen View Post
    I'm not sure y'all really need to replace BYU, you can pretty much schedule anyone you want to fill those two spots. As for the MWC a few programs have gotten better recently: Nevada, Boise St. and Colorado State. My school, SDSU, has been solid for the last 16 years. UNLV and New Mexico have been hurt by bad coaching hires. Having a 12 team conference (Hawaii football only paired with you) with a West and East Division with a few crossover games to get to 14 still gives you plenty of scheduling opportunities and you would be playing in arenas. I think it would be a good basketball league, especially if UNLV and New Mexico can get back on track.
    YES PLEASE

and think how Zags could fill em.

I've been courtside in sold out Viejas Arena when Aztecs beat Zags few years back. GREAT ENVIROMENT

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    YES PLEASE

and think how Zags could fill em.

I've been courtside in sold out Viejas Arena when Aztecs beat Zags few years back. GREAT ENVIROMENT
    I know that last year, because of COVID, we talked with Coach Few about scheduling a game but we just couldn't make that work. Not sure how that works during conference play in a non COVID season.

This is my best prediction. Gonzaga will go to the big East and there will be two divisions as follows:
    East - Villanova, Georgetown, St Johns, UCONN, DePaul, Seton Hall, and Providence.
    West - Creighton, Marquette, Xavier, Butler, Gonzaga, St Louis, Wichita State.
    This is Gonzaga’s best option and necessary to survive this conference realignment shuffling.
    I think the MWC is also going to lose Boise State and other schools to the AAC. We have to face the facts that the world of the little schools is going to implode due to the greed of the bigger schools. Which is sad and at the same time inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    This is my best prediction. Gonzaga will go to the big East and there will be two divisions as follows:
    East - Villanova, Georgetown, St Johns, UCONN, DePaul, and Seton Hall.
    West - Creighton, Marquette, Xavier, Butler, Gonzaga, and either St Louis or Wichita State.
    This is Gonzaga’s best option and necessary to survive this conference realignment shuffling.
    I think the MWC is also going to lose Boise State and other schools to the AAC. We have to face the facts that the world of the little schools is going to implode due to the greed of the bigger schools. Which is sad and at the same time inevitable.
    Replace DePaul with Providence (as they are already in the conference ) in the East and move DePaul to the West, eliminating the need for St. Louis or Wichita St.

East - Villanova, Georgetown, St Johns, UCONN, DePaul, Seton Hall, and Providence.
    West - Creighton, Marquette, Xavier, Butler, Gonzaga, St Louis, Wichita State.
    Why would the MWC lose any teams to the new AAC? It isn't like the Big12 took their worst programs, they took their best 3. There is no reason for any MWC team to leave for a conference which is now, at best, the 7th best conference in the US. The MWC is now 6th without doing anything. Hopefully, we do something. Again, football drives the bus and the AAC is now riding the short bus.

Why would the MWC lose any teams to the new AAC? It isn't like the Big12 took their worst programs, they took their best 3. There is no reason for any MWC team to leave for a conference which is now, at best, the 7th best conference in the US. The MWC is now 6th without doing anything. Hopefully, we do something. Again, football drives the bus and the AAC is now riding the short bus.
    Memphis is the only good team left in the AAC so the conference needs to do something to make them happy. Why not go after the next best conference and pillage off of them? It’s either that or Memphis goes to the MWC. The AAC just lost its two best teams with UCF and Cinci. Money talks so we will see what happens.

Memphis is the only good team left in the AAC so the conference needs to do something to make them happy. Why not go after the next best conference and pillage off of them? It’s either that or Memphis goes to the MWC. The AAC just lost its two best teams with UCF and Cinci. Money talks so we will see what happens.
    They also lost Houston. There is absolutely no reason for a MWC teach to go to the AAC right now, not without a huge sweetheart deal for just one team. That isn't going to happen. Memphis is a good add for the MWC but not a draw to get MWC teams to join the AAC. Especially with rumors that the B12 will ad Memphis when Texas and Oklahoma finally leave.

I'm all for Grand Canyon Uni to join the WCC once the Boo-Hoo Cougars leave. It's a quality school in a growing market (I'm from Tempe, born and raised), and can expand the WCC footprint just like when the Pac-10 added the Buffs and Utah.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I'm all for Grand Canyon Uni to join the WCC once the Boo-Hoo Cougars leave. It's a quality school in a growing market (I'm from Tempe, born and raised), and can expand the WCC footprint just like when the Pac-10 added the Buffs and Utah.
    “Quality” school? Grand Canyon University's ranking in the 2021 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #298 of #389. Average 6-year graduation rate (17.6%). 6-year graduation rate of students who received a Pell Grant (2.5%). Adding GCU would be a catastrophic blow to the WCC’s academic standing.
    Last edited by jazzdelmar; 09-11-2021 at 05:52 PM.

My vote would be GCU so that I can see GU in person once a year :P

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    “Quality” school? Grand Canyon University's ranking in the 2021 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #298 of #389. Average 6-year graduation rate (17.6%). 6-year graduation rate of students who received a Pell Grant (2.5%). Adding GCU would be a catastrophic blow to the WCC’s academic standing.
    Yeah, GCU is a diploma mill. They do spend a lot on their BB program though.

This is the case!

BYU's departure could stir up a mess: from Theo Lawson and the Sunday Spokesman-Review:

Here: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-future-for-g/