Thread: Kevin Pangos signs with Cleveland - NBA dream finally realised

Default Kevin Pangos signs with Cleveland - NBA dream finally realised

Great news for Kevin, his ambition to play in the best league in the world has finally been realised.

https://ca.nba.com/news/report-cleve...x1v3kt5ao4six8

His hard work and excellent play in Europe (taking yet another team into the Euroleague playoffs) and 1st team All Euroleague finally got the attention of some NBA teams.

While he will start as third fiddle for the Cavs (behind Garland and Rubio) he has made it Stateside and will be an NBA player.

Couldn't happen to a nicer person, someone who will represent Gonzaga well.

So cool.

Congratulations! Huge accomplishment to play with the best of the best.

Watching the clips from his most reason season, it strikes me how much more faster and athletic he looks! He has definitely worked on his game and excelling at more phases. Maybe he’ll wind up a little bit like Steve Nash.

Steve Nash? Gotta like your enthusiasm, but if Steve ever played euroball, you really think he'd have taken a pay cut to take his game to The League? That's what KP is doing. One of the Cav's guards is going to have to get injured in order for Kevin to get meaningful minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    Steve Nash? Gotta like your enthusiasm, but if Steve ever played euroball, you really think he'd have taken a pay cut to take his game to The League? That's what KP is doing. One of the Cav's guards is going to have to get injured in order for Kevin to get meaningful minutes.
    I’m not predicting he’ll be Steve Nash level, but it took Steve Nash 4-5 years to really emerge as a top point guard. Then he played well into his late 30s. I wonder if Pangos might end up on a similar path. He certainly looks vastly improved from his college days.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    I’m not predicting he’ll be Steve Nash level, but it took Steve Nash 4-5 years to really emerge as a top point guard. Then he played well into his late 30s. I wonder if Pangos might end up on a similar path. He certainly looks vastly improved from his college days.
    No disputing that. Hoping for all the best. Worst scenario: KP takes the money & returns to Europe next year doubling, tripling the Cav's offer.

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post

Steve Nash is a little aggressive - but Pangos definitely emulated Nash and has worked in many aspects of his game. Watch these highlights if you are skeptical:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKfnq99GGoo

I am a little surprised he turned down what was an NBA equivalent to a 2 yr, $4M per year fully guaranteed deal from CSKA to chase the NBA. I thought KP was different and fine being a bigger fish and a smaller pond. He really took a big pay cut here.

But I do see a path to back up minutes in Cleveland. Rubio looks like a very short term solution with a very trade friendly expiring contract. I highly doubt he lasts beyond the trade dead line and perhaps is gone well before. Colin Sexton isn't much a PG and likely plays more SG for the Cavs with Garland the primary PG.

Pangos can play some SG to which could get him a few more minutes, but it looks like he was signed to take over back up PG duties from Rubio when he is moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
    Steve Nash is a little aggressive - but Pangos definitely emulated Nash and has worked in many aspects of his game. Watch these highlights if you are skeptical:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKfnq99GGoo

I am a little surprised he turned down what was an NBA equivalent to a 2 yr, $4M per year fully guaranteed deal from CSKA to chase the NBA. I thought KP was different and fine being a bigger fish and a smaller pond. He really took a big pay cut here.

But I do see a path to back up minutes in Cleveland. Rubio looks like a very short term solution with a very trade friendly expiring contract. I highly doubt he lasts beyond the trade dead line and perhaps is gone well before. Colin Sexton isn't much a PG and likely plays more SG for the Cavs with Garland the primary PG.

Pangos can play some SG to which could get him a few more minutes, but it looks like he was signed to take over back up PG duties from Rubio when he is moved.
    I see Kevin backing his abilities to prove himself at this level, the first year will be getting up to speed with Cleveland's offence and defensive systems and then making inroads the second year.

Coaches love Kevin's basketball IQ and his ability to run a team.

If he pulls it off he will attract a much bigger payday than he would have in Europe.

Worst case scenario, he would have plenty of suitors back in Euroleague.

I wonder what jersey number he will get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I don't think he can defend in the NBA.....and I hope I am wrong.....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I don't think he can defend in the NBA.....and I hope I am wrong.....
    20 ppg and 10 assists and who cares.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    20 ppg and 10 assists and who cares.
    In that case, probably no one....not even Stockton did that...but Stockton was one of the best defenders and one of dirtiest players in the league....

Chris Fedor
    @ChrisFedor
    ·
    12h
    #Cavs newbie Kevin Pangos won this morning's point guard shooting competition against Darius Garland and Ricky Rubio.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Chris Fedor
    @ChrisFedor
    ·
    12h
    #Cavs newbie Kevin Pangos won this morning's point guard shooting competition against Darius Garland and Ricky Rubio.
    Thats putting your best foot forward!

Go KP!

Excellent read on Kevin Pangos' winding journey to the NBA.

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2021/...-overseas.html

Thanks Mojo.
    But we don't play nobody.

DNP last night. Ricky Rubio got the minutes at backup PG

Similar to the story I posted above but this is a video tribute with a bit of a different take. Done by a good Toronto writer on KP first game in Toronto.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1456737388189859841

Or here:
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/video/c...ave-nba-dream/

That was great Mojo. Thanks.
    But we don't play nobody.

I will never forget that he played his junior with a turf toe....he just would not let it stop him....if you have ever had a turf toe you would know how much it hurts and the only "cure" that I am aware of is rest......amazing young man....it pains me to think of 28 as " old".

First NBA points tonight! 4 minutes, 1-1 from 3

1 point in 1 minute of action tonight.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401360048