Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Few Cited For Drunk Driving

I think his punishment will be suspension for 2 games and then move forward. He has remorse for his actions and I don’t see it happening again.

I think it is childish to consider game suspensions as punishment for the coach. I realize some of you may be in professions where your employer may punish you for a DWI, but I would believe that for most working adults, the punishment is from the infraction itself, higher insurance rates, lost work days or time for court appearances and then life moves on. Anyway, if he is guilty, he will be punished in some way. But really, what punishment is given to other University employees for similar infractions? How many years has he represented Gonzaga as coach without a hint of scandal? If you are serious about punishing him, give him some community service…..oh, wait….he already does more for the community than almost anyone in Spokane.

Quote Originally Posted by scott257 View Post
    I think it is childish to consider game suspensions as punishment for the coach. I realize some of you may be in professions where your employer may punish you for a DWI, but I would believe that for most working adults, the punishment is from the infraction itself, higher insurance rates, lost work days or time for court appearances and then life moves on. Anyway, if he is guilty, he will be punished in some way. But really, what punishment is given to other University employees for similar infractions? How many years has he represented Gonzaga as coach without a hint of scandal? If you are serious about punishing him, give him some community service…..oh, wait….he already does more for the community than almost anyone in Spokane.
    Because he is someone that people expect more from, simply by his position and his previous deeds. He leads young men each year and should be the first to set the example of what not to do and the first to accept punishment, whatever the administration hands down. People should expect better from those in positions of power, no matter what sector of society they reside in.

It is unfortunate, but situations like those Bobby Petrino was involved in have caused universities to monitor the actions of their athletic administration staff. Gonzaga has been able to hold itself to a high standard not because problems like this don't happen, but because it deals with these types of situations in an open, fair, and transparent way. Yes, Gonzaga is an employer, but GU has to demonstrate that it is not arbitrary in its actions and will hold all its staff and athletes to the same standards and rigor in dealing with incidents.

Yes, the University will hold any decisions until it fully understands the legal outcome. It will, based on past actions, integrate the legal outcome with its response as well.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

more childish to think at a faith based institution a DUI or DWI wouldnt come with a suspension. I work at one and would get fired if I got a DWI.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    The expiatory nature of many of these posts I think is valuable to the poster. Beyond that, I agree w Doc, nothing to see here….yet.
    Excellent word “expiation “. Congrats you wordsmith Jazz. Reminds me of being in the Jesuit community in the 60s. Such were those times when words like that flew freely all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer6 View Post
    I feel for Mark Few. He seems like a good person but it seems he has been heralded as close to flawless. That has always bothered me. He is a good coach. He runs a clean program. He appears committed to family values. But, he is human and flawed like everyone. The one thing that had made me uncomfortable in my Zag fandom has been the exalting of Few. He is a good coach and probably, a pretty good human being--like a lot of other people.
    I have nothing to add to this thread, but this post is spot-on.

Oh wait, I have this to add:

Someone replied to Spokesman's FB post on this subject on Tuesday and said "This just means he is legitimately ready to run for public office." I found that very humorous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    False. Heytvelt was during the season, just prior to or following a game. One part of the issue was illegality (I think it could have been categorized as a felony in the eyes of an aggressive prosecutor). Secondly, it was an affront to the team.

Not even close. More similar to Josh Perkins.
    It's neither true nor false, it's an opinion. As is yours. I disagree with your opinion that endangering the lives of the public is less of an offense than simple possession of of a naturally occurring plant substance (one that is now being studied for its mental health benefits).

ETA: IMO more should be expected of a 58 yr old multimillionaire in a position of power than of a kid, but I suppose that's false as well.

The problem is that Few is not like most adults. In the public eye, Few is synonymous with Gonzaga University. While he may not be the head of the university, he is the face of it. Any offense by Few might as well be an offense committed by Gonzaga. We can argue how unfair that is, and maybe it is, but I think that's why many of us are taking this so hard. It's penetrated us far deeper than any mistake by any player.

Legally it will come down to blood work.

Professionally the damage is done imo

https://www.kxly.com/court-docs-mark...with-citation/

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    It's neither true nor false, it's an opinion. As is yours. I disagree with your opinion that endangering the lives of the public is less of an offense than simple possession of of a naturally occurring plant substance (one that is now being studied for its mental health benefits).

ETA: IMO more should be expected of a 58 yr old multimillionaire in a position of power than of a kid, but I suppose that's false as well.
    Straw man

My heart broke like a bar room glass when I read the news about Coach Few. My initial reaction was red-eyed anger. Sweeping up the pieces I realized how identified and bound I am to being a 'Zag'. I am an alumnus and a ceramic artist who recieved the honor of having a one man show in the old Ad Gallery years ago. I revere the University, it's history here in the Pacific Northwest, it's humanitarian and spiritual aspirations and how these scrappy Bulldogs have brought out the best in who we are ... and I realize too how veins of hubris flows through my body.

Hubris is the characteristic of excessive confidence or arrogance, which leads a person to believe that they may do no wrong. The overwhelming pride caused by hubris is often considered a flaw in character.
    Hubris can cause short-sighted, irrational, or harmful behavior since the person does not stop to examine their behavior or consider the opinions of or effects on others when behaving. Hubris often causes humiliation to whom it is directed.

I felt personally wounded through Coach's action and I realized how ' Zag hubris ' at times run amok through us and how this event is not only an opportunity for Coach to recover his balance but each and every one of us to realize how this striving for the peak of a 'Natty' has to be seen as the timeless journey of the hero with a thousand faces.

Inspired by the writings of the late Joseph Campbell, screenwriter Christopher Vogler shares in his ' The Writer's Journey' ...

The Ordeal

Seeker, enter the Inmost Cave and look for that which will restore life to
    the Home Tribe. The way grows narrow and dark. You must go alone on hands
    and knees and you feel the earth press close around you. You can hardly
    breathe. Suddenly you come out into the deepest chamber and find yourself
    face-to-face with a towering figure, a menacing Shadow composed of all your
    doubts and fears and well armed to defend a treasure. Here, in this moment,
    is the chance to win all or die. No matter what you came for, it's Death
    that now stares back at you. Whatever the outcome of the battle, you are
    about to taste death and it will change you.

I truly believe Mark Few is on his knees at the crossroads and if his journey thus far is any indication of his true grit,mettle and deep spirit, this is the year our great coach, our plucky team and each one of us successfully conquer Mount Natty.
    humanity is one family ... with one heart

He made a mistake and will be "punished" more in the press and by opposing fan bases than he will in Spokane (where he has had the most positive impact). Justified or not, students are already making posters with Few superimposed in the back of a police car. Not a good look.

The redundancy of this thread along with adding snippets of gossip and rephrased garbage is EXACTLY why this board is looked upon with disdain by the coaches, players and families of players. All are advised to avoid this board (per Rob Sacre) for it's toxicity. Checking out for a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    He made a mistake and will be "punished" more in the press and by opposing fan bases than he will in Spokane (where he has had the most positive impact). Justified or not, students are already making posters with Few superimposed in the back of a police car. Not a good look.
    All the more reason to smash opponents early and knock the excitement out of the room.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Excellent word “expiation “. Congrats you wordsmith Jazz. Reminds me of being in the Jesuit community in the 60s. Such were those times when words like that flew freely all the time.
    I still live in that world, Doc. Or at least try to. My oldest g-son is looking at colleges and I'd pick the one where such discourse still is the order of the day. He likes Dartmouth but a reach. Georgetown is a safer pick. Ah, thank god we are old, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by zagbeliever View Post
    The redundancy of this thread along with adding snippets of gossip and rephrased garbage is EXACTLY why this board is looked upon with disdain by the coaches, players and families of players. All are advised to avoid this board (per Rob Sacre) for it's toxicity. Checking out for a few weeks.
    Ditto

Exactly on point. This thread is like The View for Gonzaga fans.

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post
    Without the Botox and hip — ugh — clothing. Is Sonny pregnant?

Lighten up Francis. This is just a public forum for Zags fans and, regrettably, trolls to opine as they will; nothing more, nothing less. Each reader can agree, disagree or ignore others’ posts as they see fit or check out entirely. Don’t advocate for all to avoid just cause you don’t like the posts here.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Lighten up Francis. This is just a public forum for Zags fans and, regrettably, trolls to opine as they will; nothing more, nothing less. Each reader can agree, disagree or ignore others’ posts as they see fit or check out entirely. Don’t advocate for all to avoid just cause you don’t like the posts here.
    Exactly. And no one ever forced anyone to open and read a thread or post on the OCC. Yet, disappear it did.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

+1!

Do the coaches, players and families of players look upon this forum with disdain? If so, is that different from every other college forum?
    It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post
    I haven't watched those screaming witches for years.

I'm not advocating for ANYONE to do anything. I'm just saying this type of vitriol is not what I need or want in my life. I love the Zags, the program and many of you on here. I am checking out for a bit because this is not for me at this point. One can't help but click on a comment and it upsets me to read. I'm not signing off forever. (I'm not a big deal on this board anyway) There's too much hatefulness and lack of compassion in this world right now anyway. I am not going to purposelessly add to it. There is another more positive group of Zag fans I'm following right now. Nothing personal to most of you because I find most of you to be my kind of people.

20 plus years of exceptional behavior and being the best of the best has got to mean something

We talking 20 plus years.