Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Few Cited For Drunk Driving

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    He can get advice from Bob Huggins
    Let's hope no dash cam video shows up like Huggins.

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    I'm more pissed off at reports that he was being uncooperative. He's the face of a National program where trust took years and years to build. Hopefully he can find a positive way to communicate this out to his team and the public. This is emberassing, I get that we all make mistakes but in his position you have to be smart. Have someone else drive, call an Uber ANYTHING. This will be talked about all year unfortunately.
    Where is that reported?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchaeaBYU View Post
    I am chiming in because others won't share my sentiment. I support Coach Few and believe he'll do the right thing. I also don't condemn him in light of how these things happen. Good people make errors in judgment. Thankfully, neither he nor anyone else was harmed. Let him face his penalty, as he will assuredly suffer, and let the rest of us enjoy his fabulous coaching. I wish him nothing but well.

Don't interpret this as support for driving in excess of legal limits of alcohol. With Uber/Lyft, there is no longer a reason for it. But that shouldn't be treated more harshly than texting and driving if no harm comes to another.
    So you’re saying since nobody got hurt no big deal?
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

I'm more pissed off at reports that he was being uncooperative. He's the face of a National program where trust took years and years to build. Hopefully he can find a positive way to communicate this out to his team and the public. This is emberassing, I get that we all make mistakes but in his position you have to be smart. Have someone else drive, call an Uber ANYTHING. This will be talked about all year unfortunately.
    He chose to do a breathe test and skip the field tests. That’s a right. The officer probably preferred going straight to the breathalyzer anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    No, he’s saying it was a mistake, a bad one, but one that could have been much worse if circumstances were different.

I’m sure we can all think of a time when we made a mistake but circumstances prevented it from being more severe impact (speeding around a corner or hill; distracted momentarily, etc).

Probably a short suspension and it will be mostly forgotten in a couple weeks. Student sections will have something to yell as we run their team off the court. While a DUI is serious and he’s in a position of leadership, I think some on here are being a little harsh in the moment. At least to me, 30 years of goodwill in the community is not tarnished by a poor decision, thankfully without anyone hurt. Obviously it’s not great and disappointing but it’ll be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    Really sad news. It is very disappointing news, but Few is human like the rest of us. There is no mens rea for DUI which means it's not a crime where you have to have formed an intent to be guilty of the offense. It's a crime of poor judgement. I'm happy no one was hurt and that he was alone in the vehicle. I suspect Few will take responsibility and resolve the matter quickly. I don't know anything about ID laws, but in Washington the common resolution for this offense would be a reduction to Negligent Driving First Degree with no jail time and no license suspension. I never heard the outcome with Josh Perkin's arrest, but I suspect that is what happened with his DUI.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I’d hope Few would be more out in front of this than hiding behind the peculiarities of the law. He’s a public figure, a well paid university employee and leader in his industry. Grab this by the throat, and do good.
    If this is the common disposition, how would it be hiding behind the peculiarities for him to do what the average person would do?

I get it that he is a public figure, a role model and all that. I DO expect him or the school to administer a fitting punishment.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

I drove drunk one time. I'll never forget it. It was an experience I never wanted to repeat.

I remember alternating eyes, trying to decide which one was telling me the truth.

Jim Harbaugh was forced out of the coaching position at USD for a DUI in 2005. I do expect Coach Few to get more "forgiveness" based on who he is, but, this is a black mark on the Gonzaga program.

IT is obviously a big deal for many reasons, optics, violating a law with social repercussions but a lack of injury or death is fortunate.

Every time you text and drive, you're flaunting a safety rule. Do you believe the same penalty should apply for one who texts while driving but no injuries occur versus an incident involving physical injuries or death?

I see a difference. Legal limits on alcohol consumption before driving are not per se dangerous, as the limits have been lowered to such an extent than many are operating their vehicles safely. So it is malum prohibitum, not malum per se.

Quote Originally Posted by AztecDen View Post
    Jim Harbaugh was forced out of the coaching position at USD for a DUI in 2005. I do expect Coach Few to get more "forgiveness" based on who he is, but, this is a black mark on the Gonzaga program.
    It's a black spot on Few's resume. If "the program" doesn't handle it correctly, then the stain will spread. Asserting it is black mark on the program at this early stage is BS.

BTW, nice of you to drop in after a three year hiatus. Troll much ?

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    It's a black spot on Few's resume. If "the program" doesn't handle it correctly, then the stain will spread. Asserting it is black mark on the program at this early stage is BS.

BTW, nice of you to drop in after a three year hiatus. Troll much ?
    There will be repercussions. He'll have to do community service, go on an anti drunk driving speaking tour and his contract may take a hit.

The university isn't stupid about the optics. It's not as if he has a history of this, as far as we sports fan know.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Where is that reported?
    USA today reported that he refused to complete field sobriety tests. To me that falls under the category of uncooperative. Obviously news can be garbage, so I hope that's not the case. Point being is that how he handles this will dictate how big of a mark it leaves.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ng/5761139001/
    America's Team!

USA today reported that he refused to complete field sobriety tests. To me that falls under the category of uncooperative. Obviously news can be garbage, so I hope that's not the case. Point being is that how he handles this will dictate how big of a mark it leaves.

This is not uncooperative.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Yeah agreed pretty sure that isn't considered "uncooperative"; he went straight to the breathalyzer

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Whatever you want to view it as is fine with me. Now we're going to argue about the true meaning of "uncooperative ".

We're all experts on this board. Nobody got hurt is the biggest win imo. In my line of work I see the crap side of this all too often. I have no sympathy.
    America's Team!

Field Sobriety Tests are voluntary in Washington. In fact police officers are required to advise that the tests are voluntary and ask a suspect if they would be willing to perform these tests. If a suspect refuses to do them, that fact can not used as evidence against them.
    Last edited by Zag_Dad; 09-07-2021 at 09:43 PM.

Anyone know the difference is behavior from 0.08 and 0.11 blood alcohol level as assess by breathalyzer??

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    Field Sobriety Tests are voluntary in Washington. In fact police officers are required to advise that the tests are voluntary and ask a suspect if they would be willing too perform these tests. If a suspect refuses to do them, that fact can note used as evidence against them.
    Just think of it as declining them and not refusing them and then uncooperative isn’t the word that comes up. Admittedly I’m assuming the same is true in Idaho. But we don’t need to start throwing out uncooperative because we don’t have any evidence that was the case.

This is a far, far worse offense than Heytvelt's shrooms, which didn't endanger anyone's life. (As far as I know, he wasn't accused of driving while high.) The punishment should be proportional to that fact. Anything less is hypocrisy.

Full disclosure: I drove under the influence in my late teens/early 20's, but never as a supposedly mature adult.

Please read again before judging this post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Anyone know the difference is behavior from 0.08 and 0.11 blood alcohol level as assess by breathalyzer??
    Experts will say that everyone’s ability to engage in divided attention tasks (like driving) is lessened to an appreciable degree at a .08. The degree of impairment may vary from person to person. I may be more obviously impaired at .08 than my buddy would appear when he’s a .11

For the Lawyers out there, is it advisable for Mark Few to issue a public apology when this is an ongoing case? My guess would be it is not advisable to admit guilt via a public apology before the case is actually closed.

This won’t be swept under the rug. Gonzaga doesn’t function that way. I highly expect that Few will address this publicly. Until things can be addressed legally, he really can’t nor should he make a comment. That isn’t implying it going to trial, but if there is going to be a plea deal it will be worked out before any comments are made. I suspect his lawyer will tell him as much. I’m guessing that he’s likely to see a few games suspension. I also suspect that he’s going use this life lesson to make positive changes in his life. Meantime we can all sit here and speculate and pontificate to hearts desire.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I'm gonna reserve judgment until more facts are presented.