Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Few Cited For Drunk Driving

Anybody else is thinking this whole thing is taking too long for university to address or is it just me?
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_eliZAG View Post
    Anybody else is thinking this whole thing is taking too long for university to address or is it just me?
    I'm guessing they are waiting until the legal issues have been resolved. I wonder how long something like that takes? If the university is waiting until resolved legally, it would be pretty eyebrow-raising if Few & his lawyers attempted to drag out the court hearing until either the conference schedule or offseason in order to avoid having the suspension served by the university at a bad time.

At this point the university is in public relations no man’s land. The time for a strong statement was in the first 48 hours after the incident. It makes no sense now to say anything. But be sure there are a lot of fingers in the air to see which way the wind is blowing. Whoever up there is in charge of crisis management is very busy, nonetheless, weighing options, retaining consultants, ensuring all parties speak with the same voice. In my experience it can often be those closest to home who can monkey wrench things, viz students, board members, donors. Lots of hand holding.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I'm guessing they are waiting until the legal issues have been resolved. I wonder how long something like that takes? If the university is waiting until resolved legally, it would be pretty eyebrow-raising if Few & his lawyers attempted to drag out the court hearing until either the conference schedule or offseason in order to avoid having the suspension served by the university at a bad time.
    I thought their first statement was pretty clear. I don't think there is much for them to say at this point.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

The statement was made by Few, not the university. I am waiting for the consequences now: number of games coach Few is suspended, etc.
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

The statement was made by Few, not the university. I am waiting for the consequences now: number of games coach Few is suspended, etc.
    incorrect

Earlier in the day, Gonzaga athletic director Chris Standiford issued a statement.
    “We are aware of the report that Coach Few was cited for suspicion of driving under the influence," Standiford said. "While the facts of the situation are still being evaluated, we understand its severity and the legal process that will follow. As a Gonzaga employee, we respect Coach Few’s right to privacy and will refrain from further comment at this time.”

https://www.krem.com/article/news/cr...3-3bd9eb03ad2f

That's it. Privacy is a huge deal anymore. I'm not so sure he'll get much of a penalty is it's Negligent Driving. Usually the original charge is plead down to that. One our esteemed grads Frank Bartoletta tells me that. He's a DUI lawyer.

Name dropper!

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Name dropper!
    He’s allowed. He, too, is a “name.”

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Name dropper!
    lololol Black Bart??? Bird?? I forgot you know him from the old days!!

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    lololol Black Bart??? Bird?? I forgot you know him from the old days!!
    Why don’t you two guys take this to the Alumni Cabin….

Some jobs if you get a DUI its ground for dismissal as these jobs require a current drivers license. Remember back in the Military had this GYSGT who got his 3rd DUI, he maintained a room in the barracks. Back in the day this GYSGT lawyer delayed his cases continuances etc. that was the strategy back then. Point being he never seemed to have to pay the fiddler and managed to stay.

So yes if Mark Few lawyer wanted it to this thing could drag on for a long time legally wise. But now it comes down to what kind of role model is Mark Few going to be for Gonzaga from this point forward? If Mark Few is not suspended for the first 2 games to open the season, then you are opening a whole new can of worms.

Yes we expect Mark Few to make his battle in court just like any other DUI person trying to get it reduced for various reasons (get license back, insurance rates, driving record, reputation, etc), and thats just fine.

Presidents at University's often fear the Head Coach when they are the face of the University. Because of this the University Presidents often error in judgement worrying about making their head coach mad.

Mark Few is just a flawed person like everyone else and does not want to bring the hammer down on himself (walking into the Presidents office requesting the suspension happen immediately).

The onus is on the Gonzaga President to do the right thing before the season starts. If it takes until the first week in November for this to happen, then Gonzaga and its reputation will continue to be dragged in the Mud until that time.

If the President of Gonzaga elects not to suspend Mark Few for the first 2 games of the season, then he will be indeed opening Pandora's Box.

From what I understand in these DUI cases, having great legal representation and a clean criminal record really helps the person who was arrested. That along with being arrested with a low BAC and not causing an accident. One of the reasons why Few's attorney might try to drag this out is to work out an agreement with the district attorney to lower the DUI charge to a wet wreckless agreement which is still a misdemeanor but carries with it much less of a social stigma and saves you a lot of time, money and hassles. Few might get what they call a non-bench probation where he is not allowed to drink or be in places where booze is the primary product of sale. He may be required to attend a DUI class and a certain amount of AA meetings. I know we are all taking this seriously (as we should), but in the grand scheme of things, D.A.'s don't want guys like Few clogging up the legal system. My friend who is a DUI attorney says that guys who were at Few's BAC level rarely cause major accidents or problems. But you have to draw the legal line somewhere. The penalties would a lot stiffer if he had clocked in at a .20 or something.

I feel Mark Few has the level of reputation to where I expect him to volunteer to sit out "x" amount of games without it being forced upon him by the university president as if the president were a parent. The bottom line is that a college basketball coach lacks credence to discipline his own players if he doesn't get punishment of his own when he does something wrong. Few knows this. It is for the good of the team that he sits. I could care less about what college basketball fans in Durham or Philly or Syracuse think about it. Nor do I care what the media thinks. What I care about is the Gonzaga men's basketball team and its ability to move forward in a positive manner. I feel this will occur, despite this incident.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    From what I understand in these DUI cases, having great legal representation and a clean criminal record really helps the person who was arrested. That along with being arrested with a low BAC and not causing an accident. One of the reasons why Few's attorney might try to drag this out is to work out an agreement with the district attorney to lower the DUI charge to a wet wreckless agreement which is still a misdemeanor but carries with it much less of a social stigma and saves you a lot of time, money and hassles. Few might get what they call a non-bench probation where he is not allowed to drink or be in places where booze is the primary product of sale. He may be required to attend a DUI class and a certain amount of AA meetings. I know we are all taking this seriously (as we should), but in the grand scheme of things, D.A.'s don't want guys like Few clogging up the legal system. My friend who is a DUI attorney says that guys who were at Few's BAC level rarely cause major accidents or problems. But you have to draw the legal line somewhere. The penalties would a lot stiffer if he had clocked in at a .20 or something.
    This is irrelevant. The legal aspects will play out in the background. It's a public relations issue. Mark Few is THE public face of the university. People are focused on how Few and the University handle the fallout. They don't care about the machinations of the legal system.

Neg driving and a class or two. Then back to work. 1st time lightweight.

I understand that markburn1 (just trying to explain some of the legal technicalities), but I just don't feel the university president needs to discipline Few right now like he's been a bad boy at school. He's not Rick Pitino. I think Few himself is going to volunteer to sit, which, from a PR perspective, sends a stronger message to the team, the community, etc., than having the prez do it, which suggests that Few doesn't believe he deserves punishment. I feel it's a better move, PR wise (and in terms of handling his team), that Mark step up to the plate and issue a self-imposed punishment. The prez can certainly be at the presser and explain that this shows that Few is genuinely sorry, knows that he messed up, and is willing to take the heat for his mistake.

It's way more costly than that, but then most of us don't have Few's money.

Gonzaga has a history of doing the right thing. I'm sure this will be handled perfectly.

Former Gonzaga president involved in sex abuse, Oregon Jesuits say

Allegations against Leary first surfaced in 1966. He denied them and remained in office, the Jesuits said. No investigation was undertaken.

In 1969, Spokane authorities raised new allegations against Leary, giving him 24 hours to leave Spokane or face arrest, the news release said.

The leader of the Jesuits in the Northwest accepted the offer, and created a story that Leary was resigning for health reasons and leaving Spokane, the release said.

“Going briefly to New York, then to Massachusetts, Leary was later assigned to positions throughout the western United States,” the release said.

“I can only surmise that fear of scandal and of harm to Gonzaga University gripped those Jesuits,” Whitney said.

“The Jesuits wish to publicly acknowledge the failures of our history and apologize to those who have suffered, in the hope that it might bring some healing and reconciliation,” Whitney said.
    Bring back the OCC

No, that's actually not what usually happens. In Few's case he may get a sweetheart deal, but from a public relations standpoint, that's almost worse.

The problem is less the charge and legal issue (I assume he's not going to commit a crime in the future, which is when it would really natter, having a record), than it is the police report. I don't see the problem as all that different than a newspaper article on Few slurring his words during a quick talk and then driving away.

This is about judgment, much more so than the actual charge. The university has every right and should be awfully angry. They've given him everything he's asked for and he's delivered but it's also premised upon trust.

Fifty-five year old men shouldn't be making mistakes like this. He's not 23. If he's going out to have pops with the boys over the weekend, he plans beforehand how he's getting home. If he's driving, he declines all but one beet. It's actually not that hard.

So the university has the right to be angry about the lapse of judgment and should hand out some punishment based on the police report. His blood alcohol level wasn't high but he couldn't perform some basic functions, answers trailed off, and he's an athlete that couldn't stand well. I suspect the university will carefully follow an arranged PR firm analysis as Jazz notes (Jazz did this professionally, folks). But within the university itself, there's likely a different conversation. "You might be 'God-like' around here but you're not God, especially not now. Why don't you take a shot at writing out your own penalty and we'll review it to see if we agree."

Few would probably impose a bigger penalty on himself than the university alone, and the university can then announce it as a "joint plan-agreement."

Last thing, you can bet that this is one thread that is being read by the university to gauge where people stand on this. At least, they better be, it would be negligent to not have someone preparing a summary. Jazz can tell everyone how it's done.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

That is actually how it works these days. Negligent driving. That’s not a sweetheart deal.

Honestly, if Tommy was still around I wouldn’t be surprised if Few just decided to step down and not let this be a distraction to him or the team. You know opposing student sections are going to have a field day with this.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
    Honestly, if Tommy was still around I wouldn’t be surprised if Few just decided to step down and not let this be a distraction to him or the team. You know opposing student sections are going to have a field day with this.
    You think Few would go out like that? I don’t think so.

Few’s coaching has improved over the years. Presently, I think he’s second to none. We are blessed to have him at the helm, thus unfortunate incident notwithstanding. He has a lot left in the tank.

WHAT IF

Few's blood test comes back under .08

Few proves he suffers from GERD

The reason he was swerving was distraction from dogs or cell phone

The reason he was slurring is because he tends to mumble in normal conversation and was tired.

I know an airline pilot flagged at TSA for smelling of alcohol and failed breathalyzer only to have blood tested and came up clean.

All this speculation assuming his guilt....I feel it's only fair to play devils advocate.

There is just zero chance this would happen. And it's not going to be as big of a deal for student sections as people think. This year there might be some DUI chants as we beat teams by 30. Then they'll fade and life goes on.

You know opposing student sections are going to have a field day with this.
    Great.

Focus your attention on the coach on the bench and not the 5 zags on the court. Few can handle it.

No Problem,

ZagDad