Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Few Cited For Drunk Driving

Jmho it’s the vitriol directed at players that is so toxic. What’s been said on this thread hasn’t been toxic. There are varying opinions on the subject. But I don’t think there is anyone here that doesn’t think that what Few did was irresponsible, dangerous, and not entirely the smartest thing to do. That being said, I do think that we have hit the point where there isn’t anything more meaningful to add unless other news comes out.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by zagbeliever View Post
    The redundancy of this thread along with adding snippets of gossip and rephrased garbage is EXACTLY why this board is looked upon with disdain by the coaches, players and families of players. All are advised to avoid this board (per Rob Sacre) for it's toxicity. Checking out for a few weeks.
    Every player, or parent, or coach, whatever, at every university or pro program, is told and understands to not look at social media, ever. They all get it. To act like this board in some way sticks out as bad or even beneath Gonzaga is absurd. IMO this board is at its best grappling with very tough subjects. Would you prefer we all just ignore it or post it up to "Sh*t happens." ?

As someone said, for better or worse, Few is the face of GU. Every time he signs a contract, he's agreeing to be that face, it's a lot of money (a lot) and a lot of responsibility.

As to the thread?

My opinion is that the single best thing about this thread is the number of people who are not regular posters who are here. The single last thing anyone should do is imply that their opinion is unwanted. It may be unusual but rarely is it unwanted.

This board desperately needs new posters, new perspectives, especially from younger people. A thread like this near compels people to talk and if they are accepted and valued, good.

I urge everyone reading this to consider adding your perspective to this and other threads.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I COMPEL ( nice work Dixie) Liz to lock this down. 10 pages and nothing new! Open it up if some worthwhile facts arises! I COMPEL it. !

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I COMPEL ( nice work Dixie) Liz to lock this down. 10 pages and nothing new! Open it up if some worthwhile facts arises! I COMPEL it. !
    Whilst I may have said powers... I am retired from that side of the business.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Let’s not get hysterical about whether the thread gets locked or not. Right now it’s just a holding pattern until more news comes out. Texas is our first game so yeah I am naturally anxious about Few’s status for that game. Other than that I am not overly concerned that this incident will have long lasting ramifications to the program or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    Let’s not get hysterical about whether the thread gets locked or not. Right now it’s just a holding pattern until more news comes out. Texas is our first game so yeah I am naturally anxious about Few’s status for that game. Other than that I am not overly concerned that this incident will have long lasting ramifications to the program or anything like that.
    I looked and wondered about that game. Usually, the Zags schedule a couple of easier games to start. I couldn't find the OOC schedule.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Official site is not yet updated. Here is unofficial site with the schedule: https://zagaholic.net/2122
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Thank you. Unfortunate name given circumstances.

this is zag nation,
    we have gone through all the early stages, denial, grief, whatever they all are.
    What do we expect to see after such a disappointing and painful event?
    If Zag Nation can't discuss this to death, to help themselves process this,
    and eventually see what comes of it, where should they go? Talk their relatives and friends to death, or just 'move on' while knowing our feelings won't let it go that easy.
    I'll admit I have skipped a few posts. because there isn't concrete info about new developments. To me this seems more like pouring our feelings all
    over the floor, than it is like gossip (which often has a casual, and sometimes mean element).

what i dont get is the desire of some to use control to coerce a thread closed that obviously has legs for understandable reasons, and many people want to post.
    Goodness sakes, if you are tired of reading it, what do you think of leaving to do something you would rather do? Can you do that without trying to seize control of what many others are doing? This is like going to a relative's house when a loved one has had something terrible happen. Well people are going to say the same things over and over, for hours. Do you want to ask them to leave, or shut up? Cuz you're feeling lousy doesn't mean you need to quiet others.

I also don't think this board has a record of hurting the team, players, staff, except in a few cases. I have only read a few mens basketball college message boards that are as civil, well moderated, informative and full of insights, and quick to trim disrespectful statements down, as this board.
    IMHO.

What would the discourse be if Tommy were still at GU? Just asking. Timing is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    What would the discourse be if Tommy were still at GU? Just asking. Timing is everything.
    Tommy is fine. He has a good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_eliZAG View Post
    Official site is not yet updated. Here is unofficial site with the schedule: https://zagaholic.net/2122
    Thank you for posting the link, so it looks as if we have 14 non-con games with room for just one more. With 16 WCC games, I doubt we go over 31.

As to the coach's situation, I don't want to comment on it until we get more info.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

As I've said in a couple of PM's ... I would like to know of any other member of GU's athletic dept (ie coaches/assistant coaches) or upper echelon employees of GU (Administrative and/or faculty) that have had a DUI. I'd then like to know what their punishment from the school was. Yes, Mark Few is high profile but he IS a Gonzaga employee. He isn't a student-athlete on scholarship.

I do not condone his transgression and was pleased with his (my opinion) heartfelt statement. I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

On another topic, I didn't realize that late last season Mark topped Sam Burton (coached in the 1920's and 30's) for #1 alltime winning percentage ... ever for D1 college coaches. Nicely done.

And I still believe Gonzaga's best days (on the hardwood and as a school) continue to lie ahead. GoZags

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...ch-career.html

FWIW here's the Top 20. The actual list on the link shows the Top 250.
    Win-Loss Percentage
    Includes record as coach of major (D-I or equivalent) programs. Minimum: 10 Seasons
    Rank Coach W-L%
    1. Mark Few .8344
    2. Sam Burton .8333
    3. Clair Bee .8244
    4. Adolph Rupp .8218
    5. John Wooden .8039
    6. John Kresse .8012
    7. Thomas Kibler .7962
    8. Ralph Jones .7918
    9. Jerry Tarkanian .7902
    10. Al McGuire .7867
    11. James Freeman .7830
    12. Francis Schmidt .7818
    13. Dean Smith .7758
    14. Roy Williams .7738
    15. John Calipari .7709
    16. Bill Self .7658
    17. Jack Ramsay .7647
    18. Mike Krzyzewski .7642
    19. Frank Keaney .7638
    20. Walter Livingston .7627
    Last edited by GoZags; 09-10-2021 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Edited to say nice to see Leon Rice checking in at #239

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

I don't believe that this will hurt the Zags season this year at all. Nor do I believe that it will hurt Gonzaga's ability to continue to recruit top athletes around the world. Of course this was a mistake, but IMO it was an outlier. What I mean by that is that what Few did was not the norm at all, but was quite unusual. His mistake will be dealt with properly and Gonzaga will move on, and return to the norm. Mark Few is a great coach. IMO the best in country right now. This will pass, and by October 15th the Zags will be ready to hit the hardwood floor and begin this very promising season.

Everyone in life makes mistakes, even the best of us. And there is the right way to deal with our mishaps, and so far I'm very pleased with the way Few and Gonzaga is dealing with it. I agree with my friend GoZags that Few's statement was "right on the mark." Gonzaga will most likely prepare a statement that comes out today and the university will decide the appropriate punishment. Few, his assistants and the team will accept it and move on. I hope that part of the punishment will be that Few has to do community work, which hopefully be to go on a tour of speaking engagements against drinking and driving. It's a huge problem in our country and many lives are taken every single year. Maybe this mishap will end up saving a few lives as Few comes out with an honest and strong statement against drinking and driving. Often the mistakes we make end up becoming something positive, especially when those mistakes help us CHANGE.

I am really looking forward to this season with our Zags. As has been said, this will be talked about all year long by the pundants. My prediction: The team will once again use adversity to overcome every challenge and will win it's first national championship. This is a great Gonzaga team and I believe that they will show it all year long. They may lose a couple of games this year for one reason or another. IMO sometimes losses are good for the team. Those who know me know that I have made that statement a hundred times on this forum. So, once more, I'm really excited for this very special year. I'm going to call this team The Overcomers.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

If the first game is Dixie state than I am pretty happy because that would be totally fine if Few couldn’t coach that game. I am just assuming a punishment just because of how the players in the past were treated and would think that the program rules would apply to everyone. I think if Tommy was here things would be much easier to tolerate because he was so in step with Few during the games. I bet many of would be like that is ok because we have Tommy. Anyways, like I posted earlier, this incident shouldn’t hurt recruiting or the program in my opinion. The opposing schools fans might heckle Few though which is out of anyone’s control.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Probably that Tommy would get a chance to coach for a couple games at some point this year. And now that will be B-Mike. Honestly if we have to play Texas with B-Mike at the helm I'd still feel really good.

If you're implying Tommy could take over permanently for something like this, I mean there's just zero chance that would ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I don't believe that this will hurt the Zags season this year at all. Nor do I believe that it will hurt Gonzaga's ability to continue to recruit top athletes around the world. Of course this was a mistake, but IMO it was an outlier. What I mean by that is that what Few did was not the norm at all, but was quite unusual. His mistake will be dealt with properly and Gonzaga will move on, and return to the norm. Mark Few is a great coach. IMO the best in country right now. This will pass, and by October 15th the Zags will be ready to hit the hardwood floor and begin this very promising season.

Everyone in life makes mistakes, even the best of us. And there is the right way to deal with our mishaps, and so far I'm very pleased with the way Few and Gonzaga is dealing with it. I agree with my friend GoZags that Few's statement was "right on the mark." Gonzaga will most likely prepare a statement that comes out today and the university will decide the appropriate punishment. Few, his assistants and the team will accept it and move on. I hope that part of the punishment will be that Few has to do community work, which hopefully be to go on a tour of speaking engagements against drinking and driving. It's a huge problem in our country and many lives are taken every single year. Maybe this mishap will end up saving a few lives as Few comes out with an honest and strong statement against drinking and driving. Often the mistakes we make end up becoming something positive, especially when those mistakes help us CHANGE.

I am really looking forward to this season with our Zags. As has been said, this will be talked about all year long by the pundants. My prediction: The team will once again use adversity to overcome every challenge and will win it's first national championship. This is a great Gonzaga team and I believe that they will show it all year long. They may lose a couple of games this year for one reason or another. IMO sometimes losses are good for the team. Those who know me know that I have made that statement a hundred times on this forum. So, once more, I'm really excited for this very special year. I'm going to call this team The Overcomers.

Go Zags!!!
    Thank you Reborn, I appreciate your perspective on this matter.
    It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post
    Exactly on point. This thread is like The View for Gonzaga fans.
    Word

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Straw man
    Not according to the definition of the term.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Not according to the definition of the term.
    According to the VERY definition of the word. You created a false narrative from my statement (almost a caricature or hyperbolic version of it - not to mention, incomplete) and then refuted it. Embarrassing.

Gavin Newsom finally replies:

Perhaps Mr. Few would have been better served to heed his own advice & "stay in his lane."
    But we don't play nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Gavin Newsom finally replies:

Perhaps Mr. Few would have been better served to heed his own advice & "stay in his lane."
    Really ???? Talk about the chickens coming home....

Embarrassing for Coach Few, the College, Alumni and the Fans! Of course!
    We’re Zags and we support one another thru thick and thin. The Zags will have a great season. Coach Few will be more focused than ever, this will move and motivate him, drive him to more heights, he will be out to prove himself and make good on this unfortunate mistake. Well out of his character, not a bit concerned his character has gone under. Most good men make the best of every situation and circumstance. Bad form to throw mistakes into regretful men and glory in their demise. I plan on putting this behind me and focusing on this awesome season, I’m sure that’s what Coach Few and the rest of the program plan to do!
    Last edited by zagray; 09-10-2021 at 05:49 PM.

So Mark Few didn't pitch a perfect game. Maybe gave up a run even. He is human, but he is still, way, way better than we could ever expect. He is humbled but forgiven here.

Definitely, I am sure he is hoping for understanding,
    and this board is full of that. He is our #1 guy, and we are his #1 fans,
    except of course his family. But we are together and loyal and full of good wishes
    and intentions.
    Coach Few, we number among those who are in your support group!