Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Few Cited For Drunk Driving

This situation makes me kind of sad but everyone has skeletons in their closets and hopefully take the steps he needs to to correct the situation. I do think this is a good slice of humble pie for the program and specifically the fan base. We can tend to get a bit self righteous and a blemish on the program here and there helps take some of the hot air out of the balloon.

This episode has nothing to do with a black mark on the program. It’s an individual and personal mistake. Lots of “by extension” thoughts here. They mean nothing. And this personal episode does not take the program down a notch. Nope. One guy made a mistake. As it turns out by my extensive 25 yrs watching drunks and addicts, he’s likely done it before and just was caught this time. So he won’t do it again. He’s thinking there’s too much to lose, that it’s embarrassing for his family and this program. It’s his issue and not ours. In a world of issues this is not a big one.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    This episode has nothing to do with a black mark on the program. It’s an individual and personal mistake. Lots of “by extension” thoughts here. They mean nothing. And this personal episode does not take the program down a notch. Nope. One guy made a mistake. As it turns out by my extensive 25 yrs watching drunks and addicts, he’s likely done it before and just was caught this time. So he won’t do it again. He’s thinking there’s too much to lose, that it’s embarrassing for his family and this program. It’s his issue and not ours. In a world of issues this is not a big one.
    Wow, doc, you’ve gone from this thread needs to be closed to calling Few a drunk. What’s up?
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

Mark Few is the program as much as Coach K is Duke. To assume that this doesn't put a slight stink on the program and specifically our cultivated Gonzaga's awschucks we do things the right way image is willfully naive.

Really? DWI not a big one? Wow.

As it turns out by my extensive 25 yrs watching drunks and addicts, he’s likely done it before and just was caught this time.
    Ironically, with your own statement you may succeed in getting the thread locked down. This was really uncalled for.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    According to the VERY definition of the word. You created a false narrative from my statement (almost a caricature or hyperbolic version of it - not to mention, incomplete) and then refuted it. Embarrassing.
    Nonsense from you as usual.Seems we've done this before, so I'll leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Wow, doc, you’ve gone from this thread needs to be closed to calling Few a drunk. What’s up?
    He probably didn't mean it that way. You learn a lot about human nature when you navigate the extremes.

Wake me when the university announces the consequences they choose to hold Coach Few accountable.

Sent via mobile device

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

The university cannot wait for the legal process to play out; it needs to get in front of this. That is the responsible thing to do.

Others: agree or disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    The university cannot wait for the legal process to play out; it needs to get in front of this. That is the responsible thing to do.

Others: agree or disagree?
    Maybe. Their statement was lukewarm. But the most inappropriate thing said so far is the arresting officer describing the accused as “Mark” repeatedly. I’m sure they warn against that level of familiarity in cop school. Coach Few would’ve been marginally less inappropriate. And the intriguing comment that after he arrived at the station he was ordered by superiors to release Few. Again, inappropriate. If I’m a local reporter I ask the arresting officer if he knew Mark personally.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Really? DWI not a big one? Wow.
    Nope as issues go on a world stage... just not much.

Let me clarify. For a decade or so, I gave up some time to be the admitting and screening physician for a friend who owns a large recovery center. Drunks and Addicts. I noticed that almost all of the drunks referred had done buzzed driving multiple times but this was the occasion they were caught. This was mentioned in this thread earlier by one of our esteemed posters who pointed out that most of us had driven "buzzed".. Based on my experience, I'm thinking Coach probably has had a wine or two or a few beers and went home from a dinner or something. It's common. Randomly, his number came up.
    Almost always, the no harm no foul rule is employed. Negligent driving, maybe a class, and I'm betting he won't do that again. Overall a good outcome.

But back to the Recovery Center, most guys who get caught driving buzzed, get evaluated and go home a lot smarter and don't drink/get buzzed and go back to a normal life. National Addiction figures go like this: 1st timers, 10% are alcoholics, 50% are alcoholics for the 2 time offenders and 90% for the 3 time offenders are established alcoholics. I doubt that Coach is anything but a buzzed driver. Who hasn't done that? His number just came up.

He's still our beloved coach and a great guy who does a superior job with our young men. Let's go win a title and get behind our guy. The world doesn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Maybe. Their statement was lukewarm. But the most inappropriate thing said so far is the arresting officer describing the accused as “Mark” repeatedly. I’m sure they warn against that level of familiarity in cop school. Coach Few would’ve been marginally less inappropriate. And the intriguing comment that after he arrived at the station he was ordered by superiors to release Few. Again, inappropriate. If I’m a local reporter I ask the arresting officer if he knew Mark personally.
    wouldn’t read much into releasing Few with citation

it’s common practice in Covid environment

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    wouldn’t read much into releasing Few with citation

it’s common practice in Covid environment
    Been common practice since 1987
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

In Sept. 2015 I got my DUI... in the GU district... according to the lawyer illegal stop... none of the officers statements were a moving violation and he targeted me in his own testimony... I did not fight it... because I was guilty...

Was it my first time drinking and driving?... No... Do I drink and drive any more?... No... Did I learn from it?... Yes...

Charge reduced to neg driving, cost me about $6500 all told not including the increase in my insurance for 3 years...

Any one else but Coach and we would have never heard about this... it is his issue and he'll deal with it like the man that he is... I trust Coaches moral compass... he's an apple off of Norm's tree....

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    In Sept. 2015 I got my DUI... in the GU district... according to the lawyer illegal stop... none of the officers statements were a moving violation and he targeted me in his own testimony... I did not fight it... because I was guilty...

Was it my first time drinking and driving?... No... Do I drink and drive any more?... No... Did I learn from it?... Yes...

Charge reduced to neg driving, cost me about $6500 all told not including the increase in my insurance for 3 years...

Any one else but Coach and we would have never heard about this... it is his issue and he'll deal with it like the man that he is... I trust Coaches moral compass... he's an apple off of Norm's tree....

Go!! Zags!!!
    Thanks for sharing your story. I got my DWI in 2012. My wife came into the local jail (my fingerprints were taken, but I didn’t stay overnight)she was absolutely livid, tear streaming down her face also

I’ve had like 4 beers total since that moment. I can thank my wife completely for helping turn me into a more responsible and family man. Without her I might’ve continued i don’t know. I was given an ultimatum that day. I didn’t have to stop drinking, I just had to never drive again while drinking. I’ve just made sure I’ve never put myself back into a position where I can make a bad choice.

My BAC was twice Fews. I really was in bad shape that day. I thank the cop for pulling me over, without him I may not be here right now. And I still get to live a life of happiness. A couple buddies of mine were not so lucky, before and after my incident. Just glad Few didn’t injure / kill anyone. I’m rooting for his success to overcome it.

I am in no means excusing him for his actions. He could’ve killed 3 people like a buddy of mine did back in 2016 the day after thanksgiving. It’s dumb and stupid. But I have absolutely no room to talk when it comes to DUI/DWI, as I’ve had one before. I’m not going to disown him for that one thing. I know it’s helped me turn into a better person. Without mine, I may have caused more trouble. If I know Few well enough not only will he learn from it, he’ll do more good work from it than I have in my last 9 years. I hit mine head on, he’s going to hit his head on and hopefully change others’ lives and help them not put the keys in the ignition
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

I had my last drink shortly after my 30th birthday.

I was fortunate in that I never got pulled over while in my teens or 20’s …. but I KNEW my drinking habits were not good and with alcoholism on both sides of the family I did the math. I had just turned 30 and figured to that point I had consumed over 10,000 drinks (3-4 or more a day, every day since my sophomore year at Gonzaga).

I feel Blessed that prior to my sabbatical from drinking in 1985 I didn’t hurt or kill anyone, including myself. I believe I have a Guardian Angel looking out for me … especially then

Mark Few learned a hard lesson Labor Day weekend. And I believe he too had a Guardian Angel looking out for him …. ensuring his transgression(s) didn’t hurt or kill anyone, including himself.
    Last edited by GoZags; 09-12-2021 at 11:40 AM.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Smile "All we like sheep have gone astray..." -- Isaiah 53:6

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post

I was fortunate in that I never got pulled over while in my teens or 20’s …. but I KNEW my drinking habits were not good and with alcoholism on both sides of the family I did the math. I had just turned 30 and figured to that point I had consumed over 10,000 drinks (3-4 or more a day, every day since my sophomore year at Gonzaga).

I feel Blessed that prior to my sabbatical from drinking in 1985 I didn’t hurt or kill anyone, including myself. I believe I have a Guardian Angel looking out for me … especially then

Mark Few learned a hard lesson Labor Day weekend. And I believe he too had a Guardian Angel looking out for him …. ensuring his transgression(s) didn’t hurt or kill anyone, including himself.
    A humble and wonderful post.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post

I am very impressed by the outpouring of personal experiences on this Board. I think St. Aloysius has been working overtime as our Guardian Angel. I'll go further and say that Father Tony is assisting him. Yeah, I was nailed too for DUI during my junior year, coming back from the Rathskeller. St. Al has protected me many times, particularly during my tour in Germany. Sheesh, I lived nearly 30 miles off base, and occasionally imbibed a few at the Spangdahlem AB Officers Club.

And if you look at a map of the Mosel River, you'd be wondering how I never ended up in the water. I got smarter, though...during my last two years in Germany, every quarterly Hail & Farewell was held within a ten minute drive of my apartment. You guys know it had nothing to do with my personal popularity...lol, it's just there were so many restaurants with beautiful views of the Mosel, and wonderfully accommodating hosts of those establishments. For many couples, it was their first introduction to an area I've always called my second home.

Now that I'm 67, I truly realize my limitations as a driver...I don't like to drive at night, and I don't drive if I've had more than a couple. I am no longer one of the best drivers in the world, with over a million miles with one accident, which wasn't my fault. Up until my kids started driving, I was a profit center for USAA, and that changed rapidly.

A little hard on my beloved Brown Trout there Doc. Better eating, bigger fight, nasty teeth.
    Mark is a man of honor and I'm not changing how I respect the man. I am concerned about those who feel they are perfect however.

No he isnt. And yes. Much of this is gossipy crap. What you’ve just typed
    Like spray painting a turd with white paint. But it’s still a brown trout.
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Hopefully matters can be resolved before Kraziness in the Kennel otherwise it will churn and create more speculation/debate than is necessary or helpful. I think the first domino has to be Coach Few and the ID prosecutor's coming to agreement on what the the charges and disposition will be. I don't think either Coach Few or GU can say too much until that matter is resolved. After that, GU will be in a position to decide what it will do (personally, I don't think suspension from games is the right approach - the real issue is what does Coach Few do to demonstrate he's acknowledged his mistake and is being held accountable for not repeating it. Maybe a third-party evaluation chosen by GU to ensure he's not got an alcohol problem, followed by appropriate counseling, and a pledge as to how he will comport himself in the future if he attends events where alcohol is served and he chooses to drink (designated driver? call ride-share service?). After that, Coach Few can make an appropriate public statement and he can address the team privately.

If this is all handled professionally with no actual favoritism or appearance of favoritism, and Coach Few is as forthright and sincere as I believe he will be, I think any controversy fades away by 2022.

Appreciate all the candid responses regarding their experiences. It's important to recognize both that drinking under the influence is a terrible thing, and that we're all human being prone to poor judgment and sin. We should acknowledge that what Coach Few did was deeply wrong, and while his actions should enter into our evaluations of him, we shouldn't let a single incident override everything that has happened before. The real key will be what happens going forward.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    A little hard on my beloved Brown Trout there Doc. Better eating, bigger fight, nasty teeth.
    Mark is a man of honor and I'm not changing how I respect the man. I am concerned about those who feel they are perfect however.
    C'mon down to Texas, and get yourselves some alligator gar...

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    C'mon down to Texas, and get yourselves some alligator gar...

A lot of questions about this
    do you eat those?
    What's the bait?
    East Texas?