Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Few Cited For Drunk Driving

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    That is actually how it works these days. Negligent driving. That’s not a sweetheart deal.
    This. And nobody like us guys will be informed as it's a private matter. No point in going on and on and on ad nauseam. I've been saying this for the majority of this errant thread. Few might be a public figure but this is a private matter. 1 st time offender ( if this is an offense.....remember that the newsies rarely get a story correct), impeccable record, just a tick over the limit and likely a good explanation. SO he said he's sorry. etc. What was he supposed to say? "I did it and it's totally Bullcht" or something to stir 20 more pages in this thread?? Internally this is not something that going to put anyone out of business.

Basketball is the topic and 6 weeks or so before tip, we need to assess our chances for a title. Myself, I want an undefeated season but I doubt we'll get one looking at the schedule. But by March / April we will be world beaters and we get a title. Who's the biggest threat to us?

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    There is just zero chance this would happen. And it's not going to be as big of a deal for student sections as people think. This year there might be some DUI chants as we beat teams by 30. Then they'll fade and life goes on.
    Agreed. Not to mention we play in the WCC. What fans?

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    remember that the newsies rarely get a story correct
    mere assertion, glib and unsubstantiated

That is actually how it works these days. Negligent driving. That’s not a sweetheart deal.
    That's not what I've seen but I would never say that I couldn't possibly be wrong.

I still maintain that the ultimate plea is less an issue write large than the arrest and description.

I do not think it's the end of the world or a "critical" juncture. I do believe it's extremely important to be handled very expertly.

Abe, please quit telling everyone what can and cannot be talked about. The subject is not basketball, it is Gonzage University basketball and impacting the former impacts the latter.

If the mods feel this has run its course, by all means, lock it.

But please stop coming by and telling everyone to simply drop it. You've expressed that opinion and people can agree and do so, or not agree and not do so. Until there is a plan and resolution, it remains an open question as to how it impacts the season. "Gonzaga basketball" is effected.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    That's not what I've seen but I would never say that I couldn't possibly be wrong.

I still maintain that the ultimate plea is less an issue write large than the arrest and description.

I do not think it's the end of the world or a "critical" juncture. I do believe it's extremely important to be handled very expertly.

Abe, please quit telling everyone what can and cannot be talked about. The subject is not basketball, it is Gonzage University basketball and impacting the former impacts the latter.

If the mods feel this has run its course, by all means, lock it.

But please stop coming by and telling everyone to simply drop it. You've expressed that opinion and people can agree and do so, or not agree and not do so. Until there is a plan and resolution, it remains an open question as to how it impacts the season. "Gonzaga basketball" is effected.
    Dixie waste your time if you want. It's up to you. Knowing what I know negates the value of this thread. That's all I know.

As for Grand Valley.....when was the last time the initial reports from the facts of a story was exactly correct? Not much in the era of media "has to get it first ....but rarely correct" And this why the media isn't trusted. They go for "first" rather than correct. And this is what's happened with this present story.. It's unfolded with new facts, descriptions as is always the case. And "glib" I don't do well. I am more of a "right between the eyes type". So save it for someone who cares.
    Last edited by MDABE80; 09-15-2021 at 08:00 PM.

It really is time to put this thread to bed .... Enough already!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post

I find the posts asking for the thread to stop particularly amusing as the effect is in actuality bumping it right back up to the top of the forum.

Like it or not, this is an ongoing story. Do we have facts to add? No. Do any of us know the full story? No. So, yes, the conjecture of what happened or why it happened or how it happened is pointless. But the entire nature of this forum is talking about 18-22 year old kids playing a game. In the grand scheme of things there is almost nothing less important than that. That said, this is an ongoing story that has and will continue to impact Gonzaga basketball for the foreseeable future. I honestly don't see the need to stop the conversation amongst GU fans.

Usually when everything is said that could be said, reasonably bright people call it quits. Nothing more to learn on this. It’s gone downhill for days. There is nothing left to say that fills a hole. It’s over. Hope dims for some new breakthrough... a tidbit or refashioning of a tiny missed point.And 24 it moves to the top because it serves as a signpost that the topic is exhausted.

What I find most interesting is the personal responses I’ve received from non-gonzaga fans on this matter. Without exception, the first response is genuine and complete surprise. The second reaction is empathy. Not one response spoke of punishment. Not one individual thought that “at his age he should have known better,” or that his actions were categorically unacceptable. The primary thoughts were that it was a fluke deal, almost a victim of circumstance, or that it could be the sign of a dependency issue. In either case, it was empathy, not judgement from the non- GU fans.

That is all.

What I find most interesting is the personal responses I’ve received from non-gonzaga fans on this matter. Without exception, the first response is genuine and complete surprise. The second reaction is empathy. Not one response spoke of punishment. Not one individual thought that “at his age he should have known better,” or that his actions were categorically unacceptable. The primary thoughts were that it was a fluke deal, almost a victim of circumstance, or that it could be the sign of a dependency issue. In either case, it was empathy, not judgement from the non- GU fans.

That is all.
    It's a really good point, ZO. A dear, departed friend was fond of saying that people spend their lives "falling off of pedestals that we put them on." While outside fans respect and admire Few, many of us Zag fans have an almost God-like reverence for him. It made this news that much more shocking and in many ways disappointing; which might be just as much about us as it is about Mark Few. But I also think that empathy has been shown throughout this thread, and I think most will be quick to offer the forgiveness and chance for redemption that we would all hope for in similar circumstances. His long history of doing good for others (e.g., Coaches vs Cancer), coaching and recruiting in an ethical and professional manner, and in general being a man of character is not erased by one mistake, no matter how big.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    It's a really good point, ZO. A dear, departed friend was fond of saying that people spend their lives "falling off of pedestals that we put them on." While outside fans respect and admire Few, many of us Zag fans have an almost God-like reverence for him. It made this news that much more shocking and in many ways disappointing; which might be just as much about us as it is about Mark Few. But I also think that empathy has been shown throughout this thread, and I think most will be quick to offer the forgiveness and chance for redemption that we would all hope for in similar circumstances. His long history of doing good for others (e.g., Coaches vs Cancer), coaching and recruiting in an ethical and professional manner, and in general being a man of character is not erased by one mistake, no matter how big.
    And there it is. And there's an end on it.

Well, his record as a coach speaks for it's self....and his service to the community is truly remarkable.....I don't believe in putting anyone of a pedestal but there is much to admire in this dedicated family man....who likes dogs no less....

The positive out of this thread is acknowledging we are all human and mistakes can be made. Great lessons can be learned and I am sure Few will be better off for it. In terms of Gonzaga basketball and the AD Standiford, Few will likely be suspended and fined or required to do something to help better the cause of not driving while being impaired. Personally I don’t think they will suspend him more than two games. Few will ultimately agree to this and make this into a teachable moment that his players can learn from as well. The beautiful thing about adversity is how it bonds people together and is great motivation for driving performance. Once practices start we will have more exciting things to talk about than re-alignment and off the court issues. Just got to wait less than a month!

I'll throw my two cents in: keep the thread open. My reasoning is because first: It's not a negative thread at all imo. Second: People are still posting on this thread. Third: People who normally do not post much are posting on this thread. Fourth: I am still reading about what others are writing. No harm, No foul.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Who on this thread has ever had a DUI? It's turned to a personal failings thread. How do you "feel" about someone else's personal failings or your own? I think the psychological confessions are special. Sounds like many would like to speak up.

Who on this thread has ever had a DUI? It's turned to a personal failings thread. How do you "feel" about someone else's personal failings or your own? I think the psychological confessions are special. Sounds like many would like to speak up.
    I think there is a distinction between culpability and awareness we're not making, even if the lack of awareness itself is reprehensible and costs lives. One can be culpable, but not aware, of how reprehensible or damaging ones' actions are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I think there is a distinction between culpability and awareness we're not making, even if the lack of awareness itself is reprehensible and costs lives. One can be culpable, but not aware, of how reprehensible or damaging ones' actions are.
    Let's expand on this!

Let's expand on this!
    My thought is that you can do something terrible, be at fault, and still not realize how terrible your actions are. It doesn't make it OK, but it's a distinction that needs to be drawn.
    Go Zags!!!

I'll throw my two cents in: keep the thread open. My reasoning is because first: It's not a negative thread at all imo. Second: People are still posting on this thread. Third: People who normally do not post much are posting on this thread. Fourth: I am still reading about what others are writing. No harm, No foul.

Go Zags!!!
    Agree w Reborn.
    This thread remains relevant at least until we have some closure on the incident by way of learning what the legal & university imposed (if any) consequences are for Coach Few. Not interested in eviscerating or demonizing him for a single poor decision to drink and drive. Lord knows many of us have likely made same such poor decision in our lives, but until there is some resolution in terms of consequences and how exactly Few will earn back the trust of his players and the administration and this fanbase it remains an open wound. They need to expedite the legal process if at all possible so the university, the program and fans can get back to focusing on our hoop dreams!
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

Absolutely keep this thread going!! Nobody here has a right to know anything about this sorry episode. it’s the “personal” angle we need

Enough man, now you're getting personal, just to close the thread imo, nice tactic. So before it's done, the only personal failings displayed here are yours with your inability to allow others to express themselves, a failing you continue to display.

Now that I've had my say, we can lock it...wow that's terrible to say even jokingly.

Thanks to all for sharing their stories, especially those who experienced what Mark did here, sincerely. Helps to talk about things instead of bury them imo, and clearly there's a lot to talk about according to this board.

Have at me Abe

For me it's all about who had a DUI and who hasn't. For me it's about who has driven their car after drinking as much as Few did and never got caught. Or how many did get caught by a policeman, was pulled over, but then released and told to go home. Or we could take it a step further, how many have done something at least as bad and probably a lot worse than what Mark Few did? How many here are truly Christian? I recall Jesus telling a crowd of people who wanted to stone a prostitute for her sins, "He who has never sinned may throw the first stone." And not a single person threw a stone. I think for us who profess to follow Jesus Christ there is a lesson in this.

Honestly. I don't see anyone saying that Coach didn't do something wrong. And certainly Few did not say that, and I'm sure he doesn't feel that way. I read what he said. For myself and so many others, I just hear a tone of empathy, and yes of curiosity too...just waiting and wanting to see what happens to Coach. I see no harm in keeping this thread open.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Focus on something else if you don't want to talk about the effects of drunk driving. I guess because nobody died, it's not trendy enough for you. Fine. Focus then on the fact that he lied twice when he was pulled over. He lied when he said he wasn't drinking that evening, and then he lied again when he altered his story to say he only drank two beers the entire time, the latter beer being 4 hours prior. If you're a decision maker at GU, you're not focused on the DUI. You're focused on a coach who, in a vulnerable moment because he couldn't reason properly, decided that deception was the best path forward. How far do you want to go down that rabbit hole? When you make a mistake and own it, you're human. When you make a mistake and then lie and then lie again to get out of it and then realize you're not getting out of it......it makes the statement the following day a self serving declaration in a furtherance of the lie. Try now and put yourself in a leadership position at GU and tell me how the policies and procedures of the way a coach does their job is altered by these facts. It's not as cut and dry as someone's personal life. He has responsibility over humans and his example is part of the game of basketball in college sports.

the man was too drunk to know how much of an embarrassment he was making of himself. That's how I know that this thread is not only relevant, but necessary. You're not helping anyone by looking the other way on this. I would imagine GU and the coach wont be releasing any new information until they've covered all these angles, not just the obvious one.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003