Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Coach Few Cited For Drunk Driving

Bump to page 17. Well on our way to 20!
    Bring back the OCC

Has anybody ever driven when the've had a Few?
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Good play on word but I asked that 10 pages ago and FEW responded. I know I have. Just lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Both good. I am coming with the wife. Family reunion is being set up now.
    To fine dine near the water, venture a bit south to 333 Pacific at the foot of Oceanside pier, or to Pacific Coast Grill, née Charlie’s, in Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    When I was in the Navy (42 year's ago) - many times...very lucky! The military didn't frown on this activity...in fact we had Happy Hours in our clubs every Friday after knocking off from work...pitchers were 35cents...a glass was 15cents...Then Tailhook and everything changed...Clubs are almost entirely gone...now sure if this still goes on, but if you were within 50 miles of the Mexican border, those under 18 were permitted to drink 3.2 beer only in on-base clubs...Today drinking on post/base is frowned upon and DUI's can be career terminators, depending on your rank/position. My wife was a Substance Abuse Counselor as a Civil Service employee in the US, Europe and Asia and she had careers in her hand regarding her reports of those DUI citations, which were sent to Commanders.

I also remember driving while drinking legally in SC, NC and LA...those were crazy times and again very, very lucky not to have had any incidents.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    4 hours after having my last drink, why yes!
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Oy, Henny Youngman has invaded this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Henny wouldn't have driven. He would have flown home and complained about his tired arms.
    Last edited by Markburn1; 09-23-2021 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Henry wouldn't have driven. He would have flown home and complained about his tired arms.
    “You wanna help? (Pause for effect) Don’t help.”

Greatest one liner in history.

20 pages should “help”

This thread should be sifted with a sort action to divide as either actually newsworthy thread posts or the rest packaged justifiably as a Foo thread and sent there.

There is a lot of padding activity here that would fit right into the Foo.
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

To fine dine near the water, venture a bit south to 333 Pacific at the foot of Oceanside pier, or to Pacific Coast Grill, née Charlie’s, in Cardiff.
    I think I've dined at the Pacific Coast Grill, but that was (hard to believe) close to 10 years ago, when I was with the FDIC. I burned through an entire day's meal allowance there, but it was well worth it.

O/T, but the FDIC has a "Ready Reserve" established, with names of people who worked there during the last bank crisis. When the SHTF, they'll offer me a two year contract as a GS-14, which I'll politely say, "no thanks." That's how good I have it at my new job, though the pay is less than half that...and I'm not getting vaxxed under duress, i.e. the order from POTUS>

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I think I've dined at the Pacific Coast Grill, but that was (hard to believe) close to 10 years ago, when I was with the FDIC. I burned through an entire day's meal allowance there, but it was well worth it.

O/T, but the FDIC has a "Ready Reserve" established, with names of people who worked there during the last bank crisis. When the SHTF, they'll offer me a two year contract as a GS-14, which I'll politely say, "no thanks." That's how good I have it at my new job, though the pay is less than half that...and I'm not getting vaxxed under duress, i.e. the order from POTUS>
    Is that a non-supervisory 14?
    Bring back the OCC

The sunset ceremony at Fleetwoods on Front street in Maui is pretty unforgettable.
    Last edited by MEZAG; 09-23-2021 at 09:53 PM. Reason: dummy

As I type this into a thread that has reached 17 pages, there isn't much more to say on this one, but I wanted to do my part getting this to page 18.

Selfishly, I was getting used to Coach Few being a voice for college basketball. He has reached a place of prominence and respect, and these allegations-- which is what I will call them because we don't know the result of the legal proceedings yet-- threaten to take away his positive voice as an advocate for students and also for college who do things the right way. I don't want to see that go away. He was starting to become one of the first persons the media would go to for opinions on things, and it was quite heady to see testifying before Congress regarding player name, image and likeness rights. His moral and ethical authority should still be there, in my opinion, because this is not on the level of the major ethical concerns that NCAA MBB has been facing, which includes sexual misconduct being swept under the rug and the undue influence of financial interests on the recruiting side-- both of which are more systemic problems that involve/require many complicit persons to keep things hidden. Few's mistake was a one-time thing-- at least prima facie-- that, if it is not a symptom of a regular issue for him, should be readily correctable. The fact that this happened on a holiday weekend in a lake town is an easier PR issue to deal with than many other scenarios, in my opinion.

I like that Gonzaga has stayed above the fray in all of the scandalous recruiting stuff, and that their players for the most part have stayed out of trouble. I also like how they have given players the chance to make amends and learn from their mistakes. I have no doubt that the university will do the same for Few. I don't think this will change much for him during the season, aside from pointed heckling on the court and possibly a suspension that seems to always occur in these types of situations in less-than-meaningful games. I really hope that this doesn't end up being a huge distraction for the team, but I doubt Timme, Nembhard et al will let that be the case. Some of the parents are no doubt disappointed and worried, so I hope he has reached out to them personally to apologize. The same goes for the student athletes.

Recruiting might take the biggest hit, but I doubt it lasts for more than one recruitment cycle unless the team falls on its face during the season, which I highly doubt will happen. It is reassuring to me that this didn't result in a shakeup of the coaching staff. Deep down. I opine that a lot of persons see this whole thing as a cautionary tale of the this-could-have-happened-to-me variety, and turn the focus on themselves, thinking about the times this could have happened to them, or persons close to them, in the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerzag View Post
    This thread should be sifted with a sort action to divide as either actually newsworthy thread posts or the rest packaged justifiably as a Foo thread and sent there.

There is a lot of padding activity here that would fit right into the Foo.
    Preach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

The thing JP is that Few is still as honorable as they come. Over 2 beers and a wine..... and maybe a buzz, it’s just not a big deal. I bet if you split the samples given, one would be in the under 0.08 range. MADD made us think ANY is too much. I’m skeptical. It’s the concept tof drinking and driving that has become taboo. Conjures up a stereotypical uncaring slob who puts lives in danger. In this case I doubt it. As for recruiting, I doubt it’ll matter much. The sun, compared to illegal recruiting or payoffs is quite limited Nd I doubt speaks to the character of the man or our program.

And yet the wailing and gnashing of teeth types will erupt. So be it. I do think our leader has learned and repeated the serenity prayer though. I also think this will never happen again.... for nothing else tha to avoid a stigma.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    The thing JP is that Few is still as honorable as they come. Over 2 beers and a wine..... and maybe a buzz, it’s just not a big deal. I bet if you split the samples given, one would be in the under 0.08 range. MADD made us think ANY is too much. I’m skeptical. It’s the concept tof drinking and driving that has become taboo. Conjures up a stereotypical uncaring slob who puts lives in danger. In this case I doubt it. As for recruiting, I doubt it’ll matter much. The sun, compared to illegal recruiting or payoffs is quite limited Nd I doubt speaks to the character of the man or our program.

And yet the wailing and gnashing of teeth types will erupt. So be it. I do think our leader has learned and repeated the serenity prayer though. I also think this will never happen again.... for nothing else tha to avoid a stigma.
    Twitter has been particularly nasty, but it seems to be coming from the low-information types that already have an axe to grind

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    Is that a non-supervisory 14?
    Yes, my section had a half dozen NS 14’s. I was low man on the totem pole as a 13. My first year there was crazy, I went from a 7 to a 13 in six months, and was on the list for promotion to 15, but wasn’t selected.

03, I loved it there, it was a great place to work, and challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Like it isn't already being talked about in the Ad building? Plus, you really think anything said here about the current situation is going to have an iota of impact on what GU does? We don't rate that much. I believe the one admin on this board has already said it isn't going to be closed. Think that should be all you needed to hear instead of constantly trying to impose your will on others. The debate over the existence of this thread and it continuing to be open is over. You lost.
    I would put to you that if they aren't monitoring fan impact on the board (a wide variety of the hardest core fans, right in front of them to gauge reactions) it would be negligence at best, reckless more likely.

They have to go forward in a manner they choose best, one that fits their core values and what's best long term. What better way to get a taste of what "people are saying" than having an assistant printing up a couple dozen typical responses?

I would. We are entirely irrelevant when it comes to Gonzaga basketball but this extends to an area where the GU community matters and this is "part" (not close to all) of that community, all in a convenient place. Just have an assistant print out a couple dozen of the better thought out responses, leave it in a file (among many) for consideration going forward.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

As Henny Youngman tends to do from time to time .....

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...61#post1492661

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    As Henny Youngman tends to do from time to time .....

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...61#post1492661
    The time/space continuum does bend after all.

I've never really understood why a person's PRIVILEGE to buy and consume alcohol isn't suspended after a dui. Shouldn't an offense that can cause loss of life at least be met with the loss of this privilege? And a second offense should be a minimum jail sentence along with a lifetime suspension of drinking privileges. We act as though age, rather than responsibility, is the determining factor in who gets to drink. But I have known a lot of teenagers I'd give the privilege to over a whole lot of 40+ year old people. Honestly, it wouldn't be the worst thing if the same suspension of privilege applied to cell phone use while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    I've never really understood why a person's PRIVILEGE to buy and consume alcohol isn't suspended after a dui. Shouldn't an offense that can cause loss of life at least be met with the loss of this privilege? And a second offense should be a minimum jail sentence along with a lifetime suspension of drinking privileges. We act as though age, rather than responsibility, is the determining factor in who gets to drink. But I have known a lot of teenagers I'd give the privilege to over a whole lot of 40+ year old people. Honestly, it wouldn't be the worst thing if the same suspension of privilege applied to cell phone use while driving.
    Impossible to enforce. There are are hundreds of laws on the books that need to be purged because they aren't enforced. Adding another just clutters the books. Drinkers are gonna drink. Prohibition didn't stop them.