Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Few Cited For Drunk Driving

Welcome aboard Mr. Standiford! How you liking that fancy new big chair in the big office?

Roth got out just in the nick if time.

As for Few something not right with this story. I hope it is not an indication of some sort of bigger problem here. This is so uncharacteristic it bothers me and worries me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    I'm gonna reserve judgment until more facts are presented.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    Welcome aboard Mr. Standiford! How you liking that fancy new big chair in the big office?

Roth got out just in the nick if time.

As for Few something not right with this story. I hope it is not an indication of some sort of bigger problem here. This is so uncharacteristic it bothers me and worries me.
    Agree with the last part. Does not seem characteristic for a guy like him at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ET2021 View Post
    Agree with the last part. Does not seem characteristic for a guy like him at all.
    I really doubt there is much more to this story - it was Labor Day, he was probably at a BBQ or something and had a little too much to drink before heading home.

I think that this is the most sensible approach.

On multiple occasions I have talked with both Mark and Marcy Few in private settings. I have never seen anything that is less than class and humility. They are as good off the camera as they appear on it. As a man who has never knowingly drank a sip of alcohol, I have total compassion for Mark. I have made mistakes in my life But have never been under the microscope like he will be. We all make mistakes and fall short, what separates people is how they respond. I have no doubt that unless there is something deeper going on, that Mark and Marcy will handle this with humility, responsibility, and class.

Mark Few and Gonzaga have always been willing to give people a second chance. From players within the program that made huge mistakes to transfers who did the same. Mark values repentance and forgiveness and Has offered it to many people. I hope that Mark can not only give it to himself but also that the community and sports world will be kind as well. I assume Mark was one of many who drank a few too many drinks yesterday and didn’t realize it and made a huge mistake. He was probably the one in 100 that got pulled over. Thankfully we are not hearing that it was a fatal accident or anything along those lines.

In a statement Tuesday night, Few apologized for his "lapse in judgment.""I believe as a leader and role model, I am expected to set only the best example. The decisions I made yesterday do not exemplify this standard and for that, I sincerely apologize to you all," Few said. "I recognize that operating a motor vehicle after consuming any amount of alcohol exhibits poor judgment.
    "Regardless of the outcome of the pending investigation, I will never allow such a lapse in judgment to occur again. Please know that I am committed to learning from this mistake and will work to earn back your trust in me."
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-driving-drunk

“I believe as a leader and role model, I am expected to set only the best example. The decisions I made yesterday do not exemplify this standard and for that, I sincerely apologize to you all. I recognize that operating a motor vehicle after consuming any amount of alcohol exhibits poor judgment. Regardless of the outcome of the pending investigation, I will never allow such a lapse in judgment to occur again. Please know that I am committed to learning from this mistake and will work to earn back your trust in me.I deeply regret disappointing any of the members of the community, the young men and women who comprise my campus community, and the University as a whole. In particular, I am sorry for the hurt that I have caused to those most important to me – my family, my players, and my program.I am exceedingly grateful to those who continue to offer support to me, especially my wife and children. Thank you.”
    https://www.kxly.com/i-sincerely-apo...-dui-citation/

Seems like a good place to lock the thread

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I really doubt there is much more to this story - it was Labor Day, he was probably at a BBQ or something and had a little too much to drink before heading home.
    It could be the difference between having 2 beers with dinner or 3 beers with dinner. A lesson that it is better to always have a driver.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilGolfZag View Post
    Seems like a good place to lock the thread
    I agreed!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    Experts will say that everyone’s ability to engage in divided attention tasks (like driving) is lessened to an appreciable degree at a .08. The degree of impairment may vary from person to person. I may be more obviously impaired at .08 than my buddy would appear when he’s a .11
    The answer is”undectectable” in the population.

A few (no pun intended) come to mind. First, we have all sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God. Second, those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Third, whomever is without sin can cast the first stone. Finally, there but by the Grace of God go I.

I am not approving Fewie’s actions nor am I defending them. He was wrong and I think his statement acknowledges that fact. If we are honest, a lot of us will admit we’ve been in that same exact place and made the same exact (poor) decision and I include myself in that statement. And I should have known better since I defended DUI cases in Coeur d’Alene early in my legal career. Yah - Fewie makes enough to hire a driver; yah - he should have waited an hour longer and maybe his blood alcohol would have declined, yah - he is a public figure, the face of Gonzaga and there should be held to a higher standard that by the way, no key board ranger here could possibly meet unless they are a hermit, and yadda, yadda, yah. And no, it’s not lack of cooperation to refuse to perform the field sobriety test - it’s called sound legal advice from someone. I would say he needs and will be held accountable both by the law and by the University and so everyone take a deep breath and let this work out.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    This is a far, far worse offense than Heytvelt's shrooms, which didn't endanger anyone's life. (As far as I know, he wasn't accused of driving while high.) The punishment should be proportional to that fact. Anything less is hypocrisy.

Full disclosure: I drove under the influence in my late teens/early 20's, but never as a supposedly mature adult.
    False. Heytvelt was during the season, just prior to or following a game. One part of the issue was illegality (I think it could have been categorized as a felony in the eyes of an aggressive prosecutor). Secondly, it was an affront to the team.

Not even close. More similar to Josh Perkins.

I think you shouldn't focus so much on the blood alcohol level. That's the standard they set for liability AFTER a police officer sees you driving erratically, and you get pulled over. Everyone likes to poke at the legal standard as obscure at best because everyone knows someone who could drive perfectly with a .15 level, and there are those (like my wife) who wouldn't be safe at an .06 level because they never drink and have zero tolerance.

The focus here shouldn't be the numbers. It's that he was driving erratically, and a grown man who drinks knows how many is too many, whether thats 2 or 10. It was a lapse in judgment that could have ended his career much less cost him a few games. He was lucky he was pulled over before worse happened.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Mark has been nothing but above reproach for well over 25 years. As someone who has never been drunk, I can’t speak to the circumstances of how easily this happens.

What I will say is my initial reaction was disappointment followed by concern for him and his family. I think it’s damn near patronizing to assume he has a “problem” and needs help, so my concern is just human to human. This is a crummy situation to be in no matter who you are, but especially when you’re the Head Coach of a top 10 program of CBB.

I’ll also say if this is (and I fully expect it to be) the worst thing that happens during his tenure, we had one hell of a ride with a fantastic man and mentor for the program.

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneJag View Post
    A few (no pun intended) come to mind. First, we have all sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God. Second, those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Third, whomever is without sin can cast the first stone. Finally, there but by the Grace of God go I.

I am not approving Fewie’s actions nor am I defending them. He was wrong and I think his statement acknowledges that fact. If we are honest, a lot of us will admit we’ve been in that same exact place and made the same exact (poor) decision and I include myself in that statement. And I should have known better since I defended DUI cases in Coeur d’Alene early in my legal career. Yah - Fewie makes enough to hire a driver; yah - he should have waited an hour longer and maybe his blood alcohol would have declined, yah - he is a public figure, the face of Gonzaga and there should be held to a higher standard that by the way, no key board ranger here could possibly meet unless they are a hermit, and yadda, yadda, yah. And no, it’s not lack of cooperation to refuse to perform the field sobriety test - it’s called sound legal advice from someone. I would say he needs and will be held accountable both by the law and by the University and so everyone take a deep breath and let this work out.
    You nailed it, I absolutely agree.
    It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    USA today reported that he refused to complete field sobriety tests. To me that falls under the category of uncooperative. Obviously news can be garbage, so I hope that's not the case. Point being is that how he handles this will dictate how big of a mark it leaves.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ng/5761139001/
    Many lawyers advise folks to forgo the sobriety tests. They are very subjective.

Mark Few did the right thing by owning it at 7:00PM tonight. Now its up to the new Gonzaga athletic director or president of Gonzaga to do the right thing and suspend Coach Few for a couple of games. If they let this thing drag out it will only tarnish the reputation of Gonzaga as a whole. Until the suspension announcement is made it will be continued to to be media news, and fodder for the media.

Coach Few is going to have to show more maturity than he ever imagined on the road games, because he will be taunted non stop. All it will take is one time for Coach Few to loose his cool on the road with a opposing fan and his reputation will go further down the dark hole. Few has lived a charmed life as a successful coach. Coach Few is going to have to have extremely thick skin this year on the road. His character will be tested this year like no other.

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    I think you shouldn't focus so much on the blood alcohol level. That's the standard they set for liability AFTER a police officer sees you driving erratically, and you get pulled over. Everyone likes to poke at the legal standard as obscure at best because everyone knows someone who could drive perfectly with a .15 level, and there are those (like my wife) who wouldn't be safe at an .06 level because they never drink and have zero tolerance.

The focus here shouldn't be the numbers. It's that he was driving erratically, and a grown man who drinks knows how many is too many, whether thats 2 or 10. It was a lapse in judgment that could have ended his career much less cost him a few games. He was lucky he was pulled over before worse happened.
    I had a friend that routinely drank 4-5 pitchers of Bud light, with his wife, almost every night. He was a big guy and seldom appeared drunk.
    He was pulled over one night for a taillight violation ( he drove a 1964 chevy in 1989), and blew a high number. He also passed all the field sobriety test first, but smelled of beer.
    He got a ticket, and the officer said it was because his supervisor was in the car. The cop also showed up at the trial, to testify on his behalf.

Not condoning driving after drinking, just pointing out how it can affect people differently.

Another friend had an alcoholic uncle. He drank a fifth of Jack every day. When he didn't get his fifth, he was a menace.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    Mark Few did the right thing by owning it at 7:00PM tonight. Now its up to the new Gonzaga athletic director or president of Gonzaga to do the right thing and suspend Coach Few for a couple of games. If they let this thing drag out it will only tarnish the reputation of Gonzaga as a whole. Until the suspension announcement is made it will be continued to to be media news, and fodder for the media.

Coach Few is going to have to show more maturity than he ever imagined on the road games, because he will be taunted non stop. All it will take is one time for Coach Few to loose his cool on the road with a opposing fan and his reputation will go further down the dark hole. Few has lived a charmed life as a successful coach. Few is going to have to have extremely thick skin this year on the road. His character will be tested this year like no other.
    Minimum 4 game suspension. If Perkins is going to get multiple games for falling asleep in his car, a head coach who is the most known representative of your university who was actually operating a vehicle and is a grown adult, should get at least 2 more games

Quote Originally Posted by kylasdad View Post
    On multiple occasions I have talked with both Mark and Marcy Few in private settings. I have never seen anything that is less than class and humility. They are as good off the camera as they appear on it. As a man who has never knowingly drank a sip of alcohol, I have total compassion for Mark. I have made mistakes in my life But have never been under the microscope like he will be. We all make mistakes and fall short, what separates people is how they respond. I have no doubt that unless there is something deeper going on, that Mark and Marcy will handle this with humility, responsibility, and class.

Mark Few and Gonzaga have always been willing to give people a second chance. From players within the program that made huge mistakes to transfers who did the same. Mark values repentance and forgiveness and Has offered it to many people. I hope that Mark can not only give it to himself but also that the community and sports world will be kind as well. I assume Mark was one of many who drank a few too many drinks yesterday and didn’t realize it and made a huge mistake. He was probably the one in 100 that got pulled over. Thankfully we are not hearing that it was a fatal accident or anything along those lines.
    Good post.

Two facts that aren't in question is the location where Coach Few was pulled over, and why. The corner of N 4th St and E Hanley Ave in Dalton Gardens is a low speed limit (25mph) residential neighborhood, with lots of children living there. He was pulled over for erratic driving and speeding in said neighborhood. Another fact not in question is the time he was stopped- 8pm- right at twilight, when MVA's are more likely to occur.

My level of disappointment in this whole affair is off the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Minimum 4 game suspension. If Perkins is going to get multiple games for falling asleep in his car, a head coach who is the most known representative of your university who was actually operating a vehicle and is a grown adult, should get at least 2 more games
    He nearly drove off with police there. That would have constituted two offenses. It was an anomaly for Josh. It’s an anomaly for Few.

Quote Originally Posted by zagitup View Post
    Two facts that aren't in question is the location where Coach Few was pulled over, and why. The corner of N 4th St and E Hanley Ave in Dalton Gardens is a low speed limit (25mph) residential neighborhood, with lots of children living there. He was pulled over for erratic driving and speeding in said neighborhood. Another fact not in question is the time he was stopped- 8pm- right at twilight, when MVA's are more likely to occur.

My level of disappointment in this whole affair is off the charts.
    I live very near that area, there are also a TON of deer roaming around the streets all times of the day. He could’ve been swerving those as well.

Let’s not jump to conclusions.

Also, not very many children any longer. Too expensive for young families to own a home in Dalton.

The legal process will take time and GU unlikely to impose a sanction while it is ongoing. Wouldn’t be surprised if suspensions were handed down and served after WCC games start. Unless he pleads guilty immediately.

DUI penalties in Idaho not as severe as in WA-30 day license suspension, drug & alcohol evaluation, suspended jail w/first offense.

ZZ