Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: Coach Few Cited For Drunk Driving

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Some court cases are. Some aren’t. First mead verdicts or negotiations are not necessarily made public. But that’s not the point. Why should anyone know? How or who benefits? Nobody.
    Perverse interest types ... and to what end?? You guessed it... to satisfy peevish interests. That’s about it.
    So it’s perverse when someone want to see and hold entities accountable for fair, consistent application of accountability….interesting concept
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Some court cases are. Some aren’t. First mead verdicts or negotiations are not necessarily made public. But that’s not the point. Why should anyone know? How or who benefits? Nobody.
    Perverse interest types ... and to what end?? You guessed it... to satisfy peevish interests. That’s about it.
    You simply don't get it.

There are people that are very mad about this. There are people that have lost loved ones, or been hurt, due to drunk driving, and the university has the right to be pretty angry since them pay him millions as the public face of the university. Your approach "Walk away, bury it" is the one that could hurt GU the most.

If a player had a police report like his, what would happen? And a player is a young man (still an adult if over 18, and thanks for the tip on whether cases are public or not, I'll try to remember it), a player isn't being paid millions a year.

Coach Few has built a lot of good will by being such a good guy and he can lean on that a lot. But you simply don't get it. This is more serious than you think and the university has to do something that is appropriate (whatever that might be) and that is a headache that will anger some people.

If people have concerns - and a lot of people do, Abe, because it's not nothing - then they should feel free to express them, this board desperately needs new participation and telling people to shut up makes this all look like a private club. I don't like that.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    You simply don't get it.

There are people that are very mad about this. There are people that have lost loved ones, or been hurt, due to drunk driving, and the university has the right to be pretty angry since them pay him millions as the public face of the university. Your approach "Walk away, bury it" is the one that could hurt GU the most.

If a player had a police report like his, what would happen? And a player is a young man (still an adult if over 18, and thanks for the tip on whether cases are public or not, I'll try to remember it), a player isn't being paid millions a year.

Coach Few has built a lot of good will by being such a good guy and he can lean on that a lot. But you simply don't get it. This is more serious than you think and the university has to do something that is appropriate (whatever that might be) and that is a headache that will anger some people.

If people have concerns - and a lot of people do, Abe, because it's not nothing - then they should feel free to express them, this board desperately needs new participation and telling people to shut up makes this all look like a private club. I don't like that.
    you speak as if he's guilty....I believe he should get his day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    It is an entirely different standard, the university made a decision on Heytvelt awfully fast. It is also why Few's driver's license may already be on an administrative suspension, a civil action. His day in court involves his legal culpability to the state of Idaho. Gonzaga University deals with it on an entirely different standard.

I think it would be a massive mistake bc the sooner they can get past this, the better, in my opinion. But no one at GU asked me, for good reason. Abe did as some kind of challenge.

I disagree with your opinion, but I do appreciate hearing your opinion on the matter. If people have opinions on the actual issue, the mods deem it better to be left open, they should be welcome to express it, as you did.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

It is an entirely different standard, the university made a decision on Heytvelt awfully fast. It is also why Few's driver's license may already be on an administrative suspension, a civil action. His day in court involves his legal culpability to the state of Idaho. Gonzaga University deals with it on an entirely different standard.

I think it would be a massive mistake bc the sooner they can get past this, the better, in my opinion. But no one at GU asked me, for good reason. Abe did as some kind of challenge.

I disagree with your opinion, but I do appreciate hearing your opinion on the matter. If people have opinions on the actual issue, the mods deem it better to be left open, they should be welcome to express it, as you did.
    Really? the day in court part?

You can make an argument that it's private and nobody's business, but don't start with the "it's not truth until a jury finds him guilty" nonsense. The real world is quite different than the TV shows you watch. Coach Few in his statement confirmed his "lapse in judgment." Maybe the majority of you have had contact with police only through incidental things such as traffic tickets, but each officer who signs their report does so under penalty of perjury. They put their reputation on the line at their desks more than they put their life on the line in the streets. Make no mistake, this isn't a case of "is he guilty" but a case of "to what degree does his status as a first time offender lessen his eventual sentence. " Another thing about the realities on the justice system you may not realize is that first time offenders rarely get a "day in court." The status of him as a first time offender puts this in the category of a reduced charge/sentence, a fine, and maybe a license suspension for 90 days or whatever Idaho has on the books. If he does it right, there will be an agreed order of some kind that will be public record which may or may not have detailed findings of fact, and that will be the last thing you hear about it in the justice system. He is a small potato in an indifferent and semi mechanical justice system, which angers those who have been affected by drunk drivers, and simultaneously dismissed by those who haven't had dealings with them and say it's no big deal. What a melting pot we make.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    You can make an argument that it's private and nobody's business, but don't start with the "it's not truth until a jury finds him guilty" nonsense. The real world is quite different than the TV shows you watch. Coach Few in his statement confirmed his "lapse in judgment." Maybe the majority of you have had contact with police only through incidental things such as traffic tickets, but each officer who signs their report does so under penalty of perjury. They put their reputation on the line at their desks more than they put their life on the line in the streets. Make no mistake, this isn't a case of "is he guilty" but a case of "to what degree does his status as a first time offender lessen his eventual sentence. " Another thing about the realities on the justice system you may not realize is that first time offenders rarely get a "day in court." The status of him as a first time offender puts this in the category of a reduced charge/sentence, a fine, and maybe a license suspension for 90 days or whatever Idaho has on the books. If he does it right, there will be an agreed order of some kind that will be public record which may or may not have detailed findings of fact, and that will be the last thing you hear about it in the justice system. He is a small potato in an indifferent and semi mechanical justice system, which angers those who have been affected by drunk drivers, and simultaneously dismissed by those who haven't had dealings with them and say it's no big deal. What a melting pot we make.

His blood draw could come back under .08

I’ve seen it happen before. That’s all I’m saying.

His blood draw could come back under .08

I’ve seen it happen before. That’s all I’m saying.
    And that still leaves a policeman writing up a report that sounds far worse than the BAL. Police aren't stupid, nor do they have some perverse desire to arrest innocent people, especially wealth..never mind.

Coach is an athlete and yet can't stand straight, sentences drifting off, someone called the police upon seeing the car swerving. Now, his blood draw may have been done illegally, the machine may not have been maintained properly, the cop might have not had legal cause to stop him, there are lots of things that would get him off from criminal liability.

But none of that takes away a policeman writing up a report that sounds like a drunk guy pulled over. Few already said he used bad judgment.

No one is saying this is a fireable offense but again, or even a month-long suspension, we need to compare to what would happen to a player, a young man, who are prone to making more mistakes, especially in college where so many of us made the same mistake, but are told athletes are held to a higher standard and it's a privilege.

Few knows who he is, and he's held to a different standard, more is expected of him than a player, not less.

Abe, it is not a private matter. It's a matter of public record and now it's just as big a test of the university as it is of Few. Coach is worth tens of millions of year to this school. We all know it. He has also built up incredible trust and love throughout the community by how little scandal there's been. In between this "big deal" and "big reputation" is some kind of sweet spot that someone smarter than me will try to hit. They will likely do it right, as they do nearly everything else.

Heytvelt was suspended from the team for the rest of an entire year, that was for MJ (now legal) and shrooms (IIRC), I don't remember hearing about either of them driving impaired and that's the only incident I remember in enough detail to even discuss.

Obviously, no one is talking about suspension for more than a few games at most, none at the least. But this is far more difficult than some appreciate (most everyone, by far, does get it). If you're GU you get one shot at this. You can look like craven money-loving double standard holes, that we've rightly criticized in others over the years, or the other side, being unfair to Coach and all the good will he's built up. That's a narrow window and again, they get one shot. Damn right there's some anger over there and not just bc he could've hurt someone (swerving?).

But again, the major point is that people should have been allowed to talk it out and this would be down near the bottom until the school decided what to do, which I still think is a decision made as early as possible. But for all I know, they are waiting to gather more information and - this is the important part, we have reason to trust the university.

We have a stake in the university not embarrassing us by doing too little, not angering those who've been victims of incidents like this. or doing too much to a man who's iconic and worth so much it's impossible to calculate. WE have a stake in this going forward, that it be done respectfully, responsibly, and seriously.
    Mark Twain.

And that still leaves a policeman writing up a report that sounds far worse than the BAL. Police aren't stupid, nor do they have some perverse desire to arrest innocent people, especially wealth..never mind.

Coach is an athlete and yet can't stand straight, sentences drifting off, someone called the police upon seeing the car swerving. Now, his blood draw may have been done illegally, the machine may not have been maintained properly, the cop might have not had legal cause to stop him, there are lots of things that would get him off from criminal liability.

But none of that takes away a policeman writing up a report that sounds like a drunk guy pulled over. Few already said he used bad judgment.

No one is saying this is a fireable offense but again, or even a month-long suspension, we need to compare to what would happen to a player, a young man, who are prone to making more mistakes, especially in college where so many of us made the same mistake, but are told athletes are held to a higher standard and it's a privilege.

Few knows who he is, and he's held to a different standard, more is expected of him than a player, not less.

Abe, it is not a private matter. It's a matter of public record and now it's just as big a test of the university as it is of Few. Coach is worth tens of millions of year to this school. We all know it. He has also built up incredible trust and love throughout the community by how little scandal there's been. In between this "big deal" and "big reputation" is some kind of sweet spot that someone smarter than me will try to hit. They will likely do it right, as they do nearly everything else.

Heytvelt was suspended from the team for the rest of an entire year, that was for MJ (now legal) and shrooms (IIRC), I don't remember hearing about either of them driving impaired and that's the only incident I remember in enough detail to even discuss.

Obviously, no one is talking about suspension for more than a few games at most, none at the least. But this is far more difficult than some appreciate (most everyone, by far, does get it). If you're GU you get one shot at this. You can look like craven money-loving double standard holes, that we've rightly criticized in others over the years, or the other side, being unfair to Coach and all the good will he's built up. That's a narrow window and again, they get one shot. Damn right there's some anger over there and not just bc he could've hurt someone (swerving?).

But again, the major point is that people should have been allowed to talk it out and this would be down near the bottom until the school decided what to do, which I still think is a decision made as early as possible. But for all I know, they are waiting to gather more information and - this is the important part, we have reason to trust the university.

We have a stake in the university not embarrassing us by doing too little, not angering those who've been victims of incidents like this. or doing too much to a man who's iconic and worth so much it's impossible to calculate. WE have a stake in this going forward, that it be done respectfully, responsibly, and seriously.
    You don't have a stake in anything. You're sounding like you're more hysterical as time goes by. Ypu project that you have a stake in this. You don't. You have some form of immature fantasy. All these words you write are sheer nonsense. Nothing has happened to us, the university, players, donations or anything. It's a disorder you have...projection. It seems quite deep and usually progresses. Get some help...in the most Christian way, I think you need some help getting you through this. We're all fine/ You though, aren't managing this issue like a solid well adjusted adult.

It really is getting worse for you. This continued morbid focus and continued obsession on this event requires attention. Go find a professional to help you. You don't watch over this university. The University is fine. Nobody needs to be rescued. Your word on this, especially in this last post, show clear delusion. Unless you have some revelation, this is none of your business.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    So it’s perverse when someone want to see and hold entities accountable for fair, consistent application of accountability….interesting concept
    When it's none of your business but you continue to obsess and make it your business..........yes I'd say so. Neither you nor Dixie have a stake in this. Bizarre and it's getting worse. Accountability is good. You nor Dixie don't know thee hasn't been. And in all likelihood, there has been but it's a private matter and is none of anyone else's business.< Key concept. This sorry episode is between 3 entities. Courts, Coach and University. As far as I can tell, that's being completed. No no. I know it is. Since when does some uninvolved stranger have any right to insert himself in that process? It's none of anyone's business. Motto= keep your side of street clean and unless invited into someone else's
    business, keep it that way. Thank you for your comment.

When it's none of your business but you continue to obsess and make it your business..........yes I'd say so. Neither you nor Dixie have a stake in this. Bizarre and it's getting worse. Accountability is good. You nor Dixie don't know thee hasn't been. And in all likelihood, there has been but it's a private matter and is none of anyone else's business.< Key concept. This sorry episode is between 3 entities. Courts, Coach and University. As far as I can tell, that's being completed. No no. I know it is. Since when does some uninvolved stranger have any right to insert himself in that process? It's none of anyone's business. Motto= keep your side of street clean and unless invited into someone else's
    When the head coach (at any school, any level) gets pulled over for DUI it is not just a private matter Abe. You're sounding like you're more hysterical as time goes by. You have some form of immature fantasy. All these words you write are sheer nonsense….
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    When the head coach (at any school, any level) gets pulled over for DUI it is not just a private matter Abe. You're sounding like you're more hysterical as time goes by. You have some form of immature fantasy. All these words you write are sheer nonsense….
    AD disagrees.

Gonzaga Director of Athletics Chris Standiford said in a statement Tuesday that the department is "aware of the report that Coach Few was cited for suspicion of driving under the influence."
    "While the facts of the situation are still being evaluated, we understand its severity and the legal process that will follow. As a Gonzaga employee, we respect Coach Few’s right to privacy and will refrain from further comment at this time," the statement continues.

The last page is why this topic should stop. Not because people have differing opinions, but because it ultimately devolves into personal comments towards others.

No one is minimizing what happened. Everyone, regardless of profile, deserves to be innocent until proven guilty. It really doesn’t matter how it appears or what has been said. Ultimately the case will go thru the courts, be adjudicated, and then Coach Few will address whatever consequences there are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So says the poster with over 50 remarks in this thread versus my 3 so might check the mirror for the obsession issue……….But disagree the episode is between the courts, coach, university and the PUBLIC who make the rules and the foundational principle of fairness, accountability on an equal, fair platform applied consistently no matter who is involved…….. But clearly we see societal rules differently

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    The last page is why this topic should stop. Not because people have differing opinions, but because it ultimately devolves into personal comments towards others.

No one is minimizing what happened. Everyone, regardless of profile, deserves to be innocent until proven guilty. It really doesn’t matter how it appears or what has been said. Ultimately the case will go thru the courts, be adjudicated, and then Coach Few will address whatever consequences there are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This perspective is part of why society has turned souh IMO …being held accountable in a criminal setting is far different than being held accountable to one own ethics, morals and integrity and one (individual or entity or both) should not be hiding behind the criminal structure and process if one holds true to internal standards…..

As to the view personal comments should drive the closure of a thread…it is my personal view that is exactly why one person on this thread has consistently tried to turn it into personal commentary issues to try and force a shut down of the thread