Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Coach Few Cited For Drunk Driving

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Impossible to enforce. There are are hundreds of laws on the books that need to be purged because they aren't enforced. Adding another just clutters the books. Drinkers are gonna drink. Prohibition didn't stop them.
    It seems pretty easy. Change the law to require ID no matter what age a person is, then require anyone who is being punished to have a new ID issued and destroy the old; this new ID would have a flag on it showing that they aren't allowed to purchase EtOH. This wouldn't work in the cases where they couldn't obtain the old ID, but you could make turning in the ID a term for a lighter sentence or something like that. If countries all over the world can enforce vaccine passports, this one seems straight forward to implement.

All that would accomplish is potentially limiting the ability to purchase, not consume. Wouldnít have any issue consuming at it a private residence, or most establishments which donít check ID for someone who looks his age.

The issue isn't drinking, it's driving when drinking. Mandatory ignition interlock (breathalyzer) would be more reasonable, but rarely required on first offenders.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    All that would accomplish is potentially limiting the ability to purchase, not consume. Wouldn’t have any issue consuming at it a private residence, or most establishments which don’t check ID for someone who looks his age.
    Part of any new law regarding the suspension of drinking privileges would also have to include a provision requiring any establishment that serves alcohol to check identification regardless of age. (Remember that technically you are supposed to have your identification on you at all times when you are at any place that serves alcohol regardless of age right now)
    And it is not out of the question to implement stiff penalties for anyone who knowingly provides alcohol (or any other drugs that impair your ability to drive) to anyone who currently has their privileges suspended.
    Keep in mind that I personally have known multiple people who have had multiple DUI's and/ or other drinking and drug related offenses who never miss a day of being drunk or high regardless of if their driver's license is suspended. Including a former coworker who had had at least 7 DUI's and still drank every single day while often still getting behind the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    The thing JP is that Few is still as honorable as they come. Over 2 beers and a wine..... and maybe a buzz, itís just not a big deal. I bet if you split the samples given, one would be in the under 0.08 range. MADD made us think ANY is too much. Iím skeptical. Itís the concept tof drinking and driving that has become taboo. Conjures up a stereotypical uncaring slob who puts lives in danger. In this case I doubt it. As for recruiting, I doubt itíll matter much. The sun, compared to illegal recruiting or payoffs is quite limited Nd I doubt speaks to the character of the man or our program.

And yet the wailing and gnashing of teeth types will erupt. So be it. I do think our leader has learned and repeated the serenity prayer though. I also think this will never happen again.... for nothing else tha to avoid a stigma.
    Read the police report and get back to us. It is more than just an unnoticable amount. It was noticeable enough to get pulled over. That makes it dangerous. Dangerous behavior is a fairly big deal.

It is not, however, such a big deal that long-term good will and impeccable character get ignored. Mark Few is still a high character man of whom we can be proud to have.

But it needs to be addressed. The topic is still relevant (and it just doesn't matter if people are counting pages, I'm still learning valuable considerations from various people), in part, because there has been no final announcement from the university.

I dearly hope that the university doesn't sit quietly and wait until the ultimate legal case is settled. The cop's description is different than proof beyond a reasonable doubt and ultimate charges. If a player did this, the university would not be silently awaiting legal resolution.

I don't know the answer. That's about 47 levels about my pay grade or judgment. I'm interested in what others have to say about the ultimate resolution bc one learns, even when one disagrees.

I do listen to Jazz (on this one) bc this he is the one who has had this exact job in the past, forming a message to the public about problems. It is not easy even if one thinks it looks easy compared to heart catheters. Things can be sneaky hard.

So, the mods' decision is one that can be argued either way, it seems just as beneficial as harmful and we should be doing as most are, talking about how this impacts GU basketball, coach, the university, and what we expect to see and, quite frankly, what we deserve. He is paid a lot of money to bear a lot of responsibility. He owes "us" (the community") something. I do not know what it is.

I do not think it will have any bearing on recruiting. It will be brought up, and then be seen as irrelevant as one is brought into the same family. Families all have troubled times, none are perfect.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Very good comment Dixie.

Very good comment Dixie.
    Which, the part about Jazz?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Which, the part about Jazz?
    Easy!!! You'll lose your "Resident Curmudgeon" title.

Easy!!! You'll lose your "Resident Curmudgeon" title.
    ...and all the perks that go with it.

...and all the perks that go with it.
    I knew it!!! I always suspected you were getting paid more than the rest of us.

Over 2 beers and a wine..... and maybe a buzz, it’s just not a big deal. I bet if you split the samples given, one would be in the under 0.08 range.
    Not a big deal? He was trailed by a fire engine after the fire chief noticed his large SUV speeding in a residential area, swerving erratically, and in the words of the fire chief who called 911, Few almost hit 3 street signs. I expect if your grandkids lived on that street and were having their own labor day BBQ that evening, you might call it a big deal.

Few's two blood alcohol samples were .12 and .1199, which probably represents two recent drinks beyond the legal limit, almost certainly wasn't just 2 beers and a wine unless they were large and very alcoholic beers. How could you split these samples and expect another one to be under .08?

I knew it!!! I always suspected you were getting paid more than the rest of us.
    Yep … just like clockwork. Once every decade and a half, Jazz gets a cup of coffee at a local strip mall paid for by a mod.

Oh wait …. the former AD showed his “quicks” to his wallet and he actually paid last time. Reminds me that we are waaaay overdue for that 2nd cup o’ Joe.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Yep … just like clockwork. Once every decade and a half, Jazz gets a cup of coffee at a local strip mall paid for by a mod.

Oh wait …. the former AD showed his “quicks” to his wallet and he actually paid last time. Reminds me that we are waaaay overdue for that 2nd cup o’ Joe.
    Anytime, old sport. It’s a Broken Yolk now. And Torrey Pines is still a chip shot away, if you want to test it.

And Torrey Pines is still a chip shot away, if you want to test it.
    Played the South Course years ago, and loved it. Gorgeous views, old style layout, and a lot of fun. Dinner at Jake's at Del Mar.

Didn't know there were rattlesnakes next to the ocean, but saw a warning sign on the par-3 third hole.

I canít believe this is still being discussed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I can’t believe this is still being discussed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Coffee or golf?

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag View Post
    Not a big deal? He was trailed by a fire engine after the fire chief noticed his large SUV speeding in a residential area, swerving erratically, and in the words of the fire chief who called 911, Few almost hit 3 street signs. I expect if your grandkids lived on that street and were having their own labor day BBQ that evening, you might call it a big deal.

Few's two blood alcohol samples were .12 and .1199, which probably represents two recent drinks beyond the legal limit, almost certainly wasn't just 2 beers and a wine unless they were large and very alcoholic beers. How could you split these samples and expect another one to be under .08?
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post
    Played the South Course years ago, and loved it. Gorgeous views, old style layout, and a lot of fun. Dinner at Jake's at Del Mar.

Didn't know there were rattlesnakes next to the ocean, but saw a warning sign on the par-3 third hole.
    That’s the least of the vermin that infest our paradise. There are Zonies and Snowbirds from up north. And for one week a year, the HCs at Wazzu and SMC. /S

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNation View Post
    Coffee or golf?
    Just keep your head down.

I played that course with Huey Lewis in 88. Great course. Down the road from Belly up bar. Lots of fun.

I played that course with Huey Lewis in 88. Great course. Down the road from Belly up bar. Lots of fun.
    Makes sense for an eminent cardio to cavort with an eminent rocker associated with this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jXy2lWgpxM

We hired him when we own a couple of nightclubs at the Stateline between Wa and Idaho. For those who went to the ElPatio and
    KonTiki... I’ve always wanted to thank anyone who funded my Med school tuition..

El patio dollar pitcher nights! Glad my donations went to a noble cause Abe.

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag View Post

You don’t know much about laboratory medicine.... as expected. Thanks for stopping in though.

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    El patio dollar pitcher nights! Glad my donations went to a noble cause Abe.
    I never enjoyed the fun at “Your target on theStateLine”....always gone in training but I am grateful to those who came out I hear it was a blast.