Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Few Cited For Drunk Driving

Quote Originally Posted by zagitup View Post
    Two facts that aren't in question is the location where Coach Few was pulled over, and why. The corner of N 4th St and E Hanley Ave in Dalton Gardens is a low speed limit (25mph) residential neighborhood, with lots of children living there. He was pulled over for erratic driving and speeding in said neighborhood. Another fact not in question is the time he was stopped- 8pm- right at twilight, when MVA's are more likely to occur.
    Zagitup, I have to respectfully disagree with one point and it is one of symantics. While it is fact that he as "pulled over for eratic driving", whether or not he was driving erratically is subjective (as an engineer, I hate subjectivity). What is erratic driving? I have been told by cops and lawyers that it is not illegal to swerve all over the place as long as you do not exit the boundaries of your lane. Was he swerving to miss a squirrel? Was he temporarily blinded by the setting sun? Did he think that he saw a deer at the edge of the road? Potholes? Manhole covers? I would even add that a highly respected lawyer once told me, "that only a drunk person would drive in a straight line on the roads around here".

When confronted with similar situations, Mark has always applied solutions justly and with upmost compassion. People were not given a free pass, but offered forgiveness along with expectations. IF the person was remorseful and met the expectations, the incident became a part of the past with little bearing on the future. Mark has set the example and he deserves to "get" as good as he has "given". Everybody just needs to sit back, take a breath, and wait for the details to emerge.

I'm sure most of us are happy not to jump to conclusions over this, but Mark Few's statement seems to move us past the semantics of what is erratic driving or not. While it's indeed subjective, I trust that patrol officers know it when they see it.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

He'll correct himself and do the right thing. No one was hurt. He had a few too many. Had he waited an hour or two before driving he'd probably be within the legal limit. No need to suspend the guy from his own program for even a single game. Learn the lesson, take your licks, eat a slice of humble pie, pay the fine, do the community service, get back to winning ball games.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    He'll correct himself and do the right thing. No one was hurt. He had a few too many. Had he waited an hour or two before driving he'd probably be within the legal limit. No need to suspend the guy from his own program for even a single game. Learn the lesson, take your licks, eat a slice of humble pie, pay the fine, do the community service, get back to winning ball games.
    Glad Few has already publicly acknowledged the incident, apologized and owned the need to earn back the trust of his players, program etc.
    I think he will actually insist on suspension for some number of games if the university doesn’t make that decision. Anything less would be embarrassing considering aforementioned suspension of Perkins, who was not driving just sleeping UI.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilGolfZag View Post
    Seems like a good place to lock the thread
    Oh yea, that’ll work.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    As time goes on there will be fewer calls for him to sit out all of November or longer, like we’ve seen on this thread. I think there will be a short suspension. It is damaging to the program—we have a top 10 recruit coming across the country in 2 days which is likely to be a little awkward. But for the most part, this board is going to have the strongest disappointment and it’ll ease as time goes on and then we’ll have a great season and all will be alright. Just the way it goes with an incident where thankfully nobody was hurt (after 30 years of nothing but honorable representation in an extremely public facing position).

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Oh yea, that’ll work.
    Not sure why locking this thread will help in any way...it isn't political...

I'm happy that no one was injured to include Coach Few.

I am extremely disappointed in Coach Few for this lack of good judgement.

I also think that if it is possible to quickly move this through the legal system, the better for all concerned as this will take it out of the rotating new's cycle.

I fear this will hurt recruiting and think other programs will use this against GU when recruits are having to chose between schools. Do not know how the recruits and their parents, with whom we are communicating, will look at this incident. This DUI could well negate any recruiting success for the 2021-2022 recruiting cycle.

As far as penalties, I feel confident that Coach Few, if asked, will provide stiffer penalties then you or I might impose.

His character is tarnished but as several have stated, we hope that his "whole body of work" will be remembered more so than this one incident of poor judgement.

I pray and hope that he and his family are able to work through this and not miss too many steps in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by spike_jr View Post
    Zagitup, I have to respectfully disagree with one point and it is one of symantics. While it is fact that he as "pulled over for eratic driving", whether or not he was driving erratically is subjective (as an engineer, I hate subjectivity). What is erratic driving? I have been told by cops and lawyers that it is not illegal to swerve all over the place as long as you do not exit the boundaries of your lane. Was he swerving to miss a squirrel? Was he temporarily blinded by the setting sun? Did he think that he saw a deer at the edge of the road? Potholes? Manhole covers? I would even add that a highly respected lawyer once told me, "that only a drunk person would drive in a straight line on the roads around here".

When confronted with similar situations, Mark has always applied solutions justly and with upmost compassion. People were not given a free pass, but offered forgiveness along with expectations. IF the person was remorseful and met the expectations, the incident became a part of the past with little bearing on the future. Mark has set the example and he deserves to "get" as good as he has "given". Everybody just needs to sit back, take a breath, and wait for the details to emerge.
    Here is another point. Police have stock police report language. Almost any time a person is pulled over for a suspected DUI, you will read identical language for most incidents. Can that possibly be true?

I suspect what really happened is he was speeding, was stopped, and the police smelled alcohol. Thus, the report stated, "erratic driving." It doesn't take a genius to know police make a lot of stuff up that they write in their reports. I wouldn't believe a police report with stock language such as that. Show me a car cam and I might believe but the word of a police officer? No thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchaeaBYU View Post
    Here is another point. Police have stock police report language. Almost any time a person is pulled over for a suspected DUI, you will read identical language for most incidents. Can that possibly be true?

I suspect what really happened is he was speeding, was stopped, and the police smelled alcohol. Thus, the report stated, "erratic driving." It doesn't take a genius to know police make a lot of stuff up that they write in their reports. I wouldn't believe a police report with stock language such as that. Show me a car cam and I might believe but the word of a police officer? No thank you.
    Your cynicism on policing and rote reports may be well founded, but it’s irrelevant in this case as Few has admitted his transgression. It’s in his court now, he can either plead for process to slowly occur or take the bull by the horns and not only save but perhaps even burnish his image. The American public loves a great rising from the ashes story. A PSA from him on drunk driving during the season would be well received. “Hi, I’m Mark Few and I’m not here to talk about basketball, but life or death…..”

Your cynicism on policing and rote reports may be well founded, but it’s irrelevant in this case as Few has admitted his transgression. It’s in his court now, he can either plead for process to slowly occur or take the bull by the horns and not only save but perhaps even gild his image. The American public loves a great rising from the ashes story.
    He admitted to a lapse in judgment, essentially to breaking the law, not that he was wildly erratic in his driving.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchaeaBYU View Post
    He admitted to a lapse in judgment, essentially to breaking the law, not that he was wildly erratic in his driving.
    My understanding is that such erratic driving was reported TO the police by citizens, not solely the observation of the cops. And that the report triggered the police involvement.

My understanding is that such erratic driving was reported TO the police by citizens, not solely the observation of the cops. And that the report triggered the police involvement.
    That is how it was reported. Which probably doesn't happen if you're going 40 in a 30.

I don't think it changes much here but yeah, doesn't appear he just went a little too fast by a police officer. Outside of that, hate to speculate when we don't know much else. The investigation will run its course, he'll probably plead to a lesser charge, and everyone moves forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    This DUI could well negate any recruiting success for the 2021-2022 recruiting cycle.
    This cycle is dead on arrival anyway, at least based on whiffing on Traore and all the flips regarding Black to Ok St are accurate. But yeah this would certainly have an impact on recruiting in general and if anyone thinks otherwise they are kidding themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    This cycle is dead on arrival anyway, at least based on whiffing on Traore and all the flips regarding Black to Ok St are accurate. But yeah this would certainly have an impact on recruiting in general and if anyone thinks otherwise they are kidding themselves.
    It might. The assistant coaches do a lot of the recruiting and relationship building. It looked like the team was gathered at Coach Powell's house on Monday, seemingly having a great time. It obviously doesn't help anything, for some people it will hurt, and for some they'll still want to come to Gonzaga and play in the most fun offense in the country and compete for a national title. Hopefully Jaden Bradley falls in the latter category. But the timing of this as we make a push for Bradley is certainly suboptimal.

I don't agree that this incident will have a significant negative impact on recruiting. As many have noted, all people make mistakes. If I'm a parent of a high level recruit, and I'm guessing most will share this perspective, I want a coach who takes responsibility, owns up to his mistakes, is humble enough to admit when he is wrong, and doesn't repeat the same mistakes in the future. If all that is true, then I'm hopeful that coach will be the right person to teach my young son similar values. I also would hope that the reaction of a fan base that shows compassion and forgiveness would extend to my child as well.

I don't think speculating about the nature of his driving or field sobriety test is worth debating based on police reports, media reports, etc. It's all speculation and word parsing. That said, I'm actually finding this thread quite reasonable even within disagreements.

I'll end by noting that on a personal level I have one memory of getting behind a wheel when I shouldn't have, and though nothing happened and I wasn't significantly impaired, I still have guilt about it to this day. I'm sure many are the same. As legal limits decrease and beer ABV increases, it is REALLY easy to get above the legally required BAC. With Uber/Lyft/etc., there is really no excuse. Between 3 kids and covid, I don't really go out much at all anymore...but even if it's going to a friends house, I find it really helpful to just Uber there and take the decision out of my hands. Even the most level headed, responsible person has their judgement clouded by alcohol. It's actually more dangerous for those with a strong "tolerance" because they can feel and function so normally. That doesn't mean that reaction time and alertness are not impaired. Please be safe, all. It's never worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    I don't agree that this incident will have a significant negative impact on recruiting. As many have noted, all people make mistakes. If I'm a parent of a high level recruit, and I'm guessing most will share this perspective, I want a coach who takes responsibility, owns up to his mistakes, is humble enough to admit when he is wrong, and doesn't repeat the same mistakes in the future. If all that is true, then I'm hopeful that coach will be the right person to teach my young son similar values. I also would hope that the reaction of a fan base that shows compassion and forgiveness would extend to my child as well.

I don't think speculating about the nature of his driving or field sobriety test is worth debating based on police reports, media reports, etc. It's all speculation and word parsing. That said, I'm actually finding this thread quite reasonable even within disagreements.

I'll end by noting that on a personal level I have one memory of getting behind a wheel when I shouldn't have, and though nothing happened and I wasn't significantly impaired, I still have guilt about it to this day. I'm sure many are the same. As legal limits decrease and beer ABV increases, it is REALLY easy to get above the legally required BAC. With Uber/Lyft/etc., there is really no excuse. Between 3 kids and covid, I don't really go out much at all anymore...but even if it's going to a friends house, I find it really helpful to just Uber there and take the decision out of my hands. Even the most level headed, responsible person has their judgement clouded by alcohol. It's actually more dangerous for those with a strong "tolerance" because they can feel and function so normally. That doesn't mean that reaction time and alertness are not impaired. Please be safe, all. It's never worth it.
    Great post.

"Please be safe, all. It's never worth it."

Amen, 24. An opportunity for all of us to redouble our attention to the dangers of DUI.

"Never break two laws at once"

"Sobriety tests sober you up for the breathalyzer"

Lots of rule breaking going on, both legal and folk.

It's not a good look to get drunk and then mash through residential neighborhoods in your Escalade. Especially in your late 50's. If you're going to drink and drive you better drive like grandma (but straighter).

Nice post!

In the end, media coverage will determine how far the GU program falls from grace in public perception.

One way or another the spin on this forum will not affect the actual outcome.
    Bonjour tristesse.

this is the proper take, in my opinion. well said

+1

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneJag View Post
    A few (no pun intended) come to mind. First, we have all sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God. Second, those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Third, whomever is without sin can cast the first stone. Finally, there but by the Grace of God go I.

I am not approving Fewie’s actions nor am I defending them. He was wrong and I think his statement acknowledges that fact. If we are honest, a lot of us will admit we’ve been in that same exact place and made the same exact (poor) decision and I include myself in that statement. And I should have known better since I defended DUI cases in Coeur d’Alene early in my legal career. Yah - Fewie makes enough to hire a driver; yah - he should have waited an hour longer and maybe his blood alcohol would have declined, yah - he is a public figure, the face of Gonzaga and there should be held to a higher standard that by the way, no key board ranger here could possibly meet unless they are a hermit, and yadda, yadda, yah. And no, it’s not lack of cooperation to refuse to perform the field sobriety test - it’s called sound legal advice from someone. I would say he needs and will be held accountable both by the law and by the University and so everyone take a deep breath and let this work out.
    - spot on!

- except no, most of those who have made judgments in this post will not be honest and admit they have made the same mistake. you, zagnative and zagfan24 are the exception far as i saw. too you 3 i respect and applaud your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - spot on!

- except no, most of those who have made judgments in this post will not be honest and admit they have made the same mistake. you, zagnation and zagfan24 are the exception far as i saw. too you 3 i respect and applaud your comments.
    There were two occasions while attending Gonzaga that I drove when I shouldn’t have. I don’t know if I was over the limit, but it would have been close either way.

Alcohol can cloud judgement. Saying that a 50-year old shouldn’t have done this or that ignores this reality.

Please, read his statement and if you don’t have anything helpful to add, don’t chime in. That, as it turns out, applies to most areas of life.

Just a quick PSA crediting forum members and the mods for creating/maintaining a generally respectful thread even where there are disagreements. Need more of that (not just here but in the world generally).
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    There were two occasions while attending Gonzaga that I drove when I shouldn’t have. I don’t know if I was over the limit, but it would have been close either way.

Alcohol can cloud judgement. Saying that a 50-year old shouldn’t have done this or that ignores this reality.

Please, read his statement and if you don’t have anything helpful to add, don’t chime in. That, as it turns out, applies to most areas of life.
    It's true that alcohol clouds judgement for anyone, but someone like Mark Few should be thinking twice before drinking and getting behind the wheel. He should have a plan for those types of scenarios.