• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GU69
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
    Calling for censorship ( locking the thread ) is BS.
    This incident is not going to vanish quickly from national sport news sources. It's going to be talked about for a while in other places, so it seems fine to me to talk about it here too.

I also expect that there is more that may be learned eventually.

In the meantime, I am adding the Few family to my prayers.

Comment

• krozman
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by MDABE80
      No let’s keep this up for another 20 pages! We’ll learn more Nd it’ll be fun keeping an honorable man in the stocks so we can do an ax whoopin! Sounds fun and good!! Let go! Truth be known. When there’s no more to learn, it’s just a morose game to gossip! Think anything you say further will do someone any good.? Who? Few? He’s learned his lesson already and will learn more. But from this board. Have at it team!!
      Gossip? That's all it is? Kinda bigger than that don't you think? We're not talking about a 20 year old tweet or eating his snickers bars with a knife and fork here. We're talking about an action that dents that "honorable man" image you clearly don't want tarnished. Nobody wants to cause Coach Few further embarrassment or pain, but not discussing it doesn't make it go away, and Coach Few is the biggest public figure in Spokane, period.
      This thread is nothing compared to the punishment coach few is giving himself right now. It's going to be inane when the student sections of opposing teams starting chanting DUI nonsense at us. It's going to be a question at every press conference this year, even if we win it all. I guess my point is that it's ok to work through this together, even if it's a silly message board that goes 20 pages long.
      Krozman
      GU student 1996-2000
      Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

• willandi
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
        I'm sure there are lots of us that didn't and downplaying what Few did because others made the same egregious mistake is foolish.
        I don't personally know very many of you, and the ones I have met were over dinner and a few beers. Afterward, when we left, I don't know how many of us would have passed a breathalyzer test. I don't know where that standard would lie. 2-3 beers at NO-LI? Over 2 hours with dinner? I don't drive impaired, but cannot honestly say that I don't drive after a couple of beers with dinner.
        The only ones that can say that they have never driven somewhat impaired, are the ones that never drink, at all.
        Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• krozman
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2008

Like spray painting a turd with white paint. But it’s still a brown trout.
          Shaming people for discussing a legitimate topic is more in line with your turd analogy....which was weird. Someone help me here. When you spray paint a turd white, is that meant to portray turds better, because if my turd came out white I'd be calling a doctor. Here's what I found on the Internet. https://www.mayoclinic.org/white-sto...s/faq-20058216
          Krozman
          GU student 1996-2000
          Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

• DZ
            Zag for Life
            • Sep 2007

Legitimate topic.? Who says?? Spare me the Mayo quote. I used to work there and manages the Mayo Clinic Proceedings. Nothing special there. Beat a topic to death when all has been said. Seems shallow and lightweight. Doesn’t merit new knowledge or really anything. Some chit chat but this much is plainly ridiculous. Beside any good lawyer...a good one... would understand that he’s charged, not convicted and he plead not guilty. This whole thread is based on media reports. But it goes on as if he’s dead in the water. Far from it. Way far from it. Go on if you want but it’s hardly worth the 20 pages this thread is headed for.
            I am going to dash in and out.

This isn't a legal problem. Few has the resources to withstand anything, the suspension, the increased insurances rates, and the counseling on how to keep this from happening again. The regular joe box stacker who lives miles from where he works has a big legal problem, people won't give him any benefit of the doubt. Few doesn't have a big legal problem. The case can be dismissed tomorrow but it doesn't pull the police report off the net or from people's memory.

"Cited for DUI" is what he (and we) would hear in its place.

Few and the university have an immense PR problem bc we are the program and the school where stuff at this level happens either rarely or not at all.

Imagine what Few would do if one of the assistants has a police report like that in the papers? So now square the problem and put it in President McCullah's lap because Thayne is the real judge and the public is the real jury. How Few and Gonzaga navigate the next six months is critical. Everyone in college basketball is trying to tear us down, have been for years. They've just been handed some rope. It won't stop us but it will make things more difficult.

Last, people are still grieving. Right or not, we elevate our heroes to the point where they're supposed to be better than us and better than this, certainly. Let people talk through it bc the same conversation will be going on in the Ad building.
            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
            Mark Twain.

Comment

• Markburn1
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2015

Originally posted by willandi View Post
              I don't personally know very many of you, and the ones I have met were over dinner and a few beers. Afterward, when we left, I don't know how many of us would have passed a breathalyzer test. I don't know where that standard would lie. 2-3 beers at NO-LI? Over 2 hours with dinner? I don't drive impaired, but cannot honestly say that I don't drive after a couple of beers with dinner.
              The only ones that can say that they have never driven somewhat impaired, are the ones that never drink, at all.
              You are the guy that scares me. Designated drivers is a thing. Once again, diminishing the seriousness of this because you think most of us do it is not cool.

Comment

• willandi
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2007

You are the guy that scares me. Designated drivers is a thing. Once again, diminishing the seriousness of this because you think most of us do it is not cool.
                I didn't diminish anything and I know that, unless you have never had a drink outside your home, that you have done this at one time or another.
                The ones that scare me are the ones that deny ever having done so.

Comment

• zagfan08
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

I mean, not everyone has driven at .12. Don't think it's fair to say that.

This has been a good thread but might be reaching a danger zone here.

Comment

• Markburn1
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2015

I didn't diminish anything and I know that, unless you have never had a drink outside your home, that you have done this at one time or another.
                    Sorry Will. You don't know.

I don't drink. My kids do. They make sure they have designated drivers if they know they will "have a couple". If you don't, you are taking the same chance that Few did. Not cool.

Comment

• Zag365
                      Zag for Life
                      • Apr 2007

The Josh Heytvelt incident was well-handled IMO. I'm sure the ID prosecutor, Coach Few, GU, and the MBB program (players, boosters, etc.) will deal with this one appropriately as well. It will take a several weeks/months to get past the initial shock, confusion, and instant punditry before a reasonable resolution emerges. The three "keys to success" (sports analogy here) are: (1) let the criminal process playout with no interference. Ask no favors and only insist on being treated similarly to others cited for DUI with similar facts; (2) on a separate track, GU imposes discipline in a manner consistent with school values and how other cases of a similar nature have been handled - again, no favors or cutting corners because the individual is a "star" in the MBB program; and (3) Coach Few, as he has already started to do, expresses appropriate contrition publicly and privately, doesn't obfuscate or make excuses, and demonstrates by conduct going forward there ain't gonna be a repeat of this lapse in judgment.

Comment

• willandi
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

Sorry Will. You don't know.

I don't drink. My kids do. They make sure they have designated drivers if they know they will "have a couple". If you don't, you are taking the same chance that Few did. Not cool.
                        I understand, but I also don't believe that there has never been a time when your kids haven't driven after a couple. They will not have told you, and I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but when intent is to just have a short visit that becomes longer, and one drink becomes two, and the distance is not far...I believe that it has happened to everyone that drinks, one time or another.
                        Sorry but you won't be able to convince me otherwise.

Comment

• zagfan08
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zag365 View Post
                          The Josh Heytvelt incident was well-handled IMO. I'm sure the ID prosecutor, Coach Few, GU, and the MBB program (players, boosters, etc.) will deal with this one appropriately as well. It will take a several weeks/months to get past the initial shock, confusion, and instant punditry before a reasonable resolution emerges. The three "keys to success" (sports analogy here) are: (1) let the criminal process playout with no interference. Ask no favors and only insist on being treated similarly to others cited for DUI with similar facts; (2) on a separate track, GU imposes discipline in a manner consistent with school values and how other cases of a similar nature have been handled - again, no favors or cutting corners because the individual is a "star" in the MBB program; and (3) Coach Few, as he has already started to do, expresses appropriate contrition publicly and privately, doesn't obfuscate or make excuses, and demonstrates by conduct going forward there ain't gonna be a repeat of this lapse in judgment.
                          This is a good post and I'm pretty confident all this will happen. The suspension from the school will probably leave some people thinking it was too strong and some thinking it wasn't strong enough. It helps when people don't weigh in on a legal process they're unfamiliar with, although that's probably too much to expect.

Comment

• HenneZag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Aug 2012

As Few stated once they first asked initially that he had no drinks. Later changed his tune to 1-2 beers several hours ago.
                            America's Team!

Comment

• gu03alum
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

This thread is kind of hilarious. I agree with Abe (never thought I would say that in my lifetime).

I wonder if this thread will get moved to the hall of fame forum.
                              Bring back the OCC

Comment

• ZagsObserver
                                Zag for Life
                                • Jan 2010

I’m with Abe. Dissect away. He who throws stones…

Comment

Working...
                                X