Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Few Cited For Drunk Driving

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Irrelevant.
    Agreed. Like you said Jazz, he needs to do good with this mistake and not hide behind it. I have full confidence he will do so.
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

wish GU/Few would've broke news first.

expect response as this story spreads

Irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    wish GU/Few would've broke news first.

expect response as this story builds
    Yes, he should make a public statement ASAP. For the 6 o’clock news if possible.

Perkins was suspended 2 games. Here’s what Perkins dealt with over the course of his senior season:

“On campus, students shook their head disapprovingly, calling him an alcoholic and crazy partier. At road games, opposing student sections chanted “D-U-I!” when Perkins touched the ball. At BYU, an errant pass went sailing into the stands, knocking over a Cougars fan’s peanuts. Perkins went over to help clean up, but walked away when the fan quipped that there was alcohol in the peanuts, and did that mean Perkins wanted some?”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa.../amp/444757002

It's being reported nationally as well.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-driving-drunk

Few has always been a coach and a person to take responsibility. We all make mistakes, and the real test of character is what you do after the mistake.

One important thing to consider. Families of Gonzaga recruits feel very comfortable in sending their sons to Gonzaga to mentored by coach few. I expect this will change the dynamics of future recruiting a bit. Very unfortunate incident that tarnishes his legacy and that of Gonzaga.

Quote Originally Posted by SageOfZagville View Post
    One important thing to consider. Families of Gonzaga recruits feel very comfortable in sending their sons to Gonzaga to mentored by coach few. I expect this will change the dynamics of future recruiting a bit. Very unfortunate incident that tarnishes his legacy and that of Gonzaga.
    Tarnish, a bit harsh. Damage, yes. And you better believe this will be used against GU in future recruiting battles.

KREM reports

Gonzaga Director of Athletics Chris Standiford said in a statement Tuesday that the department is "aware of the report that Coach Few was cited for suspicion of driving under the influence."
    "While the facts of the situation are still being evaluated, we understand its severity and the legal process that will follow. As a Gonzaga employee, we respect Coach Few’s right to privacy and will refrain from further comment at this time," the statement continues.
    https://www.krem.com/article/news/cr...3-3bd9eb03ad2f

I am chiming in because others won't share my sentiment. I support Coach Few and believe he'll do the right thing. I also don't condemn him in light of how these things happen. Good people make errors in judgment. Thankfully, neither he nor anyone else was harmed. Let him face his penalty, as he will assuredly suffer, and let the rest of us enjoy his fabulous coaching. I wish him nothing but well.

Don't interpret this as support for driving in excess of legal limits of alcohol. With Uber/Lyft, there is no longer a reason for it. But that shouldn't be treated more harshly than texting and driving if no harm comes to another.

Just reported on SportsCenter

so Few is human.....so are we......learn from it....move on...

Quote Originally Posted by ArchaeaBYU View Post
    I am chiming in because others won't share my sentiment. I support Coach Few and believe he'll do the right thing. I also don't condemn him in light of how these things happen. Good people make errors in judgment. Thankfully, neither he nor anyone else was harmed. Let him face his penalty, as he will assuredly suffer, and let the rest of us enjoy his fabulous coaching. I wish him nothing but well.

Don't interpret this as support for driving in excess of legal limits of alcohol. With Uber/Lyft, there is no longer a reason for it. But that shouldn't be treated more harshly than texting and driving if no harm comes to another.
    Seems a reasonable POV to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    so Few is human.....so are we......learn from it....move on...
    Usually, when people are cited with a DUI, they are held accountable in some form or fashion. For Mark Few's position, it would be irresponsible to simply let this go under the rug. He has to be held to a higher standard.

Quote Originally Posted by ET2021 View Post
    Usually, when people are cited with a DUI, they are held accountable in some form or fashion. For Mark Few's position, it would be irresponsible to simply let this go under the rug. He has to be held to a higher standard.
    Perkins got a2 game suspension. I assume something similar for Few.

Wow and his son is a Gonzaga walk-on this year. Poor example for the team and son. Reports was he was speeding and driving erratically, so should not be cut no slack. Needs to be suspended for couple of games, and he needs to take responsibility for his actions as quickly as possible. Hope Gonzaga and Few get right on this. And every time its brought up to him, he simply admits he screwed up and don't get defensive about the matter, own it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Perkins got a2 game suspension. I assume something similar for Few.
    Considering the circumstances in each case, I would assume 4 games, maybe more.

Quote Originally Posted by ET2021 View Post
    Considering the circumstances in each case, I would assume 4 games, maybe more.
    No correlation. Josh was a stupid kid. Few has massive standing in the community.

No correlation. Josh was a stupid kid. Few has massive standing in the community.
    He's a 58-year-old and head coach of a major basketball program. Not a fan of not holding people in these positions accountable.

Illegal drugs are a lot different than legal alcohol where he was barely above the legal limit.
    Bring back the OCC

He can get advice from Bob Huggins

Conversely, he’s done a lot more for the university and community. 2 games.

All of us make mistakes. I'm glad no one was hurt and I hope Coach Few makes the most of this life lesson.

Sent from my ASUS_A009 using Tapatalk

I am very sad to read this. But what will the penalty be? Will he face a suspension for this year? How will it impact the upcoming season? How will it impact recruiting for 2022 and beyond? This is just not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorzag99 View Post
    All of us make mistakes. I'm glad no one was hurt and I hope Coach Few makes the most of this life lesson.

Sent from my ASUS_A009 using Tapatalk
    Agreed.

I'm more pissed off at reports that he was being uncooperative. He's the face of a National program where trust took years and years to build. Hopefully he can find a positive way to communicate this out to his team and the public. This is emberassing, I get that we all make mistakes but in his position you have to be smart. Have someone else drive, call an Uber ANYTHING. This will be talked about all year unfortunately.
    America's Team!