• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80
    This episode has nothing to do with a black mark on the program. It’s an individual and personal mistake. Lots of “by extension” thoughts here. They mean nothing. And this personal episode does not take the program down a notch. Nope. One guy made a mistake. As it turns out by my extensive 25 yrs watching drunks and addicts, he’s likely done it before and just was caught this time. So he won’t do it again. He’s thinking there’s too much to lose, that it’s embarrassing for his family and this program. It’s his issue and not ours. In a world of issues this is not a big one.
    Really? DWI not a big one? Wow.

Comment

• PNW Zagfan
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Jan 2015

As it turns out by my extensive 25 yrs watching drunks and addicts, he’s likely done it before and just was caught this time.
      Ironically, with your own statement you may succeed in getting the thread locked down. This was really uncalled for.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
        According to the VERY definition of the word. You created a false narrative from my statement (almost a caricature or hyperbolic version of it - not to mention, incomplete) and then refuted it. Embarrassing.
        Nonsense from you as usual.Seems we've done this before, so I'll leave it at that.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
          Wow, doc, you’ve gone from this thread needs to be closed to calling Few a drunk. What’s up?
          He probably didn't mean it that way. You learn a lot about human nature when you navigate the extremes.

Comment

• RenoZag
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Wake me when the university announces the consequences they choose to hold Coach Few accountable.

Sent via mobile device
            The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• TravelinZag
              Zag for Life
              • Dec 2012

The university cannot wait for the legal process to play out; it needs to get in front of this. That is the responsible thing to do.

Others: agree or disagree?

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TravelinZag View Post
                The university cannot wait for the legal process to play out; it needs to get in front of this. That is the responsible thing to do.

Others: agree or disagree?
                Maybe. Their statement was lukewarm. But the most inappropriate thing said so far is the arresting officer describing the accused as “Mark” repeatedly. I’m sure they warn against that level of familiarity in cop school. Coach Few would’ve been marginally less inappropriate. And the intriguing comment that after he arrived at the station he was ordered by superiors to release Few. Again, inappropriate. If I’m a local reporter I ask the arresting officer if he knew Mark personally.

Comment

• Zagceo
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2013

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                  Maybe. Their statement was lukewarm. But the most inappropriate thing said so far is the arresting officer describing the accused as “Mark” repeatedly. I’m sure they warn against that level of familiarity in cop school. Coach Few would’ve been marginally less inappropriate. And the intriguing comment that after he arrived at the station he was ordered by superiors to release Few. Again, inappropriate. If I’m a local reporter I ask the arresting officer if he knew Mark personally.
                  wouldn’t read much into releasing Few with citation

it’s common practice in Covid environment

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Zagceo View Post
                    wouldn’t read much into releasing Few with citation

it’s common practice in Covid environment
                    Been common practice since 1987
                    The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• bigblahla
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

In Sept. 2015 I got my DUI... in the GU district... according to the lawyer illegal stop... none of the officers statements were a moving violation and he targeted me in his own testimony... I did not fight it... because I was guilty...

Was it my first time drinking and driving?... No... Do I drink and drive any more?... No... Did I learn from it?... Yes...

Charge reduced to neg driving, cost me about $6500 all told not including the increase in my insurance for 3 years...

Any one else but Coach and we would have never heard about this... it is his issue and he'll deal with it like the man that he is... I trust Coaches moral compass... he's an apple off of Norm's tree....

Go!! Zags!!!
                      "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by bigblahla View Post
                        In Sept. 2015 I got my DUI... in the GU district... according to the lawyer illegal stop... none of the officers statements were a moving violation and he targeted me in his own testimony... I did not fight it... because I was guilty...

Was it my first time drinking and driving?... No... Do I drink and drive any more?... No... Did I learn from it?... Yes...

Charge reduced to neg driving, cost me about $6500 all told not including the increase in my insurance for 3 years...

Any one else but Coach and we would have never heard about this... it is his issue and he'll deal with it like the man that he is... I trust Coaches moral compass... he's an apple off of Norm's tree....

Go!! Zags!!!
                        Thanks for sharing your story. I got my DWI in 2012. My wife came into the local jail (my fingerprints were taken, but I didn’t stay overnight)she was absolutely livid, tear streaming down her face also

I’ve had like 4 beers total since that moment. I can thank my wife completely for helping turn me into a more responsible and family man. Without her I might’ve continued i don’t know. I was given an ultimatum that day. I didn’t have to stop drinking, I just had to never drive again while drinking. I’ve just made sure I’ve never put myself back into a position where I can make a bad choice.

My BAC was twice Fews. I really was in bad shape that day. I thank the cop for pulling me over, without him I may not be here right now. And I still get to live a life of happiness. A couple buddies of mine were not so lucky, before and after my incident. Just glad Few didn’t injure / kill anyone. I’m rooting for his success to overcome it.

I am in no means excusing him for his actions. He could’ve killed 3 people like a buddy of mine did back in 2016 the day after thanksgiving. It’s dumb and stupid. But I have absolutely no room to talk when it comes to DUI/DWI, as I’ve had one before. I’m not going to disown him for that one thing. I know it’s helped me turn into a better person. Without mine, I may have caused more trouble. If I know Few well enough not only will he learn from it, he’ll do more good work from it than I have in my last 9 years. I hit mine head on, he’s going to hit his head on and hopefully change others’ lives and help them not put the keys in the ignition
                        Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• GoZags
                          Super Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

I had my last drink shortly after my 30th birthday.

I was fortunate in that I never got pulled over while in my teens or 20’s …. but I KNEW my drinking habits were not good and with alcoholism on both sides of the family I did the math. I had just turned 30 and figured to that point I had consumed over 10,000 drinks (3-4 or more a day, every day since my sophomore year at Gonzaga).

I feel Blessed that prior to my sabbatical from drinking in 1985 I didn’t hurt or kill anyone, including myself. I believe I have a Guardian Angel looking out for me … especially then

Mark Few learned a hard lesson Labor Day weekend. And I believe he too had a Guardian Angel looking out for him …. ensuring his transgression(s) didn’t hurt or kill anyone, including himself.
                          Last edited by GoZags; 09-12-2021, 10:40 AM.
                          sigpic
                          “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                          ——-
                          List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                          Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Kiddwell
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

"All we like sheep have gone astray..." -- Isaiah 53:6

Originally posted by GoZags View Post

I was fortunate in that I never got pulled over while in my teens or 20’s …. but I KNEW my drinking habits were not good and with alcoholism on both sides of the family I did the math. I had just turned 30 and figured to that point I had consumed over 10,000 drinks (3-4 or more a day, every day since my sophomore year at Gonzaga).

I feel Blessed that prior to my sabbatical from drinking in 1985 I didn’t hurt or kill anyone, including myself. I believe I have a Guardian Angel looking out for me … especially then

Mark Few learned a hard lesson Labor Day weekend. And I believe he too had a Guardian Angel looking out for him …. ensuring his transgression(s) didn’t hurt or kill anyone, including himself.
                            A humble and wonderful post.

:]
                            Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post

I am very impressed by the outpouring of personal experiences on this Board. I think St. Aloysius has been working overtime as our Guardian Angel. I'll go further and say that Father Tony is assisting him. Yeah, I was nailed too for DUI during my junior year, coming back from the Rathskeller. St. Al has protected me many times, particularly during my tour in Germany. Sheesh, I lived nearly 30 miles off base, and occasionally imbibed a few at the Spangdahlem AB Officers Club.

And if you look at a map of the Mosel River, you'd be wondering how I never ended up in the water. I got smarter, though...during my last two years in Germany, every quarterly Hail & Farewell was held within a ten minute drive of my apartment. You guys know it had nothing to do with my personal popularity...lol, it's just there were so many restaurants with beautiful views of the Mosel, and wonderfully accommodating hosts of those establishments. For many couples, it was their first introduction to an area I've always called my second home.

Now that I'm 67, I truly realize my limitations as a driver...I don't like to drive at night, and I don't drive if I've had more than a couple. I am no longer one of the best drivers in the world, with over a million miles with one accident, which wasn't my fault. Up until my kids started driving, I was a profit center for USAA, and that changed rapidly.

Comment

• GrizZAG
                                Zag for Life
                                • Nov 2009

A little hard on my beloved Brown Trout there Doc. Better eating, bigger fight, nasty teeth.
                                Mark is a man of honor and I'm not changing how I respect the man. I am concerned about those who feel they are perfect however.

No he isnt. And yes. Much of this is gossipy crap. What you’ve just typed
                                Like spray painting a turd with white paint. But it’s still a brown trout.
                                One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

Working...
                                X