Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Few Cited For Drunk Driving

I drove one time when I should not have when at GU and living at home... it was why I moved on campus not long after.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - spot on!

- except no, most of those who have made judgments in this post will not be honest and admit they have made the same mistake. you, zagnative and zagfan24 are the exception far as i saw. too you 3 i respect and applaud your comments.
    My experience growing up in the 50's and 60's in a white non college greatest generation post war culture was that drinking and driving was nearly universal....not the exception.....in my teens till my thirties I must have done it thousands of times....no accidents or citations and all of my peers did the same thing...it was similar to smoking....dumb....reckless...

If you were stopped by the cops it was for a traffic violation....mostly speeding or even racing...the cops might confiscate the beer or pour it out but no one was ever charged....this was all changed when the Mothers got Mad....

And it was a necessary change as thousands of people were killed by drunk drivers.....

I quit drinking nearly 40 years ago...and never drive distracted ....and thank my lucky stars that I never had a accident or hurt myself or anyone....else....

I have investigated dozens of accidents with the WSP on forest roads....some fatal....and in every case the cause was a impaired or distracted driver usually going too fast for the conditions...

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy outgo lifer View Post
    For the Lawyers out there, is it advisable for Mark Few to issue a public apology when this is an ongoing case? My guess would be it is not advisable to admit guilt via a public apology before the case is actually closed.
    I noticed that he didn't admit he was above the legal limit. He said something like "it's bad to get behind the wheel after consuming any amount of alcohol."
    Also, the public relations/professional consequences of this could be more serious than the legal consequences for him (not that those will be severe either). So, even if something is bad from the perspective of legal strategy, he should maybe say it anyway if it helps him in other areas. Don't wag the dog. -a civil attorney

A friend of mine is a DUI attorney. He says there is a mountain of evidence that field sobriety tests should be eliminated as many people fail them for health reasons. For instance, I have terrible balance due to a variety of medical problems. So trying to get me to stand on one foot or walk a straight line is really challenging. I never could do the eye test, and my eyes are always glassy due to allergies. One time I was on the side of the highway having issues with my car, and after failing the field sobriety test (which I will never agree to again) I was fine with taking the initial breathalyzer test (you actually get tested 2x). Of course I was 0.00, and so the officer helped me get a tow truck. My attorney friend also says that anyone who has been drinking and driving should opt for a blood test. Never choose the breathalyzer. Breathalyzers have accuracy issues. He knows because one of the first things he does when a client of his gets arrested is he looks at the logs for that breathalyzer to see if there are inconsistencies. Your blood is a much better way of measuring your BAC. I had a buddy in my 20's who got his case dropped because his blood test was well below the legal limit. (it really helped him to have a lawyer. DUI cases are tricky because so many entities are involved).

The whole point of all of this is that when you're in that .08-.12 zone, you're playing with fire. You feel as though you can safely get home at that level (and most of the time you can unless you rarely drink), but all it takes is your license plate being out, and the cops can nail you. I always remember as a kid if we went out to dinner, if my mom or dad had more than one (low octane) beer or a glass of wine with dinner, the other person would stick with one drink and do the driving. Once I was able to drive, I volunteered. With Few's money, family, connections, there is really no reason to not to get a cab, call Uber, call a friend or family member, etc. It was definitely poor judgment on his part, but I am also not going to equate what he did with the guy who is out of mind, .20+ and passes out behind the wheel. That being said, it's disappointing.

Alcohol affects judgment is pretty interesting ways. I have read that alcohol tricks the mind into believing that you are capable of driving when you are least capable to make that decision. One study found:

Alcohol also decreases some of the activity of the prefrontal cortex. This part of the brain is what helps you to think clearly and rationally, and it is involved in your decision making abilities. When you drink, alcohol makes it harder for the prefrontal cortex to work as it should, disrupting decision-making and rational thought. In this way, alcohol prompts you to act without thinking about your actions.
    It's likely that anyone who has gotten behind the wheel after drinking has made a bad decision whether we are willing to admit it or not.

Alcohol affects judgment is pretty interesting ways. I have read that alcohol tricks the mind into believing that you are capable of driving when you are not capable of driving. One study found:
    Especially in the BAC area Few was in.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Especially in the BAC area Few was in.
    Did he blow that on the roadside or back at the station?

Not sure.

These things could be different by county, but the only person I know who got involved in a DUI incident failed the initial roadside blow. About 10 minutes later, he was asked if he wanted to blow again for his official blow (which would've happed on the roadside), or to have his blood drawn. He asked to have his blood taken. There is no doubt that the transportation between his apartment and the hospital (the drunk tank was next door to the hospital) helped drive down his BAC, but not by a huge amount. The breathalyzer in his case clearly had some issues.

Just finished reading this whole thing and noticed that no one until the last few entrees admitted to driving in the wrong lane....come on guys you were late 19,s thru the 20,s nd 30,s just like everyone else, take Labor day,barbecues,watching the Zags beat Duke at the local sports pub and a few to many it happens, the company has a outing at the lake and its back slapping and beer drinking all afternoon it happens, Ive been very lucky all my life I'm 87 and I've been dry for 15 years and I'm proud of it, did take me longer than most I quess. Rob

The length and content of this thread is what’s talked about in recovery centers. This is pretty simple. Few tipped over the level with an inaccurate machine. Apparently he was weaving or Speedo g while driving. It’s a common story. The states provide leewAy in applying the law. So now this is just a simple as one man facing an infraction. Likely this thread should end. Nobody’s offering anything new or insightful.
    Most likely this will end up being a neg driving charge. A fine and off ya go never to drink and drive again.

I used to offer intake services for an addiction/recovery center. Unless it was heroin or a major league issue, the drinkers generally made a deal with the courts and got back to work. I think coach will be treated like the usual and customary.

It’s just how things are these days. MADD got I the loop and things have changed but the usual thing is as depicted above. Most of the DUI crew have done what coach has done lots of times he just got caught this time. I’m certain he’ll not do it agin.

Play ball!!

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    The length and content of this thread is what’s talked about in recovery centers. This is pretty simple. Few tipped over the level with an inaccurate machine. Apparently he was weaving or Speedo g while driving. It’s a common story. The states provide leewAy in applying the law. So now this is just a simple as one man facing an infraction. Likely this thread should end. Nobody’s offering anything new or insightful.
    Most likely this will end up being a neg driving charge. A fine and off ya go never to drink and drive again.

I used to offer intake services for an addiction/recovery center. Unless it was heroin or a major league issue, the drinkers generally made a deal with the courts and got back to work. I think coach will be treated like the usual and customary.

It’s just how things are these days. MADD got I the loop and things have changed but the usual thing is as depicted above. Most of the DUI crew have done what coach has done lots of times he just got caught this time. I’m certain he’ll not do it agin.

Play ball!!
    I don't see what's wrong with discussing the situation, seeing as it's nationwide news. I've actually been pleasantly surprised at how cordial everyone has been on the topic throughout the thread.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Interesting breakdown on blood alcohol content and how many drinks it takes based on body weight/time

https://www.verywellmind.com/bac-and...ter-two-drinks

The length and content of this thread is whatís talked about in recovery centers. This is pretty simple. Few tipped over the level with an inaccurate machine. Apparently he was weaving or Speedo g while driving. Itís a common story. The states provide leewAy in applying the law. So now this is just a simple as one man facing an infraction. Likely this thread should end. Nobodyís offering anything new or insightful.

Itís just how things are these days. MADD got I the loop and things have changed but the usual thing is as depicted above. Most of the DUI crew have done what coach has done lots of times he just got caught this time. Iím certain heíll not do it agin.

Play ball!!
    "So now this is just a simple as one man facing an infraction. Likely this thread should end."

I'm sorry, Doc, but wishing won't make this incident go away. The price of celebrity, etc.

They are cordial because they have been guilty of doing the same a time or two or more! it happens!

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Not sure.

These things could be different by county, but the only person I know who got involved in a DUI incident failed the initial roadside blow. About 10 minutes later, he was asked if he wanted to blow again for his official blow (which would've happed on the roadside), or to have his blood drawn. He asked to have his blood taken. There is no doubt that the transportation between his apartment and the hospital (the drunk tank was next door to the hospital) helped drive down his BAC, but not by a huge amount. The breathalyzer in his case clearly had some issues.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Interesting breakdown on blood alcohol content and how many drinks it takes based on body weight/time

This is interesting, based on this information and my weight I could have 3 drinks over the course of one hour and be under the .08 BAC, that seems like a lot. 2 will continue to be my limit when driving and that's typically over a 2+ hour period like a basketball game.
    It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    "So now this is just a simple as one man facing an infraction. Likely this thread should end."

I'm sorry, Doc, but wishing won't make this incident go away. The price of celebrity, etc.
    ok......WHAT;S MORE TO BE SAID?? What's more to be learned? He received an infraction. Everyone;s chimed in. What's the point of beating thread to death? Gossip? Yes let's gossip the crap out it!! It's enough.

This is a great program and while we have had our blips in the past, I've been pretty impressed by the way those situations were handled. The Heytvelt and Perkins situations were rough but they made their apologies, accepted their consequences and got back to work as hard as ever. Whatever we felt at the time, in my opinion, these were guys to be proud of when they graduated. Listening to Adam's podcast in the Kispert and Ayayi episodes they had nothing but great things to say about Josh and the way he welcomed those guys in.

This is a black eye and it is going to sting like hell until things get back to relative normal...but I'm optimistic that things will get back that way.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilGolfZag View Post
    Seems like a good place to lock the thread
    second it......

Quote Originally Posted by rijman View Post
    This is interesting, based on this information and my weight I could have 3 drinks over the course of one hour and be under the .08 BAC, that seems like a lot. 2 will continue to be my limit when driving and that's typically over a 2+ hour period like a basketball game.
    "Drink" is a real misnomer at this point. Many craft brews are in the 6-8% range. I used to follow the limit of 2, but two Belgian Dubbels is like having 4+ Coors Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by rijman View Post
    I admit to looking these things up too and being pretty shocked by the per hour thing too. I would think having "just 8 or 9" over the course of a football game seems like a lot too much. If I'm going to be driving 2 after a decent period of time is my limit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    "Drink" is a real misnomer at this point. Many craft brews are in the 6-8% range. I used to follow the limit of 2, but two Belgian Dubbels is like having 4+ Coors Lights.
    This. Actually, some are up to 11 percent if it’s a double or triple ipa, but 6 to 8.5 is very common. Keystone light, by comparison, my Gonzaga drink of choice many years ago, was 4 percent.

As for mixed drinks, with all the mixers, you can have three shots in a drink and not notice the alcohol taste.

ok......WHAT;S MORE TO BE SAID?? What's more to be learned? He received an infraction. Everyone;s chimed in. What's the point of beating thread to death? Gossip? Yes let's gossip the crap out it!! It's enough.
    Totally agree. He took full responsibility. He did not try to justify anything and he apologized. He will deal with the aftermath in an honorable way. I've made poor decisions on driving a couple times and didn't realize until i was home that I should have not driven. I called my husband another time to pick me up. I am a very light weight when it comes to alcohol and only drink socially so believe me it's easy to misjudge. Everything has been said. He made a terrible error in judgement but he is a good man and will not make it again. The End.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post

Very interesting....do you have any data in the context of premarital sex ???? I know candy is nicer but liquor is quicker......or used to be.....I am told.....now I am showing my age....

What I haven't heard on this thread is any real compassion for Mark. Yes, he made a very bad choice. There is no way to justify it. I'm certainly not going to pretend that in my past I didn't make that same choice. I was just fortunate to not get tagged. But, I can say that if I did get tagged, some people would read about it in the News of Record and some people would know. It would definitely not be national headline news, though. The price of celebrity, yes, but I am sorry to see our stellar coach and our program going through this. I am confident that Mark is in pain over this, truly contrite, and will not make this mistake again.