Thread: A team preview

Default A team preview

If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Wow, Hickman under the radar. Subterranean, if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Not surprising. Writers went with mostly known quantities. Also, the short length of the article limited itself to a few highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Not surprising. Writers went with mostly known quantities. Also, the short length of the article limited itself to a few highlights.
    Agree. But that writer might feel silly in March when Hickman is a star.

Agree. But that writer might feel silly in March when Hickman is a star.
    Hickman will be one of the best guards to come through our system. Kids a stud.
    America's Team!

to those that haven't seen Hickman highlights ...he's number 2 in white

Thanks for posting this!

Suggsian, with a Josh look and handle.

Looks like the writer just went off some recruit rankings that had Sallis higher. I'm w/ those who would be surprised if Hickman doesn't start, given the history of playing two guards w/ point skills.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Looks like the writer just went off some recruit rankings that had Sallis higher. I'm w/ those who would be surprised if Hickman doesn't start, given the history of playing two guards w/ point skills.
    I like the idea of a Nembhard / Hickman starting backcourt w Harris being first guard off the bench. Will be interesting to see i
    who would start at the three spot alongside these two: Strawther or Bolton. Strawther could be a microwave instant offense guy off the bench but need shooters around Timme.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I like the idea of a Nembhard / Hickman starting backcourt w Harris being first guard off the bench. Will be interesting to see i
    who would start at the three spot alongside these two: Strawther or Bolton. Strawther could be a microwave instant offense guy off the bench but need shooters around Timme.
    Three-point shooting is a question mark for this team. Strawther, Harris, Bolton, and Hickman all seem to be able to hit them when they are wide open on a catch and shoot situation. If one of them can reliably hit contested shots late in the shot clock, he will probably earn a starting spot.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Different article at the top of the thread now than when I wrote this post. Orig article listed a starting 5 w/ Sallis in it, and no Hickman.

Revealing quote from Coach Few in the Blue Ribbon College Basketball newsletter previewing this year’s edition:

“I think the real challenge for us this year is going to be how young we are,” Few says. “We’re young. Chet’s going to play. Hunter’s going to play. Nolan’s going to play. And Dom Harris and Julian [Strawther] got minutes last year, but they were backup minutes.”
    Add locks for major minutes: Nembhard, Timme
    Locks for significant minutes: Watson, Bolton

That’s a 9 man rotation right there not including Gregg and Perry.
    Not exactly a surprising quote from Few given the talent he has this year but gives me confidence Zags will be rolling with an FSU type approach to playing time this season. Can’t wait to see it.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

Few plays 7 men after December.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Few has grown over the years. I agree he plays 7-8 past December but this team is different and has SO many players. He needs to expand his rotation with the talent this year. I do see a couple of red shirts but we still will have enough talent to go 9 deep.

Yup...... until the game is decided....

Hickman looked so poised and polished in that video. Pretty amazing for a high schooler. I think his ball handling and shot mechanics looks better than Suggs, but he's not as tall and probably not as freakishly athletic (though few guys are!).

For the sake of fandom, it would be great to see him stick around for at least a couple years and run the show. His charity and community work is also especially impressive for a teenager!

Usually, but w this much talent and the new world of instant eligibility for transfers I think Few knows he needs to expand his rotation this year.

Reading Lindy’s basketball preview and must have found a typo. In the rating the conferences section they have the the WCC 6th. Behind the ACC at 5 and ahead of the Big East at 7. Looks like they aren’t very high on the Big East this year, saying Nova and UConn are the only sure fire tourney teams.

I do think the conference will be a little stronger this year. I could see Pacific taking a small step back with the coaching change even though I think they have a little more talent than last year and I think Pepperdine might take a step back losing Ross and Edwards although they have some decent young players. Everyone else seemed to really benefit on keeping their best seniors for another season and more quality transfers entering the conference than leaving.

Every single time I watch Hickman videos, I leave going 1) “he’s really really good” and 2) he is vastly underrated even at #20 or so in the nation.

I loved Jalen. One of my top 5 favorite zags of all time.

I think Nolan comes in as a more polished ball handler and passer. Might be a better shooter. Jalen is more athletic but Nolan has some bounce too. Suggs has better size. What’s yet to be seen is the leadership and take over ability of Nolan. Jalen had it like very few freshman ever

The passage below was written by WaPo sportswriter Thomas Boswell who is retiring after 56 years in the business.

“Hope is the engine of sports. It keeps the turnstile spinning and the imagination racing. It gives fire to the old, insomnia to the young. Like the man said, hope is the thing with feathers on it; no matter where you find it, you can’t beat it. And where do you meet it most often in this dreary old world? Maybe in sports. Because you can schedule hope there — pencil it right onto your calendar. Hope comes attached to the ticket. Your guarantee of satisfaction isn’t money-back, but it’s ironclad. It’s called ‘next season.’”

"Next season" is finally here for GU hoops. . .