Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: Last 10 years of #1 seeds

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    63

    Default Last 10 years of #1 seeds

    Here are the top teams with number 1 seeds from 2012-2021
    4 - Gonzaga
    Kansas
    North Carolina
    Virginia

    3- Villanova

    2 - Duke
    Kentucky

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Fat City
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZag View Post
    Here are the top teams with number 1 seeds from 2012-2021
    4 - Gonzaga
    Kansas
    North Carolina
    Virginia

    3- Villanova

    2 - Duke
    Kentucky
    We are one of two without a title in that period? Ouch.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    984

    Default

    Would be at 5 with Kansas if the tournament was played in 2020.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    We are one of two without a title in that period? Ouch.
    Hmmm. How many 1 seeds from the PAC 12 and Big Can’t Count past Ten? (The answer = 8). And no titles for either of those entire conferences since 1997 (PAC 12) and 2001 (Big 10).

    Ouch.
    Last edited by GoZags; 09-01-2021 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Edited to add PAC 12 #1 seeds (2) and Big 10 #1 seeds (6) over the last decade.

    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

    Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Fat City
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Hmmm. How many 1 seeds from the PAC 12 and Big Can’t Count past Ten? (The answer = 8). And no titles for either of those entire conferences since 1997 (PAC 12) and 2001 (Big 10).

    Ouch.
    Look, I'm very grateful for the program. A thousand praises.
    But it is what it is. Seven teams had multiple #1 seeds in that time frame. And all but two won a national title. No one had more #1 seeds than us. That is evidence for the argument that GU is overrated. I don't like that argument. So I say "ouch."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    Look, I'm very grateful for the program. A thousand praises.
    But it is what it is. Seven teams had multiple #1 seeds in that time frame. And all but two won a national title. No one had more #1 seeds than us. That is evidence for the argument that GU is overrated. I don't like that argument. So I say "ouch."
    You must be a new fan. Anyone that has been around since the 80s or earlier would have never believe that we ever would have one of the top 5 recruiting classes and be a number one seed let alone multiple times. We have one of the longest consecutive sweet 16 streaks. These are not signs of being over-rated. We have been to the National Championship game twice in 4 tournaments with 2020 being one of best teams and the tournament not being held. You have to win 5 games in the tournament to get to the championship game. That is not being over-rated. Enjoy the ride because once it is over, we probably will never see anything like it again.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Fat City
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZag View Post
    You must be a new fan. Anyone that has been around since the 80s or earlier would have never believe that we ever would have one of the top 5 recruiting classes and be a number one seed let alone multiple times. We have one of the longest consecutive sweet 16 streaks. These are not signs of being over-rated. We have been to the National Championship game twice in 4 tournaments with 2020 being one of best teams and the tournament not being held. You have to win 5 games in the tournament to get to the championship game. That is not being over-rated. Enjoy the ride because once it is over, we probably will never see anything like it again.
    I'm new compared to some. Old compared to others. Been following the team since I enrolled in 2002 (so my whole adult life). I'm not saying the program is bad or unimpressive in any way really. Just that they underperformed their seed compared to all of the other teams named in OP.

    eta: so what if I was a new fan anyway. Long-tenured loyalty to a sports team is a dumb point of pride.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,295

    Default

    As the resident curmudgeon, I’m astonished that anyone — old, new, indifferent fan — can find that #1 seed performance anything but magnificent. Out.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    West Richland, WA
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Absolutely everything Zagville is magnificent. Even for a 1961 grad, roommate of Jean Claude Lefebre, SID to national scoring champ Frank Burgess, faithful, loyal and grateful GU fan whose golden years have been blessed every winter with great hoops and proud performances by our team. Keep the TV contract I hope.
    Youth is wonderful but remember many are called and few are chosen. How many "little" Jesuit or otherwise small schools have the history of the Zags. We have much to be thankful for so be patient we will have that National Champ soon. Have faith.
    Go Zags

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    9,039

    Default

    When you earn a #1 seed it is a great accomplishment. Just because you are a #1 seed doesn't mean you are handed the championship trophy -- you still need to earn it ---- you could be one injury, a couple of phantom foul calls or have a hot team standing in the way of a title.

    As a school that has not been blessed with a top 20 recruiting class every year -- the Zags have done great with the hands they have been dealt/players who have donned the uniform-- there have been posts in the past that mathematically prove that Gonzaga does not underperform in the dance and is therefore not overrated.

    If you can't even get jazz to buy into your overrated theory then you really need to rethink your argument.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BurgessEraZag View Post
    Absolutely everything Zagville is magnificent. Even for a 1961 grad, roommate of Jean Claude Lefebre, SID to national scoring champ Frank Burgess, faithful, loyal and grateful GU fan whose golden years have been blessed every winter with great hoops and proud performances by our team. Keep the TV contract I hope.
    Youth is wonderful but remember many are called and few are chosen. How many "little" Jesuit or otherwise small schools have the history of the Zags. We have much to be thankful for so be patient we will have that National Champ soon. Have faith.
    Go Zags
    I’d say the Saint Joseph’s College Hawks are closest long term. USF had golden years, as did Marquette.

    https://www.ajcunet.edu/institutions

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    I'm new compared to some. Old compared to others. Been following the team since I enrolled in 2002 (so my whole adult life). I'm not saying the program is bad or unimpressive in any way really. Just that they underperformed their seed compared to all of the other teams named in OP.

    eta: so what if I was a new fan anyway. Long-tenured loyalty to a sports team is a dumb point of pride.
    #1 seeds win the tourney something like 64% of the time, with 4 #1 seeds that means each has only about a 16% chance of being champion each year entering the tourney. So even making the championship game twice meets, or probably exceeds how a #1 seed is expected to perform.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    806

    Default

    Someone in the past few years did a great post outlining (and if memory serves) debunking the myth that GU underperforms their seeds. Was insightful to read.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Above May Valley, WA
    Posts
    478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    eta: so what if I was a new fan anyway. Long-tenured loyalty to a sports team is a dumb point of pride.
    As an alum who has seen at least one game live for each of the past 32 years, despite living in the Puget Sound area that entire time; I have great respect for those who have followed Gonzaga for a longer period.

    I respectfully disagree that my pride is dumb.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Fat City
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Club Prez View Post
    As an alum who has seen at least one game live for each of the past 32 years, despite living in the Puget Sound area that entire time; I have great respect for those who have followed Gonzaga for a longer period.

    I respectfully disagree that my pride is dumb.
    Yeah. Sorry. I shouldn't've said that. It wasn't nice.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Fat City
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedster View Post
    Someone in the past few years did a great post outlining (and if memory serves) debunking the myth that GU underperforms their seeds. Was insightful to read.
    I remember that. And I agree with the analysis.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Fat City
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    When you earn a #1 seed it is a great accomplishment. Just because you are a #1 seed doesn't mean you are handed the championship trophy -- you still need to earn it ---- you could be one injury, a couple of phantom foul calls or have a hot team standing in the way of a title.

    As a school that has not been blessed with a top 20 recruiting class every year -- the Zags have done great with the hands they have been dealt/players who have donned the uniform-- there have been posts in the past that mathematically prove that Gonzaga does not underperform in the dance and is therefore not overrated.

    If you can't even get jazz to buy into your overrated theory then you really need to rethink your argument.
    I'm not saying GU is overrated. I'm saying 4 one seeds with no chip is evidence for the argument that we are overrated (when 5 of the 7 shown teams with multiple #1 seeds had won a chip). Therefore, I didn't like seeing it.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bainbridge Island
    Posts
    1,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    I'm not saying GU is overrated. I'm saying 4 one seeds with no chip is evidence for the argument that we are overrated (when 5 of the 7 shown teams with multiple #1 seeds had won a chip). Therefore, I didn't like seeing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    Look, I'm very grateful for the program. A thousand praises.
    But it is what it is. Seven teams had multiple #1 seeds in that time frame. And all but two won a national title. No one had more #1 seeds than us. That is evidence for the argument that GU is overrated. I don't like that argument. So I say "ouch."
    The trouble is this. By your reckoning, by definition, every year at least 3 of the 4 number 1 seeds are “overrated” simply by virtue of not having won the title.

    Moreover, GU has advanced to the title game both times it made the Final Four—and in doing so, presumably advanced further than at least two other “overrated” underperformers by your metric.

    Moreover both times, again by your reckoning, Gonzaga’s “over-ratedness,” for lack of a better term, was as thin as is theoretically possible: rated (at best) 1 and finishing 2 out of 357 teams in Division I for the year. 1/357th is equal to .0028%. So at BEST (assuming Gonzaga was the top rated 1 seed every year—which in fact wasn’t true all four years), Gonzaga’s “underperformance” as a 1 seed sees the Zags coming up short by a whopping not even three tenths of a percent.

    If that is underperformance, I hope I underperform that way when I come up “short” in life. And it is certainly not something—if it were true—that makes me conjure the word “ouch.”

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    I'm not saying GU is overrated. I'm saying 4 one seeds with no chip is evidence for the argument that we are overrated (when 5 of the 7 shown teams with multiple #1 seeds had won a chip). Therefore, I didn't like seeing it.
    Word salad with a back door out of an unwinnable argument. Getting a no 1 seed and not winning the whole thing means little. I'd rather a no 1 seed ( and ranked no 1) any day. Doesn't mean we'll win the 6 tournament games but it does mean there's been much achievement in the past 20 years. I ok with it. Hate to lose but love the seeding and the ranking. lol maybe it'd be more appreciated if you were here in the 60's
    and the 70's and 80's plus a good portion of the nineties.

    I remember playing with Chuck Thomas and Gary Leachman back then just for fun........it was just a different world. We had no expectations. But the games and practices were hard work. The Big Sky was young..... In the old Kennedy Pavilion . Older Zags remembrances. But these days, we've climbed a ladder nobody thought we would or could. I rejoice in our rankings and seedings. It means we're really good year in and year out. we just don't have a title ( yet). This is just crazy stuff! No offense to Grand Valley Zag.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    I'm new compared to some. Old compared to others. Been following the team since I enrolled in 2002 (so my whole adult life). I'm not saying the program is bad or unimpressive in any way really. Just that they underperformed their seed compared to all of the other teams named in OP.

    eta: so what if I was a new fan anyway. Long-tenured loyalty to a sports team is a dumb point of pride.
    You’re really coming off as a self absorbed meat head, completely focused on the destination instead of the journey. I see that type of fan everyday, that of the Dallas Cowboys.

    Our teams have represented my alma mater with skill, class, and an appreciation for their fans unmatched by any other team I can think of. They do great things within the local community without seeking acclaim.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    You’re really coming off as a self absorbed meat head, completely focused on the destination instead of the journey. I see that type of fan everyday, that of the Dallas Cowboys.

    Our teams have represented my alma mater with skill, class, and an appreciation for their fans unmatched by any other team I can think of. They do great things within the local community without seeking acclaim.
    Speaking of the Star, judging by Hard Knocks, while Zeke Elliott seems a great teammate, he’s definitely not a phi Beta kappa.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,474

    Default

    Last decade — record in Final Four games of previously referenced 1 seeds.

    Conference of Champions —. 0 wins, 2 losses. 0.000 winning percentage
    Big Can’t Count Past 10 — 3 wins, 7 losses. 0.300 winning percentage.

    West Coast Conference (Zags) — 2 wins, 2 losses. 0.500 winning percentage

    And here we have “fans” (or a “fan”) doing their best Marlon Brando “Apocalypse Now” imitation vis a vis GU ….
    “The horror … the horror”

    https://youtu.be/VKcAYMb5uk4

    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

    Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    984

    Default

    I love when Jazz is like woah, too far. And it's obviously true.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    I love when Jazz is like woah, too far. And it's obviously true.
    This is beyond far, 08.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,558

    Default

    Jazz, if I want to chat with a Phi Beta Kappa, I'll talk to you. If I want a guy that can throw it 60 yards on a rope......

    PS - I am a big fan of whoever "America's Team" is playing. I was never a fan, even when they were good (which I don't think they have been this century). I guess that Jimmy Johnson was a little bit better "football guy" than Jerry Jones. Although I don't think that you can't argue with Jerry's business acumen. He is making bank although his teams continue to be mediocre.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •