Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Credible Coverage Suggesting BYU getting another run at BIGXII

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    I don't think this has been shared.

https://www.deseret.com/platform/amp...-leaves-big-12

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Cliffs Notes: $1MM get's them out immediately, $500K gets them out in 12 months. So basically, nothing.

If BYU basketball is still in the WCC this year, then Gonzaga needs to make sure they don't slip away with a conference title. I want them out empty-handed. You all can continue to live in awe of the analytics, but if they escape with a title, we'll never hear the end of how they were always too good for the conference, and it will never matter that we won the overwhelming majority of the titles they were eligible to win. It is in BYU's nature to overvalue the importance of their program, and a lone WCC title will be the validation they rest it all upon.

Enjoy BIGXII, they're your problem now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

They're your "problem" now? Your post comes across as butt hurt. BYU hasn't been a "problem" in the WCC.

BYU is one of the few programs in the WCC that cares. I only wish that the other WCC programs would try to compete. Schools like Pepperdine have lied for years that they plan to build a new arena and up the ante. They never do anything.

It has been Gonzaga, Saint Mary's, and BYU for too long. Losing BYU will hurt. We'll see how the WCC responds and if they add a school like Seattle, Denver, or Grand Canyon.

Done deal. BYU to play in the WCC for the 2021/2022 and 2022/2023 seasons.

https://byucougars.com/story/athleti...-12-conference

Quote Originally Posted by Tetonka Test View Post
    They're your "problem" now? Your post comes across as butt hurt. BYU hasn't been a "problem" in the WCC.

BYU is one of the few programs in the WCC that cares. I only wish that the other WCC programs would try to compete. Schools like Pepperdine have lied for years that they plan to build a new arena and up the ante. They never do anything.

It has been Gonzaga, Saint Mary's, and BYU for too long. Losing BYU will hurt. We'll see how the WCC responds and if they add a school like Seattle, Denver, or Grand Canyon.
    I personally donít get the anti-BYU bent of a couple of posters around here. They are vocal and their opinions are well known but by no means representative of most.

I am familiar with the the BYU haters from the MWC from my grad school years at Wyoming and understand some of the BYU desire to leave that environment. There was flat out hatred there.
    I think the level of animosity is a lot lower in the WCC.

I am going to miss the BYU games. Those were 2-3 games every year that actually made me stay awake to watch here on the East Coast. I donít think I was the only East Coast eyeballs on those games either. Those games get GU attention in a good way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bayÖ small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I personally donít get the anti-BYU bent of a couple of posters around here. They are vocal and their opinions are well known but by no means representative of most.

I am familiar with the the BYU haters from the MWC from my grad school years at Wyoming and understand some of the BYU desire to leave that environment. There was flat out hatred there.
    I think the level of animosity is a lot lower in the WCC.

I am going to miss the BYU games. Those were 2-3 games every year that actually made me stay awake to watch here on the East Coast. I donít think I was the only East Coast eyeballs on those games either. Those games get GU attention in a good way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah the vitriol directed towards BYU by some posters is ridiculous and (at least in terms of college hoops) pretty ignorant of the positives that BYU brought to the WCC. Hopefully long-term home & home can be setup as I would hate to lose this game from the schedule in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetonka Test View Post

No one has explained what BYU brings in basketball. I also don’t understand why we want Seattle U, Grand Canyon, or Denver. Why are we, as a fan base, compelled by teams that don’t produce on the court?
    Go Zags!!!

Zags lost two games per year that helped them in NET rankings/RPI/BPI/whatever other metric you want to look at. This will only do 2 things... it will make it harder to get a 1 seed (not saying impossible but it will make it harder on a statistical level)... it will also give more ammunition to the haters out there who already think the Zags play nobody. Not happy that they are leaving.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    No one has explained what BYU brings in basketball.
    Quad 1 wins for the Zags.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Eyeballs and interest to the WCC (given the size of their fan base)

The important thing is to take a deep breath and make a decision to add one team that can help fill the void the loss of BYU after the next two seasons or evaluate other options. This will be interesting because it will test the resolve of Gonzaga of how it wants to approach the next ten years and retain its championship caliber pedigree. In my opinion, the WCC shouldn’t select Seattle U, Denver, GCU because it won’t help Gonzaga with its ability to obtain a number 1 seed in the future. The next few weeks should be interesting waiting for the WCC and Gonzaga’s response.

Zags lost two games per year that helped them in NET rankings/RPI/BPI/whatever other metric you want to look at. This will only do 2 things... it will make it harder to get a 1 seed (not saying impossible but it will make it harder on a statistical level)... it will also give more ammunition to the haters out there who already think the Zags play nobody. Not happy that they are leaving.
    This is why the Zags need to get out...nobody coming into the conference is going to be able to replace BYU in the metrics. The league will be definitively worse and as a result the Zags suffer. Go to the MWC and bring St. Mary's in tow; that would certainly make the MWC the top non-P6 conference in the land. Go begging hat in hand to the B12 or Big East. Do something; just don't settle for stagnation and eventual decline.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    The important thing is to take a deep breath and make a decision to add one team that can help fill the void the loss of BYU after the next two seasons or evaluate other options. This will be interesting because it will test the resolve of Gonzaga of how it wants to approach the next ten years and retain its championship caliber pedigree. In my opinion, the WCC shouldn’t select Seattle U, Denver, GCU because it won’t help Gonzaga with its ability to obtain a number 1 seed in the future. The next few weeks should be interesting waiting for the WCC and Gonzaga’s response.
    Who could the WCC possibly get that that wouldn't be empirically worse than BYU? No one.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    This is why the Zags need to get out...nobody coming into the conference is going to be able to replace BYU in the metrics. The league will be definitively worse and as a result the Zags suffer. Go to the MWC and bring St. Mary's in tow; that would certainly make the MWC the top non-P6 conference in the land. Go begging hat in hand to the B12 or Big East. Do something; just don't settle for stagnation and eventual decline.
    Leave SMC. Facilities and budget are poor, and fan base is quite small - not good for tv. When Randy leaves I expect mediocrity, if not before.

Default Credible Coverage Suggesting BYU getting another run at BIGXII

For the first time, I really think Gonzaga needs to seriously explore a new conference. The problem is there really isnít a great fit.

The P12, as a member without football, would be best but that is highly unlikely on both sides. The Big East is the best fit philosophically but not geographically. Is the MWC really a big enough difference, financially in particular, to make sense?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr Vulture; 09-10-2021 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    For the first time, I really think Gonzaga really needs to seriously explore a new conference. The problem is there really isn’t a great fit.

The P12, as a member without football, would be best but that is highly unlikely on both sides. The Big East is the best fit philosophically but not geographically. Is the MWC really a big enough difference, financially in particular, to make sense?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    What I don't get is why wouldn't the B12 take the Zags as a non-football member? I'm sure they'd be able to keep those revenues separate and unavailable to Gonzaga and the the Zags would have no issue with that. Bring along Wichita St as the other non-football school.

BYU wasn't moving the needle regarding whether we "play anybody" in the national narrative.

We can, and already do accomplish this in the non-conference.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Eyeballs and interest to the WCC (given the size of their fan base)
    Yes, they have a massive, dedicated fanbase that pays money to see a mediocre product. That will be missed.
    Go Zags!!!

Is there any precedent for an independent (non-conference affiliated) basketball program? Notre Dame and BYU did it in football. Scheduling during Jan and Feb would be hard but we could work around it. Avoid playing sub-250 programs altogether and build a strong NET.

Thoughts?

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    Is there any precedent for an independent (non-conference affiliated) basketball program? Notre Dame and BYU did it in football. Scheduling during Jan and Feb would be hard but we could work around it. Avoid playing sub-250 programs altogether and build a strong NET.

Thoughts?

ZZ
    NCAA rules say only football teams may be considered independent; every other sport is tied to the same conference (unless the conference doesn't have that particular sport).

I think whatever changes happen it will likely include Memphis or Wichita State. Memphis may want to go to the MWC since they just got pummeled with UCF and Ciinci leaving. Gonzaga would be invited as a non football member. Wichita State could be packaged with Gonzaga to the Big East or Wichita State goes to the WCC since they are basketball only. BYU offered philosophical alignment in the WCC. I find that finding another member with that same philosophical alignment will be impossible (one that offers the same caliber competition/following) at this point.

BYU leaving is definitely good for BYU athletics and football (the driver) in particular. In no way is their departure good for the WCC or GU. We lose two quality games per year, one of which is at a large venue with a hostile fan base. All of these are positives for the development of our team. BYU too is an international brand which gave GU increased exposure. Heck, they even would broadcast the most of the WCC tournament games that were not on network/cable TV. They seemed to be the only other member of the WCC willing to invest in athletics.

It is too bad that Pacific's admission to the WCC was not tied to BYU's fate. If they're in, you're in. But if they leave, you have to go too!

The Big XII is a great move for their football program. Worst case scenario is that the Big XII implodes and BYU goes back to being an FBS Independent. There is no downside for their football team. The men's basketball team will probably finish with more losses than they experienced in the WCC, but with a better opportunity to make the big dance. Again, no downside. Football and men's basketball are the only two entities in college athletics that have a chance at being profitable and thus to fund the rest of the athletic programs. Like everything else in life: A - follow the money and B - do what is in your best interest.

BYU has formally accepted an invitation to the BIG XII and is expected to join the league for the 2023-2024 academic year.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...in-conference/
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    BYU has formally accepted an invitation to the BIG XII and is expected to join the league for the 2023-2024 academic year.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...in-conference/
    My most sincere congratulations and best wishes to BYU...... now that they are finally in a P5 Conference worthy of their athletic program... I would even be willing to hold the door open for them so that they can make a classy and graceful exit.....

Their fans must be ecstatic and relieved .
    Last edited by bartruff1; 09-10-2021 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Southernblueblood View Post
    So what? That's what's great about the big12 finishing 4th still gets you dancing. You can finish 7th and probably still go dancing. WCC you have to schedule has hard as possible in OOC games and then you can't lose to 50% of the conference or its a death sentence.
    So you are SAYING, it is a smart move, cuz BYU has no chance of 'dancing' in the WCC but can FAIL (placing 6-8th) in the Big-12 and go dancing! Quite an endorsement! IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Southernblueblood View Post
    So what? That's what's great about the big12 finishing 4th still gets you dancing. You can finish 7th and probably still go dancing. WCC you have to schedule has hard as possible in OOC games and then you can't lose to 50% of the conference or its a death sentence.
    yep

The Big 12 has placed a nation-high 70 percent of its teams in the 2021 NCAA Division I Menís Basketball Championship. The Conference has seven selections for the sixth time in the last 11 tournaments, including five seasons in the past seven years the event was conducted.
    https://www.bcsnn.com/basketball/340...caa-tournament