Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Credible Coverage Suggesting BYU getting another run at BIGXII

The Big 12, even with the loss of Oklahoma and Texas, is still a bad ass hoops conference.

Boy, I would love for the Zags to join the Big 12 in basketball. I could attend several road games a year, all within a 3 hour drive.

WCC should waive the exit fee and let them join the 12 this year..... I hope they win every Conference title in the 12..... but god forbid they win the WCC Basketball Conference or Tournament this year...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    WCC should waive the exit fee and let them join the 12 this year..... I hope they win every Conference title in the 12..... but god forbid they win the WCC Basketball Conference or Tournament this year...
    BYU fans hope to continue playing Gonzaga every year. It's a pleasure mixing it up with Gonzaga. I've rooted for the Zags well before they played BYU.

Go Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by ArchaeaBYU View Post
    BYU fans hope to continue playing Gonzaga every year. It's a pleasure mixing it up with Gonzaga. I've rooted for the Zags well before they played BYU.

Go Zags!
    I doubt that will happen....but they will have a couple dozen really good games against very good teams in the Big 12.....

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    The Big 12, even with the loss of Oklahoma and Texas, is still a bad ass hoops conference.

Boy, I would love for the Zags to join the Big 12 in basketball. I could attend several road games a year, all within a 3 hour drive.
    I read in the last 8 seasons the big 12 has finished 1st 6 times and 2nd twice on KenPom. I donít think they will drop bringing in these 4 schools.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    SMC fan here. The number one goal these next two seasons is to make sure BYU never wins any part of a WCC title in menís basketball. If we canít keep them from it, we trust you will. However they fare in the Big 12, we need it on the record that they never won a WCC menís basketball title.

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow06 View Post
    SMC fan here. The number one goal these next two seasons is to make sure BYU never wins any part of a WCC title in men’s basketball. If we can’t keep them from it, we trust you will. However they fare in the Big 12, we need it on the record that they never won a WCC men’s basketball title.
    Agreed
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

I am not mad at BYU. Being independent in football would have continued to be more difficult for BYU. Like it or not we need BYU for the next two seasons so GU can plan its next move.

Think about it: 2 FF"s in the past 4 years and it looks like another coming up. Who does that from a small school league in an out of the way smaller school in a smaller city? Who does that??? Big East Western Division, Mountain West? Pac 12 north? It's seemingly inevitable we'll be asked...... and feelers are out from leagues outside the WCC. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the WCC prior to BYU's departure. We may be headed to the WCC or staying put.

It just strikes me as inevitable we go somewhere. or is it? History in unfolding before us..........

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    We may be headed to the WCC or staying put.

It just strikes me as inevitable we go somewhere. or is it? History in unfolding before us..........
    Abe what on earth? Headed to the WCC? Weíre already there. Staying put? How is that not the same thing?

Speak English Doc......

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    Abe what on earth? Headed to the WCC? We’re already there. Staying put? How is that not the same thing?

Speak English Doc......
    I meant after the search we may be headed back to the WCC. I do know we are in WCC now. Awkwardly stated.......

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    What I don't get is why wouldn't the B12 take the Zags as a non-football member? I'm sure they'd be able to keep those revenues separate and unavailable to Gonzaga and the the Zags would have no issue with that. Bring along Wichita St as the other non-football school.

I for one would love an invite to the B12 or BE but...traveling expenses would be a strong consideration for not inviting GU along with other reasons...

Wichita State is already in a Bball only conference the Big East and why would they want to move to the B12, where their travel expenses would only go up?

I believe in win-win scenarios, so what is the win for the B12 by adding GU? Can you imagine traveling from Orlando too Spokane or from Spokane to Orlando once or twice a year or too and from Houston?

So let's say the B12 does invite GU as a Bball only member, where do all the now-revenue sports play? Will the WCC keep them? If so, WHY?

The Big East would be another coordination nightmare with travel expenses.

There is only one viable conference that would take GU and that would be the MWC and most on here feel that would be a "step-down" move from the WCC...personally, I think now that BYU will be moving on in the 2022-2023 season, that "IF" the WCC tries to add another lower their school, GU should consider moving to the MWC.

Face it, we picked the wrong geographical team for whom to root...if only GU was located a few states down and several to the east, then the possibilities would be so much better...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I for one would love an invite to the B12 or BE but...traveling expenses would be a strong consideration for not inviting GU along with other reasons...

Wichita State is already in a Bball only conference the Big East and why would they want to move to the B12, where their travel expenses would only go up?

I believe in win-win scenarios, so what is the win for the B12 by adding GU? Can you imagine traveling from Orlando too Spokane or from Spokane to Orlando once or twice a year or too and from Houston?

So let's say the B12 does invite GU as a Bball only member, where do all the now-revenue sports play? Will the WCC keep them? If so, WHY?

The Big East would be another coordination nightmare with travel expenses.

There is only one viable conference that would take GU and that would be the MWC and most on here feel that would be a "step-down" move from the WCC...personally, I think now that BYU will be moving on in the 2022-2023 season, that "IF" the WCC tries to add another lower their school, GU should consider moving to the MWC.

Face it, we picked the wrong geographical team for whom to root...if only GU was located a few states down and several to the east, then the possibilities would be so much better...
    Well for one Wichita St is in the AAC, not the Big East. The Shockers are located smack-dab in the middle of the Big 12 footprint so they'd fit right in, travel-wise. As far as the Zags go if you are going strictly by airline miles would be noticeably less, particularly if they were to split the conference into geographic divisions. The Big East would definitely be more of a logistical headache, with most of the schools being in the eastern US.

As far as the MWC goes, people say that it would be a downgrade or a minimal upgrade, at best. I don't quite agree with that sentiment myself, as simply adding the Zags would vault the MWC to at or near the top of the non-P6 bball conferences in terms of Kenpom strength. If Wichita St was added as well that would definitely be the case.

Vulnerable moment for GU. Few is distracted and Roth is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I read in the last 8 seasons the big 12 has finished 1st 6 times and 2nd twice on KenPom. I don’t think they will drop bringing in these 4 schools.
    If Jamie Dixon can finally get TCU turned around, that will add one more heavyweight to the Big 12 mix. I was surprised to read they have less than 10,000 undergrads. That school is backed by BIG money, and their facilities are first rate.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Definitely not good timing - wish Roth had stuck around through this round of alignment.

Well for one Wichita St is in the AAC, not the Big East. The Shockers are located smack-dab in the middle of the Big 12 footprint so they'd fit right in, travel-wise. As far as the Zags go if you are going strictly by airline miles would be noticeably less, particularly if they were to split the conference into geographic divisions. The Big East would definitely be more of a logistical headache, with most of the schools being in the eastern US.

As far as the MWC goes, people say that it would be a downgrade or a minimal upgrade, at best. I don't quite agree with that sentiment myself, as simply adding the Zags would vault the MWC to at or near the top of the non-P6 bball conferences in terms of Kenpom strength. If Wichita St was added as well that would definitely be the case.
    You are absolutely right...WSU is in the AAC and not the Big East...for some reason thought they did go there...anyway...

You didn't answer the other questions...and travel expenses would be much higher, even if the B12 did break down into divisions...I think more than the benefit of adding GU...

It would be somewhat of a win for GU but not for the B12...

There is a zero chance WSU ever joins the Big 12 if Kansas is still in. Gonzaga is at a critical moment where we have enough basketball juice to get a better situation, but none really fit geographically. Obviously the MW is a better basketball conference than the WCC, but I would love to go independent or join the Big East. I think Big East could be worth the squeeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    There is a zero chance WSU ever joins the Big 12 if Kansas is still in. Gonzaga is at a critical moment where we have enough basketball juice to get a better situation, but none really fit geographically. Obviously the MW is a better basketball conference than the WCC, but I would love to go independent or join the Big East. I think Big East could be worth the squeeze.
    I don't think there is any way whatsoever that going independent works.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    I’m not sure the MW is a better basketball conference. Even without GU and BYU the WCC still had 6 of the other 8 teams in KenPom’s top 150, with only Portland over 200 at 321. The MW had 5 teams in the top 150 and 6 outside the top 150, including UNM at 294, Air Force at 332, and San Jose St at 333. At best it’s a lateral move but GU would go from running the WCC full of other small religious private schools to the MW where GU would be the only private catholic school in a conference full of large state universities who care more about football. GU would not be calling the shots anymore. I think it’s Big East or bust, I just don’t know how that works being so far removed from those schools. No other team out west fits in the Big East. No more conference tourney in Vegas, probably going all the way to NYC.

All of these Pac 12 teams fly into Spokane to play WSU. Could be cool if we got UCLA at home in Feb., Then next Feb. GU plays UCLA when on the LA road trip for LMU, Pepp games.

Lots of moving parts though and the big conferences are stacking up their conference games so that plays against us.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    As is Daniels.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post

But, without the money they get from Texas and OU how long will that last? We are seeing a move from the P5 to a P4 with the Big 12 being the best of the rest.

The addition of Gonzaga to the MWC would make us a 2 bid team easily, possible more. My school, SDSU, has been strong for the last 16 years and have made serious investments to its BB program including a $14M practice facility. While ULNV has been down, Reno, Boise and CSU have been trending up. Hopefully, the recent coaching hires at UNLV and UNM will get them back on tract. Also, SJSU hired Tim Miles which is another good hire if he has the energy to rebuild a program still. OK, the latter is a bit of a leap of faith, though SJSU in right there in Silicon Valley so they should have money. Adding Gonzaga in BB would make us very close to the Pac12 when it comes to BB, hell we could actually be better. UCLA added Cronin and I think he will do well there if they give him some time. USC recruits well but does not produce as well as they recruit. Arizona has been hurt with their violations and the dismissal of Sean Miller. Oregon, again they recruit well but don't get the return on their investment.

For me, I'd love to have you in our conference and I think it could benefit you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AztecDen View Post
    The addition of Gonzaga to the MWC would make us a 2 bid team easily, possible more. My school, SDSU, has been strong for the last 16 years and have made serious investments to its BB program including a $14M practice facility. While ULNV has been down, Reno, Boise and CSU have been trending up. Hopefully, the recent coaching hires at UNLV and UNM will get them back on tract. Also, SJSU hired Tim Miles which is another good hire if he has the energy to rebuild a program still. OK, the latter is a bit of a leap of faith, though SJSU in right there in Silicon Valley so they should have money. Adding Gonzaga in BB would make us very close to the Pac12 when it comes to BB, hell we could actually be better. UCLA added Cronin and I think he will do well there if they give him some time. USC recruits well but does not produce as well as they recruit. Arizona has been hurt with their violations and the dismissal of Sean Miller. Oregon, again they recruit well but don't get the return on their investment.

For me, I'd love to have you in our conference and I think it could benefit you as well.
    Aztec, I agree with you on many points, but the Pac-12 gets 4-6 teams in every year because they are the Pac-12 (aka P-5/6) and the NCAA needs to redistribute the money accordingly. It is not always merit based.