Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Credible Coverage Suggesting BYU getting another run at BIGXII

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    If BYU moves than I would expect Gonzaga to explore its options again. We are at a different stage in our evolution and times have changed to where we have really outgrown the conference and all that is needed is a catalyst to spark a potential move. If we exclude BYU to determine the adjusted net rankings without them I am curious if that new figure is better than the MWC? Do we know how much notice BYU needs to give to the WCC for non football sports? The best option would be the Pac 10. I just think that conference would be snooty about things because it would ruin their story and tradition of their type of schools. Hopefully some chatter comes out soon.
    Unfortunately the Pac12 put a kibosh on future expansion in the short term; I believe a statement was released by the conference recently.

Same old BS.....waiting for Gonzaga to leave the WCC is like waiting for Godot....hint.....Godot never shows...

If Gonzaga wants to compete in Division 1 with a majority of its athletic teams.....it has no other place to go....Gonzaga needs the WCC more than the WCC needs Gonzaga.....

BYU has nothing in common with the other members of the WCC...it has no respect for the WCC.... and it has no loyalty to the WCC.... some.... if not a majority...... of it's fans refer to the WCC as a church league with high school gyms ....it is a embarrassment that the other Utah schools never let them forget...it will leave as soon as it has a viable alternative....

The sooner the better and I hope the door hits them in the azz on their way out..

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Same old BS.....waiting for Gonzaga to leave the WCC is like waiting for Godot....hint.....Godot never shows...

If Gonzaga wants to compete in Division 1 with a majority of its athletic teams.....it has no other place to go....Gonzaga needs the WCC more than the WCC needs Gonzaga.....
    BYU has nothing in common with the other members of the WCC...it has no respect for the WCC.... and it has no loyalty to the WCC.... some.... if not a majority...... of it's fans refer to the WCC as a church league with high school gyms ....it is a embarrassment that the other Utah schools never let them forget...it will leave as soon as it has a viable alternative....

The sooner the better and I hope the door hits them in the azz on their way out..
    Yes, youíve made these statements many times. I think most of us disagree. Stating we need the WCC more than it needs us is ludicrous. BYU - no respect for the WCC. Okay, whatever. Few and Roth have a better relationship with BYU than GU has with most of the teams in the WCC. In fact, I think itís the closest connection.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Yes, youíve made these statements many times. I think most of us disagree. Stating we need the WCC more than it needs us is ludicrous. BYU - no respect for the WCC. Okay, whatever. Few and Roth have a better relationship with BYU than GU has with most of the teams in the WCC. In fact, I think itís the closest connection.
    I am not responsible for what other people think...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I am not responsible for what other people think...
    When you make a statement as fact, as you did with BYU, which is directly at odds with the GU athletic administration’s position, it ought to make you pause and reflect.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    When you make a statement as fact, as you did with BYU, which is directly at odds with the GU athletic administration’s position, it ought to make you pause and reflect.
    I am only offering my opinion.... I am not responsible for whatever the GU Athletic Administrations opinions are.....or for that matter what the Pope's opinions are.....

I am only responsible for my own opinions......have a nice day.....

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    It is going to be amazing to watch BYU - a university with a above average football team and a good (not great) basketball program - move on to bigger and better things, while one of the biggest college basketball programs/brands in the land will still be relegated to the WCC.
    Let us look forward to one of the proposals: Kansas, Kan. St, Iowa State, Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, Okla St, West Virginia; Now add Univ of Houston, Univ. of Cinn., UCF and BYU........ I'm guessing it jumps to the #1 Conference in Basketball....... Cougars might compete better in football, but they would be hard pressed to crack the top four in Bball, IMO .

BYU will be able to use the Big 12 to help with recruiting....... should be able to grab some additional higher profile recruits with the conference attraction.

There has got to be some rumors or hints floating around out there regarding Gonzaga's plan going forward here, one way or another? If not actively lobbying for a change in conference membership, there has to at least be discussions around some creative scheduling? Perhaps keeping a home & home series with BYU going and picking up another non-con opponent during the conference season a la how there used to be a Memphis series way back? Reducing the conference schedule to 14 games & preventing another dreg from joining (Seattle or Denver)?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    BYU will be able to use the Big 12 to help with recruiting....... should be able to grab some additional higher profile recruits with the conference attraction.
    Not sure about that. Don't you think their recruiting base will be limited no matter the conference? The majority of their athletes are LDS.

Even since Pope has become their head coach, they are recruiting more and more non-lds players
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Not sure about that. Don't you think their recruiting base will be limited no matter the conference? The majority of their athletes are LDS.
    It might help them with a limited number of LDS recruits who might otherwise choose a PAC-12 or BIG XII school for the competition. That is probably a small number of players.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_eliZAG View Post
    Even since Pope has become their head coach, they are recruiting more and more non-lds players
    Good luck with that, long term. Approximately 97% of students at BYU are LDS and those that aren't are required to live by a strict honor code. Granted, the athletic department doesn't require athletes to be LDS, but most athletes are going to choose different options that aren't nearly as restrictive.

P.S.

BYU has been remarkably successful despite the limitations on their recruiting base.

P.P.S.

I hope BYU sticks with their code. It's refreshing to see kids with moral foundations.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo 1966 View Post
    Let us look forward to one of the proposals: Kansas, Kan. St, Iowa State, Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, Okla St, West Virginia; Now add Univ of Houston, Univ. of Cinn., UCF and BYU........ I'm guessing it jumps to the #1 Conference in Basketball....... Cougars might compete better in football, but they would be hard pressed to crack the top four in Bball, IMO .

So what? That's what's great about the big12 finishing 4th still gets you dancing. You can finish 7th and probably still go dancing. WCC you have to schedule has hard as possible in OOC games and then you can't lose to 50% of the conference or its a death sentence.

There has got to be some rumors or hints floating around out there regarding Gonzaga's plan going forward here, one way or another? If not actively lobbying for a change in conference membership, there has to at least be discussions around some creative scheduling? Perhaps keeping a home & home series with BYU going and picking up another non-con opponent during the conference season a la how there used to be a Memphis series way back? Reducing the conference schedule to 14 games & preventing another dreg from joining (Seattle or Denver)?
    having a home and home with the zags would be awesome. I'd include st mary's as well. the nice thing about basketball you can keep good rivalries going. Not that the Zags are really a rival because it's never been really balanced in outcomes.

The Big XII may approve the four new members as early as tomorrow.

Big 12 presidents at a meeting Friday will "rubber stamp" invitations to join the conference to BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF, sources told CBS Sports on Wednesday. While the the meeting has been planned for some time, the exact actions to be taken at it had not previously been clear.

It has become widely known that the Big 12 settled on those four schools as a means of replenishing the conference following the losses of Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC. Three of those programs made notable advancements this week as they plan to migrate to the Big 12.
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ucf-on-friday/
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

Is there any possibility that the BIG12 also invites Gonzaga? W

Quote Originally Posted by Tetonka Test View Post
    Is there any possibility that the BIG12 also invites Gonzaga? W
    0%

0%
    so you're saying there's a chance.........

I'm with you but I would never say never so I will revise your estimate to 0.00001%

Quote Originally Posted by spike_jr View Post
    so you're saying there's a chance.........

I'm with you but I would never say never so I will revise your estimate to 0.00001%
    Don't get me wrong - I wish the Zags could be taken on as a non-football member. Heck, Baylor proves that a private religious school with relatively small enrollment (16k) can thrive in the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by spike_jr View Post
    so you're saying there's a chance
    Come on man.... you gotta throw a GIF like this in when you post that line.

"And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Come on man.... you gotta throw a GIF like this in when you post that line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bayÖ small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Don't get me wrong - I wish the Zags could be taken on as a non-football member. Heck, Baylor proves that a private religious school with relatively small enrollment (16k) can thrive in the conference.
    We need another non-football university to join us as the 13th and 14th members of the Big 12. I just don't think there are too many (any?) non-football playing elite basketball programs like Gonzaga that could fit the bill, unless Creighton jumped ship from the Big East, which doesn't make much sense for them. Or, Big 12 could simply accept an odd # of teams for basketball and other sports, but that is rare too.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    We need another non-football university to join us as the 13th and 14th members of the Big 12. I just don't think there are too many (any?) non-football playing elite basketball programs like Gonzaga that could fit the bill, unless Creighton jumped ship from the Big East, which doesn't make much sense for them. Or, Big 12 could simply accept an odd # of teams for basketball and other sports, but that is rare too.
    Wichita St. would be the best choice, but Kansas would certainly veto (if they didn't bolt to the Big 10)

I don't think this has been shared.

https://www.deseret.com/platform/amp...-leaves-big-12

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk