Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Credible Coverage Suggesting BYU getting another run at BIGXII

Default Credible Coverage Suggesting BYU getting another run at BIGXII

https://theathletic.com/2793207/2021...cougars-favor/

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Wish we could take Gonzaga with us!

If it comes to pass it will be a significant loss for the Zags.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalCoug View Post
    Wish we could take Gonzaga with us!
    This is a football decision, and we don't have football.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    If it comes to pass it will be a significant loss for the Zags.
    It's a matter of perspective. From BYU's view point, they pick off a game more often than other WCC teams, so they (and some Zags fans) assume it's better for WCC competition and Gonzaga. From Gonzaga's viewpoint, we won WCC titles before they showed, we continued to win them after they showed, we have been at the doorstep of a title twice in the last four years, and BYU has literally won nothing besides regular season games since joining the WCC. For as strong as all the metrics say BYU is, SMC has more titles since BYU joined. What does BYU add?
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

BYU adds a team that is often tournament quality. You are kidding yourself if you don’t think the WCC (and by proxy Gonzaga) is worse off if/when we lose BYU.

Gonzaga loses 2-3 solid conference games with BYU leaving the WCC.

I was afraid of this. Greedily, I was hoping the PAC-12 would pick off Tech and Ok-ST, dealing a death blow to the Big-12. In such a case, BYU probably stays in the WCC.

But congrats to BYU if it unfolds.

Timing is everything! Joining the Big 12 now is kinda nonsensical, it's dying.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Was “dying,” but only if the vultures came. They may have passed, giving new life.

Texas hasn’t been top tier for quite some time in football. BYU was superior last season. If they add another good program, and there are a few (Houston, for example), they lose a bit in terms of marketability, but not much in terms of caliber of play.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    At the present time, they still have valid TV contracts and if they can add four solid teams (BYU, BSU, Houston, and ?), then they might be able to hold on to their TV contracts as well as the play-offs.

I will hate to see BYU leave as they were two to three Top 50 games...Maybe, if they do leave, they might still play us a home and home...

The question now is who does the WCC get to replace BYU "IF" they leave...the pickings are slim to be sure...

- i doubt very much byu would play us if they leave for the big 12, i think in their private confessions they would be glad to be done with the zags.

- if byu leaves i'm not sure the wcc has to find a new school, but i'd think seattle university will come begging.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - i doubt very much byu would play us if they leave for the big 12, i think in their private confessions they would be glad to be done with the zags.

- if byu leaves i'm not sure the wcc has to find a new school, but i'd think seattle university will come begging.
    I think Gonzaga will take on a renewed interest in moving in as well. Just speculation and timing is always key.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    BYU was superior last season. .

Not exactly murderer's row:

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...52/season/2020
    But we don't play nobody.

whitworth and eastern have football teams.
    many many universities smaller than GU have football teams.
    I know dropping football in 1941 made sense, the war, plus it was expensive.
    This is 81 years later, what are the compelling arguments now?
    Is GU committed to staying small everywhere while BB gets big?
    Are any of the Trustees interested in growing the college as BB grows? If the answer is yes (and I know in some respects it is happening now) what is the specific reason for no football?
    Even if GU basketball was average wouldn't it still be legitimate question to ask about football 80 yrs later?
    I mean is this question ever revisited for its own reasons?
    Not counting the Cal State schools which have huge enrollments, I see only about 20 Division One schools out of 358 that do not have football teams.

I am asking, I don't know enough to advocate football, so I am asking ...

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post

I just don't see Seattle U. having much to offer, other than a large market...but they are a non entity here really. It's all UW, SU really has no presence at all.

The whole don’t let the door hit you is so narrow minded. WCC is trash, them leaving makes it worse, and is worse for GU.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    WCC is trash.

The reason why I'm really going to miss them.

But we don't play nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Considering the way schedules worked last year, it probably makes more sense to consider the schedule for this year. 5 PAC-12 teams, BSU.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...52/season/2021

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Are any of the Trustees interested in growing the college as BB grows? If the answer is yes (and I know in some respects it is happening now) what is the specific reason for no football?
    Even if GU basketball was average wouldn't it still be legitimate question to ask about football 80 yrs later?
    Not counting the Cal State schools which have huge enrollments, I see only about 20 Division One schools out of 358 that do not have football teams.

There are roughly 100 Division I schools that don’t play football. Most of them are smaller, private schools.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    There are roughly 100 Division I schools that don’t play football. Most of them are smaller, private schools.
    A reckoning is coming for football, basically it's costs, both physical and financial. There's no need to hop on that train. The only schools making money off their football programs are the Power 4/5 schools.

HOWEVER, if Gonzaga does take up football, I recommend a permanent recruiting station be established near DFW airport. There are at least 4 daily nonstop flights to Spokane. You'd be in the center of one of the richest HS football regions in the country.

Gonzaga will never add football for a host of reasons. Good reasons.

Football is a money loser for all but the very largest schools. It’s a money loser for most schools outside the power 5. Gonzaga would never be in a P5 conference, football or no football. Adding football would be a fool’s errand. It would be impossible to find a conference and / or to find opponents. Gonzaga would be likely relegated to playing FCS (aka, I-AA) and not FBS because Gonzaga almost certainly couldn’t meet the home stadium attendance requirements for 1-A. Gonzaga would be playing Eastern WA and Weber State, not BYU or any P-12 schools.

The cost to start a program would be enormous and a potential drain on the current athletic budget, even with the success we have had bolstering that budget the past 20 years.

BYU leaving would be a huge blow to GU and to the conference in all non-football sports. BYU is the only other school in the conference that is always competitive in most sports across the board and had the resources that Gonzaga has. (More, actually). They expand the WCC media “footprint” significantly into the Rocky Mountain West.

Anyone who thinks their departure wouldn’t hurt is delusional. We should all hope they stay and that the BIG 12 falls apart.

My two cents anyway.

Would this be effective immediately for byu if it gets finalized?

As a BYU fan in Texas I have been hoping BYU would get an invite. Let's wait and see if it happens.

As far as the WCC goes I have mixed feelings. Zags aren't a rival. You're just too good. We've never come close to winning the WCC. St Mary's is a rival. Some of those games have been daggers in the heart. Personally I wouldn't be disappointed if BYU stayed in the WCC for everything but football and had a scheduling agreement with the BIG12 for olympic sports.

If we did go to the BIG12 keeping a H/H with the ZAGS and St Mary's would be fantastic. I know that would be only one game a year but I enjoy the Utah and Ut St game every year as well.

I might not be a huge fan of the WCC for basketball but I'm not delusional into thinking BYU has ever come close to what the Zags are and at times what St Mary's has done. Its been a huge upswing in hope since Pope took over. I feel that BYU has a legit shot at #2 every year while he's the coach. Getting to the dance is what I really care about. While it would be awesome to beat the Zags we all know that ain't happening.

The timing of such a move would have to coincide with the move by Texas and Oklahoma. There is also the possibility the conference folds at that point. I would take this with a grain of salt. The big question is what happens to Kansas and the other basketball heavy schools in the conference. If for some reason the conference sticks Gonzaga could become a basketball only member potentially because for football it wil become a lower level conference.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post

Should Gonzaga play in the Big Sky, the WAC or the Mountain West? A real long shot would be the Big 12, but all of those go away from the Zags home area and none are religious schools, so the Zags would also be leaving their roots.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?