• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • strikenowhere
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
    I for one would love an invite to the B12 or BE but...traveling expenses would be a strong consideration for not inviting GU along with other reasons...

Wichita State is already in a Bball only conference the Big East and why would they want to move to the B12, where their travel expenses would only go up?

I believe in win-win scenarios, so what is the win for the B12 by adding GU? Can you imagine traveling from Orlando too Spokane or from Spokane to Orlando once or twice a year or too and from Houston?

So let's say the B12 does invite GU as a Bball only member, where do all the now-revenue sports play? Will the WCC keep them? If so, WHY?

The Big East would be another coordination nightmare with travel expenses.

There is only one viable conference that would take GU and that would be the MWC and most on here feel that would be a "step-down" move from the WCC...personally, I think now that BYU will be moving on in the 2022-2023 season, that "IF" the WCC tries to add another lower their school, GU should consider moving to the MWC.

Face it, we picked the wrong geographical team for whom to root...if only GU was located a few states down and several to the east, then the possibilities would be so much better...
    Well for one Wichita St is in the AAC, not the Big East. The Shockers are located smack-dab in the middle of the Big 12 footprint so they'd fit right in, travel-wise. As far as the Zags go if you are going strictly by airline miles would be noticeably less, particularly if they were to split the conference into geographic divisions. The Big East would definitely be more of a logistical headache, with most of the schools being in the eastern US.

As far as the MWC goes, people say that it would be a downgrade or a minimal upgrade, at best. I don't quite agree with that sentiment myself, as simply adding the Zags would vault the MWC to at or near the top of the non-P6 bball conferences in terms of Kenpom strength. If Wichita St was added as well that would definitely be the case.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Vulnerable moment for GU. Few is distracted and Roth is gone.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bdmiller7 View Post
        I read in the last 8 seasons the big 12 has finished 1st 6 times and 2nd twice on KenPom. I don’t think they will drop bringing in these 4 schools.
        If Jamie Dixon can finally get TCU turned around, that will add one more heavyweight to the Big 12 mix. I was surprised to read they have less than 10,000 undergrads. That school is backed by BIG money, and their facilities are first rate.

Comment

• strikenowhere
          Zag for Life
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
          Definitely not good timing - wish Roth had stuck around through this round of alignment.

Comment

• Bogozags
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post
            Well for one Wichita St is in the AAC, not the Big East. The Shockers are located smack-dab in the middle of the Big 12 footprint so they'd fit right in, travel-wise. As far as the Zags go if you are going strictly by airline miles would be noticeably less, particularly if they were to split the conference into geographic divisions. The Big East would definitely be more of a logistical headache, with most of the schools being in the eastern US.

As far as the MWC goes, people say that it would be a downgrade or a minimal upgrade, at best. I don't quite agree with that sentiment myself, as simply adding the Zags would vault the MWC to at or near the top of the non-P6 bball conferences in terms of Kenpom strength. If Wichita St was added as well that would definitely be the case.
            You are absolutely right...WSU is in the AAC and not the Big East...for some reason thought they did go there...anyway...

You didn't answer the other questions...and travel expenses would be much higher, even if the B12 did break down into divisions...I think more than the benefit of adding GU...

It would be somewhat of a win for GU but not for the B12...

Comment

• Ladyzag12
              Kennel Club Material
              • Mar 2019

There is a zero chance WSU ever joins the Big 12 if Kansas is still in. Gonzaga is at a critical moment where we have enough basketball juice to get a better situation, but none really fit geographically. Obviously the MW is a better basketball conference than the WCC, but I would love to go independent or join the Big East. I think Big East could be worth the squeeze.

Comment

• strikenowhere
                Zag for Life
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
                There is a zero chance WSU ever joins the Big 12 if Kansas is still in. Gonzaga is at a critical moment where we have enough basketball juice to get a better situation, but none really fit geographically. Obviously the MW is a better basketball conference than the WCC, but I would love to go independent or join the Big East. I think Big East could be worth the squeeze.
                I don't think there is any way whatsoever that going independent works.

Comment

• bdmiller7
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
                  I’m not sure the MW is a better basketball conference. Even without GU and BYU the WCC still had 6 of the other 8 teams in KenPom’s top 150, with only Portland over 200 at 321. The MW had 5 teams in the top 150 and 6 outside the top 150, including UNM at 294, Air Force at 332, and San Jose St at 333. At best it’s a lateral move but GU would go from running the WCC full of other small religious private schools to the MW where GU would be the only private catholic school in a conference full of large state universities who care more about football. GU would not be calling the shots anymore. I think it’s Big East or bust, I just don’t know how that works being so far removed from those schools. No other team out west fits in the Big East. No more conference tourney in Vegas, probably going all the way to NYC.

Comment

• CB4
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2009

All of these Pac 12 teams fly into Spokane to play WSU. Could be cool if we got UCLA at home in Feb., Then next Feb. GU plays UCLA when on the LA road trip for LMU, Pepp games.

Lots of moving parts though and the big conferences are stacking up their conference games so that plays against us.

Comment

• v13311
                      Bulldog Fan
                      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                      As is Daniels.

Comment

• AztecDen
                        Bulldog Fan
                        • Mar 2018

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                        The Big 12, even with the loss of Oklahoma and Texas, is still a bad ass hoops conference.

Boy, I would love for the Zags to join the Big 12 in basketball. I could attend several road games a year, all within a 3 hour drive.
                        But, without the money they get from Texas and OU how long will that last? We are seeing a move from the P5 to a P4 with the Big 12 being the best of the rest.

Comment

• AztecDen
                          Bulldog Fan
                          • Mar 2018

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post

The addition of Gonzaga to the MWC would make us a 2 bid team easily, possible more. My school, SDSU, has been strong for the last 16 years and have made serious investments to its BB program including a $14M practice facility. While ULNV has been down, Reno, Boise and CSU have been trending up. Hopefully, the recent coaching hires at UNLV and UNM will get them back on tract. Also, SJSU hired Tim Miles which is another good hire if he has the energy to rebuild a program still. OK, the latter is a bit of a leap of faith, though SJSU in right there in Silicon Valley so they should have money. Adding Gonzaga in BB would make us very close to the Pac12 when it comes to BB, hell we could actually be better. UCLA added Cronin and I think he will do well there if they give him some time. USC recruits well but does not produce as well as they recruit. Arizona has been hurt with their violations and the dismissal of Sean Miller. Oregon, again they recruit well but don't get the return on their investment.

For me, I'd love to have you in our conference and I think it could benefit you as well.

Comment

• spike_jr
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by AztecDen View Post
                            The addition of Gonzaga to the MWC would make us a 2 bid team easily, possible more. My school, SDSU, has been strong for the last 16 years and have made serious investments to its BB program including a $14M practice facility. While ULNV has been down, Reno, Boise and CSU have been trending up. Hopefully, the recent coaching hires at UNLV and UNM will get them back on tract. Also, SJSU hired Tim Miles which is another good hire if he has the energy to rebuild a program still. OK, the latter is a bit of a leap of faith, though SJSU in right there in Silicon Valley so they should have money. Adding Gonzaga in BB would make us very close to the Pac12 when it comes to BB, hell we could actually be better. UCLA added Cronin and I think he will do well there if they give him some time. USC recruits well but does not produce as well as they recruit. Arizona has been hurt with their violations and the dismissal of Sean Miller. Oregon, again they recruit well but don't get the return on their investment.

For me, I'd love to have you in our conference and I think it could benefit you as well.
                            Aztec, I agree with you on many points, but the Pac-12 gets 4-6 teams in every year because they are the Pac-12 (aka P-5/6) and the NCAA needs to redistribute the money accordingly. It is not always merit based.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by spike_jr View Post
                              Aztec, I agree with you on many points, but the Pac-12 gets 4-6 teams in every year because they are the Pac-12 (aka P-5/6) and the NCAA needs to redistribute the money accordingly. It is not always merit based.
                              The PAC 12 did make a pretty strong case for all their bids with last year’s NCAA Tournament performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                              - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                                Zag for Life
                                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by AztecDen View Post
                                Oregon, again they recruit well but don't get the return on their investment.
                                I've generally sworn off mentioning UO here, but this needs correction. F4, E8 and two S16's in the last 5 tournaments. Reg season conference champs in '16, 17, 20 and 21. Conf tourney titles in 16 and 19.

Comment

Working...
                                X