Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Credible Coverage Suggesting BYU getting another run at BIGXII

The WCC is better with BYU in it and I don't want them to leave although they would need their head examined if they didn't leave for a Big 12 invite.

Down here in SEC country, the talk is that the Big 12 would either get BYU and Boise State of get the guts eaten up by other conferences.

That says it all about how much football drives the train, the Big 12 might be the best basketball conf. in the country, or is at least very top heavy, and still would be, but football drives these decisions. Losing Texas is a killer. It doesn't matter that Texas hasn't won lately, as they'll tell you, "We're Texas." It's impossible to overestimate how much money that AD has.

CDC is exactly right. The WCC would just weaken itself by adding another program. There is no other worthy program out there that anyone would want that "fits" the private school thing.

There will be D-1 hockey at Gonzaga before there's ever D-1 football.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

With Pacific joining with BYU, can they leave with BYU?
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

It’s a big loss, for sure.

My guess is in 2023, BYU will be playing in the Big 12 (and they’ll actually have 12 teams is my second prediction).

You can't sugarcoat losing BYU - it would be a huge loss for the Zags & conference. At least two Q1/2 games every year, along with a perennial contender for a postseason berth, is not something that should be blithely shooed away. I highly doubt anyone else in the conference is going to rise to BYU's stature on a consistent basis. Honestly I hope the zany rumors about the Zags tagging along as a basketball-only school to the B12 are true but my head says that is highly unlikely.

Not just the loss of a quality opponent, but BYU has a large fan base, and that is a significant loss of eyeballs and attention/interest in the WCC generally.

According to the Deseret News Max Olson of The Athletic reported BYU could join the Big 12 as a football only member.

Link: https://www.deseret.com/2021/9/2/226...ti-houston-ucf

Those acting like this would be nothing are not living in reality. They bring credibility to the league, and a year in and year out quality team.

BYU just had back to back Top 25 finishes. Who else besides Gonzaga has done that in the WCC in the last 30 years? No one.
    "My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby

Quote Originally Posted by HillZag View Post
    Those acting like this would be nothing are not living in reality. They bring credibility to the league, and a year in and year out quality team.

BYU just had back to back Top 25 finishes. Who else besides Gonzaga has done that in the WCC in the last 30 years? No one.
    As much as I despise BYU, it would hurt the WCC if they were to leave. Huge fan base, large university, things the other schools don't have.

It’s looking more and more like the move is happening - and for all sports. I was never one of the vocal minority BYU fans who poo poo’d the WCC. I was always grateful that the WCC took us in at a critical moment and felt it was a good fit for BYU. It was a mutually beneficial relationship. I feel like the WCC has taken a huge step forward the last several years. I hope to see BYU continue to schedule WCC teams into the future. I’m not kidding when I say I wish we could take you guys with us.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalCoug View Post
    It’s looking more and more like the move is happening - and for all sports. I was never one of the vocal minority BYU fans who poo poo’d the WCC. I was always grateful that the WCC took us in at a critical moment and felt it was a good fit for BYU. It was a mutually beneficial relationship. I feel like the WCC has taken a huge step forward the last several years. I hope to see BYU continue to schedule WCC teams into the future. I’m not kidding when I say I wish we could take you guys with us.
    I’ve heard, “as early as 2022.” What is the likely join date, based upon what you are hearing?

There’s talk that BYU may join in 2022 as a football only member then add the remaining sports when the AAC teams join. But who knows really? It’s all rumor and speculation at this point.

If BYU leaves, I would be all in favor of joining the MWC as a non-football school. I don't know about the financial aspect of that move, but from a competitive standpoint, it certainly looks more attractive than it did two years ago.

Sent from my ASUS_A009 using Tapatalk

It is going to be amazing to watch BYU - a university with a above average football team and a good (not great) basketball program - move on to bigger and better things, while one of the biggest college basketball programs/brands in the land will still be relegated to the WCC.

The WCC, and GU in particular, is definitely better with BYU as a member. They have a large athletic budget and their basketball team is well funded. Selfishly, each year we currently only play 4 games after Jan 1 that are of much significance. Those being 2 each against SMC and BYU. Plus, the atmosphere @ BYU is tournament-like: large arena (18,000) and in a hostile environment.

If the ego of BYU hoops fans is currently bruised, Wait until they get to play Baylor, Kansas, TT, WV, OU, and Ok St two times per year. They'll be lucky to finish in the top half. I could see GU's recruiting getting a consistent boost by joining the Big XII, but BYU is so unique, that I can't see conference affiliation having an impact on their recruiting and therefore, their ceiling is pretty low.

I would hope that BYU joins the Big XII as a football only and remains in the WCC in everything else. It really does make sense for the long term survival of their football program as realignment is going to make it even more difficult to schedule football games as an independent.

As to GU joining the Big XII (or anybody for that matter) as a basketball only member, all I can say is. "it ain't going to happen". The WCC will tell GU to get lost and you have to have 14 sports to maintain D-1 membership. Where are we going to put the other 13 sports?

Default Really????

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    So if they jump to the big 12 and it falls apart, which is quite likely, does BYU come groveling back to the WCC?
    since the whole damn conference is better off with them than without.....is "groveling" what you actually think they would have to do??? nonsense

BYU, Houston, UCF and Cincinnati to submit applications to join Big 12 next week; Possible approval as early as Sept 10

Here:
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ources-confirm

And here: https://www.si.com/college/2021/09/0...ucf-cincinnati

Maybe the WCC tournament can get back to finishing on Monday night instead of Tuesday. . .

Or maybe we will move too
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_eliZAG View Post
    Or maybe we will move too
    Yeah - seems like it is finally time to jump ship and move on, logistics be damned. It is exasperating knowing that in a year or two BYU is going to go from playing Pacific, LMU, San Diego, & et al to playing Houston, Cincinnati, Oklahoma St, Texas Tech, etc. twice a year. I mean good for them, I have nothing but respect for BYU and they have every right to do what they are doing. But come on it is damn time that Gonzaga spreads its wings a little here and leaves the nest.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Maybe the WCC tournament can get back to finishing on Monday night instead of Tuesday. . .
    Please
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Razorzag99 View Post
    If BYU leaves, I would be all in favor of joining the MWC as a non-football school. I don't know about the financial aspect of that move, but from a competitive standpoint, it certainly looks more attractive than it did two years ago.

Sent from my ASUS_A009 using Tapatalk
    The MWC has really, really been struggling in basketball. Go n take a look at the Net Rankings. Not a good league. The WCC, as presently constituted, has been substantially stronger.

Gonzaga will be fine. But losing BYU is a step backwards for the league.
    "My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby

Only positive in wcc tourney back to Sundays, everything else is negative. How much off the wccs rankings is based on GU? As in, if you pulled out GU where would they rank?

WCC is weak. Sorry, but if you remove BYU (and GU for the sake of normalizing data), it’s quite pedestrian. I’d look elsewhere.

If BYU moves than I would expect Gonzaga to explore its options again. We are at a different stage in our evolution and times have changed to where we have really outgrown the conference and all that is needed is a catalyst to spark a potential move. If we exclude BYU to determine the adjusted net rankings without them I am curious if that new figure is better than the MWC? Do we know how much notice BYU needs to give to the WCC for non football sports? The best option would be the Pac 10. I just think that conference would be snooty about things because it would ruin their story and tradition of their type of schools. Hopefully some chatter comes out soon.