X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martin Centre Mad Man
    Administrator
    • Apr 2009

The Big XII may approve the four new members as early as tomorrow.

Big 12 presidents at a meeting Friday will "rubber stamp" invitations to join the conference to BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF, sources told CBS Sports on Wednesday. While the the meeting has been planned for some time, the exact actions to be taken at it had not previously been clear.

It has become widely known that the Big 12 settled on those four schools as a means of replenishing the conference following the losses of Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC. Three of those programs made notable advancements this week as they plan to migrate to the Big 12.
    “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• Tetonka Test
      Bulldog Fan
      • Feb 2013

Is there any possibility that the BIG12 also invites Gonzaga? W

Comment

• strikenowhere
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Tetonka Test View Post
        Is there any possibility that the BIG12 also invites Gonzaga? W
        0%

Comment

• spike_jr
          Banned
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post
          0%
          so you're saying there's a chance.........

I'm with you but I would never say never so I will revise your estimate to 0.00001%

Comment

• strikenowhere
            Zag for Life
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by spike_jr View Post
            so you're saying there's a chance.........

I'm with you but I would never say never so I will revise your estimate to 0.00001%
            Don't get me wrong - I wish the Zags could be taken on as a non-football member. Heck, Baylor proves that a private religious school with relatively small enrollment (16k) can thrive in the conference.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by spike_jr View Post
              so you're saying there's a chance
              Come on man.... you gotta throw a GIF like this in when you post that line.

"And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• kitzbuel
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
                Come on man.... you gotta throw a GIF like this in when you post that line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• CB4
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post
                  Don't get me wrong - I wish the Zags could be taken on as a non-football member. Heck, Baylor proves that a private religious school with relatively small enrollment (16k) can thrive in the conference.
                  We need another non-football university to join us as the 13th and 14th members of the Big 12. I just don't think there are too many (any?) non-football playing elite basketball programs like Gonzaga that could fit the bill, unless Creighton jumped ship from the Big East, which doesn't make much sense for them. Or, Big 12 could simply accept an odd # of teams for basketball and other sports, but that is rare too.

Comment

• strikenowhere
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by CB4 View Post
                    We need another non-football university to join us as the 13th and 14th members of the Big 12. I just don't think there are too many (any?) non-football playing elite basketball programs like Gonzaga that could fit the bill, unless Creighton jumped ship from the Big East, which doesn't make much sense for them. Or, Big 12 could simply accept an odd # of teams for basketball and other sports, but that is rare too.
                    Wichita St. would be the best choice, but Kansas would certainly veto (if they didn't bolt to the Big 10)

Comment

• White lightning
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2017

I don't think this has been shared.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

• RenoZag
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

It’s happening. Multiple reports have surfaced that BYU, UCF, Houston and Cincinnati will be voted into the Big 12 on Friday when the Big 12 presidents meet. A news conference is expected then...
                        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• zagdontzig
                          Zag for Life
                          • Mar 2016

Cliffs Notes: $1MM get's them out immediately, $500K gets them out in 12 months. So basically, nothing.

If BYU basketball is still in the WCC this year, then Gonzaga needs to make sure they don't slip away with a conference title. I want them out empty-handed. You all can continue to live in awe of the analytics, but if they escape with a title, we'll never hear the end of how they were always too good for the conference, and it will never matter that we won the overwhelming majority of the titles they were eligible to win. It is in BYU's nature to overvalue the importance of their program, and a lone WCC title will be the validation they rest it all upon.

Enjoy BIGXII, they're your problem now.
                          Originally posted by Reborn
                          Go Zags!!!
                          Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

• Tetonka Test
                            Bulldog Fan
                            • Feb 2013

They're your "problem" now? Your post comes across as butt hurt. BYU hasn't been a "problem" in the WCC.

BYU is one of the few programs in the WCC that cares. I only wish that the other WCC programs would try to compete. Schools like Pepperdine have lied for years that they plan to build a new arena and up the ante. They never do anything.

It has been Gonzaga, Saint Mary's, and BYU for too long. Losing BYU will hurt. We'll see how the WCC responds and if they add a school like Seattle, Denver, or Grand Canyon.

Comment

• NorCalCoug
                              Bulldog Fan
                              • Jan 2011

Done deal. BYU to play in the WCC for the 2021/2022 and 2022/2023 seasons.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Tetonka Test View Post
                                They're your "problem" now? Your post comes across as butt hurt. BYU hasn't been a "problem" in the WCC.

BYU is one of the few programs in the WCC that cares. I only wish that the other WCC programs would try to compete. Schools like Pepperdine have lied for years that they plan to build a new arena and up the ante. They never do anything.

It has been Gonzaga, Saint Mary's, and BYU for too long. Losing BYU will hurt. We'll see how the WCC responds and if they add a school like Seattle, Denver, or Grand Canyon.
                                I personally don’t get the anti-BYU bent of a couple of posters around here. They are vocal and their opinions are well known but by no means representative of most.

I am familiar with the the BYU haters from the MWC from my grad school years at Wyoming and understand some of the BYU desire to leave that environment. There was flat out hatred there.
                                I think the level of animosity is a lot lower in the WCC.

I am going to miss the BYU games. Those were 2-3 games every year that actually made me stay awake to watch here on the East Coast. I don’t think I was the only East Coast eyeballs on those games either. Those games get GU attention in a good way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                                - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

Working...
                                X