Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who will be the biggest positive surprise and why?

Default Who will be the biggest positive surprise and why?

Itís summer. Letís speculate. Who do you think is going to going to shine beyond what most people might think right now? And why do you think that?

Maybe Dominic Harris. I don't know what others think, but he could be the guy who people forget about with all of the anticipation surrounding the newbies. He has a nice first step and is very athletic. His shot should be pretty good. If he can find some change of pace and a bit of wiggle in his dribble he will be very good.

We know guys like Harris and Strawther had high regard and upside out of HS but I will go with Strawther. He has great size and can score on all levels, im thinking he has the biggest jump this year.
    America's Team!

Motivated by all the wailing & gnashing of teeth last year on this forum, I predict that Drew Timme WILL NOT lose a single opening tip this year!!
    But we don't play nobody.

Nolan Hickman or Bolton or Watson.

Hickman because people dont realize how good he is. He imo will be a lottery pick next year. He is unreal and will be our starting PG this year. He is suggs-like (impact wise).

Bolton is also a very good player. Saw him many times at ISU and he was always the best player on the court even with a terrible iowa state team. He alone kept them in games.

Watson has been training with Drew a lot this summer. If there was going to be a year he was going to make a jump into the kid who was once a projected first rounder, its this year.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Motivated by all the wailing & gnashing of teeth last year on this forum, I predict that Drew Timme WILL NOT lose a single opening tip this year!!
    Chet might lose a couple;-)

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Nolan Hickman or Bolton or Watson.

Hickman because people dont realize how good he is. He imo will be a lottery pick next year. He is unreal and will be our starting PG this year. He is suggs-like (impact wise).

Bolton is also a very good player. Saw him many times at ISU and he was always the best player on the court even with a terrible iowa state team. He alone kept them in games.

Watson has been training with Drew a lot this summer. If there was going to be a year he was going to make a jump into the kid who was once a projected first rounder, its this year.
    I do believe Mr. Watson will make the most improvement and am actually hoping he does, because if he does then we will once again be in the Championship Game BUT this time we win it all. His play on offence will be a key piece to being pretty much unstoppable...imo

I also see Strawther making a tremendous jump as well. Harris should make a positive jump too...playing better defence as well as finding open post players...

Again, Watson is the key piece AND I might add that Timme can also make a big jump "IF" he has developed a confident shot behind the arc too!

We have so many up-sides this coming season and it is hard to imagine that we lose two of the most talented Zags in history (CK & Suggs) and we could be an even better team...again, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    I’ll take that bet, Fitty.

Anton Watson will be the biggest positive surprise after a year+ removed from shoulder surgery and a healthy offseason when he has been able to focus on developing his skills rather than rehabbing his shoulder. The mental hurdle of trusting the shoulder again is a thing of the past now and the influx of talent on this roster is gonna force him to become more assertive if he wants to earn key rotation minutes.

I’m real curious to see if Anton has continued to bulk up and add muscle in anticipation of this team needing him to be a post player or if he has been focusing on getting lean and quick and fast as his more natural position and professional future may be as a big wing not a post player.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

I picked Anton Watson last year.... it's veja du time... Watson...

Ha ha ha 50.... I think you win... why would Drew jump center with Chet on the floor... good call...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Wait... if we all pick Dom... does it negate the surprise?

And yes... I was and am still saying Dom.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I hope Dom gets his shot. He won’t be starting over hickman or Nembhard so unless few goes three guards again, he should be one of the first off the bench

Much like Jeremy Jones (one of my all time favorite Zags ever, btw) came from “out of nowhere” to help Gonzaga get past Illinois in Maui (2018) I have this feeling that Martynas Arlauskas will come up BIG and help the Zags win a key game or two this season. I like the kid … and think he is an asset (albeit towards the end of a deep bench).

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

I'll go with Strawther. He's a natural born scorer. I think he can fill a bit of the Ayayi roll scoring on the fast break and off of opportune cuts. Not to mention he's a great shooter and should get many open looks playing with so many high level passers.

Strawther. Few won’t be surprised, but many posters will be.

Strawther or Watson. Sounds like Strawther is looking good in the offseason, but personally I've been hoping for a freshman Watson reemergence ever since he blew us away with his play in his first few games as a Zag. I'm hoping he's gotten more comfortable with his shoulder over the last year and is ready to break out and dominate like I know he can.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

I'm going with Kaden Perry. I don't think we're expecting much from him...just with his back injury, and all the other guys coming in that we're excited for. Perry was SOOO fun to watch at the youth basketball camp. Even though he said his back is still giving him some trouble, I'm gonna try and give him some good vibes and pick HIM for the big surprise this season.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    I'm going with Kaden Perry. I don't think we're expecting much from him...just with his back injury, and all the other guys coming in that we're excited for. Perry was SOOO fun to watch at the youth basketball camp. Even though he said his back is still giving him some trouble, I'm gonna try and give him some good vibes and pick HIM for the big surprise this season.
    Love your take based on your first hand, in person observations (which are few and far between). Hope you are correct. I like the kid … and the fact that he is a Zag.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Mr. Ben Gregg will have the advantage of:

Familiarity with Few's system,
    frosh to soph growth & maturation, and
    practice reps vs. very good competition.

I think he'll provide some valuable minutes this year and might be "under the radar" as the season unfolds. As such, he may be the 'biggest surprise.'

- i read this thread last night and decided to wait and then scoop in with my surprise pick, but the surprise is on me.
    - was not expecting anyone picking anton watson. with all the new powerhouse names i feel he barely gets a whisper these days.
    - in any event, if he can get his mojo going and stroke every shot with the confidence that he is unstoppable.......look out!

- of the sophomores ben, dom and julian, i think julian is better poised to breakout. as mentioned before he is simply geared to score.

- of the newbies i'm pulling for bolton. i'd actually like to see hickman develop and learn this year so we see him next year as well.

For me the biggest surprise has to come from a Freshman because I haven't seen any of them play yet. From the videos that I've watched of this group of players I am going to have to say Hickman. I really like how he plays the game, and how he handles the basketball. Two things I like about him is that he can really pass, which is so often a lost art. But not with Mark Few. One thing I love about Gonzaga basketball is that they really know how to move the basketball. From the videos that I've watched of his last high school team, his coach seemed to really stress tough man-to-man defense, and Hickman will be a good defender, imo. This too, is very important to Mark Few. As has been already stated, Few likes playing combo guards together, so I expect HIckman to get some good minutes. He also has the ability to go one-on-one against any opponent, and can shoot that jumper at the elbow. I'm really looking forward to seeing him in a Gonzaga Uni.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Perry because of his athleticism and his defensive potential to switch and match up against every position. He could be a real stopper on defense. That is how I would envision utilizing him and it would certainly be his best route to the next level as well as immediate Zag playing time.
    Watson because of another precious year of development within one of the premier player development programs in the nation. He finishes offensively just fine. He needs to get more assertive on the rebounds. I think he will to our surprise.
    Last edited by MickMick; 08-24-2021 at 06:58 PM.
    I miss Mike Hart

I'm in the Watson camp....Woohoo did you see him this summer? Wonder if he's bulked up trimmed down or stayed same.

I'd pay to watch some practices this fall.....another revenue stream via satellite transmission

imagine the competition.....boys will be ballin!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    I'm in the Watson camp....Woohoo did you see him this summer? Wonder if he's bulked up trimmed down or stayed same.

I'd pay to watch some practices this fall.....another revenue stream via satellite transmission

imagine the competition.....boys will be ballin!
    I actually didn't see him dang it. I'll say this though, I saw Perry and THOUGHT he was Watson. Somewhat similar body-type, surprisingly.

The day Watson was at camp, I was out golfing! Kaleb (my son) said Watson was his team's "coach" for half of the day though, and said Watson was so nice, and would get very hyped during drills and games when his players did something good. I thought that was interesting, because he USUALLY seems so quiet/subdued! Kaleb loved him though.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...