Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who will be the biggest positive surprise and why?

My gut says Harris. He could become a defensive monster.

Strawther. He could be the most dynamic scorer since Ammo.

And Jazz, that’s a sucker bet. I think Chet takes all the tips offs this year.

'Heart wants Watson . But after reviewing Bolton's films, I do think he's the one. Such a lot of experience. He does everything well. Doesn't matter if he was on a bad team, what matters is him. He's an all star. I hope we have him for 2 years.

From what I am hearing, Strawther will be the most pleasant “surprise,” and make the most unanticipated impact. And not just as a scorer either. He has been putting in the work and my guess is that it will show.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Strawther. He could be the most dynamic scorer since Ammo.

And Jazz, thatís a sucker bet. I think Chet takes all the tips offs this year.
    I got that, but even if Tims jumps once Iím betting no.

I think it says an enormous amount about this team that there have been so many different opinions on this question. So so deep! How many days to go?

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    I think it says an enormous amount about this team that there have been so many different opinions on this question. So so deep! How many days to go?
    I alone gave three answers but wouldn’t be surprised if it was Strawther either. He looked great in limited action last year

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    I'm going with Kaden Perry. I don't think we're expecting much from him...just with his back injury, and all the other guys coming in that we're excited for. Perry was SOOO fun to watch at the youth basketball camp. Even though he said his back is still giving him some trouble, I'm gonna try and give him some good vibes and pick HIM for the big surprise this season.
    I didnít like the part about his back still bothering him.

I’m liking the insider info in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I didn’t like the part about his back still bothering him.
    Yeah...Honestly...after talking to him, I personally felt like I may have crossed the line a bit in asking him. But the WAY I asked, I kept it very low key and I am hoping it came off as 'caring' to Kaden.

This was literally our convo:
    As Kaden is signing my son's sign.
    Me- "Awesome, thank you so much Kaden. We appreciate it."
    Kaden- You got it man! (something along those lines)
    Me- "How's your back feeling? You were dunking pretty easily out there today"
    Kaden- "Umm, it's getting there. Not 100%, but we're working on it"
    Me- "Great, good luck man!"
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I’m liking the insider info in this thread.
    A few more 'personality' tidbits that I will throw in, just based on the interactions I witnessed between players and campers, and interactions I personally had with some of them.

Timme- About as down-to-Earth as they come. He was having a blast during camp, and loved hyping up the kids.
    Rasir- Very, very quiet. Kept his hoodie on (and hood up) every time I saw him. When he signed an autograph, he was very cordial, super nice, and told Kaleb 'you did great this week', which I thought was nice. But I see him as being somewhat quiet/reserved, but maybe unleashes everything on the court.
    Strawther- I think "Smiley" is a good nickname for him.
    Chet- I was struck by how personable he was. He was engaged in every convo he had with kids. He didn't act like someone who was 'too big' for this/that task. Seems like a truly great person, which I was glad to see.
    Evan Inglesby- Seems very "GU". He was as cool and polite as they come. The kids absolutely loved him. He was one of Kaleb's favorite players. I was struck by how athletic he was, and how pure his shot looks. What struck me MOST....he'll likely never see the floor!! And THAT'S the type of talent we have on our bench. Crazy.
    Anton- Again, I never saw him, but Kaleb absolutely loved him. Said he got hyped and cheered a lot.
    Kaden- He was something else. Jumping and hooting and hollering EVERY play of every drill or game. How freaking cool. Smiling and laughing and joking. Gotta love it.
    GBJ- All business. Did a great job running camp. You can tell he takes his role seriously. I appreciated him.
    Harris- Also extremely quiet, UNTIL....Kaleb torched another camper with a spin move and nice finish and Harris started jumping up and down clapping and yelled to GBJ "Did you see that?!?!". Kaleb loved that moment! haha.
    Gregg- Also felt like a Mr. GU type to me. I was struck by his size/broadness of his shoulders. Bigger than I pictured in my head. I honestly think he will be a nice contributing piece this season. Fingers crossed anyway!

In reading through this thread, at one time or another, nearly EVERY GU player has been mentioned as the biggest, positive surprise for this year.

That's pretty darn encouraging.

Thumbs down Shaggy

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post
    In reading through this thread, at one time or another, nearly EVERY GU player has been mentioned as the biggest, positive surprise for this year.

That's pretty darn encouraging.
    Player-Hickman

I think Coach Gentry is gonna help a helluva lot.

I’m going with Nolan Hickman. I’m still surprised he’s on the roster and imagine he will play a lot.

We are so loaded!
    Go Zags!!!

Coach Few

Proves the Zags system is built to withstand one and done type players
    Proves the Zag system can lose one of its top coaches and still wins 30+ games
    Proves the Zags can go to back to back final fours and win the title

A few more 'personality' tidbits that I will throw in, just based on the interactions I witnessed between players and campers, and interactions I personally had with some of them.

Timme- About as down-to-Earth as they come. He was having a blast during camp, and loved hyping up the kids.
    Rasir- Very, very quiet. Kept his hoodie on (and hood up) every time I saw him. When he signed an autograph, he was very cordial, super nice, and told Kaleb 'you did great this week', which I thought was nice. But I see him as being somewhat quiet/reserved, but maybe unleashes everything on the court.
    Chet- I was struck by how personable he was. He was engaged in every convo he had with kids. He didn't act like someone who was 'too big' for this/that task. Seems like a truly great person, which I was glad to see.
    Evan Inglesby- Seems very "GU". He was as cool and polite as they come. The kids absolutely loved him. He was one of Kaleb's favorite players. I was struck by how athletic he was, and how pure his shot looks. What struck me MOST....he'll likely never see the floor!! And THAT'S the type of talent we have on our bench. Crazy.
    Anton- Again, I never saw him, but Kaleb absolutely loved him. Said he got hyped and cheered a lot.
    Kaden- He was something else. Jumping and hooting and hollering EVERY play of every drill or game. How freaking cool. Smiling and laughing and joking. Gotta love it.
    GBJ- All business. Did a great job running camp. You can tell he takes his role seriously. I appreciated him.
    Harris- Also extremely quiet, UNTIL....Kaleb torched another camper with a spin move and nice finish and Harris started jumping up and down clapping and yelled to GBJ "Did you see that?!?!". Kaleb loved that moment! haha.
    Gregg- Also felt like a Mr. GU type to me. I was struck by his size/broadness of his shoulders. Bigger than I pictured in my head. I honestly think he will be a nice contributing piece this season. Fingers crossed anyway!
    That must have been a great experience for both of you. It also sounds like a good group of guys. Basketball season can't get here quick enough. As a kid it would have been pretty nuts to meet all of those Zag players, including some future NBAers, and I probably would have been super nervous to play in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I got that, but even if Tims jumps once I’m betting no.

We're gonna' have to figure something out, Jazz.

But we don't play nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
    Coach Few

Proves the Zags system is built to withstand one and done type players
    Proves the Zag system can lose one of its top coaches and still wins 30+ games
    Proves the Zags can go to back to back final fours and win the title
    Can I borrow your crystal ball?

thanks for a great post. Didn't see Hickman's name on it? Was he at the camp? If not there do you know why
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    thanks for a great post. Didn't see Hickman's name on it? Was he at the camp? If not there do you know why
    I only saw him on day 1. He was there, watching some of the kids scrimmage, for about 30 min. He didn’t say or do much when I saw him.

hunter sallis

I'm going with Ben Gregg. Great looking stroke, played last season which means Few and company likes him. He's going to be a really good big as his body matures.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    I'm going with Ben Gregg. Great looking stroke, played last season which means Few and company likes him. He's going to be a really good big as his body matures.

A Silky Sullivan choice, but I love it.

Exclamation

Anton Watson's overall game.

Julian Strawther's scoring touch.

Chet's passing ability.

Timme's jump shot.

Hickman's poise.

Rasir's toughness.

Dom's shot selection.

Sallis' cutting/slashing.

Gregg's stroke.

Perry's health.

Nembhard's hairdo.

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post

I think he has gone under the radar. He lost out on the recruiting site hype of his senior year of HS and isnít being compared with his Ďclass.í

The time he spent with the team at the highest levels of NCAA competition will give him a huge confidence leap over his peers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bayÖ small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time