Who will be the biggest positive surprise and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tyra
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Who will be the biggest positive surprise and why?

It’s summer. Let’s speculate. Who do you think is going to going to shine beyond what most people might think right now? And why do you think that?
  • JPtheBeasta
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2008

Maybe Dominic Harris. I don't know what others think, but he could be the guy who people forget about with all of the anticipation surrounding the newbies. He has a nice first step and is very athletic. His shot should be pretty good. If he can find some change of pace and a bit of wiggle in his dribble he will be very good.

Comment

• HenneZag
      Zag for Life
      • Aug 2012

We know guys like Harris and Strawther had high regard and upside out of HS but I will go with Strawther. He has great size and can score on all levels, im thinking he has the biggest jump this year.
      America's Team!

Comment

• Malastein
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Dom Harris!
        The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.

Comment

• sittingon50
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Motivated by all the wailing & gnashing of teeth last year on this forum, I predict that Drew Timme WILL NOT lose a single opening tip this year!!
          But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
            Zag for Life
            • Jun 2007

Nolan Hickman or Bolton or Watson.

Hickman because people dont realize how good he is. He imo will be a lottery pick next year. He is unreal and will be our starting PG this year. He is suggs-like (impact wise).

Bolton is also a very good player. Saw him many times at ISU and he was always the best player on the court even with a terrible iowa state team. He alone kept them in games.

Watson has been training with Drew a lot this summer. If there was going to be a year he was going to make a jump into the kid who was once a projected first rounder, its this year.

Comment

• Malastein
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
              Motivated by all the wailing & gnashing of teeth last year on this forum, I predict that Drew Timme WILL NOT lose a single opening tip this year!!
              Chet might lose a couple;-)
              The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.

Comment

• Bogozags
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
                Nolan Hickman or Bolton or Watson.

Hickman because people dont realize how good he is. He imo will be a lottery pick next year. He is unreal and will be our starting PG this year. He is suggs-like (impact wise).

Bolton is also a very good player. Saw him many times at ISU and he was always the best player on the court even with a terrible iowa state team. He alone kept them in games.

Watson has been training with Drew a lot this summer. If there was going to be a year he was going to make a jump into the kid who was once a projected first rounder, its this year.
                I do believe Mr. Watson will make the most improvement and am actually hoping he does, because if he does then we will once again be in the Championship Game BUT this time we win it all. His play on offence will be a key piece to being pretty much unstoppable...imo

I also see Strawther making a tremendous jump as well. Harris should make a positive jump too...playing better defence as well as finding open post players...

Again, Watson is the key piece AND I might add that Timme can also make a big jump "IF" he has developed a confident shot behind the arc too!

We have so many up-sides this coming season and it is hard to imagine that we lose two of the most talented Zags in history (CK & Suggs) and we could be an even better team...again, IMO

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                  I’ll take that bet, Fitty.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Anton Watson will be the biggest positive surprise after a year+ removed from shoulder surgery and a healthy offseason when he has been able to focus on developing his skills rather than rehabbing his shoulder. The mental hurdle of trusting the shoulder again is a thing of the past now and the influx of talent on this roster is gonna force him to become more assertive if he wants to earn key rotation minutes.

I’m real curious to see if Anton has continued to bulk up and add muscle in anticipation of this team needing him to be a post player or if he has been focusing on getting lean and quick and fast as his more natural position and professional future may be as a big wing not a post player.
                    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• bigblahla
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

I picked Anton Watson last year.... it's veja du time... Watson...

Ha ha ha 50.... I think you win... why would Drew jump center with Chet on the floor... good call...

Go!! Zags!!!
                      "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                        • Feb 2007

Wait... if we all pick Dom... does it negate the surprise?

And yes... I was and am still saying Dom.
                        "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jun 2007

I hope Dom gets his shot. He won’t be starting over hickman or Nembhard so unless few goes three guards again, he should be one of the first off the bench

Comment

• GoZags
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Much like Jeremy Jones (one of my all time favorite Zags ever, btw) came from “out of nowhere” to help Gonzaga get past Illinois in Maui (2018) I have this feeling that Martynas Arlauskas will come up BIG and help the Zags win a key game or two this season. I like the kid … and think he is an asset (albeit towards the end of a deep bench).
                            sigpic
                            “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                            ——-
                            List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                            Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Worthington
                              Bleeds GU Blue
                              • Aug 2011

I'll go with Strawther. He's a natural born scorer. I think he can fill a bit of the Ayayi roll scoring on the fast break and off of opportune cuts. Not to mention he's a great shooter and should get many open looks playing with so many high level passers.

Comment

Working...
                              X