Thread: Players' Salaries in the NBA

Default Players' Salaries in the NBA

I found this listing of players' salaries in the NBA from Hoops Hype very interesting. https://hoopshype.com/salaries/players/

I picked out some Zag players salaries:

For comparison purposes, here are the top 11 players listed:

Klay Thompson has been out since 2019 with a torn Achilles. I wondered what would happen to his compensation under his contract while he is out. Found this on the internet:

Basketball contracts are usually fully guaranteed against injury (as long as said injury was sports-related and not sustained during activities specifically barred in the contract terms), so if they get hurt and they're still under contract at the time, then they'll still be paid.
    Blows my mind he could receive full compensation while he's out so long ...

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Klay Thompson has been out since 2019 with a torn Achilles. I wondered what would happen to his compensation under his contract while he is out. Found this on the internet:

I’m sure that the players’ association made that injury clause a point of emphasis for their collective bargaining agreement.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

A lot of loot for getting a ball in the hoop, etc

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post

Are there some further complications with his injury? In the WNBA, Breanna Stewart and Kelsey Plum both missed one season after tearing their Achilles, then came back better than before. How has he been out for 2 full years?

Kay has sustained two separate major injuries. The first was a torn ACL suffered in the 2019 Finals. That caused him to miss the entirety of the following year. During an off-season workout prior to last season he suffered an Achilles rupture.

He deserves every penny he has been paid, just as any athlete should when they are under contract. It's a risk every time they practice or play a game and the club owners absolutely need to keep the checks coming to their employees that take that risk to make money for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Kay has sustained two separate major injuries. The first was a torn ACL suffered in the 2019 Finals. That caused him to miss the entirety of the following year. During an off-season workout prior to last season he suffered an Achilles rupture.

He deserves every penny he has been paid, just as any athlete should when they are under contract. It's a risk every time they practice or play a game and the club owners absolutely need to keep the checks coming to their employees that take that risk to make money for them.
    No doubt. What happened in the NFL this offseason was unfortunate. Different deal there, though. NBA players have it pretty good—typically well deserved. For the vast majority of guys, just make it to the second contract and team success is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I’m sure that the players’ association made that injury clause a point of emphasis for their collective bargaining agreement.
    Didn't Bill Walton sustain a foot injury while with Portland, and was paid his contract until it expired...THEN he signed with Boston.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Didn't Bill Walton sustain a foot injury while with Portland, and was paid his contract until it expired...THEN he signed with Boston.
    Clippers then Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNation View Post
    Clippers then Boston.
    Portland then Clippers then Boston.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_W...sional_career_
    Last edited by willandi; 08-23-2021 at 08:14 AM.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

anyone happen to remember the publicly announced salaries of
    Ammo
    Ronny
    Austin D
    Dan D
    I realize inflation has severely altered the ability to compare salaries over a decade ago

Baseball and basketball both have guaranteed salaries, football does not.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    anyone happen to remember the publicly announced salaries of
    Ammo
    Ronny
    Austin D
    Dan D
    I realize inflation has severely altered the ability to compare salaries over a decade ago
    This site has year by year salaries at the bottom of each player’s page (scroll way down):

http://https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/morriad01.html

Morrison made $16.9 million in his career.
    Ronny $22.6 million
    Austin $10.5 million
    Dickau $11.4