Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zags in Seattle Tomorrow (8/21)

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Nembhard
    Hickman
    Strawther
    Holmgren
    Timme

Sallis is not better than Strawther, or Hickman right now, so there's that. Hunter adds a unique element with his insane length, transition game, and ability to find the open lane, yet very raw all around, esp within organized basketball....exactly where Hickman THRIVES.

Strawther is one of Few's favorite players right now. Mr. Buckets with incredible feel. Needs to get tougher and more consistent effort, but his skill level is off-the-charts.

Initially, I anticipated Bolton to get the start over Hickman & Co., yet hearing he has quite of bit of work to do in the "team chemistry" department. I'm sure he will be just fine, as he's surrounded by great coaches and teammates, yet has some learning/growing to do as a teammate.

I attribute this his late arrival, and likely trying to prove himself, yet early reports have been...mixed. Good player, just a bit selfish on the court.

He'll come around, finding his way, yet Hickman is as advertised. An elite pace to the game, knows how to involve others, and find ways to impact the game. Some growing pains, yet essentially a Nembhard clone with more "hops".

Thanks for the insight!

I was curious if Bolton was going to come in expecting a starting spot to be his by default (even IF he might have never been told that).

Hope the chemistry improves - lots of logjams for talented guys at that 2nd/3rd guard spot (assuming Nembhard gets 35min/game in big games).

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Thanks for the stats. Appreciate it. Which of the other two played on Holmgren's team, and does anyone know their numbers. I have watched the videos to see Holmgren play; and now I'd like to watch it again to see the other two. Thanks

This video seems to be the best quality and shows a better angle throughout the game. Can't really make out the other 2/3 non zag players on their team (#1 chet #2 nolan #3 hunter), just know the Zags were representing the WorldwideSM team for that game.
    Last edited by Sneakerhead253; 08-23-2021 at 01:35 AM.

Bolton is a seasoned veteran from a very tough defensive league. And he was all Big 10. I think 2nd team. He’s very very good. He’ll get serious minutes. I’d be surprised if he didn’t deserve them. I think Few got a jewel.
    Last edited by MDABE80; 08-23-2021 at 06:58 PM.

Zags have been beyond prescient and fortunate with transfers — 5th year included — a process that’s been a minefield for CBB programs forever. No reason yet to feel Bolton won’t be yet another in the long line of great people and great players who’ll make us proud. A Zag all time transfer team would be fun to conjure.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    A Zag all time transfer team would be fun to conjure.
    Good idea. I have no idea how many guys I'm missing but off the top of my head at 0'dark hundred I've gotta have JP Batista, Kyle Wiltjer, Micah Downs, Dan Dickau and Nigel Williams - Goss as a pretty good Zag starting 5.

If the list is restricted to transfers from D1 schools ... perhaps swap Jonathan Williams III for JP Batista as a big. (but to this day I've always loved me some JP Batista).

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

A Zag all time transfer team would be fun to conjure.
    Top level for me would be:
    DD
    NWG
    KW
    BC

After that - unsure - a lot of great transfers.

I think JP-B would be the top of the next level, then MD
    GO ZAGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarenyon View Post
    DD
    NWG
    KW
    BC

D'oh (slaps forehead). I just KNEW I was missing someone big. Yeah .... I'd swap BC for MD on my list if given a 2nd chance.

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Quote Originally Posted by Sarenyon View Post
    DD
    NWG
    KW
    BC

Add M. Downs and this works for me...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Bolton is a seasoned veterAl from a very tough defensive league. And he was all Big 10. I think 2nd team. He’s very very good. He’ll get serious minutes. I’d be surprised if he didn’t deserve them. I think Few got a jewel.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020...ketball_season

I think Bolton will be a very important piece to this GU team but the 3rd team Big 12 is a bit misleading. It makes you think 2 guards per team, so he was a top 6 guard in the conference, but there was actually 14 guards that made the 3 teams. A lot of very good players on those teams though. I still expect Bolton to get 20+ minutes a game, his experience to too valuable.

Just my opinion but Bolton would be best as a scorer off the bench, a guy who can come in and score the ball on his own (as much as the system allows him). But if we get Hickman and Nembhard with Chet and Timme and whoever else, we have 4 great passers on the court. We’d need scoring from the backcourt and shooting from the 5th, but I think we can get that.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Good idea. I have no idea how many guys I'm missing but off the top of my head at 0'dark hundred I've gotta have JP Batista, Kyle Wiltjer, Micah Downs, Dan Dickau and Nigel Williams - Goss as a pretty good Zag starting 5.

If the list is restricted to transfers from D1 schools ... perhaps swap Jonathan Williams III for JP Batista as a big. (but to this day I've always loved me some JP Batista).
    U put down a helluva marker GZ, tough to match much less beat. I might sub Clarkie for KW. Wasn't the Bonus a transfer from the NBA?

We are in a good way. Timme demands a double team and so does Holmgren and Holmgren can really play defense. Who else demands a double team?. Even if its one then we can really score and are probalby unstoppable scoring wise like last year and maybe even better BUT . The only question is, can anyone stop us like Baylor did last year??? Baylor was an unusual game as we all know. Trying to stay undefeated which hasn' t been done in almost 50 years and then having a let down at the wrong time after the big big win over UCLA. I would actually like to see us lose a game or two so that we can go into the tourney with a chip on our shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by sheps001 View Post
    We are in a good way. Timme demands a double team and so does Holmgren and Holmgren can really play defense. Who else demands a double team?. Even if its one then we can really score and are probalby unstoppable scoring wise like last year and maybe even better BUT . The only question is, can anyone stop us like Baylor did last year??? Baylor was an unusual game as we all know. Trying to stay undefeated which hasn' t been done in almost 50 years and then having a let down at the wrong time after the big big win over UCLA. I would actually like to see us lose a game or two so that we can go into the tourney with a chip on our shoulders.
    I don't see how anyone will be able to stop the Zags with both Timme and Holmgren on the floor at the same time. I am not sure there is going to be anyone who can stop Holmgren period.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Nembhard
    Hickman
    Strawther
    Holmgren
    Timme

Sallis is not better than Strawther, or Hickman right now, so there's that. Hunter adds a unique element with his insane length, transition game, and ability to find the open lane, yet very raw all around, esp within organized basketball....exactly where Hickman THRIVES.

Strawther is one of Few's favorite players right now. Mr. Buckets with incredible feel. Needs to get tougher and more consistent effort, but his skill level is off-the-charts.

Initially, I anticipated Bolton to get the start over Hickman & Co., yet hearing he has quite of bit of work to do in the "team chemistry" department. I'm sure he will be just fine, as he's surrounded by great coaches and teammates, yet has some learning/growing to do as a teammate.

I attribute this his late arrival, and likely trying to prove himself, yet early reports have been...mixed. Good player, just a bit selfish on the court.

He'll come around, finding his way, yet Hickman is as advertised. An elite pace to the game, knows how to involve others, and find ways to impact the game. Some growing pains, yet essentially a Nembhard clone with more "hops".
    The crazy part with all of this is take a look at what ends up on that second unit. Is that something like Bolton, Harris, Sallis, Anton, Gregg? Yikes!
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag View Post
    My (total conjecture) on the team type or player type that the Zags would struggle with would be vs big strong "grown men" type athletes, especially if they can defend the paint well and we struggle (as I expect we may) to score from 3.

Few of our players will be physically dominant (think Zion, Brandon Clarke, Cockburn, or that Tennessee team that beat us with Yves Pons and Admiral Schofield, etc).

Nembhard, Timme, Hickman, Chet (due to youth and weight) are all more finesse and skill guys than physical players.
    You might have just said, Florida State.

1. Shoot over grown men.
    2 not short on bigs this year like last year.
    3. 4-5 very good bigs with varying degrees of experience. I’d rather run a team out if the gym than arm wrestle underneath. I wouldn’t sell our bigs short. Long arms help a lot and Drew can rebound and shoot.(19 ppg) He just needed help on the rebound component. He’s got that now. I’m hoping for a huge season for Watson who is a solid 6 ft 9 now.
    We have 4~5 guards with experience (Nenb and Bolton) and with Uber talent and speed.

We need to see how these kids blend but Fews a master at putting a team together. Plus these boys like each other.
    As for Baylor... we now would match up well with the “angry” play that sunk us in April.

2 months. 2 weeks we’ll know more.

My thinking is... you can't put your 5 on Chet on the perimeter as he'll get burned more than likely. You put your 4 on him, you are giving up height and still risk getting burned. Your 3 is getting shot over or passed over. Best solution may be to double him up. Double Chet up and you are putting Timme in a one on one and that is likely not going to work out too well... also, you know it is freeing people up and most of the folks freed up are high caliber players. It is a matchup nightmare.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Just a note. Those who may doubt Bolton should look at his college videos it’s not that they que up his “best foot forward” stuff. He’s just a solid guard in all facets FT work in progress but he’s got the talent and he’s a veteran.

Starting:

Chet
    Timme
    Strawther
    Hickman/Bolton/Harris/Sallis
    Nembhard

For me, the only position with a whole lot of starter ambiguity is SG (could be wrong, obviously, especially at the 3 spot).

At any rate, I expect the SG backups to get a lot of minutes at both PG and SF as well.

No injuries, now…

- all the thoughts on who will starts has my mind about ready to explode.......a sugar rush perhaps
    - this i know, this team will score. we maybe just average to fair in 3 point shooting but take this to the bank, the zags will lead the country in scoring for a 4th straight year.
    - i think if i can find book on that in vegas i'll lay some money down.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Stats in the pro-am need to be taken with a grain of salt. It is a game designed to produce stats.
    For perspective, Isaiah Thomas scored 82 at this event a few weeks ago, and Payton Pritchard scored 92 at the Portland Pro-Am weekend before last (in a 165-163 win).

i would be SHOCKED if Nolan Hickman doesnt start from day 1. He will be a lottery pick 1 and done. He is SPECIAL.

Most everyone has ridiculous stats at these events, I pay little attention. With that said Hickman and Chet will be special from the newest crop, the others will have time to prove.
    America's Team!