Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48

Thread: Zags in Seattle Tomorrow (8/21)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,170

    Default Zags in Seattle Tomorrow (8/21)

    Just an FYI, Chet, Nolan, and Hunter all playing in The Crawsover tomorrow (Seattle Pro-Am league organized by Jamal Crawford). Looks like games start at noon at Seattle Pacific University, not sure which game the guys will be in but I'd imagine it's the last one. Usually a few former NBA guys playing, and some UW players will be there too. Should be a great way to get a glimpse of the young Zags!

    https://twitter.com/thecrawsover?ref...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Snorkeling the Washougal River
    Posts
    2,970

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by northsidezagfan View Post
    Just an FYI, Chet, Nolan, and Hunter all playing in The Crawsover tomorrow (Seattle Pro-Am league organized by Jamal Crawford). Looks like games start at noon at Seattle Pacific University, not sure which game the guys will be in but I'd imagine it's the last one. Usually a few former NBA guys playing, and some UW players will be there too. Should be a great way to get a glimpse of the young Zags!

    https://twitter.com/thecrawsover?ref...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    Any chance for streaming and/or TV access?



    :]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Any chance for streaming and/or TV access?



    :]
    Not an expert on the Crawsover but when Corey played in it 6 years ago it was on YouTube.

    https://youtu.be/udjU0vvjIgw

    "To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

    NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    5,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Not an expert on the Crawsover but when Corey played in it 6 years ago it was on YouTube.

    https://youtu.be/udjU0vvjIgw
    And he was kicking arse in that tournament...I remember watching Video of him playing...knew then he was going to be special...
    Last edited by Bogozags; 08-22-2021 at 02:12 AM.

  5. #5

    Default

    Full game highlights



    Chet highlights


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Snorkeling the Washougal River
    Posts
    2,970

    Smile Wow and Two-Thirds!

    All three Zags looked really good. Holmgren, though, looked otherworldly. How does a 7-footer dribble like that? C'mon, season! (Thanks, Sneaker, for the videos.)





    :]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Chet is a bizarre player (in a good way) - 7foot tall 18yr old guys just aren't that coordinated and fluid! His dribble, shot mechanics, body awareness, all seem too good to be real.

    I think regarding the impact he'll have for a single year in college, he will actually help GU more than Suggs did (and Suggs was great). Chet's just much more of a rare style and mismatch than even a Suggs was.

    I'm curious which 2 among Harris, Bolton, Hickman, Sallis, Strawther will prove to be major rotation guys and starters - maybe whomever is best from deep.

    Nembhard is an elite orchestrator, but not the physical "crusher" who will body up other guards on offense or defense (think Baylor backcourt). Maybe Bolton?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    919

    Default

    Chet is somehow better than people think. His floor is basically the 2nd pick in the draft.

    I remain convinced Hickman will eventually start this year. If not, he will play a huge role and likely be in the closing lineup for close games. He is a stud.
    Last edited by zagfan08; 08-22-2021 at 07:46 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Momís Basement
    Posts
    8,124

    Default

    It amazes me that Holmgren has already developed an effective fade-away jumper. He’s never really played against players that were tall enough for him to need that shot.

    This kid is a special player.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

  10. #10

    Default

    He plays with a mean streak. With Drew and Chet Gonzaga may have the most versatile tandem in college basketball and possibly the most hated by the other teams fans.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,742

    Default

    Does anyone have the stats for the GU players from the game?
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Does anyone have the stats for the GU players from the game?
    Holmgren 35 pts, 17 rebounds
    Sallis 25 pts 11 rebounds
    Hickman 20 pts, 8 rebounds, 10 assists

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Does anyone have the stats for the GU players from the game?
    Stats in the pro-am need to be taken with a grain of salt. It is a game designed to produce stats. That said, Chet had 35 points and 17 rebounds, Sallis 25 and 11 rebounds, Hickman 20, 10 assists, 8 rebounds.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Stats in the pro-am need to be taken with a grain of salt. It is a game designed to produce stats. That said, Chet had 35 points and 17 rebounds, Sallis 25 and 11 rebounds, Hickman 20, 10 assists, 8 rebounds.
    These 3 look like starters to me. Add Nemby and Tims, and stir.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    These 3 look like starters to me. Add Nemby and Tims, and stir.
    Kinda liking the quality depth on this edition of the Zags.

    "To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

    NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Kinda liking the quality depth on this edition of the Zags.
    That kind of depth with the preseason POY and preseason projected top pick. This team has more good players and better great players than any team we’ve had and it’s not particularly close. Exciting times.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Not to take away anything from these three.... they are definitely near the peak ... Pacific's transfer AA (From Utah St.) dropped 44 points on Sunday. The Pro-Am is geared for Stats. (IMO)

    https://twitter.com/NWBallers_/statu...5Es1_&ref_url=

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    These 3 look like starters to me. Add Nemby and Tims, and stir.
    Holmgren for sure but I doubt Few starts three freshmen.

    One of Morrison’s podcast episodes, when he interviewed Ayayi, indicated all the players know Few and staff know who the rotation players are gonna be before regular season practices start. It’s all about earning a spot in that rotation during summer and early fall workouts. Some fierce competition going on. With a nod to the veterans I’d guess:

    Nembhard vs Hickman
    Harris vs Bolton
    Strawther vs Sallis
    Holmgren vs Watson/Arlauskas
    Timme vs Gregg/ Perry

    Defense and better 3 pt shooting decides who gets the nod between Harris/Bolton and Strawther/Sallis.
    The only sure starters imo are Nembhard, Timme, Homgren.

    Only thing this team is missing is a big, beefy big man.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northsidezagfan View Post
    Holmgren 35 pts, 17 rebounds
    Sallis 25 pts 11 rebounds
    Hickman 20 pts, 8 rebounds, 10 assists
    Yikes

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,742

    Default

    Thanks for the stats. Appreciate it. Which of the other two played on Holmgren's team, and does anyone know their numbers. I have watched the videos to see Holmgren play; and now I'd like to watch it again to see the other two. Thanks
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, Wa.
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Holmgren for sure but I doubt Few starts three freshmen.

    Only thing this team is missing is a big, beefy big man.
    - i agree, but where would you find minutes for a big beefy player on this team, what with chet, drew, anton, ben and kayden either ahead of him or fighting for minutes?
    - perhaps situational games in which we hope to draw fouls from an opponent's 'big beefy player'

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    5,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - i agree, but where would you find minutes for a big beefy player on this team, what with chet, drew, anton, ben and kayden either ahead of him or fighting for minutes?
    - perhaps situational games in which we hope to draw fouls from an opponent's 'big beefy player'
    Just wondering if that might have been the main reason the Big Guy from Illinois chose to stay rather than transfer to GU?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    826

    Default

    Reborn, Chet was #1, Hickman#2, Sallis #3. All on the same team.
    Last edited by tummydoc; 08-22-2021 at 11:15 PM.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    888

    Default

    Nembhard
    Hickman
    Strawther
    Holmgren
    Timme

    Sallis is not better than Strawther, or Hickman right now, so there's that. Hunter adds a unique element with his insane length, transition game, and ability to find the open lane, yet very raw all around, esp within organized basketball....exactly where Hickman THRIVES.

    Strawther is one of Few's favorite players right now. Mr. Buckets with incredible feel. Needs to get tougher and more consistent effort, but his skill level is off-the-charts.

    Initially, I anticipated Bolton to get the start over Hickman & Co., yet hearing he has quite of bit of work to do in the "team chemistry" department. I'm sure he will be just fine, as he's surrounded by great coaches and teammates, yet has some learning/growing to do as a teammate.

    I attribute this his late arrival, and likely trying to prove himself, yet early reports have been...mixed. Good player, just a bit selfish on the court.

    He'll come around, finding his way, yet Hickman is as advertised. An elite pace to the game, knows how to involve others, and find ways to impact the game. Some growing pains, yet essentially a Nembhard clone with more "hops".

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Nembhard
    Hickman
    Strawther
    Holmgren
    Timme

    Sallis is not better than Strawther, or Hickman right now, so there's that. Hunter adds a unique element with his insane length, transition game, and ability to find the open lane, yet very raw all around, esp within organized basketball....exactly where Hickman THRIVES.

    Strawther is one of Few's favorite players right now. Mr. Buckets with incredible feel. Needs to get tougher and more consistent effort, but his skill level is off-the-charts.

    Initially, I anticipated Bolton to get the start over Hickman & Co., yet hearing he has quite of bit of work to do in the "team chemistry" department. I'm sure he will be just fine, as he's surrounded by great coaches and teammates, yet has some learning/growing to do as a teammate.

    I attribute this his late arrival, and likely trying to prove himself, yet early reports have been...mixed. Good player, just a bit selfish on the court.

    He'll come around, finding his way, yet Hickman is as advertised. An elite pace to the game, knows how to involve others, and find ways to impact the game. Some growing pains, yet essentially a Nembhard clone with more "hops".
    One thing we often forget is if you canít play within the system and play the way Coach wants then you probably wonít see much time and/or be on a short leash. GUís success is predicated on playing the system to a high degree of efficiency. And it seems in past years the importance of doing this on the defensive end is just as important as the other end.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •