Thread: Does Anyone Here Cycle?

Default Does Anyone Here Cycle?

I have been fighting some hip arthritis issues for the last year and half that has really cut into my running. I have been riding pretty faithfully for the last year and half as a replacement. I have always done a fair bit. I did a lot of mountain biking when I was in grad school at the University of Wyoming. The MTB riding there is nearly unparalleled. I could do 60 mile rides on backcountry jeep trails at 8-9,000 feet and had all levels of technical difficulty.

Here in VA I have primarily been road cycling. I upgraded my bike this last year and bought a used Cervelo carbon fiber road bike. I have been doing around 110 miles a week, usually knocking out a 20-25 mile ride in the early morning.

I know there is at least one other cyclist in here so I thought I would start this thread and see who all is out there.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I have been fighting some hip arthritis issues for the last year and half that has really cut into my running. I have been riding pretty faithfully for the last year and half as a replacement. I have always done a fair bit. I did a lot of mountain biking when I was in grad school at the University of Wyoming. The MTB riding there is nearly unparalleled. I could do 60 mile rides on backcountry jeep trails at 8-9,000 feet and had all levels of technical difficulty.

Here in VA I have primarily been road cycling. I upgraded my bike this last year and bought a used Cervelo carbon fiber road bike. I have been doing around 110 miles a week, usually knocking out a 20-25 mile ride in the early morning.

I know there is at least one other cyclist in here so I thought I would start this thread and see who all is out there.
    Been riding for a few years. Central California. Mostly flat, but get into some foothills. Bought an almost new Specialized from my brother in law. His health went sideways pretty fast and he couldn't use it. It's really helped me with my pitching. I play Senior League baseball and the leg work and the cardio has been a boost to my stamina. I pitched a ten inning game in my age group World Series last year in Phoenix. Also pitched two innings in four consecutive games over two days in a tournament in Las Vegas earlier this year.

I ride almost the same mileage as you. When I was young, I would get on my bike, a Raleigh, and ride to Yosemite. About 90 miles with some legit elevation gain. That was decades ago. Before I got the bike from my in-law, I rode it for about three months. When I switched to the Specialized, it felt like cheating. Haha

I ride my Cannondale Bad Boy 1 (belt) to and from work when I’m not on call. Five miles each way 2-3 times a week.
    My road bike is a Trek Malone 4.7. I try to get out once or twice a week.
    Between work, call and the rain, I’m considering a Peloton to help fill in the gaps. Does anyone own one?

I bought a Wahoo Kickr Core last year and put my old road bike on that. It was a pretty good alternative during the winter. I hooked it up with Rouvy and used it’s virtual rides.

I friend of mine does use Peleton. He got into good enough shape on it to do the Great Bike Ride Across Iowa.

How do you like the single fork on the Bad Boy? That still looks weird to me.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I bought a Wahoo Kickr Core last year and put my old road bike on that. It was a pretty good alternative during the winter. I hooked it up with Rouvy and used it’s virtual rides.

I friend of mine does use Peleton. He got into good enough shape on it to do the Great Bike Ride Across Iowa.

How do you like the single fork on the Bad Boy? That still looks weird to me.
    I like it. It’s different. I like different.
    The belt is low maintenance until I get a rear flat. Very hard to get off

I have a mountain bike and road bike. Both are single derailleur. I have been testing riding to the train station on my road bike to see if I can do it and it's not too bad. I want to ride to the train when I eventually go back to the office. It's all uphill on the way home though.

I have not gotten out on my mountain bike as much as I would have liked to this year, but I am planning some more rides for the fall.

Wife and I are planning on buying the nordictrack exercise bike when our bathroom remodel is done and we know what the final price is. We were turned off by the Peloton commercials.
    Bring back the OCC

I bought Specialized E mountain bike last year. Love it. Do 20 mile loops from my house. Live next to Laguna Canyon which has some fun trails.

I live on top of a ridge that made returning difficult after long rides…..not anymore.

Just bought some new wheels for my bike. Upgrading to some carbon fiber wheels from Hunt. Hoping they show up in a couple weeks. I think they are shipping from England.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

This is an example of some of the stuff cyclists have to put up with while simply trying to exercise.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a3780...UDqnWcSayo2By8

It is not at all uncommon for me to be honked at or have a driver go out of their way to try cutting me off while riding.

The rides I feel safest on are usually early in the morning. I try to get on the road by 6:00 AM to avoid traffic, even if it’s dark.

- Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

This is an example of some of the stuff cyclists have to put up with while simply trying to exercise.

It is not at all uncommon for me to be honked at or have a driver go out of their way to try cutting me off while riding.

The rides I feel safest on are usually early in the morning. I try to get on the road by 6:00 AM to avoid traffic, even if it’s dark.

People moan about our city expanding bike lanes, but drivers can be so reckless. We have quite a few nice trails around the city where you can avoid cars all together. It's harder to get all our bikes loaded now that our oldest two are riding 20" ones. I think we're going to need to get a hitch installed and one of the bike racks that attach. We went on a trail a few weeks ago, letting them ride while we walked/jogged after them. Our 3 year old was in the bike trailer with the stroller attachment, humming the Rocky Theme the entire time. I'm not sure if he thought he was doing a training montage or if he was doing it to motivate me to go faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    People moan about our city expanding bike lanes, but drivers can be so reckless. We have quite a few nice trails around the city where you can avoid cars all together. It's harder to get all our bikes loaded now that our oldest two are riding 20" ones. I think we're going to need to get a hitch installed and one of the bike racks that attach. We went on a trail a few weeks ago, letting them ride while we walked/jogged after them. Our 3 year old was in the bike trailer with the stroller attachment, humming the Rocky Theme the entire time. I'm not sure if he thought he was doing a training montage or if he was doing it to motivate me to go faster.
    I did an awesome ride on Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National Park last weekend. Just over 62 miles and a ton of climbing. It started out with a 21 mile climb that gained 2,700 feet of elevation, but it was phenomenal weather and conditions and drivers by and large were supportive. The honking we got was actually people cheering us on up particularly steep pitches.

I was pretty happy, I knocked the whole ride out in just at 4 hours, about 15 MPH for the whole ride. I did hit about 45 MPH on some of the descents!
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I did an awesome ride on Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National Park last weekend. Just over 62 miles and a ton of climbing. It started out with a 21 mile climb that gained 2,700 feet of elevation, but it was phenomenal weather and conditions and drivers by and large were supportive. The honking we got was actually people cheering us on up particularly steep pitches.

I was pretty happy, I knocked the whole ride out in just at 4 hours, about 15 MPH for the whole ride. I did hit about 45 MPH on some of the descents!
    That's awesome! I have a friend who takes the trail from here to DC once every summer, I'm not sure we'll ever get to that level, but it's nice knowing it's an option!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    That's awesome! I have a friend who takes the trail from here to DC once every summer, I'm not sure we'll ever get to that level, but it's nice knowing it's an option!
    I'm trying to convince a buddy of mine to do that. The two of us can ride and our wives can drive ahead, find nice B&Bs and wineries for us to stop at for the night. We could probably knock it in 3 or 4 days.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Maybe wear a body cam and record/report the most egregious ones. Let the Law have a talk with them.
    Document the dates that you sent in the reports, and if nothing gets done you can to to the media. They would love a story like that.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

I'm trying to convince a buddy of mine to do that. The two of us can ride and our wives can drive ahead, find nice B&Bs and wineries for us to stop at for the night. We could probably knock it in 3 or 4 days.
    There are some nice ones along the way, I know he's posted about them in the past, if you ever want recommendations I can ask. I think his wife biked it one year, but he's gone solo with a trailer of camping stuff too. Summer is the time to do it though because the mountains can be really cold and snowy. We drove through them and got quite a bit of snow one late April and the next day we got sun burned in 80degree Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Maybe wear a body cam and record/report the most egregious ones. Let the Law have a talk with them.
    Document the dates that you sent in the reports, and if nothing gets done you can to to the media. They would love a story like that.
    Yup. That is why I post stories like this as well.

- Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time