Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New game

If anyone else has tickets to games not worthy of their attendance please let me know as I know a large number of Zag fans who would love to go see a game --- (many times --half the fun is watching the students and their antics).

Go Zags

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    As a fan, alum, and season ticket holder I find the scheduling of these games embarrassing. Come on. We are better than this now.

I’m upset that I am paying for tickets to this game. We should have a floor below which we don’t schedule. My suggestion is the bottom third of Division 1.

There are plenty of teams we can scrimmage with in that range. This type of scheduling really is not very respectful to the season ticket holders. If I were an advertiser on Root /KHQ I’d also be less than thrilled. Generally speaking, watching the zags play teams like this has now become uninteresting.

Just my opinion, of course, but I know I’m not alone in feeling this way.
    At least this season the season ticket holders get Texas at K2 before Thanksgiving. Many project them as a top 5 team. I realize the game isn't in Spokane, but playing Alabama (another possible top 5 team) in Seattle is a biggie. I was hoping UW would turn it around under Hopkins, but it just hasn't happened yet. They are another K2 game this season. Still would like to see the Zags play a one off game vs. a good non-BCS team every season. Yes, they cost most money, but they at least challenge the Zags and provide some entertainment value. I remember one year GU played someone like Oral Roberts, who was picked by everyone to win their league. They won their regular season and postseason titles and enhanced GU's resume more than a team like Merrickman

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    At least this season the season ticket holders get Texas at K2 before Thanksgiving. Many project them as a top 5 team. I realize the game isn't in Spokane, but playing Alabama (another possible top 5 team) in Seattle is a biggie. I was hoping UW would turn it around under Hopkins, but it just hasn't happened yet. They are another K2 game this season. Still would like to see the Zags play a one off game vs. a good non-BCS team every season. Yes, they cost most money, but they at least challenge the Zags and provide some entertainment value. I remember one year GU played someone like Oral Roberts, who was picked by everyone to win their league. They won their regular season and postseason titles and enhanced GU's resume more than a team like Merrickman
    CDC—

See post #60 in this thread.

CDC—

See post #60 in this thread.

There is basic agreement here that:

* Zags top tier OOC is spectacular, perhaps glossiest ever
    * Zags need a couple of games with banana cream pies to work on stuff
    * The WCC is immutable

The only debate it seems to me is who are the other 4-5 OOC lesser foes — how strong should they be, how attractive their profile, from which section of the country, etc.

I don’t understand all the hand wringing, charges of ingratitude, personal attacks on anyone even slightly criticizing the program. There are 4-5 OOC spots in play. That’s it. Seems to me a wonderful opportunity for building our non basketball brand by playing stronger academics and others that lend warm light on GU.
    Last edited by jazzdelmar; 08-17-2021 at 07:07 AM.

I remember one year GU played someone like Oral Roberts, who was picked by everyone to win their league. They won their regular season and postseason titles and enhanced GU's resume more than a team like Merrickman
    Having just moved to Tulsa, I'd support having a renewable series with Oral Roberts where the Zags play here on occasion!
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Having just moved to Tulsa, I'd support having a renewable series with Oral Roberts where the Zags play here on occasion!
    I would support having a game, or two, at the Arena, so those Spokanites that have no hope of seeing a game in the Kennel, could still see their Zags in person.

I understand the economics that make that unlikely, just expressing a position.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Still would like to see the Zags play a one off game vs. a good non-BCS team every season. Yes, they cost most money, but they at least challenge the Zags and provide some entertainment value. I remember one year GU played someone like Oral Roberts, who was picked by everyone to win their league. They won their regular season and postseason titles and enhanced GU's resume more than a team like Merrickman
    I'm thinking this is the game you're thinking about, CDC. From the same city as ORU.
    http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...Gonzaga-(long)

However, (and the point of this long winded story) is the Zags' last regular season home game (Senior night for Zach and Winston). It was the Bracket Buster ESPN2 game against Tulsa -- won 69-60 by Gonzaga in front of a packed, rowdy Kennel and the National TV audience. Also in the house was Karl Benson, Commissioner of the WAC and a member of the NCAA Selection Committee.

I had a conversation with Mike Roth in '06 (or '07) about just how important it was for Gonzaga that Karl Benson was at that game. During the Selection Committee meetings -- Gonzaga was THE hot topic. The majority of the committee felt VERY strongly that 43 was too high an RPI to be considered "in" and really -- who HAD this mid-major (who couldn't even win their conference tourney) beaten to justify an invitation to the dance? Washington? (RPI of 161), Washington State? (RPI of 232). North Carolina State in the Jimmy V? (RPI of 53). This uppity Mid Major HAD their chance to make a statement and they HAD failed, losing to Indiana (RPI of 47), losing to Kentucky (RPI of 1), losing to Georgia (RPI of 5), losing to Stanford (RPI of 21), losing AT HOME to St. Joseph's (RPI of 27) - albeit the loss was by 1 in OT. They also had those two horrific conference losses -- to RPI 229 Loyola Marymount and AT HOME to RPI 241 Portland.

However, Karl Benson was in the room, and he had a voice. I don't know Karl Benson, but I understand him to be a persuasive gentleman. Because he had been in the Kennel for the Senior night OOC Bracketbuster game -- because he understood how tough mid major conference games can be (it's rare that any mid-major can go unscathed through conference), because he understood that this Gonzaga team DESERVED an invitation to the dance, he convinced the others to include the Zags, who were seeded at #9. But these Zags were soooo close to being left home.

That led to what Mike Roth (at the time) said was the most important NCAA tourney game in Zag history -- the opening round game against Huggins and Cincinnati. GU had been bounced in the first round the year before. Would it happen again? WAS Gonzaga to be simply another mid-major flash in the pan?

We all remember (at least most of us do) the 74-69 opening round win over the Bearcats as the United States of America was initiating "Shock and Awe" in Iraq. Then, the 96-95 double o.t. 2nd round loss to 1 seed Arizona. Gonzaga WASN'T going to "disappear" and Gonzaga WAS going to stay relevant -- thanks in large part to Bracketbusters.

Here's a side note -- Tulsa also made the dance that year as a 13 seed. They beat 4 seed Dayton in the opening round, then lost 61-60 to Wisconsin in the 2nd round in a game played in the Spokane Arena. In fact, the end of that game is on the GU/Arizona tape (in a cutaway to other action) that will eventually be placed on youtube by our good friend Tucsonzag).

So again -- Good Bye to Bracketbusters, but thanks for your huge, HUGE role in helping our Zags. And again, thanks to Karl Benson.

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

I was in the Pep Band that year, and thus at the Cincinnati and Arizona games there in SLC. What an incredible experience to be a part of.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Zags have UCLA, Duke, Alabama, Texas, Texas Tech, and Washington and people are on here griping because Few and Co want to help another small school out? Honestly, the complaints make us look far worse than the actual game itself. SMDH.
    Well said.

No Covid talk. Nein!! And NONE.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    No Covid talk. Nein!! And NONE.
    Abe

There has been no COVID talk. This is a thread about our home cupcake schedule. Nothing to do with COVID.

Abe

There has been no COVID talk. This is a thread about our home cupcake schedule. Nothing to do with COVID.

There was. The post is no longer there, deleted or removed...but it was there.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    There was. The post is no longer there, deleted or removed...but it was there.
    Yes it was. Well disposed.