Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New game

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I don't know everything but is it possible that Coach Few or another member of the staff knows and maybe is friends with the staff members of that institution and is giving them this guaranteed game for a reason we don't know about...things like this do happen...but then again, I could be wrong...
    If true, that should be disclosed, don’t you think?

I was giving Gonzaga the benefit of the doubt......that this was the best team available on that date.....

If I would have done something like that in my job ......I would have been fired and probably sent to jail......nepotism .....

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    If true, that should be disclosed, don’t you think?
    Jazz,

No, I don't think it "should" necessarily be disclosed...we are just fans of this program and we should not expect the staff to share the nature of all their professional friendships. Coach Few and his staff are not bound by any code to share why they chose to make any kind of move...Again, that isn't to say this is the reason why this game came about..FYI - Coach Few, to the best of my recollection, has never disclosed why players transfer or other player developmental issues...heck, he may just want to throw a "bone" to this school...

I guess it's part of the formula for GU lead the nation in points per game and margin of victory etc.

Look at any top 10 team in the country and everybody will have games like this on their schedule. Gonzaga’s will probably have fewer than most.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Look at any top 10 team in the country and everybody will have games like this on their schedule. Gonzaga’s will probably have fewer than most.
    Doesn’t hold water. You know the counter to that. WCC vs ACC regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Jazz,

No, I don't think it "should" necessarily be disclosed...we are just fans of this program and we should not expect the staff to share the nature of all their professional friendships. Coach Few and his staff are not bound by any code to share why they chose to make any kind of move...Again, that isn't to say this is the reason why this game came about..FYI - Coach Few, to the best of my recollection, has never disclosed why players transfer or other player developmental issues...heck, he may just want to throw a "bone" to this school...
    Of course no requirement. Just saying if any number of good reasons — sportsmanship, bone throwing, ex assistant at the helm — were present why not disclose. Love to see GU play a HBCU program once a year, for example.

Of course no requirement. Just saying if any number of good reasons — sportsmanship, bone throwing, ex assistant at the helm — were present why not disclose. Love to see GU play a HBCU program once a year, for example.
    Maybe like the old days when Fitz brought in Brewster Packing

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilGolfZag View Post
    Maybe like the old days when Fitz brought in Brewster Packing
    More like a struggling Jesuit program like Fordham. Now you’re helping. No explanation necessary, same 30 point game. Another would be the Cross. Merrimack was 287 on KenPom last year. That’s embarrassing.

Doesn’t hold water. You know the counter to that. WCC vs ACC regular season.
    Why do we need a counter? We can’t schedule 15 top 25 teams to start the year because we don’t play in a power 5. Four 1 seeds in the last 8 tourneys, 2 championships games in the last 4 tourneys. Seems like Few’s scheduling has been working out just fine.

Jazz yes, it would be nice to know if there is a specific reason we are playing a team that has yet to be accepted into D1 and I completely agree that HBCU programs should be on our schedule for several reasons...

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Why do we need a counter? We can’t schedule 15 top 25 teams to start the year because we don’t play in a power 5. Four 1 seeds in the last 8 tourneys, 2 championships games in the last 4 tourneys. Seems like Few’s scheduling has been working out just fine.
    Ask the season ticket holders.

I think we should schedule nothing but teams in the 300’s. When GU starts the season winning at least their first 29 games, we make the national championship game 100% of the time. If we lose before that we make the national championship 0%. Can’t argue with facts.

I like watching the big matchups but I know scheduling is difficult and I know it’s a balancing act. Going into every year I can circle 10-12 games I’m SUPER excited for, the rest I’m just excited for. I still like watching these lower competition games, I know they’re good for growth, and I always like seeing some of the bench get a few minutes to see the future. I’m looking forward to a more normal season and hopefully fans will actually be able to be in attendance.

If anyone doesn't want to go to this game please let me know. I'm a vet, was stationed at Fairchild from 94-2000 as a Survival (SERE) instructor and that's when I started rooting for Gonzaga. I'll gladly bring my wife over from Montana to watch the game. Feel free to pm me your prices.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    If anyone doesn't want to go to this game please let me know. I'm a vet, was stationed at Fairchild from 94-2000 as a Survival (SERE) instructor and that's when I started rooting for Gonzaga. I'll gladly bring my wife over from Montana to watch the game. Feel free to pm me your prices.
    Iowa, what you think of the ballgame in Dyersville?

NOT a good look

It’s the business of college sports IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    NOT a good look

It’s the business of college sports IMO
    Agree. Gonzaga has been the deservedly applauded first mover in adapting so many revolutionary CBB practices, most notably anytime, anywhere. One would think having reached apex mountain of the sport it would be a lot more creative in lining up name brand breathers, cum cupcakes, rather than the easy route of dropping a line into the bottom of the KenPom barrel. It’s done such a magnificent job with the top tier comp, it’s almost like the AD’s j.v. fills in the blanks.

Really not a big deal

Strength of schedule is a very real metric used when ranking teams so it is certainly something that should be considered when scheduling. I get the team needs tune up games but I think we should be avoiding the bottom of the barrel just to keep those numbers up. It also helps to have a higher SOS to avoid giving ammo to the “they don’t play anyone” commenters.

Roth and Company schedule like this to provide material to keyboard warriors in an otherwise “down” time of the year

We have a very ambitious schedule. We’re lucky to have what we have. No more Complainimg . Ifyou were at GU in the 60’s or 70’s you wouldn’t complain. Even on behalf of the season ticket holders. We need games like this to get some practice and see how we are and what we need to do as we enter further OOC games and thenThe league.

There has been discussion about anonymous 1 Stars from time to time. I am not going to discretely do it. I am admitting it freely …. in a moment I will click “1” star on this (to me) oft repeated topic. GoZags.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I would rather see them play Whitworth or Whitman or certainly Eastern, Western, or Central Washington.....
    - yes any of the later 3 teams mentioned would be better than merrimack, and i'd bet they'd do back flips to make their schedule available for any date.
    - i get it that all teams have 2 or 3 cupcakes each year that make your eyebrows rise up, but team gonzaga could and in my opinion should do better than this (and i do not mean any disrespect for merrimack, good for them stepping up in class)

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    There has been discussion about anonymous 1 Stars from time to time. I am not going to discretely do it. I am admitting it freely …. in a moment I will click “1” star on this (to me) oft repeated topic. GoZags.
    Thanks for letting us know you think we are all idiots. That’s a helpful way to elevate the discussion.

By the way, to this day I have never seen or noticed the “star” ranking feature on this board and I don’t care to. I can read posts myself and make up my own mind whether they are naughty or nice. I try to actually explain and share my thoughts and position. That way nobody is left to wonder. And who knows: Maybe once in a while someone else may learn something. And vice versa.

I never learned any life lessons from any rating system with stars—other than not to get the five star dishes at my local Thai restaurant if I wanted to enjoy the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    Thanks for letting us know you think we are all idiots. That’s a helpful way to elevate the discussion.

By the way, to this day I have never seen or noticed the “star” ranking feature on this board and I don’t care to. I can read posts myself and make up my own mind whether they are naughty or nice. I try to actually explain and share my thoughts and position. That way nobody is left to wonder. And who knows: Maybe once in a while someone else may learn something. And vice versa.

I never learned any life lessons from any rating system with stars—other than not to get the five star dishes at my local Thai restaurant if I wanted to enjoy the next day.
    I think “the” discussion … the EXACT same discussion … with the EXACT same players saying the EXACT same thing has happened every year (and some times multiple times a year) for at least the past decade and a half. Which is, to me worthy of a 1 Star rating. But that is just my opinion.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0