Thread: Three Man Weave BYU Preview

Default Three Man Weave BYU Preview

Three Man Weave is counting up with team previews, and they just got to #25 BYU.

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/byu-2022-preview

Full list of previews here, including #28 Texas Tech and #34 Arizona:

https://www.three-man-weave.com/conference-previews-1

Smile

Methinks BYU brings it this year. Glad to see Mark Pope at the helm. The game in Provo this year could be the WCC Gem of the Year. Or, maybe a bit later, the WCC Championship Showdown could be the gem.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Oh good, another year of hyping up BYU in the preseason. Here's my bold prediction--First Four, and eliminated before actually getting to the Round of 64. Just like every year. Wash, rinse, repeat. Wake me up if it ever changes.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Oh good, another year of hyping up BYU in the preseason. Here's my bold prediction--First Four, and eliminated before actually getting to the Round of 64. Just like every year. Wash, rinse, repeat. Wake me up if it ever changes.
    Truth.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Methinks BYU brings it this year. Glad to see Mark Pope at the helm. The game in Provo this year could be the WCC Gem of the Year. Or, maybe a bit later, the WCC Championship Showdown could be the gem.

There seem to be two narratives every year, and both can be bona fide. But I agree that on objective measures of hanging banners, BYU hasn't hung a single one since joining the WCC, unless you count "Tournament Appearance." BYU hasn't won a regular season title, or WCC title, or any meaningful NCAA game. It's biggest wins are the occasional "we beat Gonzaga" games, and as much as an accomplishment as it feels like, you can't hang that banner.

Compliments to having a dedicated fanbase an bringing great resources to the conference. That is nothing to ignore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Pope is 44-15 in his two years with KenPom finishes of 13 and 20. 6 seed last year who ended up playing a pretty decent UCLA team that GU struggled to beat. Was also predicted to have a 5 seed 2 years ago when the tourney was cancelled. I think there has definitely been improvement since he took over.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Pope is 44-15 in his two years with KenPom finishes of 13 and 20. 6 seed last year who ended up playing a pretty decent UCLA team that GU struggled to beat. Was also predicted to have a 5 seed 2 years ago when the tourney was cancelled. I think there has definitely been improvement since he took over.
    That was the direction I was going, too. Getting beat by UCLA last year wasn't a bad deal in the end.

I think now it's becoming the destination again for the best LDS players, and it might become a positive feedback loop.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

no defense

BYU has had some good teams and good players. I've just heard too many predictions about this is the year they're going to take a big step forward. Maybe having a new coach will be the difference, 2 years in isn't very long. We'll see. I'm kind of a skeptic I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    That was the direction I was going, too. Getting beat by UCLA last year wasn't a bad deal in the end.

I think now it's becoming the destination again for the best LDS players, and it might become a positive feedback loop.
    Banners trump analytics. Banners continue to evade them. That may change, but it hasn't yet.
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Banners trump analytics. Banners continue to evade them. That may change, but it hasn't yet.
    Just a difference in standards. I think being one of the 20 best teams is pretty good, I don’t think they need to be better than Gonzaga to be good. I also am looking at just Pope’s tenure because I think he’s a better coach than Rose was. Rose had a lot of talent at BYU at times and seemed to underachieve, while I think Pope has overachieved.

Just a difference in standards. I think being one of the 20 best teams is pretty good, I don’t think they need to be better than Gonzaga to be good. I also am looking at just Pope’s tenure because I think he’s a better coach than Rose was. Rose had a lot of talent at BYU at times and seemed to underachieve, while I think Pope has overachieved.
    I agree with all of that.
    Go Zags!!!

I haven't looked at their non-conference schedule yet, but I sure hope they are not just playing cupcakes. It would be nice to have a conference foe be an analytical boost rather than a clunk

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Methinks BYU brings it this year. Glad to see Mark Pope at the helm. The game in Provo this year could be the WCC Gem of the Year. Or, maybe a bit later, the WCC Championship Showdown could be the gem

I have very mixed feelings about Pope. I know he will encourage a style of play that is tougher than what we will see from the rest of the conference but I believe he will also encourage his players to act like thugs when they can get away with it. No evidence for this but the worst years for Dave Rose teams playing with gorilla tactics were those years when he had Pope as his assistant. I don’t mind hard physical games but I don’t want to see the cheap shot Kafusi years returning to BYU. I hope I’m wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    I haven't looked at their non-conference schedule yet, but I sure hope they are not just playing cupcakes. It would be nice to have a conference foe be an analytical boost rather than a clunk
    BYU is the one WCC team that usually plays a decent schedule. This year’s schedule so far:
    @ Utah
    Home vs San Diego St and Utah St
    Oregon in Portland
    Creighton in South Dakota
    Iona (Pitino) in MSG
    Diamond Head Classic (3 games)
    Some other mid majors and 3 games left to schedule

@ Utah
    Iona (Pitino) in MSG
    The Utah game is standard fair for BYU and Utah. I like the MWC match ups with SDSU and Utah State. Iona? I just love that you put "Pitino" in parenthesis. I agree that regardless of the team, anytime you go against Pitino is good for ratings.
    Go Zags!!!

BYU is the one WCC team that usually plays a decent schedule. This year’s schedule so far:
    @ Utah
    Oregon in Portland
    Iona (Pitino) in MSG
    Diamond Head Classic (3 games)
    Some other mid majors and 3 games left to schedule
    That is very impressive.....

Smile Yes, NCAA disappointers

BYU has had some good teams and good players. I've just heard too many predictions about this is the year they're going to take a big step forward. Maybe having a new coach will be the difference, 2 years in isn't very long. We'll see. I'm kind of a skeptic I guess.
    Yes, our conference mates have had a hideous record in the Big Dance. I think BYU's team in the canceled-tourney season would've made the Sweet 16, maybe the Elite 8. They played a great game against us in Provo. I don't expect this year's squad to be that good, however. Top-25 good? Yeah, I think so.

But, yeah, Tourney-wise, BYU and SMC have been (largely) stinkers. (There was that year, however, when SMC beat 2-Seed Villanova. Sweet for them, sweet for the conference.)

Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

tactics like Emory looking down at the face of a foe and with closed fist hitting foes head as hard as he could? ...

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    tactics like Emory looking down at the face of a foe and with closed fist hitting foes head as hard as he could? ...
    It is well known that he is a troubled person recovering from personal demons. I can't explain the rest of the program's pedigree of violence across football and basketball.
    Go Zags!!!

Well known felons should not be on a basketball court or turned loose by a decent
    Coach if player is violent. For any reason.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Well known felons should not be on a basketball court or turned loose by a decent
    Doc,
    Are. you saying he was a convicted felon before he played Bball for BYU...I had no idea...

NO Bogo! lololo He's like a goatherder...........speaking of Afghanistan! lolololol Sorry I am laughing.

NO Bogo! lololo He's like a goatherder...........speaking of Afghanistan! lolololol Sorry I am laughing.
    Ok, got it now...I am older than I was yesterday (Thank God!) but ...

Except that he's not a felon, you have no argument from me. I am tired by BYU's antics on the hardwood and the turf. It is a culture that breeds entitlement, so when they get hit in the face with reality, they don't know what to do with the frustration.
    Go Zags!!!