Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GU vs UW

Default GU vs UW

Points per game when playing against each other. The last two games were closer than they should have been.

Cool visual. Does anyone expect UW to stick around against GU? Is there a reason to play them for the time being, except for TV viewership?
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

I think regional rivalry games should be encouraged, even as teams' fortunes move up and down. IMO the fan interest they generate makes up for any mismatch in a given year's game.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    I think regional rivalry games should be encouraged, even as teams' fortunes move up and down. IMO the fan interest they generate makes up for any mismatch in a given year's game.
    I could not agree more......

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Is there a reason to play them for the time being, except for TV viewership?
    Two reasons:

1). To continue to add to the record of domination to keep it crystal clear what program is best in this state and in the West.

2). I am told, given our brutal nonconference schedule otherwise, that we do need to schedule 4-6 games every year against lesser competition to get the bottom half of the bench and the newcomers some division I experience outside the context of top 25 competition. So we basically “need” a few cupcakes. I am all in favor of the cupcake being UW from the PAC 12 as opposed to the Alcorn State and Texas Southern type cupcake/scrimmage games—even if this means we play a worse team in UW, which is a distinct possibility.

Recruiting is the Seattle Area is reason enough....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Recruiting is the Seattle Area is reason enough....
    +1
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post

2). I am told, given our brutal nonconference schedule otherwise, that we do need to schedule 4-6 games every year against lesser competition to get the bottom half of the bench and the newcomers some division I experience outside the context of top 25 competition. So we basically “need” a few cupcakes. I am all in favor of the cupcake being UW from the PAC 12 as opposed to the Alcorn State and Texas Southern type cupcake/scrimmage games—even if this means we play a worse team in UW, which is a distinct possibility.
    Ouch, that's a really cheap shot. Alcorn St. better than UW? Hey they had a good thing going from '80-'84, but basically haven't been heard from since.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Ouch, that's a really cheap shot. Alcorn St. better than UW? Hey they had a good thing going from '80-'84, but basically haven't been heard from since.
    And UW has?
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Recruiting in the Seattle area plus another opportunity for Seattle alumni to watch the team in person. More than that, UW Gonzaga should be played every year. I was at the games in 2005-06 and 06-07 and hope UW can get back to a level close to that sometime because those games were two of the most fun I’ve ever attended in any sport—and that is not a small list.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    And UW has?
    Come on. A low major who has had 2 Tourney appearances in 35 years compared to a P5 who had a fairly decent run of success this century?

The last 2 GU-UW games have had margins of 2 and 7 points. What is the likelihood Alcorn St. would stay that close?

Come on. A low major who has had 2 Tourney appearances in 35 years compared to a P5 who had a fairly decent run of success this century?

The last 2 GU-UW games have had margins of 2 and 7 points. What is the likelihood Alcorn St. would stay that close?
    Love yanking your chain. But disagree that they have had a decent run of success this century averaging 6th place in a conference of 12
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

I am not sure what you mean but a decent run of success. Since 2000, UW has made the tournament a total of 6 times. In those six visits, they have made the sweet 16 four times. They have lost all four times in the sweet 16. That is not a bad or horrific record. But given the level of NBA talent that they had during much of that run, a good argument can be made that no program in America really did less with more than UW in this interval.

Last year they were 5-21 and 129 in Kenpom at year end. No, they are not a cupcake on the order of Alcorn State--that comment was made partly in jest. But the point I made stands: if we need some weak competition that is not top-25, tournament caliber--UW is a GREAT option. We get to scrimmage against an opponent we will likely run out of the gym, but it still has the patina of respectability about it because of their conference affiliation and their status as the flagship public university in our state.

If we can slot them in and drop a Texas Southern or a USC Upstate, I am all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    I am not sure what you mean but a decent run of success. Since 2000, UW has made the tournament a total of 6 times. In those six visits, they have made the sweet 16 four times. They have lost all four times in the sweet 16. That is not a bad or horrific record. But given the level of NBA talent that they had during much of that run, a good argument can be made that no program in America really did less with more than UW in this interval.

Last year they were 5-21 and 129 in Kenpom at year end. No, they are not a cupcake on the order of Alcorn State--that comment was made partly in jest. But the point I made stands: if we need some weak competition that is not top-25, tournament caliber--UW is a GREAT option. We get to scrimmage against an opponent we will likely run out of the gym, but it still has the patina of respectability about it because of their conference affiliation and their status as the flagship public university in our state.

If we can slot them in and drop a Texas Southern or a USC Upstate, I am all for it.
    I think you answered your own question. There is no comparison between UW and Alcorn St. I wasn't trying to hype up UW.

Texas Southern has actually shown themselves to be capable of being competitive w/ P5 teams. Notice I wasn't bagging on them at all. But generally speaking there is absolutely no reason to schedule anybody from leagues like the SWAC, ever. Why not just schedule Big Sky or Big West schools instead?

The last time Gonzaga played UW in 2019 at Hec I believe both teams were ranked and it was a very competitive game.....

.....and after the game the Gonzaga players commented on the great atmosphere and implied (at least to me) that they would like to see the Kennel show the same kind of fan support......

I have no idea what happened to that program lately but I am sure they intend to be competitive in the PAC....and that is a very good Conference...as they demonstrated in the Tournament .....

Seattle high school basketball talent is so good, it’s hard to imaging how they haven’t been better.

I think you answered your own question. There is no comparison between UW and Alcorn St. I wasn't trying to hype up UW.

Texas Southern has actually shown themselves to be capable of being competitive w/ P5 teams. Notice I wasn't bagging on them at all. But generally speaking there is absolutely no reason to schedule anybody from leagues like the SWAC, ever. Why not just schedule Big Sky or Big West schools instead?
    I agree with you. We should simply not schedule any sub - 200 Kenpom teams. Ever. There are plenty of easy wins to be had in the 50-200 range.

Mike Roth clearly did not see it the same way. Here is hoping Chris Standiford sees things more like you and I do.

It is good to once a year have an actual scoreboard that shows the Zags are the number one men's basketball program in Washington.
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

We also don't have to pay them for the gave so it's a good revenue source

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    I think it's a shame we dropped WSU. Cougs played GU when we were the underdog for decades and then we dumped them when we are on top. Over 76 meetings we have a 32-44 record. Why not play them instead of Dixie St or Tarelton etc...? WSU is much better than those programs.

ZZ

It just doesn't make any sense to me at all that we play pay games with teams that have no local interest or alumni .....none.....and I think I have heard all the rationalizations ....why send that money out of the Northwest ? Perhaps the new AD will take a look at that....

Many of those teams played Gonzaga when we couldn't draw flies much less fans...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    It just doesn't make any sense to me at all that we play pay games with teams that have no local interest or alumni .....none.....and I think I have heard all the rationalizations ....why send that money out of the Northwest ? Perhaps the new AD will take a look at that....

Many of those teams played Gonzaga when we couldn't draw flies much less fans...
    Yup, still vividly remember WSU at Kennedy when the house was literally bursting at the seam with thousands of fans.

Doctor Jerry was so patient to listen to my opinions....but when he ran out of patience or time he would point out that most of the people that remember those games were dead....and that there would be even fewer next year.....cold...

He also pointed out that some of those teams wanted a home and home and that Gonzaga would not play a home and home with teams with poor RPI's ...and that scheduling was hard !!!.....

I wish we would at least play one of them each season, WSU , UW.
    With Romar long gone, there is no reason for us to be the prima donna and snub these schools. The lower one of them goes the better it fits our coaching staff's need to play several low ranked teams each year. It also gives more than words and lip service to most of Zag Nation who are locked out of the McCarthey center for decades at a time. Give your local fans a chance to see the boys play in person somehow.

Smile

With the WSU coaching upgrade, this fan thinks we ought to reschedule WSU again. If not yearly, then alternate years. The UW series should be extended out to infinity. It's the natural state rivalry game. Betting UW fans crave beating the Zags more than their PAC12 in-staters. GU vs. UW also "looks good" as a national game. Finally, is there a better feeling than beating the Muttlake Mutts? (Okay, other than beating Duke and Muttlake?)

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!