Thread: Report Shows Massive Gender Inequity in NCAA Basketball

Default Report Shows Massive Gender Inequity in NCAA Basketball

From Sports Illustrated:

Report Shows Massive Gender Inequity in NCAA Basketball, Recommends Combined Final Four
    Joseph Salvador

The NCAA's external review on gender equity highlights the systemic inequity between men's and women's athletics

The NCAA's external review on gender equity was released on Tuesday, highlighting staggering systemic inequity between men's and women's athletics—specifically in Division I basketball.

Among other recommendations, the report says the NCAA should combine the women's and men's Finals Four into a single weekend at the same venue.
    You can read the entire article here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...?ocid=msedgntp
    Another article on the same subject: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...?ocid=msedgntp
    Comments by Kelly Graves on the Report:

"There was more of a feeling of a tournament in Indianapolis," said Graves, the Oregon women's college basketball coach whose son, Will, played for Gonzaga's men's team. "It just seemed like a much bigger deal there than in San Antonio."

Graves said he wasn't sure how much of that was on the NCAA, and how much on the two cities. But he said in general, the findings in the report -- done by the Kaplan Hecker & Fink law firm -- didn't surprise those in the women's basketball world.

"I guess they just put out there what we already knew," Graves said. "The food options, the hotels you stay in, the weight room facilities, the gift bags ... I mean, come on. I can't believe we're still having to see disparities in those areas."
    You can read the rest of the ESPN article Here: https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...tigates-change

Can we say we are surprised by the findings, I think not.

What say you Lady Zag fans, should the NCAA combine the men's and women's finals four into a single weekend at the same venue?

ZagDad

It is pure folly to proclaim equality..... there is a difference between equal opportunity and equal outcomes .....perhaps we should abandon the concept of "separate but equal" and integrate sports like we did the schools......as Chief Justice Warren wrote in Plessy v. Ferguson.....

Although I can see logistical issues, i.e., enough hotel rooms, etc, I think it might be a positive for fans. Not having to choose between going to one or the other would be a plus. However, that does not address the first two weekends. How do we get equality on those weekends. That seems like a pure $$ issue.

Slightly as an aside...When my Dad taught at U of Montana, at first they had the women's games before the men's games. Your ticket would get you into either or both. The end result was most women's games ended up with full stands. Those were the days with Mike Montgomery as head coach and Larry Kristowiak, followed by Wayne Tinkle as stars.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

How much money does the women's tournament generate?

Should the volleyball teams merit the same goodie bags as the men's basketball or football teams?

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post

Should the volleyball teams merit the same goodie bags as the men's basketball or football teams?
    Women's Volleyball teams should merit the same goodie bags as the men's volleyball teams. Men's basketball and football have nothing to do with women's volleyball.

I don't think they are trying to equalize the sports, just the differences between the genders in each sport.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Slightly as an aside...When my Dad taught at U of Montana, at first they had the women's games before the men's games. Your ticket would get you into either or both. The end result was most women's games ended up with full stands. Those were the days with Mike Montgomery as head coach and Larry Kristowiak, followed by Wayne Tinkle as stars.
    Great way to build interest in the Women's game as long as you are willing to trade the potential increase in interest in the women's game for the decrease in ticket sales. In the case of GU, the women's team averages over 5,000 fans per game, so even if you did have doubleheaders, a single ticket would never get you into both games. Too much loss in revenue.

Zagdad

Quote Originally Posted by Zaglaw View Post
    Although I can see logistical issues, i.e., enough hotel rooms, etc, I think it might be a positive for fans. Not having to choose between going to one or the other would be a plus. However, that does not address the first two weekends. How do we get equality on those weekends. That seems like a pure $$ issue.
    We have a sample of that model in the WCC tournament. I love the fact that in one week, I can see the entire tournament (both men's and women's games) without having to change hotels, venues or locations. It is great for the fans. However, while BYU and GU could essentially fill up the Orleans by themselves for a men's game, it is entirely different on the women's side. On the women's side, GU has more fans at any given game (whether the Lady Zags are playing or not) than any of the other WCC Wbb teams. It is especially bad for BYU which could fill up the entire Orleans (what 7,500 capacity?) for a men's game but the Lady Zag fans out number the cougar fans for a Lady Cougar game when they aren't playing Gonzaga. Some schools don't even bring pep bands or cheer squads to the early Wbb games, but they make it for the Mbb games. If the schools don't want to support their Wbb team, hard for the fans to get behind the team. For a semi-final game GU fans may fill up the Orleans at 50% capacity (possibly less) and for championship game the Lady Zag fans may fill up the Orleans to 70% capacity. There are a lot of Gonzaga Mbb fans that could care less about the Lady Zags and don't support them even when they are playing for the WCC championship. It is what it is.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    No where near what CBS pays for the rights to March Madness.

A quick google found this:

ESPN pays the NCAA roughly $36 million per year to broadcast 24 other NCAA championships, including the women’s basketball tournament. Kathleen McNeely, the NCAA’s chief financial officer, told The New York Times that women’s basketball accounts for 15.9% of the ESPN contract’s value, per a third-party assessment.
    Basically, March Madness is the NCAA’s bread and butter. One of the most lucrative contracts connected with the tournament is the one for the broadcast rights. In 2010, the NCAA signed a 14-year, $10.8 billion contract with CBS Sports and Turner Broadcasting, paid over the term. The deal was extended in April 2016 for an additional $8.8 billion that will keep the tournament on the networks until 2032. According to the NCAA, about 96% of the money that it collects immediately flows out to the member schools. It’s the only system in place that assigns a monetary value based on athletic performance.
    A 2017 Article from the Hartford Courant:

Glory For Women, Money For Men In NCAA Basketball Tournament
    By ANDREW ZIMBALIST
    MAR 29, 2017

On the men's side, for each game a team plays up to the championship game, the NCAA pays the team's conference $266,183. Thus, if the team goes all the way to the finals, it earns its conference just a shade under $1.6 million in 2017. The NCAA then also pays this $1.6 million to the conference for each of the following five years, so the total disbursement to the conference would be $9.6 million. For instance, if Oregon beats North Carolina in the semi-finals on April 1, the NCAA will pay out $9.6 million to the Pac-12 over the next six years. (The Pac-12 and most conferences then divide this booty equally among its members.)

Now, suppose the UConn women beat Mississippi State on March 31. How much will the NCAA send to the American Athletic Conference?

Zippo! That's right. Zippo.

One way or the other, the NCAA has a wrong-headed and discriminatory distribution policy. Title IX made gender equity in higher education the law of the land back in the 1972. Male and female athletes are supposed to be treated equally. Yet 45 years after the passage of Title IX, women are 43.4 percent of all college athletes, yet they constitute 57 percent of the all undergraduate students Women's sports receive 31. 6 percent as much travel money as men's sports, 29.1 percent as much recruiting resources, 21.6 percent as much for equipment and supplies, and 16 percent as much for overall operating expenses.

Title IX has a long way to go and the NCAA's distribution policy is not helping.
    ZagDad

Same game… two different worlds.

Sadly, there are very few Universities and their fan base that equal GU WBB. That means less fans and less revenue to support the sport.

Some of us on the board have followed GU WBB for many years and have seen the fan base go from 500 to 5000. That hasn’t happened at many of the other Universities… hence not a lot of funding for their programs. What they need to do is ask GU how they were able to increase their fan base…

As for the NCAA providing the same dance for the women as the men… same game different worlds. Don’t know if they can… but they need to try.

As for paying the players for their name and image… do you think the women will get the same offers??

I switched to women’s BB years ago and to be honest… they play a better game of BB.

Go Zags!!

Time for CLF to start getting the interest for the team and this season going…. Been way to quite on the websites.

The inequities are not limited to BB.

I see at the Olympics, the women's gold medal game is scheduled for Friday’ where the weather forecast for 11 a.m. here calls for sunshine, temperatures in the low 90s, dew points at 70 or above and a heat index of about 97.

When is the men's gold medal game scheduled, Saturday at 8:30 Pm.

Yep, nothing is changed.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Gonzaga did that for some games when I was a student. That was back when a student ID got you into both games for free.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    The inequities are not limited to BB.

I see at the Olympics, the women's gold medal game is scheduled for Friday’ where the weather forecast for 11 a.m. here calls for sunshine, temperatures in the low 90s, dew points at 70 or above and a heat index of about 97.

When is the men's gold medal game scheduled, Saturday at 8:30 Pm.

Yep, nothing is changed.

ZagDad
    Props to the IOC.

They moved the Women's Gold Medal Soccer game to 9:00 PM to avoid the stifling heat of the early afternoon.

Now that was not so hard was it.

ZagDad