Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Zags in Summer League 2021

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    The single reason Jalen might’ve stayed was to play with his buddy, and that thought dissipated real fast.
    I am just poking fun at doc ( I hope he knows that it is good natured fun) and others who will almost always opine that a player should stay in school....and sometimes they should....

but my default position is that a potential pro should turn pro asap because they will only have a dozen years or so to play at that level and can always go to college.......

Jalen maybe the first to leave early without someone suggesting that it was a mistake.....

Joel had a nice game last night in the minutes and possessions he was given. seemed to be the only player that let the game come to him. Had a few good takes, found some open teammates. Not sure what the Lakers see in just about any of the other players on the court. likely some homerism but Ayayi looks to me head and shoulders more composed and complete of a player than all others sharing the court. would not be surprised if he makes the lakers roster but he needs to start hitting from deep, that will be the big caveat with available roster spots for the lakers this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I am just poking fun at doc ( I hope he knows that it is good natured fun) and others who will almost always opine that a player should stay in school....and sometimes they should....

but my default position is that a potential pro should turn pro asap because they will only have a dozen years or so to play at that level and can always go to college.......

Jalen maybe the first to leave early without someone suggesting that it was a mistake.....
    With tears, I think the Bonus' exit was spot on. Maybe KO, as well. But the majority of leavers were premature, IMO. With NWG as the one who left the most on the table as a college player.

Quote Originally Posted by zags422 View Post
    Joel had a nice game last night in the minutes and possessions he was given. seemed to be the only player that let the game come to him. Had a few good takes, found some open teammates. Not sure what the Lakers see in just about any of the other players on the court. likely some homerism but Ayayi looks to me head and shoulders more composed and complete of a player than all others sharing the court. would not be surprised if he makes the lakers roster but he needs to start hitting from deep, that will be the big caveat with available roster spots for the lakers this year.
    He's going to have a solid decade or more in the NBA. He doesn't need to score a lot (or create his own shots) in summer league because that's not what he'll be doing with the Lakers this year.

T'was a mock. Recognized immediately only to be shunned!!

San Antonio Spurs vs. Charlotte Spurs on now on ESPNU (#621). Zach Norvell is on the roster for the Spurs in the Box Score, But I don't expect he'll be called on to play.

With tears, I think the Bonus' exit was spot on. Maybe KO, as well. But the majority of leavers were premature, IMO. With NWG as the one who left the most on the table as a college player.
    Well as you might expect...I disagree...most were never going to go to the NBA no matter how many years they played at Gonzaga....and now many of them are multi millionaires ...... including Goss....Many are called to the NBA but few are chosen.....the ones that break my heart are the ones that were injured and are very tall members of the middle class....

Well as you might expect...I disagree...most were never going to go to the NBA no matter how many years they played at Gonzaga....and now many of them are multi millionaires ...... including Goss....Many are called to the NBA but few are chosen.....the ones that break my heart are the ones that were injured and are very tall members of the middle class....
    Agree, but for Goss and several others the money would have come regardless of the length of their campus tenure. How much is a year at GU playing for such a spectacular program and in such a wonderful environment worth? Bart, I don’t think there are enough zeros to capture that value. Just MO.

Cory Kispert's Wizards vs, Brooklyn on NBA TV now. Box Score

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    It will be interesting to see who has the better career Cunningham or Suggs
    My brother, who is really good at predicting NBA success of college players he's familiar with (he was adamant that Dillon Brooks should have been a mid first rounder, for one example of many; Brooks went something like 42 or 45) believes that Cunningham is overrated, and says Suggs should have been the first pick. He's a Duck fan who will watch the Zags' marquee games with me, so doesn't have a bias here.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    My brother, who is really good at predicting NBA success of college players he's familiar with (he was adamant that Dillon Brooks should have been a mid first rounder, for one example of many; Brooks went something like 42 or 45) believes that Cunningham is overrated, and says Suggs should have been the first pick. He's a Duck fan who will watch the Zags' marquee games with me, so doesn't have a bias here.
    What did your brother think of Steve Courtin?

What did your brother think of Steve Courtin?
    Too young to know, as am I (barely).

Wizards vs Nets way less than zero, hero ball. Absolute garbage. Giving the game a bad name etc. Corey looking, as you'd expect, embarrassed to be there "playing."

Wonder if the NBA has any sense that televising these games is a multiple daily embarrassment to its brand? For every Suggs exciting play there are hours of dreadful, anti-basketball being played, bloated rosters, inexperienced coaches and refs, and I’d imagine disinterested fans. I assume ESPN is paying well for the blight it’s foisting on our tv screens, so there’s that.

trying not to put too much weight on summer league, but my thoughts on Kispert in the pros havent changed based on his first two games. Suggs has looked exceptional.

Checking in on Kispert, 0-6 from 3

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    Checking in on Kispert, 0-6 from 3
    Good time to do it, just like Neil Armstrong crashing the moon lander simulator in the desert.

Well, maybe...not quite...lol

Suggs Magic vs. Celtics on ESPN 2 now. Box Score

\Filip Petrusev's 76ers vs Atlanta Hawks on now on ESPN 2. Box Score

This is what happens when they pass the ball to Joel when he's open. To bad it doesn't happen often.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1425647894057693186

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post

What does your brother think of Kispert's chances?

He fell out of the lottery range (but just by 1 pick!) and many project him as a surefire NBA rotation player and contributor.

I loved CK for Gonzaga his junior and senior year, but I am lower than most on his NBA prospects. (3-13 from 3PT so far) I think his struggles defending and getting his shot off vs elite athletes in college will only be magnified in the NBA, especially on a team like the wizards where there's no Lebron or Giannis to draw the defense and leave him overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag View Post
    What does your brother think of Kispert's chances?

He fell out of the lottery range (but just by 1 pick!) and many project him as a surefire NBA rotation player and contributor.

I loved CK for Gonzaga his junior and senior year, but I am lower than most on his NBA prospects. (3-13 from 3PT so far) I think his struggles defending and getting his shot off vs elite athletes in college will only be magnified in the NBA, especially on a team like the wizards where there's no Lebron or Giannis to draw the defense and leave him overlooked.
    See how this mimics MGK's brother: "Love his work ethic, but in college, Corey was rarely required to create his own shot, either off the dribble or closely guarded coming off a screen, and now is not the time to learn the skill. His passes leading to a bucket by a screener after a roll have been negligible at best. Most important: He's incapable of defending either NBA small forwards or bigger guards. Will get stuffed at the rim most of the time he attempts to drive or take a pass to the bucket. As a one-dimensional catch and shoot player, his 3 point shooting percentage will never exceed 35%. His handles are way below average for an NBA tweener. By the time he's out of the league in two years, folks will be saying if only he'd been half as good as Kyle Korver he might have been worth the pick & what were the Wiz front office thinking, etc.

Can't fathom why the Wizards took him where they did (see subsequent picks Cam Thomas, Trey Murphy). Ayayi was a more complete, multidimensional player, but pleased that Corey will be financially set for life after his brief stint in The League. With his obvious intelligence & accounting degree, wouldn't be surprised to see him as a part owner of an NBA franchise some years down the road.

Few things here..

Staying an extra year does not guarantee anything in terms of pro success and can be a hindrance. If Pargo left after his junior year heís a first round pick. If Elias Harris left after his freshman year heís a lottery pick. Even if you canít stick in the league, if you play 4 years as a lottery pick youíve made a lot of money.

NBA basketball is very good. I understand why some donít enjoy it, as itís certainly different from college hoops, but thereís a reason none of the coaches go from the NBA to college unless they no longer have a spot in the NBA.

Corey is going to be very good in a regular season setting. Summer league is not reflective at all of the NBA and what it takes to be successful. Only thing here is he has to shoot it at 40%+ from 3 by the time heís in his 3rd year or else he wonít make it. Margins are small at the top.

The top of the NBA draft is almost always going to be upside. No matter if Suggs declared in 2021 or 2022, there was gonna be 3-4 players with more upside than him. He wasnít going to be a top 3 pick without a weak top of the class, which ironically we saw a bit in 2020. But Jalenís strengths arenít super rare NBA traits, so his draft range is going to be 4-6 in a normal year. That said, I think he can be a very good pro and I think Orlando is gonna be a good spot for him.

Haven't discussed Kispert much w/ bro, but I thought after CK's tourney performance that he'd drop into the 20's in the draft, and I think bro pretty much agreed. We both thought that Duarte was a somewhat similar player who would be a better pro; almost as good a shooter/scorer who had to create his shot more in college, and a much better defender.

CK has always been a streaky shooter; imo his confidence/rhythm seems to ebb and flow. You can almost sense on his release if the shot's going in or not. I think his jr year he had a 2/19 stretch on 3's, and after that he got red hot and had a 60%+ stretch. I think he tightened up in the tourney last year; just my opinion. Haven't watched summer league except for yesterday's Suggs/Pritchard matchup, sadly derailed.

My opinion is that Kispert's NBA success will depend on being on a team where he's surrounded by skilled and unselfish passers who will get him the ball on time and on target when he's open. If he has to press to get his looks he'll struggle, imo.

I think I was the first to make the comp of CK to Majerle, when I went to the spring Wa. premier league after CK's jr year in hs. I think the comp still holds, and he could do well, but he could just as easily wash out if he's in the wrong system, which is the case w/ a lot of the NBA. Look at the diff for Sabonis in OKC v Ind, for ex., or Wiltjer at Ky v GU.

ETA one more thought. Sam Houser made 6 of 8 threes for the Celts yest. A couple or 3 of them came off plays where Pritchard penetrated and kicked to a wing left open by defensive off ball help, and the wing immediately made a second pass to a wide open Hauser in the corner. That's the kind of play Kispert needs around him to succeed.