Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Zags in Summer League 2021

Here is the current schedule of Zags in summer league, with J. Williams added:

Hondo....such a sweet guy!
    Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Zagnative You are the very best there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    Here is a cool video of Corey's first day as a pro!

Washington Wizards.
    Very cool. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Hondo....such a sweet guy!
    Ahh c’mon, aren’t you guys practically neighbors?

Washington Wizards.
    Notice Jenn in a couple of shots.

Not a very good showing by any of the three today.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Not a very good showing by any of the three today.
    I think that one of the reasons is that Gonzaga teaches a team game. A year, or more, and the Zags are willing to pass, to defer and set screens etc., all the things it takes for a team to win. The summer league is about "What have you done for me lately", players wanting to score rather than pass. Zags tend to not do as well.

Maybe the NBA is that way too. Some players, like Sabonis, are able to inflict themselves upon the game, hence his trple doubles. KO does that too.
    It will be nice to see how the current crop of Zags trend.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Will, You are spot on. Why do so many of our friends here abhor NBA since its play is so individual instead of what we see from Few's teams? I can't wait for November and Zags "team" game against WCC and the rest of the NCAA. Go Zags. Another winning and great year coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I think that one of the reasons is that Gonzaga teaches a team game. A year, or more, and the Zags are willing to pass, to defer and set screens etc., all the things it takes for a team to win. The summer league is about "What have you done for me lately", players wanting to score rather than pass. Zags tend to not do as well.

Maybe the NBA is that way too. Some players, like Sabonis, are able to inflict themselves upon the game, hence his trple doubles. KO does that too.
    It will be nice to see how the current crop of Zags trend.
    Wholeheartedly agree with the your comment about GU guys being team players. I also wonder about the summer league coaches’ strategies. Only in the second half of Joel’s last game did he seem to have permission to move around instead of staying in the corner. His teammates didn’t pass much and me first basketball prevailed.

I also would like to express appreciation for ZagNative’s wonderful contribution!
    Bonjour tristesse.

Washington Wizards.
    Thanks, Radbooks for a really good video of Corey in DC.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

‘I think I can learn a ton’: Jalen Suggs eager to begin summer league

Orlando Magic rookie Jalen Suggs views the Las Vegas Summer League as a tremendous opportunity to learn and grow on the court, and the fifth overall pick can’t wait to get started.

https://sports.yahoo.com/think-learn...155753535.html

On now on ESPNU, Killian Tillie's Grizzlies vs. Zach Norvell's San Antonie Spurs. Box Score

I feel sorry for Norvell. In no way was he ready for the NBA. Great kid but deficient in many areas, I hope he excels but doubt overrides. Great size but defense "so so" and hi LD shooting and midrange need more work. Just IMHO.

This morning I found Ryan Woolridge on OKC's summer league roster, so I added him to the Zag alum schedule for summer league:

Last edited by ZagNative; 08-08-2021 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I feel sorry for Norvell. In no way was he ready for the NBA. Great kid but deficient in many areas, I hope he excels but doubt overrides. Great size but defense "so so" and hi LD shooting and midrange need more work. Just IMHO.
    Doc, did he play as I don't recall him getting into the game...just like JWIII didn't get into the Kings' game...

This morning I found Ryan Woolridge on OKC's summer league roster, so I added him to the Zag alum schedule for summer league:

THANK YOU for doing ALL THIS WORK!!! I (we) really appreciate your efforts!!!

Dang! Tonight's Wizards-Pacers game, slated to tip off at 5:00, has been postponed! https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/n...ety-protocols/
    The NBA announced that the Las Vegas Summer League game between the Indiana Pacers and Washington Wizards set to take place Sunday at 8 p.m. ET has been postponed due to health and safety protocols. The Wizards won't have enough available players to suit up due to ongoing contact tracing.

"Because of ongoing contact tracing within the Wizards, the team does not have enough available players to proceed with tonight's game against the Pacers."

Washington announced Saturday that three players -- Cassius Winston, Issuf Sanon and Isaiah Todd -- all entered health and safety protocols. The Las Vegas Summer League just started on Aug. 8, after a year absence due to the COVID-19 pandemic. There have been heightened health protocols put in place to ensure the safety of everyone in attendance, but it's impossible to completely eradicate the risk of COVID-19 without a bubble present.

Joel in the starting line up for the Lakers vs the Suns. Box Score

It is worth noting that the NBATV games are probably also on the ESPN app.
    This is useful for those without NBATV.

Joel in the starting line up for the Lakers vs the Suns. Box Score
    0-3, 5reb, 1ast, 1stl, 2TO, -8. I only got to see him play for about 5 minutes, but he looked really passive during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    0-3, 5reb, 1ast, 1stl, 2TO, -8. I only got to see him play for about 5 minutes, but he looked really passive during that time.
    Maybe he'll join Leo at PSG.....assume they have a Euro BB team.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Maybe he'll join Leo at PSG.....assume they have a Euro BB team.
    He already signed a two way contract with the Lakers for this season, so you’ll have to wait at least one more year to push him to Europe.

Not a great setting for Joel. His best attributes is doing little things right which benefit a good team--not gonna show out in summer league.

That said, I'm probably more concerned about his NBA future than before. Think it'll be an uphill climb from the 2 way spot when you don't do much to especially stand out offensively and aren't a solidly plus defender at that level.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    He already signed a two way contract with the Lakers for this season, so you’ll have to wait at least one more year to push him to Europe.
    Not as secure as you probably think. The money is, not the relationship. But enough bucks for a wardrobe worthy of Paris.

"Summarily, the following will be true of a player who signs a two-way contract: He'll be on both the G League and NBA teams. He'll enjoy guaranteed payments, but there's no contract security because he can be replaced by another two-way player at any time."

It's a joke how they are playing Joel. He runs down and stands in the corner, and nobody is willing to pass him the ball. When he does get the ball he tries to be a team player to his detriment. He needs to be way more aggressive in attacking the rim in my opinion. They took him out with 3 minutes to go last night because they were behind and he was doing nothing offensively. I hope Kory and Jalen are more aggressive