Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zags in Summer League 2021

Hybrid View

Default Zags in Summer League 2021

Should be fun to see our guys in their initial gigs with their NBA teams in Summer League. Here's what I've noted to follow up on their gamedays:

Last edited by ZagNative; 08-02-2021 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks for your hard work as always ZN. Maybe you can update the table to add Filip as well

Quote Originally Posted by The509sfinest View Post
    Thanks for your hard work as always ZN. Maybe you can update the table to add Filip as well
    Petrusev may not participate. The Sixers have alluded that they may have taken him as a “draft and stash” depth piece.

Petrusev was a no-brainer pick for Morey in the second round this year. While the Sixers President believes there's certainly a role on the Sixers for the Serbian center in the future, Morey is quite certain that he'll continue his professional career overseas as a stash.

“We think Petrusev is someone who has a real chance to help up down the road," Morey explained. "He’ll likely start overseas and be someone who could come over later.” While Morey wouldn't rule out the chance of Petrusev making an appearance on the Sixers' Summer League team, it could be a while before he comes over and plays at the Wells Fargo Center for the first time.

https://www.si.com/nba/76ers/news/si...as-next-season
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

Done. Yeah, I initially didn't add him because it seemed unlikely to me he'd end up playing. However, I did find him listed on a post that purported to show the 76ers summer league roster, so I added him. I'll be surprised if he actually shows up, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by The509sfinest View Post

Do number 5 picks generally play in the summer league?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I saw Zion and RJ Barrett play against each other in Summer League so I would assume so.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
    I saw Zion and RJ Barrett play against each other in Summer League so I would assume so.
    Ok, thx.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
    Question: Wasn't that when Zion hurt his knee or am I thinking of another time?

Might not play every game, but certainly will play.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Hondo....such a sweet guy!
    Ahh címon, arenít you guys practically neighbors?

It will be interesting to see who has the better career Cunningham or Suggs

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    It will be interesting to see who has the better career Cunningham or Suggs
    My brother, who is really good at predicting NBA success of college players he's familiar with (he was adamant that Dillon Brooks should have been a mid first rounder, for one example of many; Brooks went something like 42 or 45) believes that Cunningham is overrated, and says Suggs should have been the first pick. He's a Duck fan who will watch the Zags' marquee games with me, so doesn't have a bias here.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    My brother, who is really good at predicting NBA success of college players he's familiar with (he was adamant that Dillon Brooks should have been a mid first rounder, for one example of many; Brooks went something like 42 or 45) believes that Cunningham is overrated, and says Suggs should have been the first pick. He's a Duck fan who will watch the Zags' marquee games with me, so doesn't have a bias here.
    What did your brother think of Steve Courtin?

What did your brother think of Steve Courtin?
    Too young to know, as am I (barely).

Wizards vs Nets way less than zero, hero ball. Absolute garbage. Giving the game a bad name etc. Corey looking, as you'd expect, embarrassed to be there "playing."

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post

What does your brother think of Kispert's chances?

He fell out of the lottery range (but just by 1 pick!) and many project him as a surefire NBA rotation player and contributor.

I loved CK for Gonzaga his junior and senior year, but I am lower than most on his NBA prospects. (3-13 from 3PT so far) I think his struggles defending and getting his shot off vs elite athletes in college will only be magnified in the NBA, especially on a team like the wizards where there's no Lebron or Giannis to draw the defense and leave him overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag View Post
    What does your brother think of Kispert's chances?

He fell out of the lottery range (but just by 1 pick!) and many project him as a surefire NBA rotation player and contributor.

I loved CK for Gonzaga his junior and senior year, but I am lower than most on his NBA prospects. (3-13 from 3PT so far) I think his struggles defending and getting his shot off vs elite athletes in college will only be magnified in the NBA, especially on a team like the wizards where there's no Lebron or Giannis to draw the defense and leave him overlooked.
    See how this mimics MGK's brother: "Love his work ethic, but in college, Corey was rarely required to create his own shot, either off the dribble or closely guarded coming off a screen, and now is not the time to learn the skill. His passes leading to a bucket by a screener after a roll have been negligible at best. Most important: He's incapable of defending either NBA small forwards or bigger guards. Will get stuffed at the rim most of the time he attempts to drive or take a pass to the bucket. As a one-dimensional catch and shoot player, his 3 point shooting percentage will never exceed 35%. His handles are way below average for an NBA tweener. By the time he's out of the league in two years, folks will be saying if only he'd been half as good as Kyle Korver he might have been worth the pick & what were the Wiz front office thinking, etc.

Can't fathom why the Wizards took him where they did (see subsequent picks Cam Thomas, Trey Murphy). Ayayi was a more complete, multidimensional player, but pleased that Corey will be financially set for life after his brief stint in The League. With his obvious intelligence & accounting degree, wouldn't be surprised to see him as a part owner of an NBA franchise some years down the road.

Few things here..

Staying an extra year does not guarantee anything in terms of pro success and can be a hindrance. If Pargo left after his junior year heís a first round pick. If Elias Harris left after his freshman year heís a lottery pick. Even if you canít stick in the league, if you play 4 years as a lottery pick youíve made a lot of money.

NBA basketball is very good. I understand why some donít enjoy it, as itís certainly different from college hoops, but thereís a reason none of the coaches go from the NBA to college unless they no longer have a spot in the NBA.

Corey is going to be very good in a regular season setting. Summer league is not reflective at all of the NBA and what it takes to be successful. Only thing here is he has to shoot it at 40%+ from 3 by the time heís in his 3rd year or else he wonít make it. Margins are small at the top.

The top of the NBA draft is almost always going to be upside. No matter if Suggs declared in 2021 or 2022, there was gonna be 3-4 players with more upside than him. He wasnít going to be a top 3 pick without a weak top of the class, which ironically we saw a bit in 2020. But Jalenís strengths arenít super rare NBA traits, so his draft range is going to be 4-6 in a normal year. That said, I think he can be a very good pro and I think Orlando is gonna be a good spot for him.

This is what happens when they pass the ball to Joel when he's open. To bad it doesn't happen often.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1425647894057693186

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I believe he suffered a hip injury

Better showing for CK today, 10 at halftime on 4-7 shooting.

https://www.espn.com/nba-summer-leag...mmer-las-vegas

Nice game for Corey as the Wizards beat the Bucks 93-83, Corey with 18 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 blocks. Box Score

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I believe he suffered a hip injury
    He was under the basket, floor was wet. His foot slipped and he did the splits. Looked like a groin pull.

Brandon Clarke was just interviewed. Funny that since there wasn’t summer league last year he is still the reigning summer league MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    Brandon Clarke was just interviewed. Funny that since there wasn’t summer league last year he is still the reigning summer league MVP.
    I hope that he was just banged up a bit last year. He didn't see the floor much at the end of the season. If he fell out of favor with his staff I hope he ends up in a better situation. I know he doesn't shoot much from range but he is still capable of being productive.