Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Zags in Summer League 2021

Why do they sign so many players, if they are never going to see the floor?

I understand wanting to see your top five, top ten...but the ones like Norvelle that never sniff the floor seems like a waste and almost an insult.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by zag944 View Post
    Unfortunately for Joel and quite a few of our better backcourt players over the years, I don't think any of the NBA auditioning stuff for 2nd round/undrafted level players does them any favors. Kind of crazy that as steady as our guard play has been the last decade we've only had all those guys combined play in about 20 regular season games (I know Pargo snuck back in a few times too but he's a 2009 grad).

Hopefully Jalen and Corey can turn this around and show the league the value of a zag in the backcourt. I don't think we've had a first round guard since Dickau so this is a good opportunity to show potential recruits what type of guards we can produce!
    I would imagine that the Lakers are oretty sure that they know what Joel is capable of bringing. They probably have a little more leeway with him than with many of the others.

He may end up in the G league for most of the season, but they will work with him there too, maybe more than they would with the big team.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Cory Kispert's Wizards vs. the Kings now under way on NBA TV. Box Score

Well, that wasn't very impressive ...

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Jitters of a Frosh. He’ll get better....

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

rough outing but at least they are running plays for him, nice to see. Defense will be a real test forever

watching these games, wow, it's just not good basketball even though the players are incredibly skilled, but the basketball? it's literally terrible. I'll watch Jalen again today at 3pm because it's Jalen, but following the NBA...no way. Watched Pistons Rockets last night, Green already getting the Trae whistles when someone breathes on him. If everyone got those calls, fine, but only some get them. The NBA

Hard for him to get any traction when his entire team decided to play hero ball instead of running anything that remotely resembled a play.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    watching these games, wow, it's just not good basketball even though the players are incredibly skilled, but the basketball? it's literally terrible. I'll watch Jalen again today at 3pm because it's Jalen, but following the NBA...no way. Watched Pistons Rockets last night, Green already getting the Trae whistles when someone breathes on him. If everyone got those calls, fine, but only some get them. The NBA
    This is summer league. It's completely different than regular season NBA games.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    This is summer league. It's completely different than regular season NBA games.
    thanks. I remember watching Ammo in summer league way back when, others over the years, trying to emerge or re emerge. the same NBA summer league....

and the NBA is generally bad basketball too, sorry. Steve Kerr even says so. The skill is sick awesome, best ever from top to bottom, absolutely, but the money, the rules, the officiating, the team building...it's entertainment if you're into that kind of show with star building: screen roll screen pop screen roll iso iso iso rebound run rebound run rebound run, espn highlights , now sell some shoes, some drink, some alcohol, some car, sponsor this or that...whatever. the summer league is the market intro for these players...I get it. I'll watch Jalen, but the basketball generally is bad and the officials massage everything in both the NBA and summer league more than the NFL imo, which is hard to do. At least in the playoffs the players will risk themselves more than in the regular season, where half the teams might as well be the Washington Generals on the road. The WNBA play the game of basketball better, the NBA has incredible ridiculous talent that creates tons of cash. Good show, and every now and then some good basketball too....

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    thanks. I remember watching Ammo in summer league way back when, others over the years, trying to emerge or re emerge. the same NBA summer league....

and the NBA is generally bad basketball too, sorry. Steve Kerr even says so. The skill is sick awesome, best ever from top to bottom, absolutely, but the money, the rules, the officiating, the team building...it's entertainment if you're into that kind of show with star building: screen roll screen pop screen roll iso iso iso rebound run rebound run rebound run, espn highlights , now sell some shoes, some drink, some alcohol, some car, sponsor this or that...whatever. the summer league is the market intro for these players...I get it. I'll watch Jalen, but the basketball generally is bad and the officials massage everything in both the NBA and summer league more than the NFL imo, which is hard to do. At least in the playoffs the players will risk themselves more than in the regular season, where half the teams might as well be the Washington Generals on the road. The WNBA play the game of basketball better, the NBA has incredible ridiculous talent that creates tons of cash. Good show, and every now and then some good basketball too....
    I agree the officiating is uneven. And that they run a lot of iso (not as much as summer league though which it's basically just inter-team scrimmages without having practiced together). The Nuggets pass a lot. and usually have great off-ball movement. They're fun to watch.

Killian Tillie starts on the bench for the Grizzlies vs. Miami Heat now on NBA TV. Box Score

Jalen Suggs starting for Orlando vs. Evan Mobley's Cavaliers on ESPN 2 now. Box Score

Suggsy with another great game. That putback dunk is getting lots of love on social media.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

The good news is that Jalen will probably start.....the bad news is that he is in Florida.....when will he be a free agent ???

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    The good news is that Jalen will probably start.....the bad news is that he is in Florida.....when will he be a free agent ???
    Start? ROY!

Highlights from today's game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwf0eXjhAx4

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Highlights from today's game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwf0eXjhAx4
    Thanks for sharing. Good stuff.

Joel Ayayi starting for the Lakers vs. the Knicks on ESPN 2 now. Box Score

Joel Ayayi starting for the Lakers vs. the Knicks on ESPN 2 now. Box Score
    Lot better for Joel. Jalen though, he looks like a natural. I remember playing with a few guys who were just “different “ skills are like most of us but when needed they did the most unanticipated spectacular things like this putback dunk! Up big fella!’

I think Jalen should have stayed....he would have won a National Championship.....been !st Team All American......won the Player of the Year...... the Naismith....the Cousy.....the Jabbar.....Defensive Player of the Year.....the Heisman....a Emmy.... a Oscar....Been the #1 Pick.... and could have made more than the piddling 6 Million Orlando is paying him.....right doc

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I think Jalen should have stayed....he would have won a National Championship.....been !st Team All American......won the Player of the Year...... the Naismith....the Cousy.....the Jabbar.....Defensive Player of the Year.....the Heisman....a Emmy.... a Oscar....Been the #1 Pick.... and could have made more than the piddling 6 Million Orlando is paying him.....right doc
    The single reason Jalen might’ve stayed was to play with his buddy, and that thought dissipated real fast.

It will be interesting to see who has the better career Cunningham or Suggs