Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Constitutional Convention

Default NCAA Constitutional Convention

The NCAA is completely recreating it’s constitution, starting with a clean sheet, and is to have it complete this fall. The NCAA Board of Governors has already established a charter establishing a Constitution Review Committee with 11 D1 members, three D2 members, three D3 members and two independent members.

https://247sports.com/Article/NCAA-a...on--168509071/

All sports and all division structures will be considered in the creation of the new constitution. A rules and bylaws review will follow the constitution adoption.

https://www.ncaa.org/constitution-re...mittee-charter
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Too little, too late.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Too little, too late.
    Emmett has not been the transformational leader that the NCAA needed to make the NCAA adaptive, flexible, and nimble. How far down the road are we before the NCAA announces “ The Association’s actions related to the student-athlete experience and support, or in some cases inaction, has not gone unnoticed.” If they took any longer to notice, someone would be getting it written in stone and brought down from a mountain.

I hope they can get someone in that committee that can blow things up but not holding my breath. Maybe it can be Mike Roth’s final act.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

doomed

Mike too smart for that suicide mission

Can you say Kodak ....when the world has passed you by.....maybe the President will give them a billion bucks and they can reorganize in England and get into Crypto Currency and Blockchain Technology .....

Let’s be real, the majority of the major changes are for football. The conferences know that March Madness is a cash cow that they aren’t going to mess with much. All other sports are monetary losers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Let’s be real, the majority of the major changes are for football. The conferences know that March Madness is a cash cow that they aren’t going to mess with much. All other sports are monetary losers

The former President of the ESPN, John Skipper, has a different vision than you do according to this podcast ------------> https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000530421713

I'll summarize for you:

John Skipper talked about a 4 x 16 team college organization on Dan Le Batard's podcast and also suggested that the new organization of 64 teams could have their own end of season, BB tournament and include all 64 teams. Then split up the money from the BB tournament between the 4 conferences.

This isn't your typical pundit talking as you can't get a better view of the "insider" agenda than from the former President of the ESPN. Their vision of "cash cow" is splitting all of the money between four super conferences. It is deceiving to say that this is not being talked about in influential circles.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    The former President of the ESPN, John Skipper, has a different vision than you do according to this podcast ------------> https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000530421713

I'll summarize for you:

John Skipper talked about a 4 x 16 team college organization on Dan Le Batard's podcast and also suggested that the new organization of 64 teams could have their own end of season, BB tournament and include all 64 teams. Then split up the money from the BB tournament between the 4 conferences.

This isn't your typical pundit talking as you can't get a better view of the "insider" agenda than from the former President of the ESPN. Their vision of "cash cow" is splitting all of the money between four super conferences. It is deceiving to say that this is not being talked about in influential circles.
    Thank goodness, there are other networks of influence like CBS and Fox

Content is KING and the universities have most of the cards .....the product.....the facilities, the scholarships , the fan base

The trillion dollar global media companies have the programing and distribution networks and will pay billions for the Content....the product

The NCAA and the Conferences have to prove that they can provide a useful Service for a reasonable amount of time at a competitive cost..

Why pay a middle man if you don't need him ....??? This is going to be interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilGolfZag View Post
    Thank goodness, there are other networks of influence like CBS and Fox
    I think it is more than a coincidence that 16 is repeatedly referenced as the magic number for conference size, that 4 is repeatedly referenced as the magic number for "super conferences" , or that 64 (4 X 16) is repeatedly referenced for the total number of teams.

To me, 64 sounds much more like a basketball number than a football number. The tournament transition would be almost seamless, and the "cash cow" wouldn't have to give "units" to those pesky, undeserving mid majors. Further, EVERY member institution would receive a proportional number of units instead (That is the "hook" for athletic directors). The "David verse Goliath" aspect would still remain relatively intact. Don't forget that the PAC 12 "surprise" was the story of the last tournament (The new, improved version of David verse Goliath). They rationalize that giving you the opportunity to switch to another West Coast team is a calculation that has been analyzed and the calculated gamble is that a relevant portion of you will make that switch, which makes their vision fall well within the margins of acceptable short term loss.

Now is not the time to sit on your hands. It has to be made clear to the world that you aren't going to switch to WAZZU as a primary rooting interest. If you wait until a piece of the sky hits you, it is going to be too late.
    I miss Mike Hart

I'll summarize for you:

I’m telling you I’m not worried at all, as things never end up being as good or as bad as they seem initially.

I can tell you that March Madness loses its magic if it’s a four conference invitational with half the tournament horrible teams. The networks know that and the schools know that. If you think Gonzaga will be left out in the cold, it’s simply not going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk kc

I think it is more than a coincidence that 16 is repeatedly referenced as the magic number for conference size, that 4 is repeatedly referenced as the magic number for "super conferences" , or that 64 (4 X 16) is repeatedly referenced for the total number of teams.

To me, 64 sounds much more like a basketball number than a football number. The tournament transition would be almost seamless, and the "cash cow" wouldn't have to give "units" to those pesky, undeserving mid majors. Further, EVERY member institution would receive a proportional number of units instead (That is the "hook" for athletic directors). The "David verse Goliath" aspect would still remain relatively intact. Don't forget that the PAC 12 "surprise" was the story of the last tournament (The new, improved version of David verse Goliath). They rationalize that giving you the opportunity to switch to another West Coast team is a calculation that has been analyzed and the calculated gamble is that a relevant portion of you will make that switch, which makes their vision fall well within the margins of acceptable short term loss.

Now is not the time to sit on your hands. It has to be made clear to the world that you aren't going to switch to WAZZU as a primary rooting interest. If you wait until a piece of the sky hits you, it is going to be too late.
    That is my worry.

If the next round of realignment yields four sixteen-team super conferences, those conferences are likely to be highly protective of their membership and their revenue sources. The four big football conferences might decide to crown their own basketball champion without inviting teams from the twenty-eight other leagues. Their new tournament might not generate as much total revenue as the current format, but they wouldn’t need to share the revenue outside of their exclusive club. A smaller pie shared as sixty-four pieces may yield bigger pieces than a larger pie distributed across 353 members in 32 conferences.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    That is my worry.

If the next round of realignment yields four sixteen-team super conferences, those conferences are likely to be highly protective of their membership and their revenue sources. The four big football conferences might decide to crown their own basketball champion without inviting teams from the twenty-eight other leagues. Their new tournament might not generate as much total revenue as the current format, but they wouldn’t need to share the revenue outside of their exclusive club. A smaller pie shared as sixty-four pieces may yield bigger pieces than a larger pie distributed across 353 members in 32 conferences.
    It wouldn’t necessarily be more lucrative as most of the smaller league invites are one and done anyway. Viewership would go down and splits wouldn’t really be much bigger, if at all.

The P4 concept is almost exclusively tied to football as that is where most of the money is at. CBB is profitable at some schools. Nearly all other sports are losers across the board

EDIT: The pie is not shared equally across all conference in March Madness. It’s based on units for games played by conference teams in the tournament

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk no

stop the steal....

It wouldn’t necessarily be more lucrative as most of the smaller league invites are one and done anyway. Viewership would go down and splits wouldn’t really be much bigger, if at all.

The P4 concept is almost exclusively tied to football as that is where most of the money is at. CBB is profitable at some schools. Nearly all other sports are losers across the board

EDIT: The pie is not shared equally across all conference in March Madness. It’s based on units for games played by conference teams in the tournament

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk no
    The P5 schools are not as much concerned about the overall profitability of the NCAA Tournament. They are concerned about maximizing their take. It the overall profits go down but they can increase their take, they will move that way. The administrators admit it. They will sub optimize the tournament to improve their immediate profits.

- Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Four conferences? You don't even have to reinvent "The Road to the Final Four" storyline. Regional Pods? It will just be a reinvention of conference tournaments. Kind of like converting the Rose Bowl into a semi final playoff game. Tradition means nothing to these folks.

It is all setting up so perfectly. You don't get to this kind of perfection without long term planning. This has been in the works for years.
    Last edited by MickMick; 08-02-2021 at 01:51 AM.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    The P5 schools are not as much concerned about the overall profitability of the NCAA Tournament. They are concerned about maximizing their take. It the overall profits go down but they can increase their take, they will move that way. The administrators admit it. They will sub optimize the tournament to improve their immediate profits.

They are also smart enough to not destroy a $1B per year tournament in order to make a few million more in the short term. Everything that is happening is almost completely about football, it just is.

They are also smart enough to not destroy a $1B per year tournament in order to make a few million more ...
    That I am not confident about.

- Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    That I am not confident about.

That is certainly your prerogative. I tend to be a realist that sees this as being mostly about football, which is the only sport that really moves the needle in an athletic program for most P5 schools. College football, before the new rights deals are made, is worth over $4B annually (90% of which is generated by P5 schools). College basketball, including all the smaller conferences, is at just about $1B annually.

The one problem with the 4x16 approach for BB is that that the two connected drivers of March Madness are small school upsets and gambling. Going to 4x16 power conference schools is likely to cause a hit to both. It may be that an increase to football revenue is sufficient to offset loss in basketball revenue, which would be the real danger for schools like Gonzaga.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I do not think any of this will have a significant effect on Gonzaga or the WCC or March Madness.......

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I do not think any of this will have a significant effect on Gonzaga or the WCC or March Madness.......
    Correct....

Bring back Benjamin Franklin!

The NCAA can do and say what they want, but they are at the mercy of CBS/Turner and all TV entities. So is every power conference. They want the Morehead State's and the Mercer's in the field. 25% of all workers participate in a pool. Vegas overflows with people. The thing is driven by upsets and gambling. Basketball and its championship format is way different than football, and although football is the big ticket item, more people still watch the Final 4 than the NBA finals. It matters greatly to TV.