X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kitzbuel
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    It wouldn’t necessarily be more lucrative as most of the smaller league invites are one and done anyway. Viewership would go down and splits wouldn’t really be much bigger, if at all.

The P4 concept is almost exclusively tied to football as that is where most of the money is at. CBB is profitable at some schools. Nearly all other sports are losers across the board

EDIT: The pie is not shared equally across all conference in March Madness. It’s based on units for games played by conference teams in the tournament

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk no
    The P5 schools are not as much concerned about the overall profitability of the NCAA Tournament. They are concerned about maximizing their take. It the overall profits go down but they can increase their take, they will move that way. The administrators admit it. They will sub optimize the tournament to improve their immediate profits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• MickMick
      Zag for Life
      • Apr 2007

Four conferences? You don't even have to reinvent "The Road to the Final Four" storyline. Regional Pods? It will just be a reinvention of conference tournaments. Kind of like converting the Rose Bowl into a semi final playoff game. Tradition means nothing to these folks.

It is all setting up so perfectly. You don't get to this kind of perfection without long term planning. This has been in the works for years.
      Last edited by MickMick; 08-02-2021, 12:51 AM.
      I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• Mr Vulture
        Zag for Life
        • May 2008

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
        The P5 schools are not as much concerned about the overall profitability of the NCAA Tournament. They are concerned about maximizing their take. It the overall profits go down but they can increase their take, they will move that way. The administrators admit it. They will sub optimize the tournament to improve their immediate profits.

They are also smart enough to not destroy a $1B per year tournament in order to make a few million more in the short term. Everything that is happening is almost completely about football, it just is.

Comment

• kitzbuel
          • Feb 2007

They are also smart enough to not destroy a $1B per year tournament in order to make a few million more ...
          That I am not confident about.

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
          - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• Mr Vulture
            Zag for Life
            • May 2008

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
            That I am not confident about.

That is certainly your prerogative. I tend to be a realist that sees this as being mostly about football, which is the only sport that really moves the needle in an athletic program for most P5 schools. College football, before the new rights deals are made, is worth over $4B annually (90% of which is generated by P5 schools). College basketball, including all the smaller conferences, is at just about $1B annually.

Comment

• webspinnre
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

The one problem with the 4x16 approach for BB is that that the two connected drivers of March Madness are small school upsets and gambling. Going to 4x16 power conference schools is likely to cause a hit to both. It may be that an increase to football revenue is sufficient to offset loss in basketball revenue, which would be the real danger for schools like Gonzaga.
              I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• bartruff1
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2010

I do not think any of this will have a significant effect on Gonzaga or the WCC or March Madness.......

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                  Zag for Life
                  • May 2008

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                  I do not think any of this will have a significant effect on Gonzaga or the WCC or March Madness.......
                  Correct....

Comment

• CDC84
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Bring back Benjamin Franklin!

Comment

• CDC84
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

The NCAA can do and say what they want, but they are at the mercy of CBS/Turner and all TV entities. So is every power conference. They want the Morehead State's and the Mercer's in the field. 25% of all workers participate in a pool. Vegas overflows with people. The thing is driven by upsets and gambling. Basketball and its championship format is way different than football, and although football is the big ticket item, more people still watch the Final 4 than the NBA finals. It matters greatly to TV.

Comment

• bartruff1
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jan 2010

The Golden Rule is that those that have the gold....make the rules....and 64 is right....it is all about TV/Streaming revenue...

Comment

• Bogozags
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2008

They are also smart enough to not destroy a $1B per year tournament in order to make a few million more in the short term. Everything that is happening is almost completely about football, it just is.
                          The Big Boys will be fine with not having to share ANY monies with 32 other conference teams...why should they care, they haven't so far...

so the other 32 conferences can have their own tournament with 4 X 8 conferences...

Recruiting will be a moot point with the P-4 conferences having all that "MONEY" to spend and all those business contacts to share with the athletes...

It is all about GREED, which put us in this position to begin with...

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                            Zag for Life
                            • May 2008

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
                            The Big Boys will be fine with not having to share ANY monies with 32 other conference teams...why should they care, they haven't so far...

so the other 32 conferences can have their own tournament with 4 X 8 conferences...

Recruiting will be a moot point with the P-4 conferences having all that "MONEY" to spend and all those business contacts to share with the athletes...

It is all about GREED, which put us in this position to begin with...
                            I guess we will see how it shakes out but I feel very confident that there are minimal, if any, changes to March Madness. For many, worst case scenario tends to seem like reality, until it isn't. Speaking strictly from a position of revenue, football drives the bus for the power schools, and that is what this is about. The SEC isn't adding Oklahoma and Texas because they think it will greatly improve their basketball revenues.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                              Zag for Life
                              • Dec 2008

I guess we will see how it shakes out but I feel very confident that there are minimal, if any, changes to March Madness. For many, worst case scenario tends to seem like reality, until it isn't. Speaking strictly from a position of revenue, football drives the bus for the power schools, and that is what this is about. The SEC isn't adding Oklahoma and Texas because they think it will greatly improve their basketball revenues.
                              True, while for others rose colored glasses prevail as the castle burns. On this, we'll see!

Comment

• willandi
                                Zag for Life
                                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by bballbeachbum View Post
                                True, while for others rose colored glasses prevail as the castle burns. On this, we'll see!
                                I promise that it will all work out the way it does.

Our opinions don't matter, so why worry about it.
                                Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

Working...
                                X